I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 92 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Define "care for."

2. I knew it sounded like something I wouldn't purposely set out to listen to! For some reason I was thinking U2.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  3. Anything I rated a 10 and/or anything from Take Me Home. Kii.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

You're good. I'm only doing this 'cause you've become one of my allies.

Deleted member 21339 likes this.
  5. Love you gurl.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  6. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

FINALLY

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Who knew that Hey Angel would inspire so much love?

8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

This is such a bittersweet (heh) elimination.

On the one hand, I really wish it could have held on for just one more spot.

On the other, I didn't expect it to even crack the Top 50!

Head off into the sunset with me, dear voters....​

[​IMG]

#31. Ready to Run [7.222]

High Score: 10 x 3 (@Animalia, @KAG, @Subwaykid)
    Low Score: 2 x 1 (@With The Bands)

My Score: 8

I'm so proud of my folky road trip gem. I never expected it to get this much love on a place like PopJustice. It's enough to make me shed a tear or two. Give me a moment.

Okay, I'm back. I never expected a song like this from One Direction, but the seventies folk rock vibe really suits them. Ready to Run was released as a promo track and I remember putting up an instagram post about listening to it on repeat that day. They had me hooked from those gorgeous opening sighs. I think we've already established from my Girl Almighty writeup that I love this type of acoustic production. I like when I can hear all the boys and they're not hiding behind autotone or other computerized effects. For all the people talking about Louis being good on Hey Angel, I'd like to direct you to an actual example of him being tolerable. Harry, in particular, is the champion of Ready to Run. An extra point in my book. Lyrically, I love the repeating themes they introduce here (lightning, sun, escape, tides, togetherness, etc) that continue throughout Four. Honestly, they should've flipped the track order of Ready to Run and Steal My Girl. Hey if they could do it for Hey Angel, they could've done it here! So who is responsible for this little gem? Ready to Run was written by the three Js with an assist from LiLo. Isn't it grand when they create songs I actually like? I think that's why I get so mad at their mediocrity; I know what they can bring to the table.

Okay, I'll move on to the voice of the people now. Speaking for the southern hemisphere, @eccentricsimply (5) declares- "I'm ready to run away from this song."

Well I would notice, @A$AP Robbie (5)- "You could paste in the Story of My Life chorus here and no-one would even notice the edit point. Lazy. " Not all acoustic songs are the same! I think that would be an awful fit. Story of my Life is melancholic and Ready to Run is joyous and triumphant.

I think @iheartpoptarts (5) is still traumatized by 2013! "Well, at least it doesn’t turn into ‘Wake Me Up’ by Avicii. It sounds like the kind of song where you’d have to worry about that!"

@DJHazey (5) does realize that Mumford & Sons were not the pioneers of this sound, right? Get a new reference point! "This song forms a bridge from Midnight Memories a lot better than Steal My Girl does and that’s clearly not a good thing. Mumford & Sons/U2 style, here we go again…" I guess I should just be glad I don't have people calling this country.

But I thought you liked basic @Up Down Suite (6)? "Glad it wasn’t a single in the end, sounds basic as hell."

Aw, no love for the sighs @constantino (6)? "The chorus is the only notable moment on this track…and yet it isn’t even THAT great. I think this suffers from coming after one of the band’s best singles, so naturally it feels like a non-event in comparison."

I don't disagree, @Sprockrooster (7)- "A bit more power in the bridge and it a class-a song"

Okay, this is insulting @sexercise (7.5)- "It sounds like a good Midnight Memories track."

Definitely, @tylerc904 (7.5)! "Sounds like an album opener. Missed opportunity!"

Is this your thing in commentary, @VivaForever (7.5)? Just wondering.... "It’s no Dixie Chicks’ Ready to Run, but it’s still very good."

Let out your Harry stan @wackseed (7.5)! "The chorus of this is the best part, and Harry is the best part of the chorus. There's a lot of this “wild lonesome free-as-a-bird” aesthetic going on in this album, and this is only the start of it, so brace yourselves. " Wait..... brace?

I think it's actually all of them minus Zayn @SophiaSophia (8.5)- "Seriously who is the mumford and sons stan in 1D I bet it's Liam. It's a lot better than dreary attempt from Midnight Memories."

@Macsun (9) is in total agreement with me- "I always play this track first when listening to FOUR. Such a great opener to the journey of this album"

Since I did not receive commentary from the 10s, I'll let Queen of Accidental Shade @First2Run (9.5) have the last word- "What a massive song, it makes me want to run too! Perhaps that’s not the point…"

This time I'm ready to run
    Wherever you are is the place I belong
    'Cause I wanna be free, and I wanna be young
    I will never look back now I'm ready to run
    I'm ready to run

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  9. Only for them. They have a staggering number of songs that share titles with other songs. The only other act I've seen with so many is ... Taylor.

MollieSwift21 and ohnostalgia like this.
  10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

If you have problems with this Top 30, don't blame me.​

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  11. 2 10's????

OH. FUCK OFF!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I was waiting for you to get here.

Also yas keep up the good work. I want that forum meme status.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  13. That is such a strong top 30. King Harry would be proud.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  14. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

DRAMA
    DRAMA
    DRAMA

16. [​IMG]
    (COMING SOON TO THE BANANARAMA RATE! 5/30/16)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

This is bold after the post I made earlier today.

18. I've accepted my position as this thread's resident @Island.

DJHazey and Island like this.
  19. Island

Island Staff Member

20. What the fuck @ these two eliminations.

Edit: and Ready To Run as well! What! WHAT!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.