I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 45 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Everybody who likes Zarry thinks Ziam is overrated. I don't like Zarry because I don't like Harry.

2. Ziam remains unbothered and real
    [​IMG]

3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

You sound like a Larry.

To be honest the One Direction pair that gave me the most feelings last year was the breakup of Zayn and Louis.

4. Kings of vocals and sexual tension in their best video
    [​IMG]

VivaForever, wackseed and ohnostalgia like this.
  5. eccentricsimply

Harry "King of Vocals" Styles. I snorted.

That was harsh, indeed. I wonder how many pictures of them Louis has set on fire while staring at the fireplace morosely, smoking one last blunt to their friendship.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I never counted all of mine
    If I tried, I know it would feel like infinity

7. In the Half A Heart commentary it was said "Have they ever released an album with less than 17 songs, no"

Well, I could have sworn that one of these albums had 16 songs. I know because I considered it to be a bit of a break. Look at me clocking errors.

8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Oh dear.

This next one is going to be tough for two of my forum faves

Although to be fair to our others voters I have no idea how this is worth a 10

Let alone TWO of them

It's end of the road for yet another bonus track

[​IMG]

#78. Irresistible [5.458]

High Score: 10 x 2 (@eccentricsimply, @wackseed)
    Low Score: 0 x 1 (@Up Down Suite)

My Score: 6

I firmly believe each genre has their own definition of basic, not just pop. And oh my does Irresistible match the criteria for a basic singer songwriter midtempo. Like John Mayer probably wrote this and cut it from his debut album because it was that basic. We've all heard this song a million times before. It's not particularly terrible, but it's also not particularly great. This is the definition of a shoulder shrug. It's the poster child for "I can't be arsed to skip this on my iPod." It's probably playing somewhere in a Starbucks right now.

It's really really too bad that once again a subpar song is a showcase for Zayn, Harry, and Liam. I really wish they'd have laid off some of the heavy production on the good songs. Maybe then we wouldn't have people giving this high scores just because they can hear the boys sing without technological interference. The final bonus track from Take Me Home, Irresistible was written by McFly's Tom Fletcher. There are a few other McFly collaborations in the One Direction discography, but I'd definitely agree this is the weakest. Shame on you Tom Fletcher, for making money peddling this crap. Do better.

Okay, let's give the 10s the floor.

First, we'll head to Brazil with @eccentricsimply- "So beautiful, so pure, so lovely. In a better and more fair universe this song would've gotten the attention it deserved. It has good lyrics, Zayn's and Liam's vocals are just sensational in this song. It's super simple yet super beautiful, I love it.: There is no universe where people would flock to Irresistible as one of the best One Direction songs. It's not happening.

Now to the United States with @wackseed- "And here we have a nice acoustic-sounding song to end the album. I actually really like this – it's nice to have them not overly pop/synthed up, just their voices and some mellow guitar. Plus there's a lot of Zayn on this song, always a plus. " Look how low One Direction makes us sink? I should sue them for what they did to my best friend.

Let's move on to the people who liked this but who weren't desperate enough to give it a 10.

@First2Run (7.5) weirdly singles out the ending I barely remember- "For a slow song, the boys actually sound pretty good here. Unfortunately the song only really gets interesting towards the end."

@SophiaSophia (7) has a (sensible) limit to her Zayn love- "Only Zayn singing the chorus gives me major feels but it's no [insert SMTV reference] The “beautfiul, beautiful” Corrs Irresistible is it."

@Posh Spears (7) makes a completely laughable Carly Rae reference- "Did Carly Rae’s This Kiss inspire the chorus?" Look I'm a noted non-Kiss stan and even I think this comment is awful.

This song got slightly more scores above seven, propelling it over Half a Heart. However, it was mostly the same people liking both songs- @Lost In Japan. (7), @Txetxu (8), @MollieSwift21 (8), @Macsun (8), @Petty Mayonnaise (8.5). I guess if they want to spend their life listening to mediocre One Direction songs, I can't stop them.

Moving on to @DJHazey (6), who decides to try his skills at producing- "Relationship on the rocks here. A girl has obviously done something that has brought a lot of pain upon the narrator. It's time to find a way to let go, but the problem is that her lips, kiss, etc. are too damn irresistible to live without. This could work better if it was more upbeat I'm afraid, with a chorus led by the guys shouting YOUR LIPS!, YOUR EYES!, etc. to a fun beat." I think you've literally destroyed everything the high scorers love about this song. I'm impressed.

@sexercise (4) demands a refund!- "They can keep this."

@VivaForever (4.5) would probably enjoy the @DJHazey remix- "That was pleasant but really really boring. "

Our last two voters got very worked up over this song. As the Queen of getting worked up over nothing, I truly admire their dedication to the cause. One day we shall meet and throw temper tantrums together. I can feel it.

First the lovely @constantino (3) makes me wonder why there's no zero with this comment? "Surprise, surprise! This is fucking garbage. A steaming, rotting pile of garbage." TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL!

As for our zero giver @Up Down Suite? "They have the most annoying bonuses on this album, bar Nobody Compares, CHRIST." Can't really argue with that teeb. I'm surprised some of them lasted this long, but I guess we all really hated MITAM and Midnight Memories.

I do not believe One Direction performed this live, so you will have to settle for a lyric video. Just try to get your life to this, I dare you.

eccentricsimply and DJHazey like this.
  9. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

I think this is the first song to leave I'm upset with. There's something so familiar and warm during the verses. They sound great during the irresistible part at 2:32. They all sound great on it too.

10. Fletcher should have been a Godfather figure for 1D, with how much they did and could have borrowed from Busted/McFly, but a bunch of his stuff feels like it was given to them because it wasn't deemed good enough for McFly, which is a real shame.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  11. I feel like my score was too high because I tried to remember how it goes just now and all I got was this:

(What a bop.)

12. This gif literally made me tear up for what was and what could've been. What the fuck is a Lima or a Lews anyway.

And then that elimination made me tear up TOO. Maybe I was too traumatized by that first listen-through of MITAM and I just wanted the small youths to sing me to sleep on a cloud of "yeah we totally all love each other and nobody is plotting to kill anyone while they're asleep on the tour bus".

ohnostalgia likes this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm procrastinating on the next elimination because I am livid.

14. Your first 10 maybe. I think the highest song you've lost so far is a 6.

15. eccentricsimply

If it's from FOUR and it's not Act My Age don't bother posting just skip it.

16. Same but with:

(That thumbnail with the brown dress of death...)

ohnostalgia likes this.
  17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

HEY YOU

(YES YOU)

THE ODDS ARE YOU DISGUST ME

WHY DO YOU HATE FUN?

WHY DO YOU HATE IRISH PEOPLE?

WHY DO YOU HATE YOUR GRANDPARENTS?

GUESS WHAT?

I HATE YOU.

A GRAVE INJUSTICE HAS HAPPENED TODAY

RIP MY DEAR SWEET

[​IMG]

#77. ACT MY AGE [5.536]

High Score: 10 x 3 (@Animalia, @wackseed, @Xanthippe)
    Low Score: 0 x 5 (@eccentricsimply, @iheartpoptarts @SophiaSophia, @Mr. Right, @With The Bands)

My Score: 8

So here we are. Perhaps the most polarizing song of the rate has left us. I would like to thank all the people on the correct side of the debate for helping push Act My Age this high. We all know it deserved better, but the buzzkills ruined it. I won't forget this. I should have given this a 10; maybe I could have pushed it past some of their oh so beloved favourites.

I JUST DON'T GET IT. THIS IS SOME GRADE A WHAT THE FUCKERY GENIUS. THIS IS QUESTIONABLE POP MUSIC AT ITS BEST. THIS IS JOHN AND JULIAN WRITING A GOOD TUNE. THIS IS NIALL AT HIS MOST IRISH. THIS IS WHAT WE ALL SHOULD LIVE FOR! I can't count the number of times I've danced to this in my living room. LIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. OH MY GOD SO MANY OF YOU JUST SUCK. HONESTLY.

SO. Which one of you haters is up first?

Hello @eccentricsimply (0) with your pathetic "Yeah... no." What kind of holier than thou too cool for school bullshit comment is this? At least respect yourself and your fellow voters when hating on a masterpiece.

My dear dear @SophiaSophia (0) is oh so predictable. "Awful why are you trying to be ageing rockers doing drunk karaoke at a wedding?" FIRSTABLE- since when was karaoke an insult? That's why this is so amazing. SECONDABLE- ageing rockers wish their last tunes were as amazing as Act My Age. They fucking wish.

@With The Bands (0) - "I bet this was Zayn’s cue to leave" - and @Rasterax (6) - "I assume the moment he was made to sing this was when Zayn decided to get the fuck out." - clearly haven't heard Zayn's own questionable genre-bending trash anthem Do Something Good.

@iheartpoptarts (0) "insults" the boys- "Way to give their kids something to laugh at…" My dear, that is the point. So many wrong opinions, so little time.

OF ALL FUCKING PEOPLE @Sprockrooster (5) can't find it in his heart to love this gem- "Well fucking grow up." I will not stand for this old people hate Sprock!

@sexercise (5) somehow thinks an Irish Pirate song = hoedown. "They can keep this campfire hoedown mess."
    WTF? WTF WTF WTF WTF.

While @VivaForever (5.5) compares them to the Corrs for god knows what reason- "Oh my gosh that Corrs-ish intro had me so excited and then it ended up just being Midshite Memories-ish nonsense. So plebeian. Nonetheless have a 5.5 boys for emulating one of the greatest pop groups of our time, however briefly." I LOVE MY PLEBEIAN IRISH PIRATE KINGS.

Who else is uninvited from my 80th birthday party? Well let's see.... @CorgiCorgiCorgi (2), @Lost In Japan. (2) - REALLY AFTER ALL THE SHIT YOU LIKED?, @KAG (5), @MarkB (1) , @Furball (3), @Reboot (4), @Subwaykid (5), @Daniel! (5), and @Petty Mayonnaise (3) - BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Let's move on to the people I love. The good ones. The amazing. The total stars. May we always get our lives to this Tune. Fuck the haters.

@Posh Spears (6.5) - "Um, that was interesting." I'm being charitable and letting you have this. Because it's very interesting and amazing. Let this be your warning.

@tylerc904 (7) is on the right side of history for once- "I should hate this but I find it fun." You should not hate this and I am glad you do not.

@DJHazey (8) saw this coming a mile away- "What kind of Irish pub song is this? Is this supposed to be the theme song for something? Watch this song get raked over the coals unfairly. " Watch this rate thread burn to the fucking ground more like.

@Up Down Suite (8) slates the pirate vibe but gives this a good score so it all evens out- "Would be 9 if it wasn’t for the pirate song vibe. The chorus is FABULOUS." ISN'T IT?

@First2Run (8.5) just gets it! "The mix of upbeat music sections and slow vocal sections makes for a cool song that essentially encapsulates the whole album." I love so much when we agree.

@Xanthippe (10) gets it about right, "i think you either hate or love this song and i love it, it´s so fun!" Thank you for choosing the light this time.

Now for my two favourite comments. First up we have my beloved @wackseed (10)- "This is the delightful gleeful drinking song that I think Niall always wanted them to perform. Is that an Irish stereotype? Because I genuinely adore this song, it's a rollicking playful gift at the end of a sort of rocky album." A FUCKING MEN.

Take it away @constantino (9)- "This fun lil’ ditty. This is one for the bumpkins for sure. This is the perfect closer for FOUR, what is essentially a coming of age record, mainly because it combines the fun, childish elements from their first two albums with the higher production/vocal quality from their later stuff. What a blast this is."

WHAT A BLAST THIS IS.
    SOB.

Act My Age was the final song in the encore for the On The Road Again tour. During the last tourdate in Sheffeld the boy's families were all in the front row and they danced together. You can witness it here:

Have a not good night haters.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  18. Because The Corrs are fucking amazing.

Vote in the Ultimate Popstar Countdown now.

Act My Age isn't my favorite (obviously with that score), but it's better than like 80% of Midshite Memories and a good chunk of AM, so you hussies did it wrong.

19. @ohnostalgia I don't know how else to ask you this...are you mad? Do you possess anger? Are you experiencing hardships?

20. First disaster of the rate.

Remorque, First2Run and ohnostalgia like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.