I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Ugh scrolled past it. I've added it in.

2. Long Way Down is the first one that stings a little bit.

3. What a dud of a song. Speaking of duds, y'all crazy for having Liam your favorite. There are members of Union J and The Wanted with more personality, and that is coming from someone who thinks VERY little of both groups.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  4. I thought Liam was the best looking at the time I decided he was my favorite. He's also very sweet and (outside of the scorers in this thread) he usually seems to be the least popular of the five members, so I felt like calling him my favorite gave him some of the acknowledgement he deserved.

eccentricsimply likes this.
  5. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

That's my thing with Liam. He says a lot of questionable Hetero shit, but he's just... so nice? Everybody who meets him says he's an incredibly pleasant person and that's saying so much more than some artists out there. Plus he can actually sing and with some work I feel he could be a good songwriter and producer. He just needs someone to give him a lil push.

That said, I did, indeed, forget that song existed.

6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Knew it.

7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Gather round

The time is here

For yet another rant from yours truly

Time to direct my motherly rage slash disappointment to

[​IMG]

#74. End of the Day [5.750]

High Score: 10 x 1 (@tylerc904)
    Low Score: 1 x 1 (@Sprockrooster)

My Score: 5

I could just smack these boys sometimes. While they started writing this for Four, End of the Day eventually surfaced as the fifth track on that Middling Incomplete Trek of Alarming Music. It was released as a promo track, which is odd, because there's no way in hell this should promote anything except the importance of songwriting workshops. Per usual, I have many questions. Why do One Direction insist on creating beautiful halves of songs and then tacking terrible parts on as an afterthought????????? Why the fuck didn't the rest of them tell Harry to stop screaming??????????/ Who allowed Louis to sing the bridge?????????????//???????????/ Who wasted these incredible lyrics on this???????? Who decided that aping all the screamy choruses from fun. was a great idea??????????????/

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Ahem. I don't even have to ask because I just know this is Louis, Liam, John, and Julian's handiwork. But get this- three other writers helped them. How on earth do you get seven people writing a song and not one of them goes..... hmmmmmmmmmm this doesn't really work together? LORD'T. I know the reason though. One Direction fans allow the boys to get away with this shit. It didn't matter what the boys released, they knew they would still rake in the money. But I've had enough!!!!!!!!! So it's time to name and shame the voters in this rate who accept half-assed crap into their lives and let the boys skate through life. YOU ALL RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US.

@tylerc904 (10) is the perfect illustration. Despite telling me that, "The jarring verse-to-chorus doesn't distract from those amazing bridges, delivered by the two vocally-limited boys" he just threw out a ten like candy. Honestly, you gave them a ten for a shitty bridge. But even if it was the most amazing bridge in existence, a good bridge does not an entire song make. What an enabler.

Oh look. Here's @First2Run (9) to further prove my point- "This song is a rollercoaster of amazing and mediocre and I love it." So basically you gave a mediocre song a nine? That's what happened here? A song should be a rollercoaster of different types of amazing, not whatever you just said. Do you work for One Direction? Are you their yes man?

Yo @constantino (8)! I know you're new to this whole One Direction fan business, but please hold the boys to some standards!- "Again, my expectations for this album were so low that I’m shocked to enjoy this track so much. This is kind of basic and I could swear that I’ve heard this exact melody somewhere else before, but I enjoy it none-the-less."

Hello @Posh Spears (9). My response to your commentary is not meant as a personal attack, but you've simply hit a nerve with me- "It’s so funny how the verses and chorus don’t sound anything alike. But it’s a sweet song and a nice sort-of gay anthem!" Comments like this always frustrate me because on one hand if we LGBT+ folks want to interpret a song as gay then I say fuck that heteronormativity up! But at the same time I also don't like giving the songwriters credit for supposed representation they never intended. Tricky tricky.

Back to people with low expectations, here's @DJHazey (7)- " I think I just got whiplash going from Infinity to this. Whoever is screaming in the background at times makes it borderline irritating, but the verses are bopworthy." Look I love the verses too, but the rest is so so shitty.

We had a few other enablers voting and don't think I'll forget them just because they had nothing to say- @Up Down Suite (7), @Txetxu (7), @Macsun (7.5), @thefaceofyou (7), @Furball (7.5), @Animalia (9.5), and @Fever (7).

Let's move on to the more demanding amongst us. For once @Sprockrooster (1) has not annoyed me with his score- "Okay. This was just awful."

@SophiaSophia (4) directs their ire where it's always needed- "The most painful middle 8 from Louis so far JUST STAHP"

@KAG (3) is perfect- "The transition from the verses to the chorus is abominable. It sounds like they've stitched two random songs together and the chorus isn't even all that catchy. The production is very cheap and demo-sounding too. When I first listened to the album, I singled this out as one of my faves but it's actually rubbish with repeated listens. Not their best."

So is @iheartpoptarts (6.5)- "They must’ve written two entirely different songs and stuck them together. The one in the verses is gorgeous. Can I have the rest of it?"

@VivaForever (3.5) clearly only remembers the terrible chorus and bridge- "What kind of Midnight Memories leftover."

While @sexercise (6.8) tragically gets it ALL WRONG- "This has potential. Terrible verses but the rest of the song kind of slays.."

@Rasterax (6.5) only gets it half wrong, so it could be worse- "Feels like two songs hapharzardly stuck together, though they're both decent."

@eccentricsimply (6) knows the boys could do better- "It's not the worst song in this album, but it feels like it's missing something. Also the repetitive beat is just underwhelming. There are some fun lyrics."

Meanwhile @wackseed (3) is booking her chiropractor appointment right now- "Woahhh, the change between the verse and the chorus gave me some severe musical whiplash, like what the hell was THAT? "

I have to give the last word to @A$AP Robbie (4) because I honestly do not understand this comment. But it seems iconic. " I GOT BILLS !I GOT TO PAY! SO I AM GOING TO DONATE A SO SO TRACK TO ONE DIRECTION! "

While I try to calm down, you could watch this tragic live performance from the Apple Music Festival. Louis is a definite lowlight, but Harry ain't much better. Liam also seems off. Niall was there.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  8. The talented ones write the verses, the flop ones write the chorus, and somehow they don't check to see what each other are doing until it's much, much too late. That is the only possible explanation.

Also, I had no idea LunchMoney Lewis did One Direction songs. Apparently he also helped write 'Break a Sweat' by Becky G. Random!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. Bills is better than half of the songs in this rate.

10. I really am a mess in this rate aren't I? Maybe I just craved some dragging after being so middle of the road in every rate!

I can only pray I didn't mess up the scores on the songs you DO enjoy @ohnostalgia spare me.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Oh dear.

I hope a certain fan campaign doesn't catch wind of this...

I guess I can assume that PJ does NOT support it

(at least I don't)

I'm actually a bit delighted with the timing

Bye bye Project

[​IMG]

#73. Home [5.861]

Highest Score: 9 x 2 ( @Sprockrooster, @wackseed)
    Lowest Score: 0 x 1 (@eccentricsimply)

My Score: 6

Ah yes- Project Home. Let's just say that I have many many many many philosophical differences with the leaders of this project. Too many to bore you with so I'll give you the cliff notes version. First, one of the main justifications for this project seems to be how all the LGBT+ fans embraced this as their anthem which a) news to my bi self, b) "oddly" it's mainly one section of the fandom saying this, and c) please refer to my commentary for End of the Day. Second, this seems like a carefully planned distraction for fans who are not happy with how the hiatus is going, particularly for [redacted]. Just a simple observation. Third, the song isn't that great? Why aren't we launching Project What a Feeling? That's like the one song we all mostly loved. Now maybe I'm the most terrible person in the world and I'm completely misrepresenting Project Home. Go participate then. I'll stay over here with my disapproval and bitterness.

One thing I do agree with them about- this song deserved to make it onto Mind Imploding Terrors of Auditory Messiness (MITAM) over some of the dreck we've already eliminated (it was only included on the Perfect EP but I stuck it with the album for consistency sake). This one is at least listenable. Unfortunately, it's pretty generic. Seems like any indie-rock song from the 2000s with a slightly folk rock twist. And where there are generic knockoffs Louis and Liam are sure to follow. This time they enlisted Jamie Scott into their mess. Doesn't seem like much of an improvement to me. So do the voters agree with me? Are they haters? Are they lovers? Can we make this rate A Home?

Judging by @Sprockrooster's (9) comment, we might as well just remain a broken household. I'm giving you advance warning for the terror contained in his message- "Such an amazing blend of sounds and lush production. A Louis-solo version of this is all I crave for and this should be his direction. Cheesy poprock and naked scenes in the video." .... this is probably a glimpse into the mind of an average Project Home supporter.

I think there's a Project Home post waiting to be written by @wackseed (9)- "Awww, and here these guys come with this little bit of heartfelt emotion a la “Don't Forget Where You Belong” to make me sad. Like how much must it suck to put out an album without Zayn? They must've tried so hard to keep this thing that's been going nonstop for five years feeling like home. ...this album is still disappointing though." But she made it about Zayn so it's alright.

I'm sure @First2Run (7.5) will participate- "This song is cute and by far a superior album closer to A.M. " Will @sexercise (7) join him?- "Not bad at all especially since they decided to revive the b-side for a hot minute. "

@iheartpoptarts (5) is going to be baffled when she hears about Project Home- "I was this close to forgetting to rate it altogether. Says it all, really! "

If she's not ignoring it completely, I'm sure @eccentricsimply (0) could take down the project single handedly- "I was happy with ignoring the existence of this song, but it didn't change anything so. "

I don't think this is the messaging Project Home wants either-

@DJHazey (5) - "Wait, so this is it? I'm done? I feel like getting 'home' from a long day's work"

@constantino (5) - "YES! I’M DONE! I FUCKING FINISHED THE ALBUM! NO MORE! I’M FREE! Oh wait? The last track? It was ok, albeit dull. Nothing remarkable. "

Finally @SophiaSophia (1) should really just be our life coach with this advice- "I'm going to listen to Mind of Mine and forget this album never happened."

So yeah. I'm going to go listen to Mind of Mine and forget this ever happened. If you want to sabotage yourself you could watch this lyric video instead.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  12. @Sprockrooster love yourself.

Sprockrooster and ohnostalgia like this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Or don't.

Petty Mayonnaise likes this.
  14. Not me and @constantino apparently going through the same exact struggles, shown in our commentary.

constantino likes this.
  15. I'm not sure anything left on that album is deserving of a project...

(At least they love 'No Control'?)

ohnostalgia likes this.
  16. Enjoying the leave of most of the forgettable nonsense (still #JusticeforTrulyMadlyDeeply though) and excited to get into the real iconic jams and see some meltdowns as we progress!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Yeah come on people. I can't shoulder all the meltdowns on my own.

I was going to post another cut, but I'm too tired so let me leave it half finished. Before you start complaining I'm going to a musical tomorrow night so I was afraid I wouldn't be able to post any eliminations. Now I should be able to post at least one tomorrow!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  18. End Of The Day is ... bad.

Home is another track I can't remember ever listening to.

19. Both mediocre tracks, End of the Day is slightly better than Home.

20. End of the Day is so bad, the transition from verse into Everything Has Changed (feat. Ed Sheeran)the awful chorus is too distracting.

I appreciated Home because, yas kings, give us a b-side in this online day and age, bring back the tradition, but as a song it is pretty middling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.