I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 125 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Working on the next elimination, but since we're all sharing I have one 11, six 10s, one 9, and two 7s.

2. Actually a really strong top 10, and I'm really happy! The following is a mixture of me being hopeful and realistic:

10. No Control
    9. What A Feeling
    8. Best Song Ever
    7. Tell Me a Lie
    6. Stockholm Syndrome
    5. They Don't Know About Us
    4. What Makes You Beautiful
    3. Fireproof
    2. One Thing
    1. Kiss You

I would be okay with most placements as long as No Control and What A Feeling don't last long and Kiss You and One Thing make top three.

Also, what a pleasant surprise at several of these album tracks being here!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

The album tracks are a who's who of songs fans wanted released as singles. Sometimes I sob over how much more popular One Direction could've been if they hadn't flopped their single choices.

4. So few of their single choices make sense... Especially on Take Me Home. Wow. An album full of perfect bops and they're like we should release Little Things! Plus... Midnight Memories and You & I when Happily, Little White Lies and Diana exist!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. The song I'm most surprised about being top 10 is 'One Thing'! It's always been a bit meh/uninspired to me AND it has a Louis/Niall vocal.

6. Oh and don't even get me started on how Stockholm Syndrome, Up All Night and Tell Me a Lie would've been hits.
    No way! It's for sure one of their best songs.

CorgiCorgiCorgi and ohnostalgia like this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

One Thing is amazing. The acoustic version is to die for. Reminds me of when they were all young and gave a shit.

CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.
  8. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

There are only two songs in the top 10 that'd be severely disappointed if they were number one. I hope my scores are low enough to keep them from it.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Are we ready?

I'm not.

But the rate must go on.

Anyone with scores of 5 and under will be shamed for the duration of the Top 10.

I wish it didn't have to be this way.

But you've all forced my hand.

[​IMG]

#10. They Don't Know About Us [8.381]

High Score: 11 x 2 (@SophiaSophia, @With The Bands), 10 x 11 (@Animalia, @eccentricsimply, @Fever, @KAG, @Macsun, @ohnostalgia, @Rasterax, @sexercise, @Subwaykid, @tylerc904, @Xanthippe)
    Low Score: 1 x 1 (@Up Down Suite)

A ONE???

[​IMG]

TWO FIVES???

[​IMG]

I'm speaking in Louis photos, that's how upset I am right now.

They Don't Know About Us is quintessential One Direction. Every boy band needs at least one song about how their teenage love is misunderstood by the mean old adults, and this song delivers in spades. It's absolutely no coincidence that the (mostly) lovely voters of the One Direction rate crowned this the best 1D ballad. There's a lovely simplicity to They Don't Know About Us. One Direction spent a lot of time differentiating themselves as the "cool" group, but it's absolutely magical to hear them stun on the classic boy band vibe. Straight up, this is one of their vocally strongest tracks, showcasing multiple career high performances. Thinking back to when I first heard this song, I probably knew straight from that opening piano line I was listening to something special. It's such a small thing, but I absolutely adore the little crescendo production effect that helps transition us from the piano line into Liam's opening verse. Even though I'm several years removed from being a teenager, "People say we shouldn't be together, we're too young to know about forever" is a wonderful opening line. We all need some melodrama in our lives from time to time. Speaking of melodrama, if you could marry parts of songs, I would marry the talk-talk-talking hook. Besides putting a huge grin on my face, it reminds me of all the times I sassed my parents throughout high school. It's like the musical equivalent of yelling SO THERE at your parents during an argument. Can I also take a moment to acknowledge the heavy lifting done by the strings? Reminds me of famous movie romances, which adds a nice little touch to the epic quality. Okay, time to talk about the chorus, also known as the part where I officially become deceased. Massive choruses don't come much more massive than this one. I want to shout it out to the rooftop, getting strange looks from everybody I pass. I don't care what those middle aged ladies think, they don't know about me!!!! Special shoutout to "they don't know about the Up All Nights" as I'm a sucker for lyrical callbacks always and forever. Just when I think I've run out of things to say, the bridge kicks in with Niall singing over the staccato string section. GENIUS! I'm also in love with the extended outro, particularly Zayn's adlibs. It's like the song knows how much we love it and doesn't want to let us go, embracing us in musical heaven until Zayn's last subdued "they don't know about us."

I'M SO UPSET Y'ALL.

Since neither @Up Down Suite (1) or @Sprockrooster (5) bothered to explain their terrible rate choices, I'm going to have to throw a very apologetic @Posh Spears (5) under the bus! "I'm embarrassed that I gave this a 5. It's a 9 or 10 for sure. I'm sorry everyone, it took me a while to realize that it was as good as it is. Hope I didn't fuck it up too bad! Anyway, the chorus totally reminds me of It's Gonna Be Me by NSYNC and it drove me crazy the whole time it took for me to figure out which song it sounded like."

You fucked up.

Sigh. Look who we have here. Louis' reunited wife @GhettoPrincess (6) is joined by fellow joy stealers @Remorque (6) and @A$AP Robbie (6). THANKS A LOT.

@iheartpoptarts (7.5)- "If they had to slow things down a bit for single number two—and only if they had to—this would’ve been a better choice!" Never forgive Little Things. Never forgive.

What about a 7.5 screams this is an appropriate score, @VivaForever (7.5)? "I was not expecting this to be good but it was great actually."

I was completely unsurprised to discover @CorgiCorgiCorgi (8) is a fan! "Cheesy, but sweet. A well-done boy band ballad. It sounds like an old Backstreet Boys song until the synths show up in the chorus."

@First2Run (8)- "Middle School Me would have died of happiness if someone sang this song to me (if it actually existed then). Not so much as a 20-year-old." ..... you're barely not a teenager, lol.

@wackseed (8)- "I'm really fond of the piano on this and how it melts into the vocals and the contrast to the quicker, more pop-y chorus. It's a nice song." NICE!!!!!!! EXCUSE ME.

@Furball (9) brings up old wounds- "Never got a chance to be a single, which is a pop music tragedy. They didn't perform it live either, double sad."

@constantino (9)- "An anthem for the misunderstood…this is actually quite the triumph. I appreciate how it doesn’t try too hard. EDIT: It’s been a day and I can still remember what the chorus sounds like, which is an achievement for them." YASSSSSSSSSSSs.

Clearly @DJHazey (9) doesn't know the rules of boy bands- "This is predictable subject-matter, something in the realm of Little Mix's "They Just Don't Know You". Two lovers that nobody else wants to see together -- their Romeo & Juliet story. Though it all works with the help of that twinkly piano and the power-string driven chorus."

@Macsun (10)- "Another nod to their Boyband Heroes. A perfect marriage of a Backstreet Boys and an *NSYNC song" I wonder how it would've faired in the Boy Band Singles rate.

@sexercise (10)- "Discography highlight." PREACH.

@Rasterax (10) speaks only the truth- "Everything works here, and everyone is used well. Their should've-been-signature song."

@KAG (10)- "I've always loved this song. It reminds me of something the Backstreet Boys and Max Martin would've cooked up back in the day. The chorus is bombastic and melodramatic and Zayn's high note is great." Can you imagine if 1D had actually worked with Max? I wish.

@eccentricsimply (10) is going to be M A D- "Even though it follows the same theme as Back For You, this one is actually brilliant."

Time for our eleven givers to say their farewells. Please accept my condolences and I hope my explanation of why this song is genius did your fave justice.

@With The Bands (11)- "Possibly the baffling non single choice, who would sleep on this absolute MONSTER of pop song? This is boyband gold. Their ultimate best. (Side note: I know Zayn hated most of their material but I would die to hear him cover this)"

@SophiaSophia (11)- "This had to be my 11. I hope this would be a special song for when I meet my future partner to be. I always thought I was going to be a spinster when I get old all because I had no idea of my sexuality when I was a teen I thought there was something wrong with me. I didn't properly understand part of my sexuality until my mid twenties I'm still unsure what to call it now I've fully understood it. But I'm little more hopeful that I won't have to spend the future alone. I would like this to be played at my wedding. For me hands down this should have been a single more specifically the 2nd single way more flattering than Shit Things."

YOU FUCKED UP.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  10. eccentricsimply

WHAT THE FUCK

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

HOW
    DID
    THIS
    MASTERPIECE

LEAVE
    BEFORE

FUCKING

NO

CONTROL

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

ohnostalgia likes this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm so pissed about that one. You have no idea.

12. I like They Don't Know About Us a lot but back at the start #10 is probably about where I would have ranked it so I'm not tooo pressed about it leaving, even if there are a couple less-good songs here.

13. Don't shoot me!

I was worried my 5 would have it kicked out of the top 10 so at least it made it past the hurdle! If only I could switch my scores for They Don't Know About Us and Where Do Broken Hearts Go, right @ohnostalgia?

CorgiCorgiCorgi and ohnostalgia like this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Trust me, there were some of my own scores I was tempted to change, but I stayed honest.

15. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

I like They Don't Know About Us. I gave it a 9.7 but I didn't think it would have done as well as it has.

16. Up Down Suite and ohnostalgia like this.
  17. eccentricsimply

This was such an outrage that I'm the one with a headache now.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  18. Why people why!? Sad about this. I have a feeling that the no. 1 is going to upset me.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Remember that one of the remaining songs has a ZERO attached to it, which is not right. Kudos to it for rising above that.

20. I don't even think I gave Little Things a zero.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.