I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 42 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I think you mean KFC.

VivaForever likes this.
  2. Get all this dad rock outta here!

3. Is this a euphemism?

VivaForever and Sprockrooster like this.
  4. I am not a chicken kind of guy.

5. @SophiaSophia going in. I love it.
    Why why why do the lights in this kebab shop make this guy look less hot? He's lookin' like John Prescott.
    Is this a euphemism?

6. What?! The whole of 'Made in the AM' is worse than this song... I knew it wasn't the most liked song around here but I expected it to do far better than this. It's just a really enjoyable, soaring chorus over that 80s production. Also the video is great.

7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I hate a great deal of Made in the A.M., but this is definitely worse. I actually expected it to go much sooner.

VivaForever likes this.
  8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

So.

We've lost four consecutive tracks from a certain album.

Will the Midnight Massacre continue?

Nah.

Let's go back to a common target..

[​IMG]

#81. Infinity [5.300]

High Score: 10 x 1 (@Animalia)
    Low Score: 0 x 1 (@eccentricsimply)

My Score: 1

Ah yes, the single that never was. Initially released as a promo track in September, One Direction eventually tried to push Infinity as the third single from that Mainly Irritating Trove of Anthems (Meh). Harry, who by that point was famous for his promo skills, grandly declared Infinity as his favourite track from MITAM. Nobody believed that, especially when his lying ass was tweeting Hey Angel lyrics for weeks. Appearance after appearance went by and we mostly stared in blank disbelief as they bored us to death with "live" performances of Infinity. A video was shot (but never materialized). Finally, the general public flocked to History after 1D's last X-Factor performance and Infinity was dead in the water.

There's something so disappointing about this song. I can hear the beginnings of a pretty good ballad, but there's just so much weighing it down. It's at least one minute too long, Harry sounds AWFUL- he destroys any goodwill with those ending adlibs, and there's never really one shining moment to bring it together. It's a goddamn shame. There are some really great lyrics here but they're lost in the slog. I doubt it surprises you to learn that Infinity is another uninspired effort from John, Julian, and their other frequent collaborator Jamie Scott. Sigh.

I listen to each song on repeat while writing and that might not have been a good call here. I think I'm too sleepy to work up much venom. As I said.... I'm mainly disappointed. So let's see who among us has low standards-

For some reason @Animalia gave this a 10. I'd love to enlighten you on why, but they didn't bother explaining. Neither did @tylerc904 (6), @GhettoPrincess (6), @Remorque (7), @Lost In Japan. (9), @MollieSwift21 (7.8), @Macsun (6.5), @Furball (7), @Fever (6.5), @Petty Mayonnaise (8), and @Xanthippe (7). Maybe that says it all, to be honest.

@constantino (8) thinks the vocals are good? ........ Please hold these boys accountable to some standard, dear. " Damn it all the way to hell at me enjoying this sappy, basic-ass ballad. Let’s be real here, the vocal melodies are beautiful and the lyrics aren’t too awful."

So does @Posh Spears (6.5), singling out the worst voice on this song for praise- "Harry’s vocals are nice here but I’m ultimately bored by this song... This same commentary can be recycled for about half of Made in the A.M." Look I'm a born and bred Harry stan but he sounds terrible here. He's not even singing, he's screaming.

@First2Run (7.5) doesn't actually seem to like this, once again puzzling me with their scores- "Is this song named after the amount of time it seems to take this song to end?"

@sexercise (7) wants the video, which I'm sure is just as awful as most of their recent ones- "Fine enough. Didn’t they film a video for this? I know they cancelled the single release but they should’ve thrown it out for the fans or something."

@wackseed (7) intrigues me with this idea- "I can't even lie, I became 1000x more enamored with this song when faced with the possibility that it was written about Zayn."

How many nights have you wished someone would stay?
    Lie awake only hoping they're okay?
    I never counted all of mine
    If I tried, I know it would feel like infinity

OUCH.

Let's move on to the people with greater expectations from One Direction. Although I think most of you fell asleep as only four of you submitted comments-

@Sprockrooster (5) goes after the production- "The production is outright horrible on this." Another disappointment for sure.

@DJHazey (3) is not in the mood- "This looks like one of those ones you'd have to be in certain mood to enjoy. Gazing out a window daydreaming or something, blah. No thanks."

@SophiaSophia (1) drags Harry's idol into this- "I wouldn't like to listen to this infinitely it's boring even the Coldplay ending can't save this."

Finally, @eccentricsimply (0) informs us- "I genuinely can't stand this song."

I'll post a link to one of their live performances, but like I said they just sound bored, out of tune, and done with the whole band by then, so I don't recommend watching it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  9. Oh, I quite enjoy Midnight Memories the song. Infinity less so.

10. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Every bone in my body rejoices seeing MITAM getting killed song by song.

iheartpoptarts and ohnostalgia like this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Why are you surprised? I thought this was a fairly obvious early loss.

12. I had no idea how out of line my One Direction tastes were with the majority opinion?! Infinity is one of the few saving graces of AM...!

Animalia likes this.
  13. I genuinely think it's fantastic! I mean I wasn't expecting top twenty or anything, but I'm shocked it's out this early! Suddenly the @Lost In Japan. is me.

14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Your taste is more out of line than @Sprockrooster's at this point. This is a close competition between you two.
    Remember when you wondered if you were high when rating this?

VivaForever likes this.
  15. To be honest, I don't actually remember what this song even is.

16. Wait at the lyrics being "how many NIGHTS would it take to count the stars" and not "how many KNIGHTS would it take to count the stars". It's only just dawned on me that I thought that lyric made sense because knights tend their sheep in fields at night, when that is actually shepherds.

17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Amazing.

18. Liam's bum note at around the 2:00 mark. Ouch. It's not often Louis sounds better than someone.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  19. This is going swimmingly especially seeing my most scathing commentary of the rate coming up makes me happy and I've only been dragged once so far for liking Alive. Though I'm not bothered about it leaving considering its parent album needs to be dragged a lot.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.