I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 62 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. You can all fuck all the way off.

DJHazey and ohnostalgia like this.
  2. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Indeed, Canada.

3. Aww! Well, another Four track had to go eventually.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  4. Island

Island Staff Member

I agree. I hate that song. Kimba's vocals give me night terrors.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. Island

Island Staff Member

It's not like you tried...

6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I did actually! I've heard several of their tracks and I only liked Biology.

Island likes this.
  7. God I hate Matthew McNorgles so much. Harry does sound a+ so if his solo album is anything like this...

ohnostalgia likes this.
  8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I wish I could say I've returned to knock out something I hate.

Alas.

Life does not work that way.

While you all ignored my beautiful tribute to Fool's Good, I doubt you'll ignore this.

[​IMG]

#59. Gotta Be You [6.300]

High Score: 10 x 3 (@iheartpoptarts, @Posh Spears, @Up Down Suite)

Low Score: 2 x 2 (@eccentricsimply, @MollieSwift21)

My Score: 7

Well. This is awkward. See what happens when you give Fool's Gold a 2 @iheartpoptarts? I wish I could rejoice in this karmic schadenfreude, but yet another track is going too soon tonight. Released as the second single from the boy's debut Up All Night, Gotta Be You was written by August Rico and Steve Mac. Steve Mac is a veteran songwriter in the UK, having worked with many famous British girl and boy bands. August Rico.... wrote for Justin Bieber before his comeback. Poor them. Gotta Be You reached #1 on the UK Singles chart and placed #24 in the US Bubbling Under chart, which was fairly impressive at the time.

Gotta Be You is one of the rare times that One Direction succeeds at the quintessential cheesy boyband song! Sure the "what a mess I made upon your innocence" line is awful for more than one reason, but it's almost so bad it's good territory? Where Gotta Be You really takes off for me is the high notes during the gotta be youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu part. Yes, belt your misery sad children! Sing for your supper! Add some strings for maximum sadness! CRY! Shoot a tragic music video! CRY! CRY! CRY! CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Who's immune to the sad children? Let's see......

You can direct your pitchforks towards @eccentricsimply (2)- "Just. No. Everything is so tragic.... Just, no."

You may have to travel an ocean of tears, but I believe you can catch @Lost In Japan. (5)- "“I’m the foolish one that you anointed with your heart” is a top level shitty lyric, and it just makes me think of that annoying kid from Buffy."

Don't forget the silent betrayal! @GhettoPrincess (4), @Mr. Right (4.5), @MollieSwift21 (2), @With The Bands (3), @MarkB (4), @Subwaykid (4), @Rasterax (3), @Fever (5), and @Daniel! (5). I'm not protecting them.

Next up- some middling scorers who are shady apes!

Do you want to avenge sad sad Liam? Have at @constantino (6)- "GOD Liam’s vocals are shit. I have no idea why he’s always being referred to as the best vocalist in the group; he just has that bland, housewife-appeasing tone that I despise. The ooos are the only good thing about this."

Honestly, I have no idea what you were expecting from the debut of an X-Factor boyband @A$AP Robbie (6)- "Basically not what I was looking for from 1D at the time, and time has made me indifferent "

This sacrilege regarding the high notes will not be tolerated @Animalia (6.5)- "Meh, one of their most forgettable singles. I've always found those high notes a bit cringey, too."

@DJHazey (6) does not believe their sad crying- "Ends up being an non-apology anthem because despite pointing out all of their indiscretions they never actually fully apologize for them and instead look towards future love. The "Bittersweet Symphony" composition is an interesting choice and help their voices soar; probably helping the listener forget about their bad behavior in the process."

Oh @First2Run (6.5)- "The instrumental is nice and the song flows pretty well, but it gets pretty old by the end."

@wackseed (6) absolutely destroys the video- "This video is so silly. Why are they all so sad? Because they didn't get into the elite kindergarten for infant babies? Seriously, I can't get over how little they are. Is Lewis even old enough to drive that car? Also literally lmao at how Niall and Lewis never get solos. This is inoffensive enough, though Zayn on the bridge is the best part, again. "

What about those of you who liked it? Well @VivaForever (7) still hasn't learned that an X-Factor's losers rate is probably not the best place to gauge general One Direction taste- "It’s more than a little basic, and I’m surprised it’s a fan favorite (judging by the response in my X Factor rate anyway), but it is really lovely."

@sexercise (8) is definitely not lactose intolerant- "This is a saccharine mess but I love it with every fiber of my being. Poor that."

This kinda seems like Fool's Gold karma again, @SophiaSophia (8.8)- "This will always be their best second single."

@Posh Spears (10) only has one complaint- "Why do two versions of this song exist? It’s so pointless. But it's an amazing song."

But @Up Down Suite (10) disagrees- "Now I really enjoy this one, the US mix with that extra oomph always gives me a glorious feeling." whatisthetruth.gif?

Oh how the mighty fall @iheartpoptarts (10)- "My fave 1D ballad, unpopular or not. The “can we fall one more time” bit has it. I wish they did more like this and less of the acoustic guitar ones!"

Cue hysterical laughter! If you would like to watch some very sad children sing very sadly, here you go:

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    DJHazey, Subwaykid, Txetxu and 3 others like this.
  9. I was trying to be quiet and respectful for once!

I guess I'll go be sad now, too!

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm sorry they made a mess upon your innocence.

11. IS this some joke? Who are you people!

iheartpoptarts and ohnostalgia like this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Aren't you glad I gave you a nice little list of people to go after? Nobody hides in this rate.

13. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Gotta Be You is by far the worst track on Up All Night. No clue how it got chosen as the second single. The gotta be youuuuu part it's terrible as are the lyrics.

This is the definitive Gotta Be You

tylerc, Island and iheartpoptarts like this.
  14. No woman in the world deserves this!

(Kidding, guys, I'm fine.)

P.S. The Backstreet Boys one is amazing.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  15. Island

Island Staff Member

We agree on that and the dreadfulness of 'Whole Lotta History'. Kimberley's vocals make me shudder some times. She's literally the Jenny Frost of GA.

I hope 'Story of My Life' or 'Night Changes' wins. Those are some genuinely good songs.

Petty Mayonnaise and ohnostalgia like this.
  16. Island

Island Staff Member

Poor Sugababes!

Remorque and ohnostalgia like this.
  17. I am glad. Good luck to them!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  18. I thought I was hiding until exactly one elimination later! Amazing.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  19. But am I the only one actually surprised? I didn't know how people on here viewed the song but I was just totally not expecting to see Gotta Be You in that elimination graphic.

iheartpoptarts and ohnostalgia like this.
  20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I was surprised! But you all are tricky tricky disagreeable voters. We don't even hit a 7.00 average until #36!

Deleted member 21339 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.