If I like ... | The Popjustice Forum

If I like ...

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sam, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Sam

Sam

There’s a great sub-reddit called “If I Like ... What Else Will I Like?” that I use all the time, so I thought it would be a good addition here. Forgive me if we already have something similar.

The premise is fairly obvious, where you state you like a certain song, sound or artist, and other users reply with their recommendations. And I trust the recommendations of this forum more than I do over at Reddit.

So to start off, I’ve started a new playlist of songs that have a certain vibe and I’m looking for other additions -

So far I have

Lorde - Ribs
    Lorde - Perfect Places
    La Roux - Let Me Down Gently
    Bleachers - Wake Me
    Ariana Grande - Thinking Bout You

The theme here is that these songs all have a certain wall-of-sound type element, they’re 80s orientated and they’re the type of songs that make me think of uncomfortably hot weather and they’re all kind of sleepy and hazy. Does anyone have any recommendations for additions?

Of course, everyone else should feel free to ask for recommendations too.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  2. I like this idea. I often want to ask for recommendations to go on my themed-playlists but don't know where to post.

I'd recommend:

MUNA - Around U
    St Lucia - Dancing on Glass
    Ralph - September Fades
    Jack River - Ballroom
    Bloodboy - Sex Crime
    Fickle Friends - Hard to Be Myself

Can someone curate a playlist based on Absolutely Everybody, 2 Times and Sunshine After the Rain. Thanks.

3. What a nice idea. I rarely make playlists but from your description I'd say:

Indiana - Bad Luck and Birthday Boy (Solo Dancing for the switch up a la La Roux)
    Banks - Judas
    The 1975 - Menswear
    Tinashe - Ecstasy
    Bloc Party - Sunday
    Tori Amos - Cruel

They all have some kind of sleepy sound without being boring.

Edit: reading @mstan comment, Troye Sivan - Bite also falls in the category of "haziness" for me.

jj_, Diet Pop!, Wishlight and 7 others like this.
  4. I love this idea! I was just thinking yesterday that i'm on a shortage of artists to listen to, but in reality i have so many options that i just don't know where to begin.
    For your playlist i'd recommend Troye Sivan- Dance To This, it's maybe not the best fit but it's the first song that came to my mind. Oh and Sza-Supermodel too.
    I'd like suggestions for songs to add to this playlist i'm making. The vibe is dreamy,soft, naive, and kinda like those corny teenage movies that everybody loves/hates. I can't list the songs right now but basically it's a mix of Selena Gomez, Julia Michaels, Hailee Steinfeld etc.

AshleyKerwin and Sam like this.
  5. I missed the sleepy and hazy part of Sam's post but nevermind ddd

Wishlight, Island, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  6. I reiterate the MUNA mention : their whole album fits this bill. And their Katy remix!

Kyle., Wishlight, Ferk and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kanye West- Street lights

Coldplay - Princess of China

8. I was listening to Anna of The North's album the other day on the bus, and the entire album created this vision of a lazy day on the coast during an uncomfortable summer.

Diet Pop!, GRMusic, Island and 2 others like this.
  9. I feel like at least one of these fits the bill:

Diet Pop!, Sam and Island like this.
  10. 2014

2014 Staff Member

xxxxx

11. Hello, new aesthetic

Island, andru and 2014 like this.
  12. Sam

Sam

Ooooh yeah she supported Lorde when I saw her! I remember enjoying her set. Any specific songs?

Island and 2014 like this.
  13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Someone and Feels are the clear highlights on an album that's pretty samey, but this is quite cute too;

Sam likes this.
  14. I know these aren't very PopJustice, but I used a similar playlist last summer with a ton of Lorde, Bleachers, Raleigh Ritchie, The Killers mixed with other pop & rock stuff.

U2 - So Cruel
    U2 - Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
    Raleigh Ritchie - Young & Stupid
    Raleigh Ritchie - Bloodsport '15
    Raleigh Ritchie - The Greatest
    Bruce Springsteen - I'm On Fire [Lorde has covered this brilliantly]
    The Killers - The Way It Was

Parts of Melodrama always reminded me a bit of U2's Achtung Baby record in that the music is experimental & many of the songs sound triumphant but lyrically they're actually quite dark, focusing on failed relationships, abusive partners, betrayal, unfaithfulness, etc. Parts of 'So Cruel' I could literally envision as lyrics on a Lorde record ("The men who love you, you hate the most/they pass right through you like a ghost. They look for you, but your spirit is in the air/baby, you're nowhere." ... "Desperation is a tender trap, it gets you every time/You put your lips to her lips to stop the lie").

You might hate 'em, but figured I'd give some left-field recommendations.

And if you haven't listened to Scorpion yet,
    Drake - Summer Games

blissteria, Wishlight and Sam like this.
  15. I've thought about making a thread like this for a while now!

Lionel Ritchie - All Night Long
    Debarge - Rhythm Of The Night

...anybody help me out with similar 80s tropi-bops?

16. They seem fairly obvious, but La Isla Bonita, Africa (Toto), and Red Red Wine (UB40) come to mind. Oh, and Kokomo (Beach Boys), Do You Really Want To Hurt Me (Culture Club) & Cruel Summer (Bananarama).

Mirwais Ahmadzaï likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.