I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 75 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. you don't want to take it slow, you just want Take Me Home?

ohnostalgia likes this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

A$AP Robbie likes this.
  3. Just realized that They Don't Know About Us sounds just like NSYNC's It's Gonna Be Me. I've been trying to figure out which song it sounds like since the beginning of this rate! My gosh. I'm sure other people see the resemblance as well, no?

4. I can hear it now you say, but I dunno that I'd ever got there on my own

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. At first listen I knew I'd heard it somewhere.

Also, I rated it about 4-5 points lower than I would rate it now, whoops! I guess that's what happens when a song is a grower but you only listen a few times before submitting a score.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

SHAME! This is why I always give myself at least a week to two weeks to work on a rate.

7. But honestly, I disliked it at first but changed my mind eventually. I dunno, it's tough when literally more than half their discography was new to me in the week that I had to cram scores in!

8. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

It won't be that missed. I Want was the song that got me into One Direction, though, so I will give it that.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

SIGH.

Somehow I always knew this would be done wrong.

Still doesn't make it hurt less.

Shameful.

[​IMG]

#48. Spaces [6.639]

High Score:
    9 x 2 (@ohnostalgia, @sexercise)
    Low Score: 3.5 x 1 (@Mr. Right)

I KNEW I should've given this a 10. It's Act My Age 2.0 where I didn't want to be biased and just throw all the 10s at Four, but look where it's gotten me now? Sitting here on a Sunday evening with a heavy heart, that's what! Bloody hell you all. Do you not feel? Do you not have emotions? Do you not cry? Do you not remember March 25th, 2015? Do you hate me? Wait, I think I know the answer to that one already, don't answer.

Taken in context, Spaces may just be the most emotionally devastating song One Direction released. Written by Louis, Liam, Julian, John, and Jamie for Four, it's an awful awful precursor to what hit us on March 25th, 2015. Nobody knows what was going on with the boys except the boys themselves, but it hits me hard to imagine this being written during that last half year where the distance between Zayn and the others grew and grew and grew until it was too much to overcome. There's also something about the soaring upwards of goodbyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that gets me every damn time. What an amazing moment of juxtaposition they've given us. You know, I freely admit that I project a lot of my own emotions and thoughts onto One Direction; this is just one of those songs for me. I could laugh hysterically over these lyrics or I could weep, it honestly depends on the day!

The spaces between us keep getting deeper

It's harder to reach ya'

Even though I've tried

Spaces between us, hold all our secrets

Leaving us speechless and I don't know why

Who's gonna' be the first to say goodbye?

Spoiler alert: Zayn!

Also before you all come at me, I fully loved this before Zayn left. Him leaving just made it even more emotional for me!

Didn't get a lot of commentary for this, which is a shame. Here's @Up Down Suite (6) to interrupt my emotional monologue- "Sounds like an X Factor’s winner single. In a bad way." ..... X-Factor winners release painful breakup songs? Don't they go for that inspirational I will survive mumbo jumbo?

I really don't think they were going for this vibe @SophiaSophia (7)- "What's with the try hard attempts at stadium rock on this album I want the fun pop rock back." It doesn't seem much like a stadium song to me. It's more of a quiet play this and get sad on your own song.

I think @DJHazey (6) is picking up on the juxtaposition I highlighted earlier- "Kind of blah at first but it gets a little better as it goes along. Captures that moment when you feel like your relationship is falling apart quite nicely. Not often that a breakup song sounds sort of...positive and full of hope."

@First2Run (6.5) is still basking in a different song- "This song is a little too timid for most of its length but it does have redeeming moments that make it shine a bit. It suffers a bit by immediately following the superior Fireproof on the tracklist." If I rated everything compared to Fireproof...... my averages would be a whole hell of a lot lower.

@constantino (7) loves the chorus- "The chorus is the only bit I really like, but then again that’s common with 1D songs, so I shan’t penalize them too much." Look, I'll take it at this point.

Fellow high scorer @sexercise (9) also highlights that amazingness- "That chorus is EVERYTHING. Kings."

Oh that @eccentricsimply (8)! "I'm giving this song an 8 for the irony."

Before we get to our closing comment, please know that I am sending waves of hatred to the following voters: @VivaForever (5.8), @With The Bands (4), @Subwaykid (5), @iheartpoptarts (5), and @Daniel! (5). I'm not too happy with the six scorers either, but I don't have all evening.

There's a reason why @wackseed (8) is my favourite. Or she just internalized all my One Direction feelings over the years and tells me what I want to hear. Either way I'll take it! "This is a very sad-sounding song, and the slowness is sort of nice here towards the middle of the album. I like the different tempo in the verse and chorus and how the style of the song lets Zayn shine a little, which is incredibly depressing in light of the “who's gonna be the first to say goodbye” lyric."

That's all for today. I didn't mean to eliminate five yesterday, so I added the extra one as counting towards today's total instead.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  10. This rate is making me so sad.

11. Yeah, it's one of the saving graces of Shoddy Language!

LET'S MAKE THIS DEMO RIGHT!
    [​IMG]
    I wouldn't expect anything else, sis't.

12. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

The IRONY of that song is just too much I can't take it I can't listen to it without laughing my ass off.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  13. Wait DID YOU JUST REFERENCE MADONNA.

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. SO PROUD.

14. Aww I've grown to really like Spaces! RIP.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

What's happening to me?
    I alternate between the hysterical laughter and the tears. It's a rollercoaster!

VivaForever likes this.
  16. I think the real treasure was @ohnostalgia referencing Madonna along the way~

Also poor Spaces, you got done wrong.

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  17. I'll take it, but it had to be that song.

18. Nooo, I love I Want!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  19. They played the Story of My Life video at assembly this morning and I was getting ~the feels~.

20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

'Lo!

After a week of record breaking heat, it finally rained today!

What does this have to do with the rate?

Nothing.

Or everything?

[​IMG]

#47. Illusion [6.656]

High Score: 10 x 2 (@eccentricsimply, @SophiaSophia)
    Low Score: 3 x 1 (@Up Down Suite) How many songs have you killed now dear?

My Score: 6

This song is a dilemma. One day I'll be listening to this and think it's mediocre at best, the next day I'm getting my life. I gave it a 6 to represent my internal conflict. Fitting then, that Illusion is a co-write from problematic not quite fave Liam! It's pretty widely known within the fandom that this Four bonus track was written by Liam for his now ex-girlfriend Sophia Smith. If you're listening to the lyrics and thinking "THAT'S SO LIAM" not so fast!!!!!! Liam wrote the music; Julian wrote the corny ass lyrics. What a shocker. Musically I think the most interesting parts are the sporadic beats throughout the verses, the guitar on the prechorus, and the echoing outro. For those who don't know, Liam released several Big Payno remixes of One Direction songs throughout the years. I wouldn't be surprised if these touches were his decision. Maybe I just want to see the good in him today, is that a crime?

Let's move on to the sparse commentary this one received. And yes that's a hint for some of you to send me comments if you haven't already!

@wackseed (5.5) brings up an actual Problematic Fave- "I see you trying to copy the opening of Little White Lies, and completely not getting the same effect. This song is...ehhh, all right. The corniness of the lyrics is a little too much for me this time around. "

I guess @DJHazey (5) doesn't want a Big Payno- "I’m really beginning to struggle at this point. Blah, another faceless rock mid-tempo."

@tylerc904 (7.5) on the other hand.... "The most Take Me Home (i.e boptastic) track on the album."

@VivaForever (7.8) has a job for Big Payno! "With a little light remixing, this could (should) be the song that plays at the climax of a romantic comedy movie. An actual good one though, not some Katherine Heigl bullshit."

@constantino (7) slanders Change Your Ticket and I'm furious- "Again, like Change Your Ticket, this is far from amazing, but it’s still fully enjoyable. The chorus is one of the weaker ones on FOUR, but it’s not without its merits; I actually quite like Niall’s bit, shocker."

Isn't is great when the bonus tracks add to the experience? Right @sexercise (7.2)? - "Definitely a deluxe track. A great one at that."

@First2Run (8) employs a pun to try and cover up their strange scoring tactics. "Looks like they have given up the “Magic”. Illusion is a decent song, but it’s remarkably unremarkable. It does get more interesting when it hits the bridge on though." It's not very effective.

@Macsun (8.5) also highlights the amazing outro- "Another solid 'deluxe track'. It's all about the bridge and the outro"

@SophiaSophia (10) calls this "The second best song on the album for sure." UM.

While @eccentricsimply (10) is a bit more realistic in her love- "Super underrated. Probably because the beat on the verses is very annoying, but the chorus! The pre-chorus and chorus are just really good, they make all the difference."

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.