I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate | Page 96 | The Popjustice Forum

I Think I'm Gonna Win This Time: The One Direction Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

This is bullshit quite frankly and you should all be ashamed.

Animalia and ohnostalgia like this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Dearly beloved.

We gather here today to say goodbye.

To not only a Grade A Bop

But also the 11 of two people.

And the agitator of indie rock douchebags.​

[​IMG]

#28. Change Your Ticket [7.478]

High Score: 11 x 2 (@thefaceofyou, @VivaForever) 10 x 3 (@ohnostalgia, @Posh Spears, @Txetxu)
    Low Score: 4 x 2 (@Daniel!, @DJHazey)

Okay, let's just get it out of the way- Change Your Ticket is The 1975's Girls 2.0. Except for the awkward part where it's actually better. I've been known to like some 1975, but I'd take Change Your Ticket over Girls any damn day of the week. I'd much rather listen to Zayn, Harry, and Liam serenade me than hear Matty sing about getting with an 17 year old girl (there's no amount of ewwwwww for this, why are men so terrible?) Furthermore, the best parts of Change Your Ticket are not even lifted from Girls anyways- the "you should probably stay, you should probably stay" hook, the don't goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, the bridge, etc. Finally, it's not like The 1975 are particularly original themselves, being a complete pastiche of 80s pop rock. With all this in mind let me present you this interview quote from douchebag extraordinaire Matty Healy.

I'd tell him to grow up, but he's 27. I should ask him his opinion on the Beatles, considering all the borrowing they did throughout their storied discography. Really, I could ask him about pretty much any act in modern recorded music history, because that's what pop music does. It's a living canon that builds and pays tribute to those who came before. Some of the greatest songs in the past decade were built on the back of well chosen samples. Sure there's a fine line between tribute and copying, but you know that's not why he's upset. It's because a BOY BAND dared to like his music and present it to a different audience with a twist. As if Harry Styles tweeting his love for your band had no impact on your tour attendance, right Healy? Frankly, I think he should worry more about his personal integrity, but that's just me. Now that I've gotten that rant out of my system, let's turn to the horribly misguided voters of this rate. There may or may not be a surprise waiting for you.

Low scorer @DJHazey (4) needs to check his ears again, "It’s a cute sentiment. We’ve all been there when we didn’t want to let go so quickly. Too bad it’s so damn boring." For this blasphemy I've changed his ticket to April 23, 2016. He must also listen to Beyonce's Lemonade 100 times to atone for his sins. NEXT!

[​IMG]

Hello @Daniel (4). You've earned a one way ticket to April 14, 2014 where you will console one future Oscar stealer Sam Smith in his time of need so he will hopefully shut up and leave us alone.

[​IMG]

Yo, beast! The backstabbing @Petty Mayonnaise (4.5) gets a ticket to March 21, 2016. Good luck with Demetria Stone Cold Lovato.

[​IMG]

What's up @With The Bands (5)? I hope you enjoy your indefinite stay with Miss Meghan Trainor on June 30, 2014.

[​IMG]

Hey @Fever (5.5)! I've found a ticket to February 19, 2015 where you can join Rachel Platton in white mediocrity.

[​IMG]

Oh. It's @wackseed (6). I banish you to spend August 20, 2015 with Charlie Puth. Forever!!!!

[​IMG]

My airmiles balance is perilously low, so gather round @GhettoPrincess (6), @Sprockrooster (6), @Lost In Japan. (6.5), @MarkB (6), @Subwaykid (6), @Rasterax (6), and @Animalia (6.5). Have fun on November 22, 2015 witnessing this kiss over and over again:

[​IMG]

Now that we've banished those haters, let me say hello to the wonderful people. What amazing commentary did you send to me?

@KAG (7) also believes this is better than Girls! "This is a blatant The 1975 rip-off. It steals the guitar riff from 'Girls'. I like it better than that song though. It's very bouncy and upbeat."

@iheartpoptarts (7.5) can support this- "Even if the chorus isn’t up to much, I like the overall feel of this one!"

I guess @Furball (8) has lived a 1975 free life! "This has similar feels than some songs on Zayn's album have. I bet he wrote lot on it." Also... he wrote a little on it.

At least @constantino (8) singles out the best parts- " Another solid chorus, but it’s nothing remarkable. The ‘don’t goooo!’ hook is the best thing here, along with Zayn’s vocals in the bridge leading up to the final chorus."

@eccentricsimply (8.5) is mostly a fan- "Very 80s, it's a great song. I don't like the production, but it's good."

@First2Run (8.5) has some suggestions- "This song is well constructed and the boys sound excellent, however I do think it drags just a little bit too much as it approaches the end."

@SophiaSophia (8.7) is tired of 1D's incompetence- "Why are all the best songs towards the end of the album the tracklisting does not do this album any favours. Remove the filler this album would be better. The main problem I have with their albums is that there's possibly too many songs also with this album all the amazing songs are on the deluxe thank goodness for itunes then. They would seriously deliver the goods with a solid 10-12 track album and 14 track deluxe album."

Hahahaha @sexercise (8.8)- "The 1975 have probably released this song so I love it."

Well at least this will make Healy happy, @Up Down Suite (9)- "A highlight from their discography altogether. Wish it was a single. Has a nice Maroon 5 vibe."

MATTY WHO??? YASSSS @Macsun (9.5)- "Another 'deluxe track' which should have been a featured album track. Kudos to Niall for delivering a fantastic vocal. Great harmonies, lyrics and funky bass line. Yes it's very 1975 but i don't give a fuck! "

I'm sorry @Posh Spears (10)- "The highlight of the album for me. That guitar is wonderous!"

Finally, let's hear from our 11 givers. First we have @VivaForever, who apparently changed her pick because she was afraid of my wrath. Oops? "I want this to have better production to make it more of a bop/anthem/choon, but it is so damn catchy! Yass boys let me stay a couple more days."

Last word to @thefaceofyou (11)- "This has always been a favorite, so easy to listen to. I’m so glad the only time it’s been done live (that I know of) was at my concert. Okay fine, Liam only did like two lines of it, but it still counts!!!"

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  3. I fucking knew it.

4. Oh I didn't even realise that was still in. I probably overscored it.

Didn't even rip off the best 1975 song:

5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Okay, that's not even the best song from the first album, let alone their best song ever.

6. I haven't listened to their new album I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_

7. Up All Night and Change Your Ticket eliminated right in a row is really not good for my emotional health... This song is an absolute joy and deserved better.

Anyway @ohnostalgia you fucking scalp those low scorers! True defender of Popjustice.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  8. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

This is sad. Justice for Change Your Ticket.

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I really thought it had a great chance of going Top 20. Shows what I know about this forum, I guess.

10. I only know of like 2 1975 songs. I like this one because it sounds like INXS.

Also, this performance was so damn divisive, and I loved it.

11. i deeply dislike the 1975. Mainly that guys voice but also everything about them

ohnostalgia likes this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm scared to post the next elimination.

13. SO ANYWAY.

I did indeed change my 11 to Change My Ticket so @ohnostalgia wouldn't beat me up for 11ing What Makes You Beautiful, which remains my actual favorite song in the rate. I chose Change My Ticket because at the time it was the song I was listening to the most of what I'd discovered from the rate.

In the end, however, I haven't really listened to it since results started. So under that criterion my 11 should have been ...

... Ready to Run.

Change My Ticket didn't actually deserve my 11 but it deserved to go top ten so in conclusion:

FUCK OFF.

14. That was fun. Is it bad that I almost wish I'd given it a lower score so I could have a ticket?

(OK, not really, don't kill me.)

@VivaForever, I never would've guessed!

ohnostalgia and VivaForever like this.
  15. eccentricsimply

If it's my 11 don't bother.

ohnostalgia and VivaForever like this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm not some internet thug, I don't beat people up. I just make scathing comments about them.

17. eccentricsimply

"Tryrant Queen." [email protected]

VivaForever and ohnostalgia like this.
  18. Okay... that sounds fake but okay.

wackseed and ohnostalgia like this.
  19. KAG

KAG

I couldn’t agree more with all of this. Matty's comments were uncalled for and I generally find him pretentious and annoying.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.