I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 68 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Harold cut the absurd locks?? Well there goes any hope of productivity today, I'm gonna be wondering all day why and what it looks like.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

The work week from hell is over. Let me gather some energy before I begin writing my essay on the next song.

3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I got enemies.

[​IMG]

Got a lotta enemies.

[​IMG]

Got a lotta people trying to drain me of my energy.

[​IMG]

#55. One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks) [6.486]

High: 10 x 5 (@ohnostalgia @Posh Spears @Sprockrooster @tylerc904 @wackseed)

Low: 0 x 3 (@constantino @Petty Mayonnaise @SophiaSophia)

W
    T
    F

I'm seething right now. I've been grinding my teeth while working on this elimination. This is a complete joke. It's stupidity. It's a tragedy. It's allowed me to see who my true enemies are- and I don't like it. There are absolutely zero excuses for this not making the Top 50 and I will dismantle them all because this is disgusting. I can't stop shaking my head. I'm praying for you. I'm worried. I'm concerned. I'm confused. I'm afraid. I'm just trying to make it through this world and you've all ruined it. Are you there god? It's me, @ohnostalgia.

One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks) was a charity single released for Red Nose Day 2013. A mashup of Blondie's One Way or Another and The Undertone's Teenage Kicks, it went #1 on the UK Singles Chart. This is an AMAZING mashup. I've heard me about a thousand mashups and this works on so many levels. If I could relieve the moment I first heard the transition from One Way to Teenage Kicks, I would in a heartbeat.

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
    I WANNA HOLD YOU I WANNA HOLD YOU TIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Pure pop bliss. If you gave this a low score on principle I'm not sure you belong on PopJustice. When someone covers a song it is not ruined. The original still exists. You can listen to that and get on your merry way. There is no artist that is too sacred to be covered. That is just the antithesis of PopJustice. It's very rockist perspective and that makes me sad. It doesn't matter if it's a boyband instead of a pop girl- the same damn principles apply. Especially for effing Blondie who've licensed this song so many times they even have a separate Glee mashup. Give me a break.

Hello @constantino (0)- Blasphemy! This is BLASPHEMY I TELL YOU!! Blondie are one of my mum’s favourite bands so I feel like it would be disrespectful to both Debbie Harry and my mother if I gave this any more than a zero.

[​IMG]

@SophiaSophia (0)- There is only one cover of One Way Or Another that's good that's by Sophie Ellis-Bextor at least she knows not to mess with Blondie.

[​IMG]
    I must have missed that top secret operation where the boys travelled back in time and erased all of Blondie's recordings from history.

Beast @Petty Mayonnaise (0)!

[​IMG]

Not with some of the crap you stan! @DJHazey (3)- Lame, cheesy, etc.

[​IMG]
    NOT TODAY SATAN.

@A$AP Robbie (3)- Utter car-crash, and shows that just taking a good song isn't the secret to doing a good cover.

[​IMG]

@VivaForever (4.5)- You know, I like mashups, and I like Blondie covers (Mandy Moore yaaas Tracey Ullman yaaas Billie Piper yaaas Atomic Kitten yaaaaaaaasss). But this is just not good. I have a lot of things I could say about the video but let me not.

[​IMG]
    Amazing music video that hearkens back to the X-Factor video diaries. Educate yourself.

@CorgiCorgiCorgi (4), @Subwaykid (4), @Fever (4.5), @With The Bands (4), @thefaceofyou (5)!

[​IMG]

While they gave a high score, their comment is horrible. So @Up Down Suite (7)- It’s good for a single and I try to be objective, but I just can’t give it an 8 or a 9. It sort of makes me cringe. A 7 will do.

[​IMG]

PLEASE HOLD ME AMAZING VOTERS.

@eccentricsimply (8)- A really good cover. Their live performances of this were always really good, especially the Brit Awards one.

[​IMG]

@iheartpoptarts (8.5)- Fun. I’m not normally here for covers, but this one was a good call!

[​IMG]

@First2Run (8.5) I actually love every component of the song, and the boys sound great, but it is absolutely all over the place.

[​IMG]

@sexercise (9)! This really should not work but I love this. This & Little Mix’s Word Up are probably the only charity single cover songs that I’ll ever like.

[​IMG]

I would have died @Lost In Japan. (9)! I have to give this a high score because it reminds me of February/March of my first year of uni, which was peak One Direction standing time. Four of us raced out to a club at about ten minutes notice one night because we heard Harry Styles was there, and we saw him and they played this as one of the final songs of the night and me and my friend lost our shit.

[​IMG]

@tylerc904 (10), @Remorque (8.5), @Txetxu (8), @Sprockrooster (10), @MarkB (8), @Furball (8), @Posh Spears (10), @Xanthippe (7.5)!

[​IMG]

Final word to @wackseed (10)- Normally I'm not a fan of covers but this is a) so bouncy and fun and catchy, b) close enough to the original but with a distinct twist of 1D's own c) accompanied by the most endearing music video EVER.

[​IMG]

To pay my respects to this catastrophic elimination, this will be the sole one tonight.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  4. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

YOU HAVE MANAGED TO KILL ME WITH THEM DRAKE MEMES. PEACE I'M OUT I CAN'T EVEN BE MAD AT THIS TRAGEDY.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. Sorry, but it really sucks.

constantino and VivaForever like this.
  6. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Sucks the sadness out of me and replaces it with nothing but optimism and good pop vibes? Indeed, it does.

wackseed and ohnostalgia like this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Get ears.

Also I spent ten minutes trying to cut that down to fit 10000 characters and then it magically posts when I refresh. So I added a few things back, mostly little comments to the voters.

8. Yessssssss! It's not my fault for once!

(But noooooooo.)

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. WHAT

ohnostalgia likes this.
  10. Dead.
    Oh dear, #Vivawack may be in for some trouble...

(I love covers and hate Popjustice for hating them.)

As to this particular cover ... well, at least it wasn't the fucking Melissa Joan Hart version.

wackseed likes this.
  11. It's really so sad that so many people in this rate have had their hearing irrevocably damaged and therefore don't know art and beauty and happiness when they hear it.

Losing my shit at the Drake meme's though.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

R I G HT?

[​IMG]

I plan to express myself solely via Drake until I can calm down.

13. This monstrosity should have left at the start sorry not sorry.

14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

[​IMG]

Try again.

wackseed likes this.
  15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I had to cut clocking @wackseed because the post was too long, but um. Girl you watched Glee. You love covers.

VivaForever likes this.
  16. Or maybe I hate covers BECAUSE of Glee. Hmmmmmm??

Stop bringing up the past to drag me, I am an innocent sunbeam who's never done anything wrong in my life.

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  17. Not @ohnostalgia going off the deep-end like I would for some Kiss & Tell album track in a Selegend rate. Get your life. Amazing reveal too.

18. [​IMG]

Petty Mayonnaise and ohnostalgia like this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

If you haven't learned by now that I'm always off the deep end, I don't know what to say.

DJHazey likes this.
  20. Your writeup undid the injustice done by the heathens of this rate, @ohnostalgia! Iconic to say the least.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.