I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 53 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. I love the facial expression of Louis in the Taken artwork.

Not too much caring about the casualties, but I am agreeing there is worse left.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I try to pick something entertaining for you. Glad you noticed.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  3. Olivia is amazing and I should've given it a 10!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I tried to be more critical and not give out tens like candy, but look where that got me. RIP Olivia and Act My Age.

wackseed and CorgiCorgiCorgi like this.
  5. You are all cruel. Once In A Lifetime is one of the best songs they've put their name on.

6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Karma for your Olivia score teeb.

Up Down Suite likes this.
  7. I LOVE Once In A lifetime!

No track from FOUR should be out yet, you beasts!

eccentricsimply likes this.
  8. Once In A Lifetime is gorgeous, you heathens!

constantino and eccentricsimply like this.
  9. I do love 'Taken', but this is going much too well to complain!

P.S. Nothing against the Beatles at all! They've got some bops for sure, but 'Olivia' clearly wasn't inspired by those...

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

FOUR has only lost two songs, which is pretty phenomenal considering how much has been cut from other albums. Will the streak continue? Stay tuned! (Was that menacing enough?)

CorgiCorgiCorgi and constantino like this.
  11. No.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

[​IMG]

How about now?

13. Perfect.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  14. Why are people getting so upset about these songs that I can't remember?

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Well it would be boring if we weren't.

constantino and iheartpoptarts like this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Hello!

Have we recovered from last night's controversies?

I hope so....

As I'm afraid there will be MORE upset people today!

(Not that I'm one of them)

Guess it wasn't meant 2 be!

[​IMG]

#68. Magic [6.089]

High Score: 10 x 2 (@DJHazey, @SophiaSophia)

Low Score: 0 x 1 (@Xanthippe)

My Score: 6

Magic is one of the Target bonus tracks from the boy's second album Take Me Home. Written by Rami Yacoub, Carl Falk, Savan Kotecha, and produced by Shellback, this is definitely better than some of the songs included on Take Me Home. Why on earth were we subjected to Little Things and Over Again when they could have added Magic to the standard tracklist? The baffling music decisions of One Direction strike again!

At the same time, this isn't a peak One Direction song. It's very very basic and the production bothers me. Why do they insist on making the boys sound so artificial? They have three very good singers in this band, they don't need to be computerized! As for the other two, well just mute [redacted]'s mic and turn the volume down on Niall. Why won't they listen to me???????????? Another strike against this song, which I didn't pick up on until some of you voters mentioned it- this is a subpar knock off of One Thing. It's not enough that they copy other artist's songs, now they're copying their own! It's a good thing these little plagiarizers didn't go to university, isn't it?

This got a weird level of love from some of you, but then again this is PJ, the land of praising basic bops, so I shouldn't be surprised. Let's start with our 10 givers!

Time for more straight talk with @DJHazey (10)- "Now this is the kind of basic bop I can wrap my head around. It's that euphoric feeling when you realize the girl you're with is hitting all the right spots and you want to climb to nearest mountain and scream to the world what she means to you." Is this really the case if all you're inspired by is a basic bop? Learn to raise your standards.

@SophiaSophia (10) says, "This time I'm annoyed at region exclusive bonus songs cause this is brilliant." Well I mean that's an incorrect way to describe this song, I suppose.

For some contrast let's move to our low scorer @Xanthippe (0)- "Never managed to listen to the entire song at once. Horrible. No loss, that it´s not available in my country." LOOK. If I could sit through all those dire ballads you loved from Made in the A.M. plus LITTLE THINGS, you can make it through a generic bop. I believe in you.

@Sprockrooster (1) is itching for a new vibe- "I feel like I heard this song already multiple times on this album" I mean, I guess you can go back to getting your life to Little Things. That seems like a good way to solve all our problems here.

Oft bonus track stan @eccentricsimply (3) can't read suddenly, she doesn't know- "I always forget this song exists."

@With The Bands (9) continues @SophiaSophia's incorrect word usage - "BRILLIANT" MEDIOCRE.

I guess I should tell @sexercise (8) they could have picked this up at Target- "Lemme import the Japanese version of this album real quick."

@wackseed
    (5) is TIRED- "Damn this is a long album. This song is fun and has some nice vocals, but I'm not overly impressed or convinced this NEEDED to be added."

I'm going to take this as a compliment because it implies One Direction are better than this. Let me have this @VivaForever (6)- "This sounds like a lesser group trying to sound like 1D."

@First2Run (8.5) continues their string of ill-advised decisions in this rate- "One Direction had their very own Black Magic all along! Well, almost…" You in danger.

@constantino (4) was the first of our One Thing clockers- "What kind of PATHETIC attempt to re-create the magic (ah-hem) of One Thing. You ain’t slick, lads." @Lost In Japan. (7) was the second- ""At at least two points while listening to this song I got confused and thought I was listening to ‘One Thing’."

@Posh Spears
    (7.5) singles out the bothersome production- "They sound so funny in the da-da bits." Didn't seem to affect their score very much though.

Of course @iheartpoptarts (8.5) loves this- "Sounds like every 1D song ever, but that’s why I like it!" Why can I imagine you decked out in black holding vigils for all the Take Me Home sequels that never happened?

Last word to @A$AP Robbie (8) who amuses me with this Live While We're Young callback- ""let em take a picture/spread it all over the world" I'm getting mixed messages on this album guys."

While the basic bop lovers get sad in the comments, you could soundtrack it with this lyric video.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  17. Basic bops can be inspiring.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  18. Magic blows. Good cut.

19. That's actually exactly what I was saying.

wackseed and ohnostalgia like this.
  20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Next up!

Let's go back to an album that's done remarkably well.

I'm honestly surprised it's holding up.

This is by far my favourite era to make graphics for

They just seem so genuinely happy!

I suppose this song could be considered a bit of a prophecy now.

[​IMG]

#67. Same Mistakes [6.158]

High Score: 10 x 2 (@MollieSwift21, @Xanthippe)
    Low Score: 0 x 1 (@Up Down Suite)

My Score: 6

Can I take a moment to indulge my One Direction feelings?

Or else we'll play, play, play all the same old games (same mistakes)
    And we wait, wait, wait for the end to change (when nothing's gonna change)
    And we take, take, take it for granted that we’ll be the same (well nothing's gonna be the same)
    But we're making all the same mistakes

OUCH. Honestly, this reads like the last months before Zayn left One Direction. Reading some of the interviews he gave about the creative process, I can't help but wonder how many times the other boys ignored his work, taking for granted everything would be the same? How many tension filled nights did they have before the end came? Could anything have changed the outcome or was it destined to be? Is there a world where One Direction still exist as a five piece band? These are some of the questions that come to mind when I listen to this song now. I AM SAD.

Thank you for not scrolling, you're all darling! Same Mistakes is the eleventh track from the boy's debut Up All Night. Although written primarily by Steve Robson and Wayne Hector, this is another track the boys had some input on. Which just makes my previous paragraph even more devastating in my mind. As I'm listening to this, I wish I had bumped it up to a 7. While this is normally not the type of midtempo I go for, there are a few things that stand out to me and elevate it over some of the other songs I gave a six. The first would be the chorus- it's really very lovely, isn't it? Second, Liam sounds heavenly on the bridge. Look what happens when you let him sing without distorting it horrifically! Third, Zayn's adlibs near the end are giving me life, particularly when you think about the interviews he's now given. I'm glad he got this moment to improvise and showcase his beautiful voice. Oh dear, I'm getting a little sappy here. *sniff* Before I trigger a full on crying fit, let's hand it over to the voters. Let's start with this comment that now personally offends me after the beautiful twist I just put on this song-

@wackseed (4)- "We get it, guys, your relationship is tragic and you need couples counseling. Go on and get it and stop bleating sadly about it." Come around to my POV dearest.

@DJHazey (5) has some weird ideas about what is filler and what isn't (cough Magic cough)- "It's a decently written song, I'll give them that much. But ultimately we're talking about filler here," while @sexercise (5) is succinct- "Eh. No."

I sense that @A$AP Robbie (4) has a battle of wills going on here- "Oh wait, here's the Wayne Hector that I know and struggle to tolerate" OH GOD HE WROTE A SONG FOR JESS GLYNNE. LET ME SUPPORT THIS HATE.

Speaking of grudge matches I support, here's @VivaForever (5)- "These songs kind of blend together for me. This is what Syco always does and it drives me crazy." Not even a fan and she's already blaming management! You'd fit in.

@Animalia (6.5) almost made me hunt them down for a score! "Oops this completely passed me by when I was rating the album, only realised I had a blank score when I went back later. Another boring, non-descript slowie."

@First2Run (6.5) is like yeah yeah yeah and then nah nah nah- "This is a very charming little song but it is definitely missing something to make it solid. At one moment I love the chorus, but the next moment I despise it."

Let's move on to the sap lovers! I'll let our 10 giver @Xanthippe speak first- "I really love this one, but i feel it usually get´s ignored."

@eccentricsimply (9) agrees- "One of their best tracks and it's so incredibly underrated."

Let's have @SophiaSophia (8.7) illustrate this- "They had some decent midtempos and ballads on this album this song surprised me by its quality."

@constantino (7) sees the faults, but can overlook them and get his life- "The chorus is SO generic and SO predictable, but I really enjoy it nonetheless."

Last word to @With The Bands (8.5) who brings up the holy grail of British boybands (at least from what I can gather)- "Take That-esque. The chorus is incredible."

While I continue composing sad One Direction headcanons, you could watch this very real lyric video.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.