I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 40 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. @ohnostalgia, please intervene...this just became your battle.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Do you all want me to kick out the next song or not?

3. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

I actually don't really care about Little Black Dress, but you guys acting like it's the worst song in the 1D discography, darlings please.

4. Right. Act My Age is much worse.

eccentricsimply likes this.
  5. eccentricsimply

And the entirety of MITAM safe for 4 songs.

Petty Mayonnaise likes this.
  6. #JusticeforTrulyMadlyDeeply.

ohnostalgia and eccentricsimply like this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

So.

When you see the next cut you might get why I didn't want to post it yesterday........

Say goodbye to another Louis and Liam discover the 80s "tune"-​

[​IMG]

#83. Alive [5.256]

High Score: 10 x 3 (@First2Run, @Mr. Right, @Up Down Suite)
    Low Score: 0 x 1 (@eccentricsimply)

My Score: 1​

THIS is the first song to get multiple 10s? REALLY GUYS???????????? I mean yeah it's fun enough on tour, but the studio version doesn't deserve so much praise. A bonus track from Midnight Memories, Louis and Liam cowrote this with John and Julian..... and you can tell. There are about three other songs that sound exactly like this on the album, and one was more than enough. The guitar irritates the fuck out of me on this song, I've heard it 5000 times in other songs. Vocalwise..... I guess Liam and Zayn sound decent at times? I don't know you guys.... I've got nothing here. It's such a non-event.

Unsurprisingly, @First2Run (10) submits incorrect commentary- "How did this song get shunned so hard to the back of this album? It actually has a unique sound that makes it stand out from everything else, which is probably inflating its score. It earned it for getting my ears interested again though."

UNIQUE?
    UNIQUE???????????
    UNIQUE??????????????????

[​IMG]
    (thank you @constantino)

Fellow 10 giver @Up Down Suite simply says, "Go, boys." I'll just interpret this a different way, thank you for the ambiguity.

@SophiaSophia (9) hits their first stumbling block- "This should be further up the tracklisting this is how you do mature Pop Rock Music." NOT when Four exists.

@Rasterax (7.5) dares to bring up another song I hate- "Stupid, but fun. See also: Midnight Memories (the song)." OH.

While @wackseed (6) thinks of the children- "Oh dear, this song concerns me. Don't do reckless things and die, kids, that's not safe, I will concerned mother all over you. Also this song is ehhhhh anyways, so." .... just ehhhh? Really? I'm disgusted.

Time to marvel at all the other voters who can stomach this- @tylerc904 (6), @Remorque (7), @KAG (7), @Txetxu (6.5), @Sprockrooster (8), @Macsun (7), @A$AP Robbie (6), @thefaceofyou (6), @MarkB (6), @Reboot (6), @Animalia (6), @iheartpoptarts (6), and @Xanthippe (7). You just never know who you can trust, do you?

On the opposite side I got a lot of random commentary mentioning artists I do not know-

@Posh Spears (5) brings up another genre I frequently despise- "Yeah… when it comes to songs titled Alive, I think EDM group Krewella has them beat."

While @VivaForever (2.5) mentions some (I'm guessing) basic European acts- "Unfortunately this is of a quality more similar to Jessie J’s Alive than Kate Ryan’s Alive. To say nothing of S Club’s Alive."

@sexercise (4) doesn't bother listing who they sound like, because that would take all night- "Reductive."

@Furball (5) gives some kudos for the stadium version, but is otherwise insulting- "Generic, but it's made for the stadiums and is great live."

@DJHazey (1) brings out the Dad Rock trope- "When people said negative things about this album, THIS is exactly the kind of sound I was afraid of. If you didn’t know any better you’d think this was one of those ’Dad bands’ instead of a boyband. Ugh, I just loathe this classic rock sound with a passion."

@eccentricsimply (0) wastes as much energy on her comments as the Ls did on this song- "No."

Last word to @constantino (3), who should write an angry letter to plagiarizers extraordinaire John and Julian- "So this definitely rips off a classic pop song…I just can’t think which one…hmmm. It’s kinda sad that their songwriters/producers are allowed to completely copy a melody and then avoid any accountability by shoving it at the end of a deluxe album…that’s artistically atrocious…"

In honour of @constantino and because it can't be said enough, @First2Run -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay, here's a video of Alive on tour. Judge for yourself if you think it's fun:

What an excellent night for me. Loving the Midnight Memories cull. Until tomorrow.... stay fabulous.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  8. eccentricsimply

Completely disappointed that nobody else gave it a 0, completely satisfied that this shit song is OUT.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. AMAZING set of cuts tonight. That is Queen Natalia's reaction when she heard all three of the songs.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I was trying to limit the number of zeros I gave out... I think to emphasize just how much I despise Little Things and I Want To Write You a Song. Anything that got a 1 from me is basically an honourary 0.

11. Something Great is the only decent song out thus far, and even that is whatever.

12. Little Black Dress is amazing and went off live. So there. Alive is really good too. What is wrong with you all.

Xanthippe likes this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

What is wrong with you?

VivaForever likes this.
  14. I think @Posh Spears has it about right. The Krewella 'Alive' is a bop!

Deleted member 21339 likes this.
  15. [​IMG]

ohnostalgia likes this.
  16. I didn't even pick up on this (because I cannot be arsed to actually listen to the lyrics), but I'll assume their fixation on a dress is more evidence for my belief in transgirl Harry.

wackseed likes this.
  17. I would make a joke about Lewis finishing, but I'm a lady.

19. I am loving the write ups @ohnostalgia

Now lets lose a bad songs instead of those mediocre ones.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  20. 'Alive' is AWFUL. A chore to listen to.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.