I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 50 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Is a fun enough novelty record (already soundtracking adverts). To get LL in for this screams cash-in with pop flavour of the month tho.

2. Neither 'End of the Day' nor 'Bills' hold a candle to 'Trini Dem Girls' anyway.

CorgiCorgiCorgi and DJHazey like this.
  3. I gave End Of The Day an 8 because I had been listening to MITAM, meaning that my perception of quality had been skewed.

If it was a FOUR track, it would have gotten a 5, maybe 6 at best.

wackseed and CorgiCorgiCorgi like this.
  4. I agree. I kind of rated MITAM tracks based more on the album rather than their other discography and the group as a whole. Although I still did take the latter into account a little of course.

constantino likes this.
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Hello lovelies!

It's a wonderful night for an elimination!

Especially since I actually forgot this was still in!

I think I'll pass on this offer, boys.

[​IMG]

#72. Save You Tonight [6.008]

High Score: 9.8 x 1 (@MollieSwift21)
    Low Score: 0 x 1 (@sexercise)

My Score: 5

Oh dear. Here is yet another "not quite" effort from the boys; it genuinely depresses me thinking about how many of these pepper the boy's discography. Save You Tonight is the twelfth track from their debut album Up All Night. It is also a RedOne production, which is apparently a big deal to you all (at least you wouldn't shut up about it in the commentary). I'm genuinely uninterested in learning more about RedOne so don't bother "educating" me. Please and thank you.

There are so so many reasons why this song is a huge mess. Let's start with how the production completely buries the boys' voices. I signed up to listen to One Direction, not computers! The production is at it's worst with that horrible IIIIIIIIIIIIIIi section; I don't even recognize their voices. Another reason: Louis commits yet another crime against music and humanity with his dire performance on the bridge. RedOne needed to mute that asshole. ALSO- that beat is so samey and irritating, plus I've heard it in how many other songs from 2011-2012 (yes I have a huge issue with the musical year 2012, but let me save that rant for another day). Lastly, those fucking lyrics irritate me to no end. I could give you an entire feminist critique but let me just sum it up by saying: nice guy, patronizing, are you stalking her?, she can make up her own damn mind. SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.

Can you believe there are people who stan for this?

Unfortunately, this score from @DJHazey (9) was so predictable I could just laugh for hours- "Like "I Wish" this is another "you should be with me instead" anthem and some of the lyrical choices are odd to the say the least. You're saving her heart from what exactly? He's overrated by whom? The vocal-only delivery of the chorus makes it sound very much like Scandi-pop and the RedOne production sounds very much like Gaga...of course I love all this. The 'superman' lines are also kind of weird but work somehow."

@SophiaSophia (8) is giving me horrible flashbacks to rating Hilary Duff's first two albums with this commentary- "This is a bit Disney Pop Rock isn't it." I WAS JUST GETTING OVER THAT!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile @First2Run (8.5) needs to stop judging people and set some standards for himself first- "I live for the “AAAAIEEEAAYYY” as any decent person should." I think I'm okay, but thanks for your concern dear.

@A$AP Robbie (8) reaffirms my suspicion that I don't want to know this RedOne guy- "Surprised this didn't get more of a single push - You can hear that this is RedOne a mile away. "

I would never take @Posh Spears (7) shopping with me- "This song is bad but it also kind of makes me laugh so I like it."

@constantino (8) makes a comparison that wounds the Katy Perry fan in me- "Their very own Walking On Air…so fucking dated but a bop nonetheless."

@Animalia (7) is also making strange Katy Perry references- "This is all well and good until the middle eight gives me major Firework vibes and it throws me off completely. A decent bop, but there's nothing really special about it."

@Animalia You held me down, but I got up
    Already brushing off the dust
    You hear my voice, you hear that sound
    Like thunder gonna shake the ground
    You held me down, but I got up
    Get ready @constantino 'cause I've had enough
    I see it all, I see it now!!!!!!!

Yo @tylerc904 (8), @Remorque (8), @MollieSwift21 (9.8), @Reboot (8), and @Fever (9)!

I'm wide awake
    Not losing any sleep
    I picked up every piece
    And landed on my feet
    I'm wide awake

I'm wide awake
    Yeah, I am born again
    Out of the lion's den
    I don't have to pretend
    And it's too late
    The story's over now, the end

I have no idea what happened there. But I refuse to delete it from my writeup. Anyways, let's move on the few of you who sent in critical comments!

Let's start with @Up Down Suite (6) who took a slight step off the bad taste ledge today- "Almost a 7, though I feel like it lacks that something to make it sound like a hit. Would’ve been a nice single."

@VivaForever (5) singles out the lackluster writing- "It feels like they were trying to do something a little different with this, but it didn’t quite make it. That’s down to the songwriters though, not the boys. I actually really like their performance on this."

@eccentricsimply (5) simply tells us "Eh."

Okay, I know those comments weren't overly hateful. Let's turn to @KAG (2) who is perfect for the second song in a row- "The verses aren't that bad, however the hook is excruciatingly shrill and the lyrics make me cringe."

@With The Bands (2) is asking the important questions- "Louis lead chorus – WHY?!" To be fair I can't tell if that's Louis being his usual self or the production sucking the soul out of the others and bringing them down to his level.

@wackseed (3.5) also has Problems with the lyrics- "Remember all those long diatribes about how infantilizing towards women the lyrics of What Makes You Beautiful were? Yeah I kinda see it more with this song. Like, calling the girl a doll? Saying they'll be the superhuman who rescues her? Ehhhhhhhh. The boys sound nice enough, but the lyrics are really putting me off it. " KILL THEM.

@sexercise (0) perfectly sums it up- "Straight Nonsense: The Song."

Special shoutout to the wonderful voters who will hopefully catch my easter egg in the Save You Tonight graphic. You are excused from watching this performance.

I'm going to a musical tonight, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to cut another song. If not, I'll see you all tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  6. RedOne made Just Dance, so he can do whatever the fuck he wants after. But its a shame that what he wants to do is like, Starships, and not like, another Just Dance.

7. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Y'all make a good point about the lyrics.

8. I'm sure most girls wouldn't complain about being saved by One Direction, but average song is average, basically!

9. RedOne can be AMAZING but he is completely faceless trash at his worst. He should be in prison for inflicting JLo's Live It Up on us. At least it flopped though I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  10. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

There's one song that since doing this rate I haven't been able to stop playing I should have given it a 10. At least it still scored well with a 9.4.

11. I thought the Easter egg was the telephone because on mobile it looks like birth control, ignore me.

Also bye @ End Of The Day (not the les mis version tragically)

ohnostalgia likes this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Nope, try again!

13. Hell yes- we're onto the 6+ averages!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Only took almost twenty songs, sheesh.

15. I love Save You Tonight.

Remorque likes this.
  16. I like Save You Tonight.

Remorque likes this.
  17. NOOOOOOOOO.

Harry can totally save me whenever he wants.

18. I hate Save You Tonight

ohnostalgia likes this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Since you all failed/ignored my Easter egg in the graphic, let me show you how Zayn inspired Ghost Rider:

[​IMG]

20. I am not that wellacquainted with their artwork, so I did not notice it. And with OneDirection you just never know... precious

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.