Iconography: The Great Madonna Retrospective

Our mission is to listen to and then discuss every Madonna album in chronological order.

She’s recorded a lot of albums.

tumblr_lxhrx6R0b61qjjfboo1_500.jpg

Rules of Discussion

The album in discussion must be listened to in its entirety before you post opinions even if you’ve heard it before. It isn’t just about the songs we’re familiar with. We’ll also talk about the obscure/famous albums tracks.

Views must be balanced which means no needless bitchiness. Negative opinions are allowed, of course, but they need to be considered and measured opinions. Explain Yourself!

Madonna albums not currently in discussion can be referenced or mentioned but only in context of the present debate. We’re going to get to those albums eventually so it would be better to keep huge discussions kept for that actual record.

Madonna videos, concerts, TV spots, adverts, movies and other contemporaneous events coinciding with the album in discussion can be deliberated over but please keep it pertinent!

The first album up for discussion is Madonna's debut album entitled Madonna. It was released in 1983. A special post will announce the official discussion, so don't post anything about Madonna yet. Listen to the album and get ready for the official start of the retrospective. It begins on Monday 9th July 2012.

Here's the list of albums we're going to go through. Future Lover put the list together, so thank you! If we had our strikethrough option, I'd use it to strike through each album as we listened to it.

Iconography

Madonna
Like A Virgin
True Blue
You Can Dance/Who's That Girl
Like A Prayer
I'm Breathless
The Immaculate Collection
Erotica
Bedtime Stories
Something To Remember
Evita
Ray Of Light
Music
GHV2
American Life
Confessions On A Dance Floor
Hard Candy
Celebration
MDNA

However, there will be slight detours where we bring up the movies and the soundtracks to those movies. Some of them have been kept on as 'studio albums' like I'm Breathless/Who's That Girl/Evita but Vision Quest won't be a main topic of discussion. We can bring up Vision Quest and the Madonna songs during our discussion for Like A Virgin. The same standard applies to the following:

The Next Best Thing(?)
I'm Going To Tell You A Secret
The Confessions Tour
Şticky & Sweet Tour

They'll be combined with the main studio album in discussion which Madonna released most recently.

Last edited:
Videography

Everybody
[video=youtube;cOqr_x_9fMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOqr_x_9fMc[/video]

Burning Up
[video=youtube;pufec0Hps00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pufec0Hps00[/video]

Holiday
[video=youtube;0X7RyGBq2E8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X7RyGBq2E8[/video]

Lucky Star
[video=youtube;ThHz9wlBeLU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThHz9wlBeLU[/video]

Borderline
[video=youtube;rSaC-YbSDpo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSaC-YbSDpo[/video]

Mvnl

Staff member
Are we gonna include Evita? I'm Breathless? The Immaculate Collection? Something To Remember is too great to ignore too really...
Are we just randomly going to discuss each of them or will there some kind of 'best song/song that's better than I remembered/wrong single choice/etc' list to work through?
(If not, I'll just probably do it myself, because just randomly talking about album's I've known and discussed for years will be quite tough.

Mvnl

Staff member
Listen to the album, watch the videos, and we'll begin on Monday!

What will begin on monday? Actual discussion?
Cause in that case I'll save the listening and watching for then as well. I'm sure more thoughts will come up during the actual process than 4 days later.

Also: yay for this! Life got meaning again!

Last edited:
The actual discussion will start on Monday.

If there's anything any of you want to contribute for the others to see then by all means do so. Includes rare interviews, tour footage, magazine cuttings, reviews etc. Keep it focussed on the first album though.

Are we gonna include Evita? I'm Breathless? The Immaculate Collection? Something To Remember is too great to ignore too really...

Absolutely. The whole entire lot of it. I'm not sure if we should do the Ray Of Light remix album though. We'll discuss everything including the singles, the album tracks, the producers, the impact they all had on us. Let's just have fun celebrating our Queen!

Mvnl

Staff member
Absolutely. The whole entire lot of it. I'm not sure if we should do the Ray Of Light remix album though. We'll discuss everything including the singles, the album tracks, the producers, the impact they all had on us. Let's just have fun celebrating our Queen!

So is that a yes to GHV2, Who's That Girl, You Can Dance and Celebration too?

And I must have completely missed the Ray Of Light remix album.
Unless it's a very odd way of referring to Remixed & Revisited.

I

invertedbutterfly

For our purposes here, does Ain't No Big Deal count as a Madonna-outtake, rather than a True Blue b-side? (I hope it does, as it certainly makes more sense to me that way...)

So is that a yes to GHV2, Who's That Girl, You Can Dance and Celebration too?

And I must have completely missed the Ray Of Light remix album.
Unless it's a very odd way of referring to Remixed & Revisited.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes and there's now something on the remix album in the General Discussion thread.

S

StraightActing19

Genuinely my favourite Madonna album. Will be a pleasure to revisit it.

Damn, there's an official Ray of Light remix album? Just found out about that! If only it didn't cost €105 on amazon I'd order it right now...

For our purposes here, does Ain't No Big Deal count as a Madonna-outtake, rather than a True Blue b-side? (I hope it does, as it certainly makes more sense to me that way...)

It's totally relevant to what we're doing here so by all means bring it up in the discussion.

I'm writing notes down on the videos! I've already come up with loads of stuff I haven't really considered before and I've seen them loads of times. I've spotted two amazing things about Burning Up I hadn't spotted previously. This retrospective is going to be really good fun.

Last edited:
Erm, I'm a stan for a million years, and I don't think that Ray of Light had an official remix album... It was in the works, definitely, they wanted to name it Veronica Electronica, but it got shelved. That's all I know about that project.
After that semi-bitching comment, I must say that I'm really excited about this. A perfect topic to boost up my post count, and an brilliant idea for introducing Madonna to new fans!

I only discovered the official Holiday video earlier this week. Always thought it had no video. Of course it could have been so much better but she just started her career at that time. It really deserves an epic video to match the song.

I've never been that big a Madonna fan but at her best she was blood amazing. Her best finished somewhere around 1987..

Earlier this year I bought all of her albums as I thought I should own them. Now I'll finally get round to listening to them properly.

I'm gagging for this thread.