I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 126 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Also the seemingly once almighty Take Me Home joins the one track left club with Midnight Memories and Made in the A.M., while perpetually under siege Up All Night is tied with Four for most songs remaining.

2. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

I thought my 1 would be the lowest score. Damn. Ruthless.

3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Oh, they're getting chewed out when the time comes (so are you). I don't think any of the remaining songs are worth a zero, it's completely ridiculous.

4. So many people to fight, so little time.

...oh, wait, did something leave?

5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Yes and it was very sad!!!!!

6. I can see why this song might not be people's thing, but the fact that it leaves before No Control and Best Song Ever is something I'll never understand.

7. Honestly... what is Tell Me A Lie still doing here? That had no business bothering the top 30.

8. I want to fight each and everyone of you who did my 11 wrong. The amount of poor taste in this rate is unreal so many good songs that were top ten worthy have left way too soon.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. I lost faith the moment we lost Little Things. And it is not like any attempts were made to restore my faith.

10. I like 'They Don't Know About Us', but it's not very representative of what I love about Take Me Home, so it's strange to see it beat most of it!

I wonder if maybe all those perfect boyband bops don't get enough appreciation individually because there are just so many of them?

11. I'm still confused about Rock Me not making the top ten and C'mon C'mon making the top twenty over Heart Attack.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  12. Awwww, I love 'C'mon C'mon'. But Take Me Home deserves half the top ten, really!

Deleted member 21339 likes this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Tell me about it.
    Oh puhleez.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I think most people preferred the boyband bops from Up All Night in the end. There are three of them left in the Top 10 plus Kiss You plus Best Song Ever. Plus No Control and Stockholm Syndrome (depending on how loose of a definition you use for a boyband bop).

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  15. I mean, those are all good to amazing, so fair enough!

To me, though, Take Me Home is where they really perfected that sound. It's that peak in every pop act's career when they're properly famous enough to get all the Swedish producers' best work, but not so famous that they start doing other stuff and getting away with it!

16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Honestly though, they didn't get the Swedish producers best work. In my opinion. And I say that as a big Take Me Home fan.

17. Wait, so what's better? I'm on Discogs trying to figure it out, but it's probably easier just to ask!

18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Oh I just meant as much as I love the songs, they could be better (judging from other artists work.)

19. Hmmmm. I think they could be seen as formulaic, maybe, but I guess the formula they're using just happens to hit on a lot of things I go for?

ohnostalgia likes this.
  20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

SO.

Not sure how this'll go over...

Nostalgia doesn't live here.

Hehehe.

[​IMG]

#9. What Makes You Beautiful [8.397]

High Score: 10 x 12 (@Animalia, @A$AP Robbie, @First2Run, @GhettoPrincess, @KAG, @Lost In Japan., @Posh Spears, @Remorque, @SophiaSophia, @thefaceofyou, @tylerc904, @VivaForever)
    Low Score: 1 x 1 (@eccentricsimply)

My Score: 9

Not to make this about me, but I must mention how happy I am that @GhettoPrincess and @VivaForever are finally getting a taste of their low scoring medicine. Hurts, doesn't it?

Gifted by Yacoub, Falk, and Kotecha, What Makes You Beautiful peaked at #1 on the UK Singles Chart and #4 on the Billboard chart. I'd give the opening riff a 10 and the rest of a song an 8. Averaged together, this resulted in a 9. The best way I'd describe What Makes You Beautiful is: fun song bogged down by questionable production and vocal performances. There's just far too much artificial, computerized production for me to ever love this completely. I understand that the boys were just starting out and fairly new to the singing game, but overproducing their voices was not the answer. I barely know that's Liam on the opening verse and they managed to strip out Zayn's lovely tone. Yikes.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised this made Top 10. Sure, it's the most iconic One Direction song and the one that launched them as superstars, but when you compare it to the rest of their discography it falls a bit flat. Don't get me wrong, it was the right bop at the right time, but it's not the bop. They're reached higher highs on Up All Night alone, without even bringing Take Me Home and Four into the conversation. Many of those highs aren't built around ugly concepts like thinking a girl is beautiful because she lacks self-confidence. One Direction can fuck right off with that bullshit. I'm so over this idea that self-confident girls are full of themselves and need to be more modest so they get a man. What's wrong with being confident, confident, confident? NOT TODAY SEXIST SATAN, NOT TODAY.

Despite all my misgivings, giving What Makes You Beautiful a 1 is a crime against this rate. What does @eccentricsimply have to say for herself- "It does it's job, but it's insufferable."

[​IMG]

EXCUSE ME, BRAZIL...........

Is anyone surprised that stealth rate villain @Up Down Suite (4) suddenly and suspiciously immigrated to Brazil? "Never really liked this song. First time I heard it I literally rolled my eyes so hard, it’s so... formulaic. I know they were a boyband and that’s what they were supposed to do, but I seriously can’t be bothered with these kind of songs."

[​IMG]

UM.

Thankfully nobody else lost their damn mind, but don't think @Subwaykid (6) is getting a pass here either. Those were the sum total of the scores below seven, ladies and gentlemen.

@Furball (7) sums up my perspective- "Essential boyband song, but both me and the band have moved on from this, and I'm grateful for it. (ohnostalgia: Can I ask Summertime Ball 2015 video to accompany WMYB in addition the music video, please?)" Check the end of the post!

@Macsun (7) continues his mostly correct opinions- "It's the song that put them on the map. Going back to it, it's just averagely good"

@With The Bands (8) is a man of few words- "Great lead single"

@constantino (8) is respectful- "I appreciate this for how Boyband 101 it is from every aspect, and it completely worked. It is a masterclass in how to launch a boyband and many have tried and failed to emulate the same magic. I’ve always hated the verses but the chorus kinda knocks."

@sexercise (8.5)- "Honestly I can’t believe this is the same band that exists today(?). Still a bop." It almost seems like a fever dream, doesn't it?

@wackseed (8.5) is in her feelings- "God, they look like INFANTS on this cover. I'm overwhelmed and emotional. Anyways, this song is still played on my local radios, despite it being five years old. And yeah, I jam out to it every time. It's quintessential boyband bubblegum, even if Harry and Zayn are already the stand-outs talent-wise."

Well I wouldn't go this far, @iheartpoptarts (9)- "When this came out, I thought it was an incredibly solid debut, but I wasn’t obsessed with it or anything. Now? I tend to think of it as a modern-day boyband classic."

What about that line you singled out reads as sappy and not patronizing, @DJHazey (9)- "A pop/rock banger headlined by the stadium-chant bridge. The "no-oh-oh" is obviously an eye-catcher as well. The opening riff is very "Summer Nights"-esque, which is admittedly an iconic achievement to strive for. The sentiment behind lines like "Right now I'm looking at you and I can't believe you don't know you're beautiful" would make you fear some kind of sappy thing, but we end up with something very fun and full of energy instead." MEN.

Someone check on our next voter, I think you all killed him. @Sprockrooster (9)- "I cannot believe this is still a bop"

@CorgiCorgiCorgi (9) gets extra brownie points for being the only person to bring this up besides me- "Iconic. Kind of a sleazy message, but it’s such a cute song!!!!" SOUL SISTER.

@Animalia (10) is a fan from the X-Factor days it seems! - "A pretty stellar start for any group, nevermind a talent show product. I really didn't take them seriously before this. When I started rating I pre-emptively gave this an 8 'cause I thought it had aged a bit but naaaahhh I'm bopping."

@Posh Spears (10)- "To anyone who gave this a low or subpar score- come on! Are you telling me it’s not an iconic historical bop and you don’t pop it every time this comes on? The highlight is the end of the last chorus when they throw in an extra ‘you don’t know you’re beautiful!’ Mmm, so good." Well I told you who to go after.... have at it.

@A$AP Robbie (10) is depressing me- "Obviously, its amazing. Imagine if 1D had stumbled out of X-Factor without this? We'd never heard from them again. Luckily, just as Girls Aloud lucked onto Brian and Miranda at exactly the right moment, so 1D got Savan. Thank God."

@VivaForever (10) is going to be PISSED Y'ALL- "When this came out, I was like, oh good, another middling boyband song that’s getting attention it doesn’t deserve. Then once I got some distance from it I realized that in fact it did deserve the attention, because it’s fucking amazing and I need more people to use it as a template for their singles. Distressed it didn’t usher in another era of pure pop tibb."

@First2Run (10)- "A true anthem. I used to be on the hate bandwagon back when this came out, but I have since seen the light. Basic bops are my life, and this song essentially epitomizes that." gurllll

We have another fan since the X-Factor in @Lost In Japan. (10) - "This was the song that moved me from ‘mildly stanning Harry Styles’ one dance move during Viva la Vida’ to really loving 1D. The Grease sample, that massive chorus and of course Harry’s vocal telling me I’m beautiful. It’s aged a bit now but it’s still a fantastic debut."

@tylerc904 (10)- "The song that started it all! I remember watching the video premier, thinking they were a cute bunch, but mostly being blown away by the sheer amount of hooks. That Swedish songwriting impact."

@KAG (10) reinforces my opinion that the British pop world is generally a nightmare- "This song premiered in the aftermath of the UK riots so I've always associated it with all of that. Hearing it on the radio was a welcome relief after witnessing such horrific events. Anyway, I still like this song. It's very effervescent and at a time when most British artists were either chasing the dance pop trend or singing earnest MOR ballads, it was kinda refreshing that One Direction at least decided to do something different for their debut single."

I had to give the last word to @SophiaSophia's (10) iconic summary- "Before world domination, the horrible hair, terrible tattoos, less of Louis' singing, musical downfall and Zayn leaving. I will cherish these days fondly perfect debut song for them."

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.