I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 82 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

I like it. This is better for the looking back at the band though

2. I agree!

3. @WhenTheSunGoesDown and I were just talking about this song the other day! Random!

VivaForever likes this.
  4. Amazing!

I once remarked to my other Directioner friend that they should cover Famous.

Queen of questionable judgment.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  5. Will this do?

6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

STOP IT.

MollieSwift21 and VivaForever like this.
  7. No.

8. I honestly tried to think of another song I could embed for that response but I couldn't!

9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

This is not Girls Aloud General Discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be more creative next time.

constantino likes this.
  10. I love Niall but I don't love Don't Forget Where You Belong, so sorry my Irish babes.

11. Awwww.

P.S. @ohnostalgia is this creative/relevant enough for you?

ohnostalgia likes this.
  12. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Neil deserves nothing from me.

VivaForever likes this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

So what unlucky song just misses out on the Top 40!

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE.

If I'd had my way this would've been gone thirty songs ago.

I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

#41. More Than This [6.800]

High Score: 10 x 2 (@sexercise, @tylerc904)
    Low Score: 2 x 1 (@ohnostalgia)!

Whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine. That's about all there is to this "song." More Than This was the fourth single from the boy's debut Up All Night and charted terribly, peaking at #86 on the UK Singles Chart. For once that country said no to garbage, I'm so proud. These lyrics are godawful. Some of the worst I've heard from this band and that is saying something. Tragically, the boys can't rise above the lyrics and every single one of them sounds awful on this. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. Liam: tragic, Zayn: subpar, Harry: let's not talk about it, Niall: horrid, Louis: status quo. Couple this perfect storm with some of the most insipid music I've heard in a long time, and it's all so so so so terrible. Jamie Scott has a lot to answer for in One Direction's discography, but this might be his biggest crime. Well actually the biggest crime is this somehow getting to #41, so let's set some people on the correct path.

Excuse you @tylerc904 (10), Gotta Be You is the one true boyband ballad. This is just a whiny crapfest- "I love this one. Such a shame it wasn't give full single status. It is their only real boyband ballad."

Oh @ this being a death wish @sexercise (10)- "Oh @ this being amazing."

What on earth were you imagining in your head that could be worse than this @Furball (9)?- "Better than I remembered"

Um did you miss the part where the public smartly ignored this @Lost In Japan. (9)? "I get traumatised by the intro every time cause I think it’s going to be ‘The Flood’, but thankfully this is amazing and not awful. It should have been the standard ballad second single instead of Gotta Be You." Whatever, if you like Little Things I'm sure this godawfulness is appealing.

No. It. Is. Not. @SophiaSophia (8.5)- "Their ballads have been a massive turn off for me but this is pretty great."

We've already eliminated much better ballads @Up Down Suite (8)- "One of their best ballads. I don’t like the synths used in the album version, would sound better with just instruments, feels more authentic."

Repent @constantino (8)! "URGH at me liking the chorus; those cheap, over-used 00’s synths always **** me and I don’t know why…the verses are still shit though."

No surprises here with @DJHazey (8)- "The production around the chorus is incredibly dated because those synths guiding it along are very 2010. Though when the melody kind of 'drops off' a bit between lines, I'm here for it. Continuing with the BSB-theme, this would be their "More Than That"."

Are you secretly plotting their destruction via floppage @Xanthippe (8)? "Should have been the 2nd single"

Here's another one with strange ideas of what makes a hit- @With The Bands (7) "Should’ve have been the 2nd single over GBY."

@Animalia (7.5) insults all boybands that came before- "This is serving some old-school boyband realness and I'm kinda living, but it's just a bit forgettable in the end."

Oh wait is this why I hate their last album so much? @A$AP Robbie (7)- "Super early indication of their eventual direction (No surprise on checking that Jamie Scott's first appearance is here) and sounds weirdly like a future 1D single listening to it retrospectively "

Surprise surprise. @First2Run (7)- "This is actually an excellent song, but the vocals are unfortunately not the greatest here." No, it's not actually an excellent song.

There is nothing great to be found in the vocals here @Macsun (8)- "Melancholy Bop. Great vocals performances from most of the boys. Niall gets lot's of flack but his voice can be very charming and chameleon like. Zayn of course kills it in the end with his adlibs. It always gives me chills" LORD'T.

So many people to shame, so little time! @GhettoPrincess (7), @CorgiCorgiCorgi (7), @Sprockrooster (7), @MollieSwift21 (8.8), @MarkB (7), @Reboot (7), @Posh Spears (8).

[​IMG]

Thankfully, there were a few voices of reason.

At least this isn't some glowing hyperbole from @eccentricsimply (6.5)- "In the whole of their ~slow~ songs, this is far from being one of their best, but it's decent."

I agree @iheartpoptarts (5.5)! "Kind of makes me long for Backstreet Boys ballads, not gonna lie!"

@VivaForever (4.5) packs too many references here for me to care- "This kind of shows off their vocal shortcomings too well (un thé de Hilary), and lyrically it’s a combination of Savage Garden’s The Lover After Me and the Dixie Chicks’ I Can Love You Better, but not as good as either. But I like the production, once it properly gets going. OOH, and the opening chords remind me of Faith Hill’s Breathe (a far better song)."

Finally @wackseed (4)- "Pretty sure I wrote the lyrics to this song in middle school, whilst pining and straightening my hair to look more like Avril Lavigne. Yeah, they're about that level, plus there's a Lewis solo, bluh. Still, Zayn and Harry sound good, and Liam is solid." Only the first two sentences are correct but anyways.

HALLELUJAH!

I'll be back with a nice little Top 40 graphic, but otherwise that's all for tonight!

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  14. I namechecked TWO country legends and this is the thanks I get?!

MollieSwift21 likes this.
  15. More Than That > More Than This

I don't know why they had to have so many ballad singles, anyway. They do uptempos way better!

ohnostalgia and MollieSwift21 like this.
  16. I like More Than This but it will never hold a candle to Gotta Be You.. like seriously. And I'm confused as to why so many people think the other way around. Also, Gotta Be You has yet to be eliminated in my imagination!

17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Here you are. Our official Top 40!

[​IMG]

18. Love the graphic and the top 40 is surprisingly on point for the most part?!

19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Considering the year they'd have been better off releasing Stole My Heart.

No kidding! Gotta Be You is miles ahead of That Song.

20. I hate how much I love More Than This.

I was high key hoping that You & I would miss the top 40 but I know it has stans so...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.