I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 74 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

I love P!nk.

VivaForever likes this.
  2. Never Enough or No Control can go next please.

3. Nobody Compares and Still the One needed to go long ago. Who has wasted their high scores to keep their grating baby Tarzan squeals floating this long?

4. Nobody Compares is my favorite.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. I'd kinda forgot before doing this rate (due to iTunes unticking) how much my love of Take Me Home is at least partially due to the extended edition tracks, I like Nobody Compares and Still The One, more than some of the stuff on the regular album

ohnostalgia likes this.
  6. I definitely wouldn't love the album as much as I do if it weren't for the 'Yearbook Edition' bonus tracks. Four fantastic songs that could have easily replaced Over Again, Little Things, Change My Mind and Summer Love.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. Looks like I found the guilty ones fast enough.

Maybe they've earned their places as bonus tracks if they're loved. Won't stop me silently judging you though.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  8. If Nobody Compares is out before the top like, 30, @ohnostalgia better out anyone who gave it less than a 7.

ohnostalgia and Up Down Suite like this.
  9. I out myself voluntarily.

10. Y****s Wolves better make top 40.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Finally the drama is coming to the thread, keep it going. Not sure how many I can eliminate today since it is Mother's Day and I'll be doing family stuff, but I'll try for at least two.

12. That is Australia.

VivaForever likes this.
  13. What was your score? Also, why do you hate sweet music?

14. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

The entirety of the South Hemisphere is a mess.

VivaForever and Sprockrooster like this.
  15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Oh dear.

I'm going to ruin some days here.

Considering I still have much lower scores from this album I'm slightly appalled that this is what's going next!

I'm just the messenger! Don't murder me!

[​IMG]

#49. I Want [6.611]

High Score: 10 x 4 @First2Run, @Rasterax, @SophiaSophia, @Sprockrooster)

Low Score: 0 x 1 (@Up Down Suite)

My Score: 8

Back in my fledgling fan days, I remember listening to Up All Night in a foggy daze. So many synthesizers! So overproduced! So samey! Just when I was praying for God to save me, a track with PIANOS and GUITARS emerged from the barren EDM-lite wasteland. Suddenly the boys voices were relatively clear and untouched! I could almost weep for joy; HALLELUJAH AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! How did they know what I Want(ed)? Sometimes the music gods work in mysterious ways. I took I Want and never looked back. Several years later, I've grown to appreciate and love a great deal of Up All Night. But I Want will always hold a very special place in my heart. I Want I Want I Want to be bopped by you.

Moving away from the music, let's get to the elephant in the room and the reason why this did not get a 10 from me- The Problematic Lyrics. I want to know why a grown ass man (McFly's Tom Fletcher) is spending his time writing songs shaming women and teenage girls! It's all very well and good to have anti-materialism songs but it's a bit suspect when they only target "silly" things like clothes, shoes, jewellery (all very traditionally female interests). Where are the biting lyrics against men and their material worlds? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm. It's truly unfortunate that One Direction's primarily teenage girl fanbase had to hear and possibly internalize this message. It makes me want to go to London and slap Tom Fletcher around. I would also hurl any insults you all post in the comments at him. Now that I'm in my late twenties there's nothing that angers me more than teenage girl shaming. Probably because I didn't recognize when it was happening to me. I took so many men's opinions as the honest to god truth, especially if they were musicians I admired. I want today's girls to have a better childhood than my generation. We need men to do better.

Since I ended my write up on a negative note, let's start with the negative comments! Anything slagging the music is incorrect, but you know how people insist on being wrong in this rate.

0 giver @Up Down Suite has weird ideas of filler- "This has filler written all over it, although you can tell effort was put into". I'm assuming you're talking about the bizarre effort put into being sexist. Let's go with that.

Poor poor put upon @VivaForever (3). Will someone finally pity her cause I'm not going to- "I want, I want, I want a better song."

I don't think the boys were rich yet, @wackseed (2.5)! "Oh my god, I had no idea 1D had an anti-materialism song! That's hilarious, this song is hilarious, you kids are bajillionaires, just buy your girlfriend a Fendi purse or something." Although the bolded is a nice retort to Tom Fletcher, I might scream that at him!

@iheartpoptarts (2) feels betrayed!!!!! "McFly can deliver amazing songs, but this Tom guy really let me down here…"

This song didn't receive many scores below 6, but here are some of the silent assassins: @Subwaykid (2), @Fever (4), @Daniel! (4), @Petty Mayonnaise (2), and @Xanthippe (5.5). You better hope these low scores are all lyrics related or I'll hunt you all down.

Our final below six scorer @eccentricsimply (5) also clocks the lyrics- "Tom Fletcher's contribution to this album is terrible lyrically but it's a fun song so I can't say much about it." I love how this comment is longer than half of your other commentary though.

Musically, we have some divided opinions on McFly! @Lost In Japan. (6.5) wants less of the Tom- "This is a bit too obvious with the McFly influence."

But @tylerc904 (7) is loving the Tom- "Of their handful of collabs, this one SOUNDS the most McFly. I like it."

I woke up today to a PM from @Macsun (7)! Behold their first commentary contribution, which includes the requisite Louis hatred I crave- "Track is solid enough. Highlights are of course Zayn on the bridge and Liam's lower register. Unfortunately Louis ruins the chorus."

@DJHazey (7) has a poor track record predicting fan reactions, but he clocked the sexism so 1/2? - "This is completely different sound for sure, which probably has something to do with pop-"punk" group McFly having a hand in this. "If I look inside your brain...I would find lots of things" is a bit off-putting but the song is still a fist-pumping jam all the same. This probably isn't the best direction for their sound with things like a Queen-like guitar riff punctuating the chorus. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most fans found this song jarring at first, but with catchy chants like "I want, I want, I want to be loved by you" helped soften the crash landing."

More lyrics clocking from @sexercise (7.5)! "This album is a giant case of messy lyrics. It’s a bop though." That it is, that it is.

@With The Bands (8) is taking it a bit too far with this Louis tolerance. How much did @Sprockrooster pay you? "A bop, even Louis sounds bearable here!"

This song comes alive near the end for @Animalia (8)- "This is a solid "just decent" 7 until the last chorus. Quirky li'l bop."

I've found my other piano stan in @A$AP Robbie (8)- "I love the creeping piano in this. Its weird that Tom Fletcher wasn't a bigger influence on their career actually. "

@constantino (9) brings up that band I don't want to talk about but at least he mentions their good song!- "SCREAM at the opening piano riff! I honestly think they were about to start singing Girls Aloud’s Biology (bawwppp), but alas, they didn’t. In a bizarre and unexpected turn of events, I actually think the verses are better than the chorus, which is still decent. This goes AWF after the second chorus and the guitar riff is fucking great."

@Posh Spears (9) and I are of the same mind- "Would be a 10 if the lyrics were in a language I didn’t understand."

I'll let our tens deliver the final obituaries. @SophiaSophia (10)- "Delivering the Pop goods once again." Yes, this is pure pop. I've seen some strangely narrow definitions of pop music since I've joined this forum. This comment made me smile.

I think @First2Run (10) was also struggling with the electric soundscape- "This song has some really cool melodies, and the crazy guitar is a nice change from the sound of some of the other songs."

I'll let my beloved nemesis @Sprockrooster (10) take us out- "Wait at this discovery! This song gets better and better and I might be bored with in a few months, but now it is my jam and eating me up!" So are you still bopping?

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  16. I am gutted.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  17. I'm not fond of the lyrics especially as it doesn't appeal to me from a gender and sexuality point of view but I love the production in I Want. I probably over scored this I should have given it an 8 really.

CorgiCorgiCorgi and ohnostalgia like this.
  18. I grew up with all kinds of ridiculous boyband lyrics and I loved every moment of it, so I wouldn't worry too much! Somehow I think today's girls are going to be fine!

That said, stupid song is stupid.

VivaForever likes this.
  19. I'm pleasantly surprised that I Want even made it this far, teebs! Though I am beginning to get scared at how few tracks Up All Night has left, I'm happy to see the superior Take Me Home going strong.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Yes, Take Me Home >>>>> Up All Night. It's way more my speed of pop music.

wackseed likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.