I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 85 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

There was one voter who kept the old system, but yeah I didn't consider that bring a possibility.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  2. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Still The One felt like them on auto pilot.

I'm not to blame for low overall scores!

3. They also have album tracks that should've been singles! *cough* Fireproof *cough*.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Preaching to the choir!

wackseed and Deleted member 3416 like this.
  5. Westlife are fun!

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  6. About 15% of the time, yes!

7. Westlife are mostly awful, let's be honest.

8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Are they in the boyband rate? Which yes I am still doing @CorgiCorgiCorgi!

9. Not to worry, the two Westlife songs in the boyband rate are good!

CorgiCorgiCorgi and ohnostalgia like this.
  10. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

No one's going to try to take the Canada title out of you, Canada, don't worry.

Good riddance to this song as well.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I haven't been very Canadian this rate, have I?

12. They are!
    One of the songs is quite good.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  13. Oh it's a very good thing.

I actually like their version of I Have a Dream (which very much puts me in the PJ minority because for reasons I'll never understand, everyone here hates that song, and particularly their recording), but aside from that they were... very will-this-do.
    Why not? 19-year-old Cheryl Cole did!

Well... "singing" is a bit of a stretch, but.
    No, Canadians are usually friendly and polite.

14. eccentricsimply

Didn't work out particularly well for her now, did it?

Also I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_ didn't work out for anyone in 1D either.

ohnostalgia and VivaForever like this.
  15. OH MY GOD.

16. Is it me or are the averages a bit behind? They are not on 7 yet, but we did crack top 40...

ohnostalgia likes this.
  17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

NO.

NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[​IMG]

#38. Better Than Words [6.892]

High Score: 10 x 3 (@eccentricsimply, @iheartpoptarts, @Rasterax)
    Low Score: 2 x 1 (@SophiaSophia)

My Score: 9

Are you all trying to kill me? Because I feel very attacked right now!!!!!!! With all these backstabbings left and right, I'm not sure I'll survive. I may just spontaneously combust from feeling too many feelings. If this happens please lie and tell everyone I ran an iconic rate. *sob*.

Better Than Words is the Liam Payne of songs. Sweet and cliche, but amazing all the same. As you all should hopefully know, each line in the verse is a classic song. Let's run down the artists referenced here: Boston, Beyonce, Lionel Richie, Cascada/Maggie Reilly, Elvis, Usher, the Bee Gees, the Beach Boys, Britney, Adele, Mariah, Drake, Shakira, and Maroon 5/Phil Collins. This was Liam's idea and I'm a fan. They're referencing something we all instinctively do here; let the music speak for us. How many times has a song perfectly said what you yourself cannot? For me, a whole damn lot. "Not having the words" has been a theme in music for decades, I'm not sure why some of you are suddenly so pressed about it. Moving on from the lyrics, I also really love the vibe of this song, it's very laid back and acoustic with lots of whistles. Don't get me started on the AH-WHOOOOS! Genius. The only downside to this song is once again Louis. I would pay someone good money to create non-Louis edits of all their songs. #MissedOpportunity.

So what did the tasteless voters of this rate have to say for themselves? @SophiaSophia (2)- "Unnecessary filler and unnecessary vocals from Louis."

To the left, to the left
    Everything you own in the box to the left

@VivaForever (3).

Uh oh, uh oh, uh oh, oh no no
    Uh oh, uh oh, uh oh, oh no no

@MarkB (4)

And keep talking that mess that's fine
    But could you walk and talk at the same time

@wackseed (4.5)- "Y'all, this is the 14th song made of words on this album, don't start talking about how words aren't good enough to explain your love. Please."

Don't forget me, I beg, I'll remember you said,
    Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead

@Reboot (5)

I could have another you in a minute
    Matter of fact, he'll be here in a minute, baby

@Mr. Right (5.5).

Yes sir I'm cut from a different cloth,
    My texture is the best fur, of chinchilla.

@Daniel! (5.5).

So since I'm not your everything
    How about I'll be nothing

@sexercise (6)- "Ugh."

I shake phoneys man, you can't get next to,
    The genuine article I go I do not sing though

@A$AP Robbie (6)- "I don't know how else to sum it up, words aint good enough" SHAME THAT IT IS LITERALLY YOUR JOB."

And, it's my name that's on that jag
    So come move your bags, let me call you a cab

@First2Run (6)- "Best Part: ahWoo! (better than the words I guess…)"

You must not know 'bout me,
    You must not know 'bout me.

@constantino (6)- "OK, let me at least try to be positive here; I like that the production is at least trying to be experimental, especially in its sparsity compared to their other songs. This could easily have been a reject from 1989, which isn’t a dreadful thing, per se."

Standing in the front yard
    Tellin' me, how I'm such a fool

@GhettoPrincess (6), @Remorque (6), @Sprockrooster (6), @MollieSwift21 (6.1), @Animalia (6), and @Fever (6).

Baby I won't shed a tear for you
    I won't lose a wink of sleep
    'Cause the truth of the matter is
    Replacing you is so easy.

Moving on to the non taste impaired voters! @KAG (7.5) asks the important questions! "A fun, electro-pop rocky bop. I like the song references but Louis sounds awful. I don't get why he got a solo verse and the middle eight, while Zayn was left to only providing ad libs." It's like they were drying to drive Zayn away, right?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones @DJHazey (8)- "Ultra creative writing here, full of titles from a myriad of hit songs. *Eye roll* It’s groove/”oooo” combo really works though, so let me not completely disregard this one."

@Macsun (8) continues their quest to be my new fave- "Probably the most "rock n' roll" song on the album. Sticks out in context of the album but in a good way"

Me too, @Lost In Japan. (8.5), me too. "The gimmick in the verses totally gets me."

@Furball (9) turns on their Liam stan mode- "Liam's vocals here. "One more time." Repeat. Repeat. Repeat."

@With The Bands (9) should write Liam a thank you card- "I love that lyrics are actual song titles – great concept."

YAS @Up Down Suite (9)! "Fabulous upbeat moment, even if it’s far from my taste. I have to admit that it’s good for its type."

@Posh Spears (9.5)- "Love the Kesha-like synths in the verses"

Shady shady @eccentricsimply (10)- "I'm taking a leap with this 10 but it's mostly because I think the idea of this song was great. Considering everything else they've done, the fact that they came up with a song that has a concept is brilliant. Shout out to Liam."

This is not a good day for her, so I'll let @iheartpoptarts (10) close us out- "The last remnants of boyband 1D. It’s such a cute idea for a song. And it’s so catchy. I’m obsessed forever. As a side note, the best song referenced here is ‘You Drive Me Crazy’—assuming, of course, that they’re talking about Britney’s!"

#RIP

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  18. eccentricsimply

WHAT THE FUCK

iheartpoptarts and ohnostalgia like this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

They are. I should've been tougher on some users probably.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  20. Why did I say this?!?!?!

It's all downhill from here, isn't it?

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.