I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 41 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Pretty happy with the recent eliminations. Little Black Dress in particular is godawful.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  2. Alive was decent, but the rest had to go indeed.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  3. Don't mind any of those eliminations.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  4. My favorite song of 2013, teebs.

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  5. Perfect.

That Natalia picture kills me every time.

DJHazey and ohnostalgia like this.
  6. For the most part, this is going very well so far. I hope to see more MM and AM tracks booted next, but really all albums have at least some semi-trash left.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Well my friends, the time has come

To raise the roof and have some fun

Throw away the work to be done

Let the music play on, play on

(as long as it's not this one)

we're going to party, karamu, fiesta, forever

IT IS GONE!!!!!!11

[​IMG]

#82. Midnight Memories [5.283]

High Score: 10 x 4 (@First2Run, @Lost In Japan., @Mr. Right, @Sprockrooster)
    Low Score: 0 x1 (@ohnostalgia, @sexercise)

I HATE THIS SONG WITH EVERY FIBRE OF MY BEING. I HATE EIGHTIES ROCK. I HATE DEF LEPPARD. I HATE AWFUL VIDEOS. I HATE BEN WINSON. I HATE MOST LILO SONGS. I HATE JOHN AND JULIAN. I HATE BAFFLING SINGLE CHOICES. I HATE LOUIS. I HATE FAKENESS. I HATE THAT THIS GOT FOUR 10s FROM VOTERS. I HATE I HATE I HATE I HATE I HATE I HATE I HATE.

KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT.

For some godforsaken reason Midnight Memories was released as the third single from its eponymous album. As you probably expect, this was not received with open arms. Peak position in the UK was #39, while it did better in the US with a #12 standing. But honestly, as someone who closely followed the Midnight Memories campaign this single was swiftly ignored by most fans. Pretty sure we just kept on with the vastly superior Story of My Life. Unfortunately, I do believe this song killed the Midnight Memories album campaign. Another single was released but it was also a non-event.

For the unaware, this is another Louis, Liam, John, and Julian cowrite. And my god does it show in all its Pour Some Sugar On Me plagiarizing, tuneless, generic hair rock infamy. Midnight Memories recounts the boys' experiences recording their third album while on the Take Me Home tour- "And midnight memories are where most of the memories of this record were made. [It] was between midnight and 5 in the morning. We have so many memories of just being in the studio or being after a show or being in the back of the bus or going to one of the guys' places and hanging and writing." Back then it was charmingly believable to think of One Direction as five lads just palling around recording songs at midnight. Of course the fairy tale illusion has long been shattered and it all seems so fake now. We know the creative input was limited to certain members and even those members were probably overshadowed by John and Julian. There's just a lot of baggage attached to this song in my eyes. Probably not fair, but I can't help how I feel.

Fun fact: Midnight Memories was originally composed around the lyrics "I Love KFC." Honestly, they should have just released it like that. At least it would be funny.

The video........ Jesus. Ben Winson directed this, which is about all we need to say isn't it? At least they could have tried to make the boys look less ugly. Just one good thing would have been nice.

I despair for the tasteless heathens who gave this a 10. What the fuck do they have to say for themselves?

General menace to society @Lost In Japan. really needs help- "Okay, yes it is complete rock posturing and yes it completely rips off 'Pour Some Sugar on Me', but it does it SO WELL." Please refrain from using Taylor Swiftisms to praise awful songs in the future. See you in court.

While @First2Run is dead to me- "This feels like a nice sequel to Rock Me and it gives me life." You don't deserve to listen to Rock Me ever again. Please delete it from your music listening devices.

Last we have @Sprockrooster (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)- " Yas at those guitars and Louis' prominence! My rock and roll king/queen."

S
    T
    O
    P

Speaking of people who need to stop, let's see who else likes this trash-

Et tu @iheartpoptarts (7)?- "I love ‘Pour Some Sugar On Me’. I like the idea of a boyband version of it. But I see it as more of a fun novelty track than a logical single choice. Whose idea was that?" Probably Ben Winston.

Unsurprisingly, here's @Rasterax (7.5)- "Yeah, this was a terrible single choice and its wannabe rock attitude is ridiculous... but it's also fun? See also: Alive" Burn it.

Who's next? It's...... @wackseed (6.5). MY GOD IS NOTHING SACRED? - "Andddd continuing the trend of the title song not being super strong...I still think this is good, but it's nothing special, at least not compared to the previous three. Zayn and Harry continue to outshine the rest and the lyrics are nice enough, though." Zayn doesn't even get a solo line!!!!!!!!!!

Oh god, @A$AP Robbie (7) was doing so well after a rough start- " It sort of sounded unfinished to me at the time, and it sort of still does, but I do enjoy the chorus. " Poor them.

@KAG (6) says enough nice things about this to piss me of- "This is essentially a PG version of 'Pour Some Sugar on Me'. Not terrible, however not a song I'd actively seek out. Harry is in his element though. I like the scream/growl he does towards the end."

I have a message for the following voters - @tylerc904 (6.5), @GhettoPrincess (6), @Remorque (7), @Txetxu (9), @MarkB (6), @Reboot (6), @Fever (7) @Xanthippe (9.5)-

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Moving on, let's get some thoughts from fellow haters!

@Animalia (5) gives points for effort but that's about it- "I can see what they were going for here, but it's a big ol' swing and a miss."

@Furball (3) needs to sit down with this Kiss You opinion- "I stand corrected, this is worse than Kiss You and Little Things."

@VivaForever (2) is confused- "Well that was noisy. And Gaga used the Queen sample SO much more effectively." There's no Queen sample sis.

Although perhaps Queen needs to create a joint lawsuit with Def Leppard, because @SophiaSophia (3) heard them too-
    "A cringeworthy inducing attempt at being mature lyrically musically it's only good in the verses, bridge and middle 8 however that Queen like chorus is bad. You know you can do mature without going down that lame Dad Rock or whatever this nonsense is route. This is the one thing I hate about music in general is pretentiousness regarding music genres singing/making Pop music as a adult or liking it is nothing to be ashamed about. Also fuck the there's no authenticism and credibility in Pop music argument I'm tired of hearing it."

TAKE THEM DOWN QUEEN SOPHIA GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Okay, now that we've recovered from that amazing read, let's head to the people getting Guitar Hero flashbacks-

@constantino (3)- "How have I never heard the verses before?? I wasn’t exactly missing out on much, it’s all a bit Garage Band…and the chorus is Guitar Hero. I was actually about to give this a 10…but then I heard it in full and realized how try-hard and…sad it all is."

@DJHazey (4)- "Guess our lovely host wasn’t kidding when she said this album had an 80s rock feel to it, because this has ”Pour Some Sugar On Me” all over it. ”Same ’ol shh but a different day”...oh wait they’re living the lifestyle too! Hey at least their fans have something to rock out to on Guitar Hero with. *Yawn*."

@Up Down Suite (2) needs to get their eyes checked or they didn't bother watching the Night Changes video- " It’s really easy to slip in the wrong direction with these kind of songs, very hit or miss, if produced and performed badly. It was a miss for me. Although I do have to note out that it was the last time they looked GORGEOUS in a video (minus Louis, he looked like a hot mess after Take Me Home was over)."

@eccentricsimply (1) shares my Ben Winson hatred- "What were they even trying to do here? I hate that music video too much."

While @sexercise (0) is my new fave for hating this for almost three years now- "Def Leppard better have gotten some residuals for this. So fucking bad. I’ve hated this song ever since it was released and how the fuck this managed to be a single is just…wow."

Last word to @Posh Spears (4.5) who paints a very believable picture knowing the mess that is One Direction- "Wow! I’m guessing someone lost a bet and that’s why they put this song on the tracklist and named the album after it."

While I dance my troubles away to Lionel Richie, you may choose to watch the official video.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  8. While we're on the subject of similarly-titled songs that are better than the ones we've already kicked out...

Love it.

9. Crying.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  10. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Finally it's dead.

constantino and ohnostalgia like this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Excellent.

constantino likes this.
  12. ohnostalgia likes this.
  13. I cannot believe I am listening to this, when I am reading this...

14. Louis actually sounds OK on Midnight Memories. Too bad about everything else.

15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

SCREAMING.

16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Here you go!

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  17. Oh my god.

What a missed opportunity for lots of $$$$$, but it's probably for the best!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  18. AHAHAHAHA oh my god I thought I was in the minority in hating that song!? Well done everyone.

19. This song is terrible.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  20. I do not mind eating some kebab with Louis while listening to this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.