I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 91 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. You know I love you boo.

2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Let's go back to fighting over One Direction!

VivaForever likes this.
  3. Yes, let's do.

They're much more interesting than Lona the serious songer.

4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I guess all the You & I fans are asleep. I thought this elimination would get more outrage considering the proportion of high scores.

5. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

ohnostalgia likes this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

N
    O

HOW IS IT WORSE THOUGH?

wackseed likes this.
  7. No way is this one place better than God Almighty!

DJHazey and ohnostalgia like this.
  8. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

He was shooting at last!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Please don't embarrass me, Styles!

10. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

You & I is the first elimination in a while that I'm upset with. I'm very pro ballad though.

11. You and I is lovely, but it just dredged up a lot of repressed images from that video.

12. 'Best Song Ever' really is flawless. Back then, it carried the whole Midnight Memories era for me to the point that I almost didn't notice how whatever the rest of it was!

VivaForever likes this.
  13. That's generous!

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  14. The other singles average about 5 for me. Whatever works!

(Why is the 3 still here?!)

15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Hate to break it to you, but that's very well liked within the fandom.

16. Well, I mean, you probably had to like that sort of thing to stay in the fandom after a certain point...

17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Okay, nobody cared much about the last elimination (?)

Let's see if this gets a reaction.

I know it certainly got one from me.

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

[​IMG]

#32. Hey Angel [7.181]

High Score: 10 x 6 (@Animalia, @DJHazey, @Reboot, @sexercise, @Sprockrooster, @Up Down Suite)

Low Score: 3 x 2 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi, @Mr. Right)

My Score: 7

Look at all those tens! Lord knows I've been very vocal about my hatred of Melodramatic Infants Trying At Music, but I simply refuse to accept that Hey Angel is the fourth best track on the album. I don't even hate Hey Angel! It's just.... there. How much can I really say about this Bittersweet Symphony knockoff? As I've mentioned a few times before I don't mind when they plagiarize, but at least improve on something. Honestly, it would have been hilarious since Bittersweet Symphony is famously known as a copy of the Andrew Oldham recording of the Rolling Stone's The Last Time. Like how many layers of musical copying does it take to get to Hey Angel? Considering their foundations, One Direction should've been able to come up with something better than this. It's almost an insult to those who came before them! That's why it's no surprise that Hey Angel was written by the three Js plus Ed Drewitt. Half baked songs plus eye roll inspiring lyrics? Sounds like them! The most galling part of Hey Angel is Louis' hideous screeching throughout. It's a riot when they have him "backing" Liam on the bridge. Poor Liam. I'd have quit on the spot.

Okay, let's see what you all have to say for yourself. I'm sure it will be enlightening.

@Sprockrooster (10) leaves me hanging- "I was not expecting much from this album, but this song really shows it's not. A blazing glory of pop-perfection." Shows it's not what????? Competent? Interesting? Shall I go on?

Not when it's up against heavy weights like Best Song Ever and What Makes You Beautiful, @Up Down Suite (10)- "Their best album opener. Reminds me a lot of The Verve’s Bittersweet Symphony."

You literally gave a 10 to background noise. Is that what you're telling me @DJHazey (10)? "This is a pretty immersive sound and very hypnotizing for them. I don't think it'd ever make a good single or anything, but it's very pleasant playing in the background. I know this album is probably going to go downhill fast, so let me enjoy a moment of surprising euphoria. Also it seems like Harry teased the fans when he leaked lyrics from this song, which adds something to its iconic status." Also literally nobody thought Harry's tweets were iconic. We were mostly just confused.

E X C U S E M E @sexercise (10)? "Perfect introduction to this album. The first time that Louis has ever sounded great." You know what, it's not even worth it.

Emphasis on the lite, @tylerc904 (9.5)- "I love this one. A bit Bittersweet Symphony lite but still one of the few I took away from the album."

Since when did you join the Louis stan club? Was my "I Love Louis" tweet prophetic, @VivaForever (8.5)? "This would be an AMAZING song (like, 11 contender) if it weren’t for the noisy wannabe-rocker instrumentation. The song itself is really good, as is the vocal production." D I S G U S T I N G.

Yes I also am glad this was never a single @Rasterax (8)- "Grew on me, I gave this a lesser score in the previous vote. It's also a good choice for an opener, I'm glad they didn't go the obvious 1st single is the 1st song route for once."

I don't even think it's particularly great at this, but okay @With The Bands (8)- "Great brit pop vibe."

Hey @ohnostalgia? Tell me do you ever cry when we waste away our votes? @Remorque (8.5), @Txetxu (8.5), @thefaceofyou (9), @Furball (8.5), @Xanthippe (9). (Yes, yes I do.)

@SophiaSophia (7) is clocking a different British band- "1D does Coldplay not much to it really."

Yeah, I don't get this it's such an awesome opener garbage either @First2Run (7)- "Being the very first song on the album, you’d think it would be less boring. It’s alright for an album track, not so much an opener."

Please tell me you did not just confuse Harry with Louis, @wackseed (7). I know his screaming situation was bad on MITAM, but not THAT bad- "This song has some decent backing vocals, which seem to be mostly Harry (thank god they know who their best singer is with Zayn gone), and a nice sort of late-Beatles vibe as far as the actual music goes. Lewis stands out like a sore thumb, though, and the lyrics are inane."

Some shade from @constantino (7)- "This is ok, but the ‘chorus’ is a bit of a non-event in my eyes/ears. I personally don’t think the chorus of a pop song should be less memorable than the verses. That being said, the song itself is listenable and actually quite enjoyable at points."

@Macsun (7) is not here for the copycat vibes- "I can't un-hear 'Bittersweet Symphony' in this. Even though it's different enough it irks me for some reason"

Right-o @Posh Spears (7.5)- "This sounds exactly like that song Bitter Sweet Symphony, right?"

@KAG's (5) assessment is very close to mine- "This starts off well but gets boring quickly. I like the production. It's very Britpop but the melody and lyrics aren't dynamic enough to sustain my interest."

Before I get to our final comment, I'd like to thank the following people who stopped this from beating any more MITAM tracks, cause clearly my seven score was far too generous - @GhettoPrincess (5), @MollieSwift21 (3.5), @MarkB (5), @Daniel! (5), and @Petty Mayonnaise (5.5). Plus the aforementioned lowscorers!

Shed some truths @eccentricsimply (4)- "I hate the production of this song. It's so autotuned to compensate for Louis' lack of skills that Liam sounds terribly off. And it's just a very boring song. It goes from nowhere to nowhere."

Now that I've got this behemoth out of the rate, what song do you think will just miss the Top 30?

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  18. Vocal PRODUCTION, sis. I said nothing about the vocals themselves. But they aren't BAD (nor are they particularly good), so kii I guess? Although I honestly have no idea who's who.

19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Did you even listen to the bridge? It's painful. And the vocal production makes the rest of them sound like crap so that Louis doesn't sound so bad.

20. Woohoo! It was weird for this to still be in.

Tell me it's something I don't care for!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.