I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 61 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

NO.

2. You're not going to sway her on Girls Aloud when she once said listening to "Untouchable" felt like a six month experience. So just give up...

Lost In Japan. likes this.
  3. I feel like Girls Aloud are practically required Popjustice listening or something. Don't worry, @ohnostalgia, you'll learn!

VivaForever, DJHazey and A$AP Robbie like this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm good thanks.

5. Girls Aloud are amazing, and the invoking of WLH in History did annoy intensely for a bit. Even tho WLH is far from my fave GA single.

Island, Lost In Japan. and DJHazey like this.
  6. Not this thread turning into a Girls Aloud discussion thread!

7. ...We're going to get in trouble, aren't we?

But seriously, @ohnostalgia, it's all good! PJ needs more people who heart boybands for a change!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  8. I would love to listen to Untouchable for six months!

Remorque, tylerc, Island and 2 others like this.
  9. That would be a blessed life.

Remorque and Island like this.
  10. Untouchable (album version) does feel like it's six months long though.
    Reported!

11. To be fair, their singles collection is ridiculous in how good it is

Remorque and Island like this.
  12. A six month vacation.

Remorque, Island and Sprockrooster like this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

PLEASE STOP.

Pretty please?

VivaForever likes this.
  14. Incredible.

Remorque likes this.
  15. Has Fireproof won this yet?

16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

You're missing out if you're not reading my write ups. Embrace the journey!

17. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

#Justice4Wolves

Kill History. Terrible song.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  18. Wait, is that wolf song still here?!

19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I've been lowkey sad all day.

Do you want to know why?

It's because I knew I was coming home to eliminate a track you all did wrong.

I knew it was going to happen, but it doesn't make the cut sting less.

Please don't make me do this-​

[​IMG]

#60. Fool's Gold [6.278]

High Score:
    10 x 4 (@Macsun, @Petty Mayonnaise @Reboot, @Xanthippe)
    Low Score: 0 x 1 (@Mr. Right)

My Score: 8.5

Really y'all? This is going before the middling tracks left from Midnight Memories? I just feel so sad right now. Fool's Gold has always been a beautiful, underappreciated track, one you really need to spend time with. I'm sad to see it leave us now. I hope some of you with average scores will give this more spins in the future so you can realize it's potential. I've always maintained that Four is their best album, and tracks like Fool's Gold prove my point. Midnight Memories was their weird transition album and Made in the A.M. was a push too far into MOR, but Four is the perfect balance. It channels the 70s singer songwriter aesthetic perfectly. Fool's Gold was written by the whole band with John, Julian and Maureen McDonald, but at heart it's always been acknowledged as a Harry track. Whenever people make jokes about Harry's future solo career I hold onto tracks like these as proof that he can toe the line between a mature adult contemporary sound and the more cliche cheesefests that unfortunately make up a good chunk of his songwriting. I really just think he needs time to grow and a chance to work with new collaborators. But I digress.

I'm sure some of you are asking why on earth does @ohnostalgia love this "boring" track? It's pretty simple- a combination of evocative lyrics and beautiful vocals. As we are all well aware, One Direction are not exactly known for their lyrics. But I've been in love with the line "But I know in my heart you're not a constant star" since I heard it a year and a half ago. It's just everything to me. Beautiful. Speaking of beauty, four of the five boys sound amazing here. Four is the album where Niall really steps up and pulls his weight and it never goes unnoticed by me. Meanwhile, Harry is understated and lovely, Liam's higher register soars, and Zayn amazes me again on the bridge.

I'm just really sad.

Hi @eccentricsimply (7.5), what did you think? "It's an achy, sad song, with sad lyrics and a good vibe to it. A bit boring if anything." I'm just going to ignore the second sentence for my own sanity.

@SophiaSophia (4) also uses the "b" word- "A bit boring but Zayn is bae but we all know that anyway." Heavy Sigh.

Didn't you give really good scores to all the MITAM ballads, what's with this @First2Run (6)- "Cute metaphor, boring track."

Not even Four convert @constantino (5) is giving this love, sob- "Nice, but dull. This is essentially Niall in a song. Perhaps that’s a little harsh, but it could be worse, I could have called him Little Things, but that one has Louis written all over it…"

@VivaForever (5) brings up Celine for some unknown reason- "This is no It’s All Coming Back to (SIay) Me Now, but it’s an attempt, and that pleases me."

@DJHazey (6) at least liked it more than some of you - "I like the idea of behind this song much more then the execution of it: Looking back on a relationship with a heartbreaker and not regretting one minute. Either the positives out-weighed the negatives or seeing it as a lesson and appreciating it for that."

I recommend that @sexercise (6) give this more spins- "Decent enough I guess but I instantly forgot what it sounded like when it was done." It might surprise you.

@wackseed (6.5) resents a certain actor- "I hate this song for reminding me of that Matthew McNoogies movie, but I like it because they let Harry sing the chorus all by himself again"

@Posh Spears (7.5) is not completely sold- "It has a sweet concept but it’s not as effective as I wish it were."

@Furball (8) gets it right- "lyrically probably one of the best songs they have."

I would have loved to hear from some of our high scorers, but alas I was left alone to post Fool's Gold obituary. Please post some love in the comments so I don't feel so alone.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.