Icehouse The Singles Rate 1981-2021 WINNER Revealed

Into the Top 30 we go, and to no surprise it's another remix that kicks us off, I really do not like the extra drums used on this, but beyond that it doesn't tamper too much with the song,

No 30 Great Southern Land 1994 Score 39.95 Average 6.65 Highest Score 9.2 (Untouchable Ace) Lowest Score 4 (Hairycub1969)
Comments Include
"All the life and soul has been taken out of the original in this remix for me!" (Hairycub1969)
This was an attempt last year remixed by Cassian which I think is better than the above release.

Another of the extra tracks is up next, for me this has a slight reggae tinge to it , It's a grower for me, more I hear it, the more I like it

No 29 Invisible People Score 41.80 Average 6.96 Highest Score 8 (Simes1970, Hairycub1969) Lowest Score 6 (Canceled, Eric Generic)

Comments Include
"Average Rock/Reggae number for me" (Hairycub1969)

This is my least favorite version of Great Southern Land.

I didn't realize they had released Invisible People as a single until this rate.

I'm not heartbroken they're already out.

Am I the only one who submitted commentary to support my scores!?
I added comments about my two high scoring songs, but I usually like to comment as the rate progresses. This marks a real change from a decade ago, when I would write volumes about every song (sorry, rate hosts of old!)

Into the Top 30 we go, and to no surprise it's another remix that kicks us off, I really do not like the extra drums used on this, but beyond that it doesn't tamper too much with the song,

No 30 Great Southern Land 1994 Score 39.95 Average 6.65 Highest Score 9.2 (Untouchable Ace) Lowest Score 4 (Hairycub1969)

I wasn't sure about this mix at all until about half way through, then I began to quite like it. But it's not a patch on the original. The spooky power has been diluted a bit, but you can never really make this song sound terrible.

I've said it before but I'll never know how they only had two uk top 40s. Crazy...
It is a surprise! They also had more regional mixes or variants than many bands, and I'm still confused about the Great Southern Land compilation*

I have a copy of the US release, and as far as I can tell Can't Help Myself, Street Cafe and Love In Motion are the Australia single mixes yet Great Southern Land, Sister, Walls and We Can Get Together were new mixes for the US market (maybe Steve Thompson and Michael Barbiero mixes?) and No Promises (12" Dance Mix) is actually just the Club Mix from the US 12". I haven't thought about this in a while, lol

Satellite was an attempt to recapture some of the power pop magic but I found it ultimately forgettable.

I was the high scorer for Loving the Alien (!), and for me this song proves once again that Iva can really sing. I love the drama introduced by the cello and piano in this version. It's a really well-arranged version of the song.

Up next we have a track where I have changed my opinion of the track, before re appraising for this rate I thought this was fair to middling, but the fact I kept humming it hours after listening recently an almost complete 360 from me.

No26 Big Wheel Score 44.90 Average 6.41 Highest Score 8.9 (Untouchable Ace) Lowest Score 4 (Blaahh)

Final of the extra tracks once again taken from Berlin Tapes, a Talking Heads cover and another that Iva's voice totally suits.

No25 Heaven Score 48.10 Average 8.01 Highest Score 10 (Canceled) Lowest Score 6 (Hairycub1969)

Comments Include
" The missing link between Simply Red and Icehouse – both covered Talking Heads’ “Heaven” " (Hairycub1969)