Icehouse The Singles Rate 1981-2021 WINNER Revealed

I was going to participate in this, but couldn’t be arsed listening to the post-‘Code Blue’ tracks (the singles from ‘Big Wheel’ never grabbed me). I think I even gave everything a score up until then. I didn’t know (or didn’t read the rules) that you didn’t have to give everything a score.

I was going to participate in this, but couldn’t be arsed listening to the post-‘Code Blue’ tracks (the singles from ‘Big Wheel’ never grabbed me). I think I even gave everything a score up until then. I didn’t know (or didn’t read the rules) that you didn’t have to give everything a score.
Thanks I now have the scores will will quickly re adjust the current totals and hopefully start before this weekend

So 34 tracks to reveal and the bottom half of the vote will come as no surprise full of remixes and newer material. So let's begin with a revisit to a Street Cafe over 20 years since the original in 2004. It's not the worst remix i have heard that is for sure.

No34 Street Cafe 2004 Score 32.60 Average 6.62 Highest Score 8.6 Untouchable Ace Lowest Score 4 Canceled

So 34 tracks to reveal and the bottom half of the vote will come as no surprise full of remixes and newer material. So let's begin with a revisit to a Street Cafe over 20 years since the original in 2004. It's not the worst remix i have heard that is for sure.

No34 Street Cafe 2004 Score 32.60 Average 6.62 Highest Score 8.6 Untouchable Ace Lowest Score 4 Canceled

They really should have re-named it as "Internet Street Cafe" as this is the sort of Music the one at "Faro Dos" in Gran Canaria was playing back in 2004 while I was surfing the net there....Happy days?!

More remixes to come next as at 33 we have a version of a song that I actually like, I always say if a remix of a song doesn't tamper with the original too much it is likely to work and for me in 2021 Hey Little Girl was a very decent attempt at a remix, much better than the 1997 one for me

Hey Little Girl 2021 (Antipodeans Mix) Score 35.40 Average 7.08 Highest Score 9 (Simes1970, Remorque) Lowest Score 3 (Canceled)

Let's look at the next couple. I have to say I found Berlin Tapes to be very good, the covers at least good to great. So at 32 we have the first of the Bowie tracks which remains very faithful to the original I think, decent but of course nothing can beat the original version

No32 Heroes Score 36.65 Average 7.33 Highest Score 8 (Simes1970, Hairycub1969) Lowest Score 6.75 (Remorque)
Comments Include
"it’s very hard to ruin this song!" (Hairycub1969)

Interesting. Heroes is fine, but not exactly a revelation. Oddly, I think Iva sounds more like Bowie on some Icehouse songs than he does here.

Oh, Lay Your Hands On Me. It felt like just about every fading pop group attempted a Cher-style dance pop crossover from 99-02, but I didn't like this at all. The vocoder here makes me crazy.

Last edited: