I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 84 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Oh I must've really liked Strong, looking at my scores, but I have no idea how it goes now.

2. True! But you know what I mean. They're not exactly Westlife, are they? One Direction are supposed to be fun.

VivaForever likes this.
  3. DEAD.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

One Direction can do a great slow song when they put their mind to it. It's rare, but it happens (a few examples are still left in this rate). Also I love a good slow song, they can be so much fun.

Considering I barely know what a Westlife is, I'm going to say that's a good thing.

5. But we've already kicked out 'Gotta Be You', so now I'm just like, whatever.

VivaForever likes this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

They Don't Know About Us is the end all of One Direction slow songs though.

7. Like it, don't love it, but they should've stuck with that sound over the Sheeran wannabe slow songs for sure!

VivaForever likes this.
  8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Well.

I guess it couldn't stay forever.

Shame.

[​IMG]

#39. Still The One [6.861]

High Score: 10 x 4 (@iheartpoptarts, @Mr. Right, @Posh Spears, @SophiaSophia)

Low Score: 4 x 4 (@Furball, @Subwaykid, @VivaForever, @wackseed)

My Score: 8

This rate is draining the life out of me. I knew One Direction had a bad rep on here, but this is getting pretty depressing. I'm usually the last person to pull the it's POPJustice card, but honestly? If you can't enjoy this song, what are you expecting from them? I know it's not personal growth cause you all chuck those songs out like candy too. I know it's not Grade A vocals cause some of the "voices" I see worshiped on here are not any better. I know it ain't a revolt against basicness cause this place loves basic bops. I'm just honestly confused at this point. I look at the averages coming up and to know this rate didn't fare much better than Jessie fucking J is devastating. You all have a lot to answer for.

Anyways, Still The One is another of the boptastic Take Me Home bonus tracks. Why this was left off the standard edition in favour of That Ginger is one of the biggest travesties in One Direction history. This is another Yacoub, Falk, and Kotecha cowrite with production from Shellback. It's not the greatest song in their discography, but it is F U N. I don't even mind some of the subpar vocals from the usual suspects because I'm too busy getting wrapped up in the fast pace. This is what I was missing from some of the more oddly paced songs from the Swedish trio. The I-I-I-I-I part is magical!

Let's open our commentary with this tragic in retrospect question from @Macsun (8.5)- "Not sure how anyone can resist bopping to this. Another showcase of their pop/rock sound." I've witnessed too much to be this naive and wide-eyed. I've been broken.

Since some people are still confused on how songs with the same title can exist and try to achieve two completely opposite goals, let's get these ridiculous comments out of the way and move on.

@wackseed (4)- "I am devastated that this isn't a cover of the Shania Twain immortal classic."

@VivaForever (4)- "Shania please show these boys how it’s done "

THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE. THEY ARE 19 THEY'RE NOT GOING TO SING SOME SONG ABOUT ETERNAL LOVE AND HOW THEY MADE IT. ALSO HARRY STYLES IS A SHANIA STAN SO AT LEAST KNOW YOUR HISTORY.

Okay. I feel a bit better now. Phew. Moving on. @eccentricsimply (5) please stop being Canadian when we disagree. I don't like it- "Eh."

I can't do much more than roll my eyes at these people @Up Down Suite (5), @Txetxu (5), @MollieSwift21 (5.5), @Reboot (4.5), @Furball (4), @Subwaykid (4), and @Fever (5). Here's your answer @Macsun!

@Animalia (6.5) is not as forgiving as me- "Lord't some of these vocals." I think Niall is actually worse than Louis this time, which is an achievement.

@sexercise (6.5) disagrees with me on moving this to the standard- "Definitely a bonus track but not a terrible one."

At this point I appreciate @constantino (7) trying to protect my feelings- "This isn’t exactly…good, but the pace is interesting at least. I appreciate them experimenting…ok perhaps that’s generous but you get what I mean."

@A$AP Robbie (8) has my back on the standard edition idea! "Some of the stuff on the "Yearbook Edition" is waaaaay better than the stuff on the Normal Edition. Shambles."

This is a lot of words for some reason @DJHazey (8)- "So looks like the guys broke it off with someone, thinking they could do better. Quickly realizing the error in their ways, this is the "Crawling back on my hands and knees" anthem. It's cute and a bop I suppose."

Doesn't it @First2Run (9)? "Nothing conceptually original here, but for a track #17 it slays my life."

@Posh Spears (10) wanted even more! "An absolutely amazing pop song. My only complaint is that I wish the last chorus was extended!"

Poor @SophiaSophia (10)- "They really do save most of the good stuff for the deluxe albums. This makes me annoyed at only having the standard version."

Last word to @iheartpoptarts (10) who is somehow staying strong throughout this rate- "It’s amazing how many top-quality boyband bops they’ve got on this album. Could’ve saved a few for the next ones…"

9. This is a problem! Like ew. There are so many songs deserving of 8+ averages and at least several deserving of over 9.

wackseed and ohnostalgia like this.
  10. Kii at the inevitable Shania quips. I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_ at my commentary being called "a lot of words".

11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Only 15 songs got an average of 8 or higher.

it's very upsetting.

12. I guess that's not horrible...... Ugh. I mean with most rates the 8+ averages come around #20 I think, so it's not horribly off.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  13. It's the bonus track effect with this one! I feel like they do unjustifiably badly compared to equally amazing songs that aren't bonus tracks. For some reason.

Do you realize how hard I normally flop in rates, though? I'm lucky if I have half my tens left by now!

(If I'm counting right, I have 8/10. This is awesome.)

14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

1D has so many bonus tracks that are better than album tracks, stupid "bonus track effect."

wackseed and iheartpoptarts like this.
  15. When your entire top 30 has an average of 8 or higher.
    [​IMG]

VivaForever likes this.
  16. They have so many bonus tracks that are better than singles!

iheartpoptarts and ohnostalgia like this.
  17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

RUDE.

MollieSwift21 likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

VivaForever likes this.
  19. I also wonder if maybe people scaled their scores down under the old voting system (like, the one where we couldn't go above 9 except for one 10 per album) and didn't scale them back up as much afterwards?

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.