I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 120 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

CALVIN IS DONEZO???? FINALLYYYYY.

Rise Haylor 2K16.

wackseed likes this.
  2. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Yas sis.

Rise Haylor.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  3. You are such flop #queerladiesofpopjustice. Rise Kaylor.

CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Too much tinhatting, it's been ruined for me.

eccentricsimply likes this.
  5. Steps are neither subpar nor a girl group and we weren't talking about Fireproof theaux.

Lost In Japan. likes this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I don't care. I've asked several times before for us to focus on One Direction in this thread, is it really that difficult to respect my request?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  7. Not with you posting a million Drake photos... but OKAY be a Steps H8R.

Lost In Japan. likes this.
  8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

.... anyways. I'm not sure if I'll be able to post tonight. I should've worked on an elimination earlier when I was feeling decent, but it's all gone a bit downhill now.

9. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

The... memes... have a point... for the elimination. Discussing artists completely not related to One Direction doesn't.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  10. I will not tolerate any Steps hate regardless of their relevance plus the title of this very thread was relevant to their number one hit Tragedy. Also Louis could never match up to the vocals of Lee Latchford-Evans just saying.

Lost In Japan. and tylerc like this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

The title refers to my opinion on Rock Me leaving. I don't want to seem like an unreasonable person, but it would be nice to actually discuss One Direction in this thread. That's the last I will say on this matter.

12. Don't mind me I'm just being a little sassy it's your thread sis.

13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

It's been a sickening few hours, but I pulled through for you.

Although this cut is making me ill again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#13. Drag Me Down [8.222]

High Score: 11 x 1 (@constantino), 10 x 9 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi, @Fever, @ohnostalgia, @Petty Mayonnaise, @Posh Spears, @Txetxu, @tylerc904, @wackseed, @With The Bands)
    Low Score: 3 x 1 (@iheartpoptarts)

Let's play a game. I think I'll title it the Flop Answer Game. That way I can avoid copyright issues and shade my voters at the same time. I love multitasking.

Flop Answer Game

1. Assuming you have one, metaphorically describe your heart.
    2. Name a common fear (you do not have.)
    3. Water makes up 71% of the planet. What is its most iconic form?
    4. If your bae was a mode of transportation, what would they be?
    5. Over the course of this rate, @ohnostalgia taught many lessons. Name one.
    6. The earth is destroyed but you've survived. What natural phenomenon do you miss?
    7. Name a time when @ohnostalgia supported you.
    8. Can you see?
    9. Are you codependent?
    10. The other girls give your eleven a zero. What do you do?

As most of you know summer 2015 was a difficult time for us fans. I was very very nervous about a One Direction without Zayn. Considering the mediocre singers would almost outnumber the good ones, there was definitely cause for concern. Would Harry and Liam make up for Louis' shortcomings? Would Niall step up and deliver? Would the songs be shit? These questions were echoing over and over again across the greater fandom. Just as I was about to give up on this band, the boys surprised us all by dropping Drag Me Down as the first single from Moonlighting Is Tricky: Adolescent Mumbling. The song smashed, reaching #1 on the UK singles chart and #3 on the Billboard Hot 100. It also spawned the NASA video where we found Harry's one true love- that robot.

Initially I wasn't super impressed with Drag Me Down, mostly with how much Louis is on it. One of my greatest fears in a post Zayn world was Louis getting more parts. After some time with the song I've made peace with the "nobody nobodies" and can admit that Louis' ... unique tone may actually work there. Another issue was Harry's adlibs. Lord knows that boy is my fave, but the ending is not. I can work with a good scream, but those made me genuinely concerned. Harry is just not made to belt like that. This is evident when he loses his voice while trying to hit those notes in Carpool Karaoke. I sincerely hope he can find a vocal coach who gives a shit when he goes solo.

Ultimately, however, this song is a grower. Despite my hesitance, I persevered and by September it was one of my jams. There's a lot to love here- those soaring verses, that sing along chorus, the rocky triumphant vibe. Everything that used to bug me became part of its charm. Drag Me Down works that underdog vibe; it wasn't meant to be perfect. I'm not making excuses, I genuinely believe it to be true. This was One Direction rising from the shadow of their almost breakup, proclaiming yes we're damaged, but you've loved us and we still love you. No joke, it was a bit of a love song to the fans. I'm not saying this to shade Zayn because I supported him leaving and I support his solo career. But it was difficult to have all your illusions about this band shattered. Since the X-Factor, One Direction was heavily marketed using inter-band relationships and the legend of five boys discovering they were soulmates. It sounds a little stupid when I type it out, but these boys were always phenomenal storytellers and they made it so easy to believe their fairy tale. When you have two members fighting it out on twitter, the ugly side is suddenly exposed and you feel a little sick. For so many of us, fair or not, One Direction was a creative outlet to express our feelings. When reality doesn't live up to your imagination it can be heartbreaking. Drag Me Down was a wonderful way to pull us out of the abyss.

Too bad the album that came afterwards was terrible.

Surely my tragic ramblings gave you enough time to submit your ballots. Without further ado I present our Flop Answers!

1. Frozen.
    2. Embarrassment.
    3. Fog.
    4. Icarus' wings.
    5. The true definition of a flop.
    6. Rain as thick as @ohnostalgia's tears.
    7. Never.
    8. Blind as Louis is deaf.
    9. BUT SHE'S SO AFRAID OF FA FA FALLING IN LOVE.
    10. Give Fireproof a 10 for that @ohnostalgia payola.

I am so excited to present you our leaderboard, in order of most floppy to least floppy.

#35. iheartpoptarts (3): "You know what doesn’t make me happy? When I want One Direction and I get Maroon 5 instead." You didn't even try at all.

#34. Subwaykid (5).

#34. SophiaSophia (5): "Well the quality of your music has been dragged down tenfold. Also I can imagine Zayn parts which is just torturing really." Hahahahaha.

#32. Sprockrooster (6) snubs Louis- "I love everything about this except the chorus. I hate the chorus and that is quite a problem for a song."

#32. VivaForever (6) - "This suffers from poor production choices and subpar vocal performances." I think that describes some of your faves, but okay.

#32. Animalia, Daniel! (6).

#28. Up Down Suite (7) "There’s something off about it, like it misses something. I also have a strange attraction to that trap remix with Lunchmoney Lewis. Ratchet 1D could’ve been great."

#28. A$AP Robbie (7)- "It's just a bit unremarkable. Across the whole of Made in the AM there is a will-this-do-ness that kind of seeps through."

#26. Reboot (7.5).

#25. eccentricsimply (8)- "One of the best songs of this album. It was a smart single choice."

#25. Wait, GhettoPrincess (8) isn't hating something? Hallelujah!

#25. MollieSwift21 (8).

#25. Macsun (8)- "One of 1D's better lead singles. Love how sparse the chorus is and how Louis is barely in it. Kudos to Harry trying at the end (yes, shade)." You have a different definition of barely.

#25. DJHazey (8)- "It's feels like it's been forever and a day since I've heard a proper party-hit, so this is refreshing indeed. It's fun but its hook already sounds a bit repetitive (which I know won't bother you), but it leaves me feeling like it's never going to be a favorite. I will tip my cap to them for making a throwback to their older bops, but doing it with a more mature."

#25. sexercise (8)- "Loved it since release. It sounds very demo-ish though. Odd for a lead single."

#19. First2Run (8.5)- "Drag Me Down but feels like it’s a compilation of three different songs and ultimately kind of directionless." You think you're cute.

#19. Mr. Right, Furball, KAG (8.5).

#15. Xanthippe (9)- "Will forever remind me of last summer."

#15. Remorque, thefaceofyou, MarkB, Rasterax (9)

#10. Lost In Japan. (9.5)- "The video is Peak Styles Beauty, and it’s great to hear him pulling double-duty on the ad-libs now that Zayn left." SIS......

#9. tylerc904 (10) experienced the same journey- "The definition of a grower. One of their best singles."

#9. CorgiCorgiCorgi (10) - "This gave me such high expectations for this album…" I FEEL YA.

#9. With The Bands (10)- "A BOP (Not gonna lie this really would’ve suited Zayn)" We'll never know will we?

#9. wackseed (10)- "If I remember correctly, this was one of the first singles that came out for this album, and it was such a jam and the guys all sounded really good and everyone thought “hey, maybe they CAN do this with four members!” And then the rest of the album came out. But still, this song is incredible."

#9. Posh Spears (10)- " Their strongest first single since What Makes You Beautiful. (Maybe even stronger?!)"

#9. Txetxu, Fever, Petty Mayonnaise (10).

Finally, let's hear from Mr. Congeniality and our winner constantino (11)- "THIS DEFIANT, RESILIENT BAWP! This might just be my favourite One Direction single. Their vocal performances are some of the strongest they’ve ever done, I mean individually of course, because Zayn was the best singer by far ‘IMO’. This is a rare moment in their discography where every element of the song is great; the verses are well sung, Liam’s middle-8 is fantastic and the chorus completely goes OFF. Well done boys, your last album was shit but at least the lead single was good! I would have given my 11 to Steal My Girl or Night Changes, which I love equally if not a little bit more, but I feel this is gonna be scored more harshly so lemme give it a hand…"

I'm so sorry dear.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  14. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

It's nice but wouldn't be anywhere near my top 15.

15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Nice to see you posting about Where Do Broken Hearts Go.

16. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Broken Hearts sounds like a great 80's song though.

17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

It's nowhere near Top 15 quality and I will always be upset about this. I'll take it to my grave.

18. Amazing writeup once again!!! And bye to that one.

19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Appreciate the sentiment but I cannot like this post on principle.

20. Wait. If we're playing the Flop Answer Game, I'm pretty sure that means I win!

That was really creative and a lot of fun to read, in any event!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.