I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 51 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. I had no idea who that guy was! I just figured he was there because of the superhero-themed lyrics or whatevs...

Anyway, yay for being thoroughly educated on all things 1D!

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  2. How based on Zayn is he? Does he promise to save people then mysteriously refuse to show up, getting forgiven by everyone because he's generally amazing??

3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Okay I know I've failed with keeping up the schedule, so I hate to say that I may not be able to eliminate anything tonight. I've got a pretty bad headache and just woke up from a three hour nap. Honestly, I feel like I may just go have another one.

4. Your health is more important than the rate! Stay well luvvie.
    Oh god this just gave me flashbacks to my X Factor rate... (Where Save You Tonight was their fifth-highest song and made top 20, actually.)

iheartpoptarts and ohnostalgia like this.
  5. Yes well. I'm nothing if not predictable.

I just really really love Harry.

VivaForever likes this.
  6. At least you stan for the best member, which is more than I can say for some people around here... *thinks about Liam and Lewis stans, shakes head*

wackseed and ohnostalgia like this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Okay, I don't like that Liam is the apparent fave here, but he's nowhere near on Louis' level.

8. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Liam's messiness is entertaining. Louis' messiness is cringeworthy.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. I love dreamy Liam!

10. Liam and Louis and Niall are all the same level of tragic.

Harry and Zayn are my Kings.

11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Posts like this really undersell just how tragic Louis is. Not on my watch.

VivaForever likes this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you miss me?

I hope so!

Let's kill another One Direction song!

[​IMG]

#71. Taken [6.033]

High Score: 9.5 x 1 (@iheartpoptarts)

Low Score: 1 x 2 (@Furball, @Up Down Suite)

My Score: 6

Released as the eighth track on Up All Night, Taken is one of the first songs to have the boys listed as a cowriters (along with unfortunate Skycraper writer Lindy Robbins). Unfortunately for them, most of you decided this was Not A Good Thing. I'm sure the champions of this song will volunteer to wipe the boys' tears after the rest of you stomped on their hearts. For me, Taken is one of the their songs that's just kinda there. I think the problem is this sounds so flat.... like the verses almost sound as if they're sung on the same note throughout? The highlight for me is Zayn on the bridge! The lyrics are just so amazingly passive aggressive; I almost died laughing the first time I paid attention. Such a teenage moment. I also love Zayn's petulant delivery. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!! God, I live for moments like that.

What did the rest of you think? Let's get @Animalia's (4) incorrect opinion out of the way- "Nope nope nope I cannot deal with these high school garage band vocals, gross. Who okayed that middle eight!? The ending doesn't work either. A big ol' mess, basically." The answer to your question is God.

@eccentricsimply (8) just gets it! Love that girl! "This song cracks me up because it's so passive aggressive? It's just amazing to listen to."

@KAG
    (6) is today's plagiarism police!- "I like the sentiment of this song and the way Zayn pronounces 'jealous', however the melody and production is so similar to 'If I Were a Boy'. It's actually embarrassing." Personally I don't hear it, and I clock a lot of their knock offs.

I can't tell if this is shade, @A$AP Robbie (5) - "Yay, the first 1D-co-write! (It also sounds like what you'd expect from that) ."

@First2Run (6) continues to terrify me with this namedrop- "What kind of David Archuleta album track? It’s alright." Can you not let America put that episode behind them?

@wackseed (4) finds her silver lining!- "Tragically this is not the theme song for the Liam Neeson movie. Not so tragically, Lewis apparently doesn't get a single solo in it."

Speaking of Lewis, who knew @Sprockrooster (8) could enjoy a song without his vocals? "Drifting and going nowhere, but this time it is not a bad thing, because it is so damn easy on the ears!"

Noted boyband fan @iheartpoptarts (9.5) is here for this- "So simple, but it works so well!"

But @Furball (1) - "NO thanks" and @Up Down Suite (1) "Eh." are not. Such articulate thoughts here!

Time for your daily dose of Straight Thoughts With @DJHazey (5) - "A song about the benefits time has on healing a wounded heart. It's kind and respectful approach to moving on, but with a little edge to it: "This is not about you anymore". The fact that they tend to linger on about how much they moved on counteracts the point they are making. Also, I feel this song would become repetitive pretty quickly."

@sexercise
    (6.5) confuses me- " It has a nice melody." WHERE?

While @VivaForever (5) won't leave the past in the past goddamn you- "Once again we see the boys mimicking the lyrics of a better song: in this case In Demand by Texas. Honestly this REALLY sounds like a self-titled-era Hilary song to me. That’s not a drag, just an observation. God knows it’s better than at least a third of self-titled Hilary."

Hey, it's @With The Bands (8) turn to mention some random act I don't know- "Incredibly underrated and Harry sounds gorgeous here. Very BB-Mac (if anyone remembers them?)" I do appreciate the Harry compliment, however.

I can't stop picturing @constantino (8) as that one kid from School of Rock- "I’m usually not here for their acoustic stuff…especially with such tacky key changes. That being said, their vocals are pretty tolerable and the chorus is sweet"

Last word to @SophiaSophia (8.5) who may have broken my heart with this potential Four drag. Unless it's a Made in the A.M. drag, then please carry on! "Their later albums should have used this song as the blueprint for mature Pop Rock."

I couldn't find a live performance of Taken, which is weird. What in the hell did they perform during the Up All Night tour then? Have a lyric video instead!

Yes today I will be back with some more cuts! FINALLY!

13. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

All of y'all suck for not giving this song the scores it deserved. So many worse songs in MITAM for you to do Taken like this.

VivaForever likes this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I've personally been wanting to chop Love You Goodbye for ages, but they won't let me.

15. No surprise there. Anyway, I'm happy you're back @ohnostalgia. Who knows where my sanity was when I wasn't reading new 1D eliminations!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  16. My comment was a Midnight Memories and Made In The AM drag there's very little worth dragging on Four.

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  17. WHAT THE FUCK. I used to walk home from school listening to Up All Night when I was 16. Taken was one of my favourites. This rate is killing me.

CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.
  18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm relieved.
    You didn't vote!!!!!
    I've missed you all too. I'm very upset about the next one, so you all better prepare.

VivaForever likes this.
  19. I don't know what I'm going to do when Nobody Compares gets eliminated too early. I only realized recently that I should've given it my 11.

CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.

20. Planning to vote in the boyband rate JUST to give this my 11.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.