I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 56 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. NOOOOOOOO I LUBALUBALUBALUBALIBIA. Why do you all hate fun?

2. Welcome to my world.
    This is a good point.

constantino and iheartpoptarts like this.
  3. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

[​IMG]

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Oh god.

Please don't kill me.

I sense the mob gathering.

[​IMG]

#65. Stand Up [6.194]

High Score: 10 x 2 (@DJHazey, @Up Down Suite)
    Low Score: 2 x 1 (@With The Bands)

My Score: 5

So we lose yet another bonus track from Up All Night. Personally I'm not pressed, but I know a few people who will be. Stand Up was written by Roy Stride and Josh Wilkinson (who wrote for the barf worthy 5 Seconds of Summer) and is yet another missed opportunity in the One Direction discography. This song has all the makings of a hit, but it ultimately falls flat. I can't help but think it's a pacing problem. I feel like the song should go awf but it's in some weird mid-tempo hell instead. The only part that really excites me is the "I'm a thief!" chanting, but even that I would like to see at a faster pace. On a more positive note, the boys' voices are not hidden by awful production this time. Now if they could only pull all the elements together! Is that too much to ask?

@First2Run (6) agrees - "There’s nothing inherently wrong with this song, but I find it utterly boring, despite the fact that it feels like it should be an epic moment." Exactly! I'm so mad at them.

@Animalia (4) is also not a fan- "Why did their legal team go to so much effort to make this mediocre mess impossible to find in HQ on youtube?"

@A$AP Robbie (3) tells it like it is- "Sounds exactly like someone trying to write a big song for One Direction, and failing."

@sexercise (
    9) is ironically bopping, I think- "Messy/amazing bop."

@eccentricsimply (
    7.5) is joining him- "Fun, fun, fun song. I don't have much to say about it. The lyrics as per are dumb, but you know."

@Posh Spears (7) lectures- "I hope everyone knows that ‘It hurts me to think that you’ve ever cried’ is not an acceptable lyric.

@Up Down Suite (
    10) needs to stay far away from important decisions- "Would’ve made a stunning single. Feels like their first baby steps to that arena pop rock they did later on. Album track worthy, not just a bonus."

Let me add @DJHazey (10) to that list- "The classic and simple dance beat that drives the chorus is a head-turner for me, as it keeps escalating to heights unknown. I would've loved to see more bangers like this on the main album instead of being rendered to bonus-track material because this could've been a great single in my estimation."

This is your only complaint, @tylerc904 (9.5)????? - "Always irked me that this follows Stole My Heart on the tracklist, being a bit too similar lyrically (literally saying "stole my heart" in the song), but I love the song. IMMA THIEF IMMA THIEF."

@VivaForever (7.5)
    was also confused by them basically reusing lyrics in the same album- "I realize this is the same style of song as the Taken—Save You Tonight run, but the production is a lot better, so it sounds much fresher. Definitely easier to listen to! In other news, the ‘you stole my heart’ line had me panicking thinking my songs were mislabeled!"

@Lost In Japan. (
    8.5) continues their [redacted] insulting, so I'll give them a break- "Niall and Louis flatter-than-a-pancake verse is the one low point of the song. Really this is all about two things: (a) THAT MIDDLE 8, yes Zayn yes! and (b) the chanty I’m a thief bit."

@constantino (
    8) won't be a villain today! "OH OH OH-OH OHH!! Not their best but it’s not bad by any means. The ‘I’m a thief’ bit is fucking incredible."

Here I present a study in contrasts. @SophiaSophia (9.5)- "Fantastic once again." and @Sprockrooster (4)- "Bored as hell listening to this."

Last word to @wackseed (5), who gives out important life advice- "So I guess this is one of the extras? It's pretty extra~ The punny lyrics simultaneously delight me and make me wince. Also it's giving me the distinct impression that the singer has turned to a life of crime to please his girlfriend which, please don't do that, children."

While I run as fast as I can, please give me a headstart by watching this live performance.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  5. I like 5 Seconds of Summer!

Poor bonus tracks...

6. I'M A THIEF I'M A THIEF YOU CAN CALL ME A THIEF
    Still amazing, but I guess I've had my share of 0s so it's only fair one of my 10s takes the piss.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'll be praying for you.

8. eccentricsimply

9. I knew I would lose my 10s for these bonus tracks early on. I'm pretty happy they got as far as they did to be honest!

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  10. Okay so Stand Up and Magic are BOPS, out far too soon. How the fuck did dreary shit like Same Mistakes and Once in a Lifetime even get that far? And A.M./Love You Goodbye remain?!!!!!!!

Lastly, I thought I Should Have Kiss You was written by Ina Wroldsen and Steve Robson? Where did the RedOne stuff come from?

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Well that's odd, because both are showing up on various websites.

12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

OH THANK THE LORD.

I wanted to eliminate this like twenty songs ago but you all are a mess.

A FUCKING MESS.

I cannot believe this isn't mocked endlessly.

Be ready for judgement day!

[​IMG]

#64. Love You Goodbye [6.211]

High Score: 10 x 3 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi, @thefaceofyou, @Up Down Suite)

Low Score: 0 x 1 (@Petty Mayonnaise)
    FLAWLESSSSSSSSS.

My Score: 3

HALLELUJAH LOUIS' MAN PAIN DIRGE IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm quite ashamed to have run a rate where this song came in 64th place, what on earth are you all doing with your lives?????????? Please keep it far far away from me. I have enough troubles right now without taking on your sins. Love You Goodbye is the 11th track from Meager Insulting Tracks of Absolute Misery. Cowritten with John and Julian, Louis' mentioned several times this is a very special track in his songwriting oeuvre. It's fairly obvious this song is about his ex-girlfriend Eleanor Calder, who Louis broke up with in 2015. Poor Eleanor- first she dates Louis for several years, then she gets this tragic sendoff. It's just so boring and angsty in the worst man-painy ways. I don't fucking care about Louis' feelings, I'm (not) sorry to say. That bridge and "high note" are completely embarrassing and have no business being in the One Direction discography. This track deeply offends me and if I'd known how much it would get incorrectly propped up, I'd have zeroed it.

LOOK! Not even @Sprockrooster (4) stans this- "I love myself some Louis, but his songwriting skills are horrible on this." NOT EVEN THE TRAGIC LOUIS STAN LIKES THIS. I just can't with you people today.

@Up Down Suite (10) is about ready to get banned from this thread, teeb- " This song is so pretty." There's nothing pretty about Louis Tomlinson, sweetheart.

@sexercise (7.8) mentions a phrase that terrifies me deep to the core- "Sounds like an 80s rock ballad. I grew up around that shit so I don’t hate this." I think you need to sue your parents for brainwashing you into loving 80s rock ballads. I would.

I'm going to remember this when @iheartpoptarts (7.5) stomps all over Four- "One of their better ballads, which is surprising given the apparent lack of quality control here…" This is your final warning.

@CorgiCorgiCorgi (10) wants to ensure One Direction will never return I guess, "This should’ve been their send-off single!"

As someone who just listened to a high number of OneRepublic songs for a rate, @eccentricsimply (6) is giving One Direction too much credit- "I didn't know I was listening to a One Republic album" I hated those OneRepublic songs, but they shit over Love You Goodbye teeb.

@Furball (9) appears to be a Tedder stan, but thankfully not a [redacted] one- "The strings remind me of Ryan Tedder's work, makes the production sound more polished. A beautiful song, but giving the high note to Louis was a waste of time."

@VivaForever (4.5) is confused- "What the FUCK does “let me love you goodbye” mean?" .... it means sex. I hope you brought the brain bleach!

@First2Run (7) is turning down Louis' offer but they still need to turn down their score- "The concept of this song actually really creepy. If I’m leaving you’re getting a hug at most…"

A few of you tried to find alternate meanings, I assume to save yourselves from the mental images I just put in our heads.

@wackseed (7.5)- "See, if THIS song is about Zayn too, it brings up a whole other world of possibilities. Why ARE you wearing that to walk out of their lives, Zayn? " Okay, Zayn deserves a much better send off song than this.

@thefaceofyou (10)- "This has reduced me to tears on several occasions. Probably due to the fact that this feels like the most “permanent split” track on the album" Tears of frustration, yes I agree!

Other people sending me into fits of frustrated tears include @tylerc904 (7), @GhettoPrincess (7), @Remorque (7), @Txetxu (7), @MarkB (7), @Reboot (8.5), @Posh Spears (8), @Animalia (7), and @Xanthippe (9). Please never talk to me again.

@DJHazey (5) brings up another one of their godforsaken dirges, "This is pretty comparable to "If I Could Fly", but it ultimately falls a little bit short." They both suck.

@constantino (1) is back in my good books- "Ew. No. I only use and abuse 1D for basic bops, so I have no time nor patience to sit through their piano ballads, especially when there is not enough depth to sustain be. Thankfully, Zayn’s BeFour came on autoplay after and my mood was salvaged."

Last word to @SophiaSophia (4) who has all the right priorities here- "So the beigefest continues.. LOUIS AGAIN STAHP I DON'T NEED YOUR HORRIBLE ATTEMPTS AT HOLDING A LONG NOTE."

Party at my place for all the correct voters in this rate. @Petty Mayonnaise is guest of honour! The rest of you can watch this horrible live performance.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  13. Get the fuck out this song is actually really nice. I can't with y'all.

14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

It's complete trash.

constantino likes this.
  15. Is anyone surprised I'm here for this over so many of their other ballads? It's less acoustic and more boyband!

16. eccentricsimply

FINALLY MITAM IS GOING GOOD RIDDANCE

17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

It felt so good to eliminate that one. So good.

18. It's one of the few bright spots on a really forgettable album!

iheartpoptarts and Up Down Suite like this.
  19. On the bright side, at least I can get on board with this...

ohnostalgia likes this.
  20. My own commentary being mocked?? In the PJ 1D rate?? More likely than you think.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.