I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 128 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I disagree with most of your low scores, but I am amused that you're getting your final revenge for what happened to Midnight Memories.

Up Down Suite likes this.
  2. All albums still have contenders. Wasn't expecting that.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I got a message from a certain poster who refuses to visit and acknowledge this elimination. Not going to change reality, dear.

4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

What questionable choice are we all making today?

I keep dropping 10s like flies.

Guess I don't have that

[​IMG]

#8. One Thing [8.408]

High Score: 10 x 8 (@constantino, @DJHazey, @Mr. Right, @ohnostalgia, @Posh Spears, @Rasterax, @Subwaykid, @VivaForever)
    Low Score: 6 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @With The Bands)

Yes, that's right folks. Your highest rated Up All Night track is.... Tell Me a Lie. Can't say I understand why, but the people have spoken. I'm only their smartass mouthpiece. At least I can find solace in One Thing triumphing over What Makes You Beautiful. #PopJustice. Released as the third single from Up All Night, One Thing is another Kotecha, Yacoub, and Falk collaboration. It peaked at #9 on the UK Singles Chart and #39 on the Billboard Hot 100. While One Thing never achieved the commercial success of What Makes You Beautiful, it captured my heart. Here are all the reasons why One Thing > What Makes You Beautiful (since some of you were Capital S Shocked at this outcome).

Better Production: The difference between Liam's opening verses is staggering. I can actually recognize him because they didn't completely overdose on the vocal production. Slay me with that subtlety.

Better Verses: Sometimes simple is best. The verses on WMYB are so clunky, probably because of the horrendous lyrics. These verses flow.

Amazing Pre-chorus: SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE NOW, CAUSE I'M DYING JUST TO KNOW YOUR NAME.

The Superior Shouty Chorus: Sure both choruses are generally shouty messes. But at least One Thing's chorus is a fun shouty mess. I don't want to sing about hair flipping and being overwhelmed and how some girl's low self-esteem makes me thirsty. "Get out get out get out of my head/and fall into my arms instead" is magical.

A Bridge From An Entirely Different Stratosphere: You can't even compare those bridges, One Thing's is about 100 steps above WMYB. I mean it's not that difficult, because the WMYB bridge is probably one of my least favourites in their discography. But my goodness, One Thing's oh whoa whoas, accompanied by those handclaps, is A Moment.

Lyrics That Celebrate Women: Yes, I'll take the song where they sing about being scared of a girl's amazingness over the one where they celebrate her low self-esteem. LIKE.

Wonderful Music Video: Quintessential One Direction video. It's just so much fun, their styling is impeccable, you get cute little moments between the boys, and they're out interacting with their fans. I lost track of how many shots were repeated on that damn WMYB beach.

Also before you all go moaning on about @eccentricsimply's infamous 1, please review some rate statistics: 21 out of 36 voters scored One Thing higher than or equal to What Makes You Beautiful. Not an overwhelming majority, but a majority none the less. The only scores below 7 were the previously posted 6s plus @Petty Mayonnaise's 6.5. BEAST.

Let's take to the streets to get the people's opinions:

@Sprockrooster (6) is cranky- "The chorus is the only still likeable part of this song"

@iheartpoptarts (7) stabs her pop self in the heart- "I don’t know what it is with this one. All the right elements are there, and yet it’s never sounded all that spectacular to me. Just good. Not great."

@Furball (7) calls it "Bouncy and fun." I could make a comment but let's not get me banned.

@Macsun (7.5) has voters regret- "Fantastic production. On more listens I should have actually scored it higher."

@Lost In Japan. (7.5)- "Cute that they let Louis and Niall sing!!" I know rite?

@tylerc904 (7.5)- "This is a bit too nursery rhyme for me at times, but it is undeniably fun." ..... and What Makes You Beautiful ain't nursery?

The sometimes good sis @First2Run (7.5) wrote this sentence backwards- "This has always been a cute bop, but it feels a bit too much like a What Makes You Beautiful part 2."

Whereas @A$AP Robbie (8) found hope- "The first suggestion that they might have had more than WMYB in the locker"

You know you did good when noted bop hater @Up Down Suite (8) is loving it- "Should’ve been their debut single. It’s just as formulaic, but it has more personality and likability. Liam ALSO sounds amazing here. #dad"

@eccentricsimply (8.5)- "An amazing pop song that has a great vibe." Okay, I forgive you.

@Xanthippe (8.5)- "I love the music video for this" It's a beaut.

@SophiaSophia (9)- "Another fantastic piece of Pop Rock from them"

@CorgiCorgiCorgi (9)- " That chorus! Also, check out this dog version of it:"

@sexercise (9.5)- "BOP.gov" Isn't it BOP.uk?

Funny you mention this, because I picked up on the Beatles imagery in their video. @wackseed (9.5)- " I always liked this song best off this album. It's fun and peppy and very new-era-Beatles-esque. The chorus is SUCH a bop, and the video is so silly. They're on a field trip with their preschool! "

@constantino (10) continues his #hipsterjustice redemption tour- "OK this is a complete bop and I have always enjoyed this. The first time I heard it was as a clip within some Nickelodeon/Radio 1 type award show I watched and it made me take them a bit more seriously in a musical sense (not that much more seriously, mind)."

@DJHazey (10)- ""IIII neeeeed that ooooone thiiiiing" = "IIII waaaant it thaaaat waaaaayy"... come on anybody with ears can hear the connection...as faint as it may be. Definitely a nice nod to their boyband predecessors and I don't think BSB would be insulted at all. It's just lacking that final chorus key change, but I'll give them a pass. "SO GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT OF MY HEAD" is real winning moment here and really makes it their own."

@Rasterax (10) is my new BFF- "This is one of the definite boyband songs in my opinion, and really would have deserved the fame WMYB got. Liam's super-brief middle-8, simple as it is, is one of my favorite moments in their discography."

@Posh Spears (10) is going to smash things- "If justice is real on this forum (which it often isn’t), then this track will come very close to winning. Talk about a strong follow up single!"

Even though she refuses to read this thread and acknowledge the reality of WMYB leaving, I'll give @VivaForever (10) the last word- "This was done so wrong in my rate. SO WRONG. It was the first 1D song I actually liked. I was on hall council my sophomore year of college, and some of the girls on the committee were obsessed with 1D (to the point that one of them tweeted Liam multiple times a day trying to get him to notice her), and they played this and Beautiful. Afterwards I found myself humming this and thought, ‘Well, I’ll be damned, that is a good little pop song isn’t it.’"

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  5. Beyond offended! I never imagined this would miss the top five. An absolute staple in their discography for sure.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

That's right y'all. Every single album is reduced to one track except my true love Four.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.
  7. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ohnostalgia likes this.
  8. I would not have called Tell Me A Lie as the last remaining Up All Night track, wow.

9. I'll live.

*flips hair*

10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

[​IMG]
    No kidding. Who knew?

11. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

This rate results have truly been a mess.

They all look like they were having fun in the music video which nice compared to how they were a few albums in.

CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Every single one of you is to blame.

Deleted member 21339 likes this.
  13. Oh come on!!!! One Thing was like universally known as top 5 One Direction. Boo.

14. My love for One Thing has wavered over the years. It's still good, but no longer brilliant.

15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

A lot of things that were universally known failed to materialize in this rate, apparently.

Deleted member 21339 likes this.
  16. You got that right.

constantino and Up Down Suite like this.
  17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

NO

NOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[​IMG]

#7. What A Feeling [8.425]

High Score: 10 x 15 (@Animalia, @DJHazey, @eccentricsimply, @Fever, @GhettoPrincess, @MarkB, @ohnostalgia, @Petty Mayonnaise, @Rasterax, @Remorque, @sexercise, @thefaceofyou, @Txetxu, @With The Bands, @Xanthippe)
    Low Score: 4.8 x 1 (@VivaForever)

I FEEL DISGUSTED.
    I FEEL BETRAYED.
    I FEEL EMPTY.

For all the people moaning and complaining about What A Feeling sleighing its way into the Top 10, please stop. Fifteen tens says it all. This isn't a track that squeaked by because nobody really hated it, this is track that earned its placing. It would've placed higher if we didn't have some sorry voters in this rate who disdain beautiful Fleetwood Mac-esque pop songs. I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no way in hell that Tell Me A Lie is better than What a Feeling. You may have created these messy ass results and I may have to deliver them, but I'm going to kick and scream the entire way. Not that you'd expect anything less, of course.

Of course this elimination means we say goodbye to Mangst: Into The Appalling Mediocrity. On an album full of trite, sickly sweet MOR ballads and ditties, What A Feeling was always going to be the standout. However, as this rate has clearly shown, What A Feeling is a standout in the One Direction discography. Period. Whenever I listen to this song I get so upset at their wasted potential. What a Feeling beautifully continues the seventies pop rock aesthetic from Four without ever straying too far into boring dad rock. Where are the other beautifully inspired songs? Why were the writers shitting out trash like I Want To Write You A Song, Love You Goodbye, If I Could Fly, and Infinity??? Did the ghost of Ed Sheeran descend upon their creative team to sabotage them one last time? I guess we'll never know. What I do know is that I'll always long for smooth seventies Fleetwood tracks, accompanied by stunning Liam vocals, majestic harmonies, beautiful lyrics, and stunning production.

When the air ran out and we both started running wild
    The sky fell down
    But you got stars, they're in your eyes
    And I've got something missing tonight
    What a feeling to be a king beside you, somehow
    I wish I could be there now

Whatever chains are holding you back
    Holding you back, don't let 'em tie you down
    Whatever change is holding you back
    Holding you back, tell me you believe in that

I cannot believe @VivaForever (4.8) snubbed this as I honestly thought it was right up her alley. You think you know a person. Same with @Sprockrooster (5). I don't think I'll ever understand that man. And after all the adult contemporary man ballads @MollieSwift21 (5.5) has been championing, that score makes zero sense. This is those ballads but better. At least I get some comforting but still infuriating consistency from @iheartpoptarts (5.5). What a feeling to be kicking your ass, I wish I could be there now.

@KAG (5.5)- "I hate the multi-tracked vocals during the chorus. It's overpowering and ruins an otherwise good song." Sad.

@SophiaSophia (7)- "This is the closest to the style of music I would normally listen to and love that is not by Pop acts. But I don't really have a desire to put this in my itunes library." Despair.

@A$AP Robbie (7)- "Is the feeling ennui?" Rage.

@CorgiCorgiCorgi (7)- "If they wanted to do dadrock for this album, THIS is how it should be done. It's anthemic and yearning, there's genuine emotion in their voices for the first time in forever, and that "through the wire" part is so catchy. I'm writing this commentary after I already sent in my scores, but I sure wish I'd given this a 9 instead of a 7 now! " Regret.

@First2Run (8)- "This song snags my interest right away but completely loses at about the halfway point. I do enjoy its smooth jam vibes." Ire.

@wackseed (8)- "See, this song sounds like the ending credits theme of a movie about a lonely young man who drives his red convertible all over the country and meets a lovely young woman and they have a love affair but she decides she doesn't want to be part of his freewheeling lifestyle, so she ends up staying with her high school sweetheart after all, and at the end she looks over her shoulder and the guy is leaning against his convertible watching her walk away and he raises a hand to wave and then it cuts to him driving his red car down the highway as twilight falls, all alone again, but that's how he likes it. So like, not a movie I'd see in theaters, but I'd definitely Redbox the shit out of it." Satisfied.

@tylerc904 (8.5)- "A MUCH needed injection of energy and variety, and an enjoyable little jam. The Fleetwood Mac comparison is a HUGE compliment in my books, but one I agree with." Joy.

@Posh Spears (8.5)- " I don't even remember what this song sounds like at this point. I feel like a lot of people like it though and call it a standout on the album, so maybe it deserves to be in. I dunno. I completely forget what the song even is. I'm pretty sure they sing "what a feeling" at some point." Disgust.

@Furball (8.5)- "I haven't noticed the reference to Long Way Down before. Smooth. Sad it wasn't a single, could have repeated Story of My Life's success." Delight.

@Macsun (8.5)- "The sister to FOUR's Fireproof. Best track on the album but struggles to reach Fireproof's greatness. LOVE the harmonies." Impressed.

@constantino (8)- "I couldn’t find a decent quality audio of this on YouTube, but it sounded good enough to seek a higher quality version, destroy my Spotify history a bit, kings! Anyway, this is a great song and compared to the rest of this album, it’s fantastic." Inspired.

@Up Down Suite (9)- "Oh, this one is nice. A breath of fresh air in their catalogue." Relief.

@With The Bands (10)- "Anthemic, just glorious." Invigorated.

@eccentricsimply (10) - "One of the best songs in this album, truly." Elated.

@Rasterax (10)- "They're at their most brilliant in full-on Fleetwood Mac-mode. Whyyy wasn't this a single." Bewildered.

@Xanthippe (10)- "I like the lyrics a lot on this one." Enchanted.

@DJHazey (10)- "Now we're going for a Fleetwood Mac-inspired tune. This is very relaxing, nostalgic, and becomes a wonderful compliment to "Hey Angel". Definitely an instant favorite. Let me get lost in this and be transported 30 years back with it." Glee.

@sexercise (10)- "It’s embarrassing that this wasn’t their last single. An absolute triumph and I’m glad they managed to deliver it while on their last legs." Disbelief.

I'm so depressed right now.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  18. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

WHAT THE FUCK IS NO CONTROL STILL DOING HERE I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS FORUM

ohnostalgia likes this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Well I mean when people here proudly talk about how they don't care about vocals, can we really be surprised they're all stanning the Louis song?

20. It's hilarious to think that at least one of the songs between Tell Me a Lie and No Control will be in the top 5, kii forever.

Anyway, I do like this song despite my shady forgetful commentary, but it got really, really far and at least it was correctly crowned one of the best in their discography. (Plus, it's right for MITAM to be the first album out.)

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.