I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 64 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. I don't read the writeups in any of the rates I've been a part of/follow. Mainly because I'm lazy, but also because I don't want other people's commentary to colour how I feel about certain songs that I care about. It's not personal, and I really do think you're doing a great job. I hope my comment didn't offend you.

Anyway, the main reason I said 'Has Fireproof won yet' is because I was getting a little frustrated about the constant Girls Aloud posts!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

It's all good, I didn't have that additional context to your comment.

Can we just have one thread where we don't have to talk about them? Is that too much to ask?

3. Yup, even Hilary only had 42.

---

@Lost In Japan. -- Don't think I didn't clock that "annoying kid from Buffy" shade towards Queen Dawn.

4. I cannot even tell you how wrong you are right now, but I suppose that's beside the point.

But speaking of the Sugababes:

Actually the One Direction one is better. Kii.

Remorque and Up Down Suite like this.
  5. I would never! Queen Dawn rules my life. I was meaning "foolish one that you anointed" / the Anointed One.
    [​IMG]

DJHazey likes this.
  6. Yes, that evil child. I was one of the few stanning for Dawn in the Buffy rate.

7. Fine with those two leaving!

8. I'm enjoying the write-ups a lot, if that helps?

9. The write-ups are the best part teebs, like the passionate hatred/love @ohnostalgia has for every song is awe-inspiring.

10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Yes it does help. Love you lots.

11. I always appreciate it when a rate host goes the extra mile without a doubt I'll be looking forward to future rates from @ohnostalgia.

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  12. Messy elims, damn I should've revoted

13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Hello everybody!

Thank you for the validation!

Truly appreciated!

You've helped me make it

[​IMG]

#58. Through The Dark [6.336]

High Score: 10 x 1 (@Up Down Suite)

Low Score: 1x1 (@iheartpoptarts)

My Score: 7

Say hello to @iheartpoptarts 2: The Revenging. Fresh off the loss of her favourite ballad, our traditional boyband avenger fells the folk-rock inspired Through The Dark. The eleventh song from Midnight Memories, Through The Dark is another Louis/Liam cowrite, this time with frequent collaborator Jamie Scott. Somehow Toby Smith of ..... Jamiroquai fame also got involved? It's quite possible that Wikipedia is confusing people again; I can't be bothered to investigate. I like Through the Dark but it's not a song that I absolutely need to play on a regular basis. It's better than a whole hell of a lot on Midnight Memories and I love how it foreshadows much of Four. At the same time it's not very..... energizing (despite having a stompy section). I think it's good when you're in a very angsty mood and need to cheer up, but that's about it. Also, can I just get this out of the way because it irritated me when reading your comments. Folk music does not equal country. Certainly they are related, but they are not the same thing. Let me say it again: FOLK MUSIC DOES NOT EQUAL COUNTRY. FOLK IS NOT COUNTRY. If you're going to hate on something at least bother to get the genre right. Do better.

Before we begin I would like to pay tribute to the greatest thing to happen during Through The Dark:

TIMBERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what did you lot think about this one? Did you know @constantino (2), my dad grew up on a farm?- "This is so dull and forgettable I managed to completely forget it was playing and go straight to Something Great without realizing. My score is therefore extra harsh because I had to go back and play it again. What a load of shite, farmland shite, at that." Watch yourself.

@iheartpoptarts (1)- "A textbook example of the sort of production I don’t want to hear anymore, ever." K.

I doubt @A$AP Robbie (5) has heard a country song in his entire life- "intolerence toward that country-y guitar" Mess.

Here's a reference I didn't expect to see in this rate- @Animalia (6)- "Yas Brit get that Scream & Shout promo. I can't help but compare the two, and obviously this doesn't come out too well." But does One Direction's primary audience even know who Britney is? Discuss!

@Sprockrooster came for the indecipherable metaphors, not these straightforward ones! - "Story Of My Life 2.0 (but worse)." I have no idea where you're hearing this, did you perhaps shut off this song halfway through?

@eccentricsimply (7.5) continues her Canadian appropriation- "Eh. It's okay," while @sexercise (6) deems this- "Acceptable."

I wonder if @wackseed (5) will remember this now? "I honestly have no memory of this song's existence. It's nice, I guess? It's got some nice lyrics and a pretty chorus." What about @First2Run (7)?- "This song is nice but incredibly forgettable."

@DJHazey (5) finally hits on an apt comparison- "Instead of classic rock, we’re treading back into ’Mumford & Sons’ territory with this one. Their vocals are decent on the chorus, but the verses are just so damn boring."

@SophiaSophia (8) also catches everyone's favourite Grammy stealers in this song- "1D take on Mumford and Sons again not much to it really."

I received only one completely positive comment but it's not very informative. Please elaborate @Up Down Suite (10)- "Also a highlight from Midnight in my book." Preferably in a meltdown.

Here's a link to their SNL performance. Because nothing screams showstopper like this!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  14. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Finish them!

I really love the mumford and sons sound but I can't handle their lead singers voice so I've liked when acts take that sound with sweeter vocals.

CorgiCorgiCorgi and ohnostalgia like this.
  15. Woo! I think this is the last song in the rate that I truly don't remember without having to go and play it.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Always glad to represent Bumpkin Justice. I bought the first Mumford and Sons album when I was a young and impressionable early twentysomething but I honestly only use Little Lion Man these days. I'm more interested in women channeling the folk rock sound now!

17. Yeah 1D attempting to be Mumford and sons results in a dismally subpar sound.

I could watch Harry fall down all day though.

iheartpoptarts and ohnostalgia like this.
  18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm getting whiplash.

Is this war?

Discontent? Strife?

On my PopJustice?

[​IMG]

#57. I Wish [6.361]

High Score: 9 x 1 (@First2Run)

Low Score: 2 x 2 (@Fever, @With The Bands)

My Score: 7

And it's another loss for General @iheartpoptarts! I'm sorry dear, I think most people didn't care about this one enough to move it into the Top Fifty. Lots of scores in the 5-7 range, including myself. The sixth track from Up All Night, I Wish is another song from the Swedish team of Yacoub, Falk, and Kotecha. I find myself asking why they've given us another perfectly pleasant midtempo instead of the true genius I'm sure they could produce? Was Simon Cowell too cheap to get the A material? This isn't bad by any means and I do appreciate how it's one of the less artificially produced songs, but ultimately I think it's missing something to be a true classic. I really love the back and forth guitar line but the chorus is a bit of a letdown. The clear highlight is the outro when Zayn and Harry alternate lines. Look, I'm just being a transparent Zarry fan here.

On to my dear voters! @Lost In Japan. (8) makes us all uncomfortable- "Demolish me with your vocal, Harry."

@wackseed (4.5) must be out of fucks at this point- "“I watch your eyes and I'm in riddles” what the FUCK. Anyways, this is all right. I like the melodrama and woefulness in the chorus, cause I'm always a sucker for drawn-out harmonies. "

@DJHazey (7) has some ideas about the One Direction fandom, "This song definitely plays it safe, with a more restrained delivery where they could've gone all out. The opening bit leads you into a Pink-esque mid-tempo. The universally relatable "Whenever you kiss him..." are the probably the kind that make their fans smile, but I'm finding there's something missing."

@First2Run (9) stabs us Harry stans- "THIS is how you make a chorus soar with average vocals."

@constantino (8) is a fan of riddled eyes- "The vocals melody is actually one of the best on Up All Night…the lyrics are also quite good by their [sizable songwriting team’s] standards."

@A$AP Robbie (5) says something- "It sounds like a pure pop album track, which obviously it is. "

@Animalia (8.5) is ready to sullenly stare out a rainy window- "Give me that melancholy bop that I love, boys." @SophiaSophia (7) may or may not join- "This would be a song that would get skipped on occasion it's good but I'd have to be in the right mood to play it."

While @VivaForever (5) "Unremarkable though inoffensive" and @sexercise (5.5)- "Yeah they can keep this. Not offensive but blah," look for outrage elsewhere.

@Up Down Suite (6.5) is a fan of lackluster choruses- " I like the chorus, very catchy."

Sometimes I don't understand your definition of a bop @iheartpoptarts (8.5)- "It might not hit as hard as the other bops, but the melodies are very much there."

Last word to @eccentricsimply (8.5) who would like your attention- "It's really good and the live version made it even better."

I'm guessing she's referring to this, but if I got it wrong please let me know Brazil!

Well it's been fun. Please don't leave me.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  19. NO. NO. NO.

20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

People who don't vote have no right to complain!

Sprockrooster likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.