I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 83 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Besides that one iconic note from Zayn I don't really care for You & I.

constantino and wackseed like this.
  2. Puppies!!! I love boyband photo shoots.

There have been very few disasters for me in terms of the results so far, but it's hard to tell if things will stay that way for much longer!

wackseed, VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

The puppies were for you! I remember you complaining about the lack of them somewhere. I'm not creepy.

You & I is all about the build up into the final glorious minute. But I'm not pulling for it to make the Top 20 or anything.

4. Yesssssss! I remember this too, but I can't remember when or why!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. I love both Don't Forget Where You Belong and More Than This.

The top 40 looks pretty solid though, so well done everyone.

6. That's the true legacy of this rate teebs.

Also everyone who gave Don't Forget Where You Belong less than a 10 is dead to me. Do you enjoy making innocent Irish golfers weep?

ohnostalgia and VivaForever like this.
  7. Yes! I was literally playing that song while reading this! It's my new obsession.

iheartpoptarts and VivaForever like this.
  8. I find it hard enough to believe that anyone actually LIKES Gotta Be You, but liking it more than More Than This?! I refute it.

9. Rooting for Back For You to go sooner, rather than later.

10. Let's not get carried away.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Believe it.

Deleted member 21339 likes this.
  12. I love both.

13. I get my life to like 90 percent of the top 40, so I'm pleased.

14. Poor More Than This! Never stood a chance really.

I know it's forum standard to drag in the reveals, especially when the host loses a fav, but has there ever been another instance where every single reveal garnered such a strong reaction from a host?! But by all means @ohnostalgia, do you!

15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I just feel very deeply.

tylerc, VivaForever and A$AP Robbie like this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Hello hello!

Are you ready to feel?

Are you ready to be extra?

I think I'm having a crisis!

[​IMG]

#40. Strong [6.806]

High Score: 10 x 4 (@MarkB, @Remorque, @thefaceofyou, @Xanthippe)

Low Score: 3.5 x 1 (@Rasterax)

My Score: 6.5

You know, this is another song I probably underscored. I was trying so hard to be reasonable with my scores, knocking down several tens to nines and eights. As a result I downgraded some songs that I'd probably rate a 7-8 when I'm in in full stan mode. I actually remember talking to my "real life" One Direction friend about liking Strong the week Midnight Memories leaked! Ah foolish @ohnostalgia, what did you do here?

Written by Louis and the three Js, Strong is a nice little midtempo. Lyrically, this is probably one of their best. I like to think of it as a follow up to She's Not Afraid in many ways. Both address all the ways people fear and avoid love, albeit from two opposing musical perspectives. The miracle of this song is that all the boys sound nice! I almost forgot what it was like to listen to a band where you don't actively hate one member's voice. Louis should've taken this as his vocal template and ran with it. Niall also has a nice moment here, which is exciting! I like when those two don't struggle. Maybe I'm still scarred from More Than This' wretched whining, but going from all horrible vocals to lovely ones is giving me life. Oh dear. I foolishly underscored this didn't I? I'm so mad at myself right now!!!!!!!!! To distract my internal monologue, let's see what the rest of you think.

@wackseed (8) should've reminded me of this! "This song sort of sneaks up on you, but I think it continues this theme of people empowering each other and supporting one another. It's got a heartfelt quality that I think the first two albums was missing."

@Xanthippe (10) is describing my situation as we speak- "Such an earworm!" Do you know how inconvenient it is to have A Moment to this song while you're writing a recap in which you gave it a 6.5 score? DO YOU?

I dare @sexercise (5.3) to put this on repeat for half an hour like yours truly- "I forgot what this sounded like immediately after listening to it so that’s enough." Get back to me. Please tell me I'm not going crazy.

Okay, I'm not at this point yet. @Macsun (9)- "Best Song on Midnight Memories. Great production, Zayn's soaring bridge, Nial's effective vocals. 'Nuff said." EFFECTIVE THO.

Boo hoo for you @DJHazey (4)- "The opening definitely reminds me of Kelly’s ”Stronger”, which makes sense with the name of the song. I’d imagine this a song about how safe and connected you feel in a relationship, but the only strength I’m feeling is whatever strength it’s taking for me to get through this album."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO @SophiaSophia (2)- "Really not here for horrible Dad Rock." Whatcha running from?

Okay I feel offended by this now, @constantino (5)- "It’s just a bit nothing-y…it’s as if all their energy for this project (ha) went on Best Song Ever. I mean, congrats for having a decent hook and decent production, but they seem so absent on this one. Although, it isn’t unlistenable by any means." Honestly, this feels very heartfelt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I was going to drag @Lost In Japan. (6) for channeling the Goo Goo dolls here, but it's all good now. Belt it sis! "And I don’t want the woooorld to see me, cause I don’t think that they’d understand."

Okay, this is just downright wrong. Even when I gave it my original score, I sure as hell knew this was better than these other two @Rasterax (3.5)- "Forms an unholy trinity of extremely unmemorable and interchangeable ""mature"" songs on the album, together with Right Now and Something Great."

Just youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu wait @Animalia (6.5)- "Weird that the band thought they could get away with chucking a mash-up of Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" and the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris" on their album but whatever, it's pretty mediocre anyway."

I think that's why this is fucking me up right now, @eccentricsimply (6)- "The good thing about this song are the vocals."

Give it another chance score twin @First2Run (6.5)! "For a song called Strong, this is in fact a weak and boring song. It does get some bonus points for its cute message."

I wasn't bothered by these scores before today, but now I'm just sad @VivaForever (4), @Furball (5) and @Petty Mayonnaise (5). There's still time to change your mind!

I think this is a Liam read from @A$AP Robbie (8)- "No surprise that the best of the Louis-co-writes-with-someone-else are where he's done it while Liam is in the toilet or something"

@Posh Spears (9) calls it- "One of the saving graces of the album!" Well, okay there's like three or more other ones better than this, I'm not that far gone yet.

Still! I'm going to take this moment and run. I love how a One Direction song still has the power to surprise me to this day. Thank you all for giving me this moment. Lemme express my love.

Cause when I'm not with you I'm weaker.
    Is that so wrong?
    Is it so wrong
    That you make me strong?

I haven't been feeling the greatest today, so I'm only going to eliminate the one. I'll try to eliminate three tomorrow to make up for it.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  17. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

That Zayn hair in the video though, yas king.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  18. To be fair though you would say this about literally every recording artist ever.

iheartpoptarts and ohnostalgia like this.
  19. One Direction's midtempos >> their uptempos

20. I would like 'Strong' a lot more if the 'Iris' rip-off wasn't SO obvious. Reductive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.