I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 54 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Wow this forum sucks. I refuse to like this post.

2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Why are you shooting the messenger?

Deleted member 21339 likes this.
  3. I will do it for you!

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  4. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Noooo! I thought this was doing pretty well compared to where I thought it would end up. This song really crept up on me when I had the first album. It was just alright but then became one of the songs I came back to most.

Liam sounds great on it. Despite the lyrics of it the whole song just sounds pretty. The lyrics are pretty solid too.

Hopefully my other 10 from Up All Night goes top 10.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. Gorl I'm a Cher Lloyd and Fleur East fan. I'm going to blame Syco whenever anything goes wrong.

But seriously, making an album with a bunch of songs that sound the same is Syco's modus operandi. Cases in point: Spirit and Love, Sax and Flashbacks.

6. It's a very typical Cowell thing to do you only have to look at Westlife's albums he worked on which are very similar sounding. It's the reason I got bored of them I hate predictable sounding albums.

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  7. I forgot what Magic even was until I read my commentary, kii.

And aww! Same Mistakes deserves better. Perhaps this means we're finally past mediocre territory?

VivaForever likes this.
  8. SAME.

9. Since it's hard to convey the internet, I'll clarify my sarcasm in regards to Magic comparing to Black Magic, one obviously doesn't hold a candle to the other.

You can decide which is which, kii.

10. It's so easy to forget the bonus songs at the end of a 20-track album!

11. For Magic and Same mistakes to appear together
    ...bit tragic

12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Final cut of the night!

I guess I spoke too soon about this album doing well.

Two cuts in one day.

Poor it.

[​IMG]

#66. I Should Have Kissed You [6.161]

High Score: 9.8 x 1 (@SophiaSophia)

Low Score: 1 x 1 (@Up Down Suite)

My Score: 5

I'm glad to see this one go, and not just because they refused to contract "Should Have" into "Should've" (ALTHOUGH THAT WOULD HAVE SAVED ME SOME TROUBLE IN THE GRAPHIC). The b-side to Up All Night, I Should Have Kissed you was written by Savan Kotecha (of Cool for the Summer fame) and Teddy Sky. Look, I know it was their debut and they probably couldn't be picky, but were they so desperate for an 18th track that they thought this would do? I just don't get it. Moving on, I Should Have Kissed You contains more of that awful artificial production that prominently features on Up All Night (and which I loathe). Wikipedia tells me that it's RedOne inflicting this mess on me, and I don't care that he fucking produced Just Dance, he needs to stop!!!!!! Just stop.... all of it. It's beyond irritating at this point, plus I Should Have Kissed You is just too basic to survive such crap production. Like if this was the greatest song a boyband produced in the last ten years, maybe I could stomach whatever RedOne did to this track. Maybe.

This is another basic bop that got an ungodly amount of love. Did you all just tune out the production? How the voices are drowned? How the boys sound awful? Will you lot endure anything for some almost bop set over a trashy beat? Let's see how you explain yourselves here. I just cannot wait.

Before I begin, let me say that noted basic bop lover @DJHazey (6) is not even bopping to this- "The lyric videos are helping me figure who is singing when, and yes Harry's part is definitely the best...so I think I made the right pick with that. Even though this is the kind of song I generally seem to be liking from them, this ends up being very blah." I'd like the high scorers to think about this and reflect on their life choices.

@First2Run (5) singles out the atrocious chorus, thank god- "This song had potential, but the chorus is absolutely treacherous. It clearly didn’t get the love and attention some of the other songs got."

That was the extent of the meh commentary I received. Way to hang me out to dry and make me look like an irrational banshee @Up Down Suite (1), @KAG (5.5), @Sprockrooster (5), @thefaceofyou (5), @MarkB (5), @Furball (2), @Subwaykid (3), @Reboot (4.5), @Rasterax (5), @Animalia (4.5), @Daniel! (5), and @Xanthippe (5). I am merely citing these people as proof that I did not rig the votes. Their lack of support to my cause is honestly disturbing me.

Let's move on to the strange people who are getting their lives to this. I'm just going to get this out of the way, since @A$AP Robbie (7) is confusing me again, "Secret feels related to this song." Please explain!

@sexercise (7) likes this, but not enough for a single. Thank goodness for some common sense! "Good but I actually think this one fits as a b-side."

Sadly, the same cannot be said for @With The Bands (8)- " Too good to be a b-side – that chorus!!" Yeah, that chorus is the cause of one hundred blown ear drums this year. It's certainly.... something.

@eccentricsimply (7) is also here for that godawful chorus- "The chorus is very fun and I like it a lot, but the verses are so... Underwhelming.". I'm so sad for you right now.

@VivaForever (7) has questions- "This is not something I’ll ever use regularly, but why did it not make the standard tracklist over some of what did? Puzzling." I'm glad you don't make the decisions for them.

@wackseed (7.5) is very close to ending a five year friendship- "Honestly I really prefer the songs that are more upbeat and peppy, rather than the ones that desperately want to be ballads. I like the synth on this one and the mournful chorus and how bouncy it is. " Please stop please stop please stop please stop!!!!!!

Here's @SophiaSophia (9.8) misusing that one word again- 'Brilliant end track."

For some reason, @constantino (7) believes this- "I really like this. It isn’t the best on the album by any means, but it closes the deluxe decently enough. It has quite a sincere vibe to it, which cannot be said about a lot of their early discography." Live your truth? Except don't.

Oh look it's the silent people with their unfortunately not silent votes- @tylerc904 (7), @CorgiCorgiCorgi (9), @Remorque (7), @Txetxu (7), @Lost In Japan. (9.5), @Macsun (7.5), and @Posh Spears (7.5). WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Last word to poor @iheartpoptarts (8). She doesn't realize that her iPod was trying to save her! "The verses are the obvious highlight here. I wish my flop iPod wasn’t missing this one!" I guess Apple sometimes gets it right.

I just want us all to move past this regrettable moment. So please don't watch this lyric video:

Well. It was quite the busy day for Up All Night and Take Me Home. Will the cuts continue? Or will we perhaps lose something from Midnight Memories (please please please please)? Stay tuned xoxo.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  13. 1. #Vivawack unite.
    2. #AsexualHuntiesOfPopjustice unite.

wackseed likes this.
  14. eccentricsimply

I can't believe the majority of MITAM is still alive and you're killing Up All Night!

15. While there are a couple mediocre tracks left on each of the first two albums, the majority of what's left is decent to excellent, so I'm ready to continue the cull of Midnight Mess and whatever new extension of MITAM @ohnostalgia thinks up.

ohnostalgia and VivaForever like this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm glad someone finally noticed. You're my new fave. For now.

17. Why do you think I've been liking all your posts, presh?

(Among other reasons.)

ohnostalgia likes this.
  18. Same Mistakes would have been my 11. I can't see through my tears.

With The Bands and MollieSwift21 like this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Suddenly I'm not so sad you didn't vote. Really???????

Well how am I supposed to know if a shtick is working if you all don't comment on it? LOVE ME LOVE ME.

I actually did some calculations for you all after seeing this!

Up All Night: 33% lost
    Take Me Home: 30% lost
    Midnight Memories: 26% lost
    Four: 12.5% lost
    Made in the A.M.: 39% lost

There is also a new What's Left post.

20. eccentricsimply

What the actual fuck. This is outrageous.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.