Icona Pop - General Mediocrity Discussion | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Icona Pop - General Mediocrity Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by sushimuffin, May 6, 2012.

1. I'm always so shocked when I remember other PJ posters live in the same city as I do. How was the Glasslands show? I wanted to go, but I just couldn't be bothered to drag myself across the city for a midnight show. (I'm an old)

2. The show was great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The setlist went something like this:

Nights Like This
    Manners
    Rocket Science
    Top Rated
    I Love It
    Weekend

So yes, it was short. They didn't even play all the songs they've released so far, much less leaked and wonderful songs like Still Don't Know. There was also some really unnecessary dubstep forced into Manners. I will await the final studio version, but I was not too impressed with the new song, "Weekend," either; it's kind of irritating to be honest. But the girls were both great, very high energy, throwing glowsticks about like madmen and breathlessly chatting into the microphone on occasion between songs. I enjoyed myself. I hope they come back stateside one day.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  3. I need an album from them as soon as possible, God. 'Weekend' is just... No words to describe how amazing it sounds. It somehow managed to throttle me harder than 'I Love It'.

'I Love It' was a slap in the face, 'Weekend' sounds like a punch in the gut.

4. That setlist is pretty much perfect.

5. Gosh, I always forget about Beat the L for some reason, but it's probably one of my favorite songs of theirs. Good thing I had forgotten about it before the show--I would have been highly disappointed that they didn't play it!

6. Well I can't say I haven't been anticipating a new EP/album from them. I'm liking "Ready for the Weekend" more now that I've heard it in studio form, and the non-club mix will probably be even better. All I really want from them right now is a studio version of "Beat the L" and some other potentially amazing new songs. Here's hoping the EP will address that.

7. Ready for the Weekend sounds interesting, but I'm really craving for another pure pop banger a là I Love It.

8. Hopefully once it's trimmed down with a bit more shape it'll be elevated from 'ok' status. I think now I've had them short and punchy with I Love It I'd like some more of that too. What an great title for the EP though.

9. Also, I almost never say this but I hope Icona Pop can infuse some lesbian undertones to their image in the coming months. Seeing that karaoke video on Pitchfork I am reminded that not only are both of these girls incredibly cute and likeable, but they would make an incredibly cute couple. Then I can place them in my beloved fantasy pantheon of ambiguously gay Swedish duos that I am so fond of.

10. For so many of you wondering no, the version of "Ready for the Weekend" that expensively popped up on Beatport today is not anything resembling a single edit. It's a "Club Mix" and a "Dub."

11. I thought they WERE a couple (I mean, their origin story is basically every homosexual's dream meet-cute, or maybe I'm confusing it with Hurts') until one of them mentioned dating a man, at which point I was super disappointed.

12. I'm not normally fond of dub mixes, but 'Ready for The Weekend's is really good. I do hope the regular version has more shape, but the choir singing "Grab somebody, go live it up..." is absolutely amazing.

13. Icona Pop is amazing and nearly every track they've done is amazing. Bless Icona Pop.

14. Bought it on Beatport for £1.50. Steep! Kinda got addicted to it, it's sort've daft, bizarre, but fun.

15. Guest member

Guest member Guest

I haven't listened to this new single yet as I'm waiting for the original studio version, but I recently bought their collaboration with Logo ("Luvsick") from iTunes. It's on one of the numerous Kitsuné compilations and I love it so so much. It's actually very different to all their heavy shouting pop-dance tracks but I love that softer side of them as well. Here's hoping to more of that in the future. The new EP better be released worldwide.

16. I too love their slightly quieter (or at least less shouty) tracks. My other favorite is "Still Don't Know." Especially given that I sense a stylistic move to a more club-oriented sound with "I Love it" and "Ready for the Weekend," I would love to see on the upcoming EP a more restrained, almost sinister track, much like say fellow Swedes Rebecca and Fiona's moody 'n amazing "Dance."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj1wqGLD5KE

17. Guest member

Guest member Guest

Ha it's funny you say that, yesterday I received a physical import from Sweden of the Rebecca & Fiona album and have been playing it to death ever since. "Dance" really is fucking amazing, but that's for another thread I guess.

18. The more said about that album the better. Fucking incredible is right. I like to think of R&F as the intense and spaced-out counterparts to Icona Pop's giddy party-girl theatrics.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.