iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Maybe he can provide commentary!!! (Feel free to leave out the part where I gave it a 5/10 though haha)

DJHazey and iheartpoptarts like this.
  2. I was super happy to kind of sort of discover Solid Base. (I mean, I knew who they were, but you get the idea.) I didn't know much from them but summertime beach anthems make my life!

*runs to find the rest*

S.O.A.P. are perfect.

Can we go to Poland pretty please?

3. Come On is a track I couldn't stand. The most insipid out of the reggae-inspired /each party-themed offerings imo

Ezz, iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  4. I really didn't expect Ring-a-Ling to be the first elimination. There's far worse here. The second elimination is more like it though.

5. Not the greatest day for Denmark. Or me and my flawless co-host...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #73. Miss Papaya - Hero - 5.478

After 5: #73
    After 10: #75
    After 15: #74
    After 20: #74
    After 25: #73
    After 30: #73
    After 36: #73

Highest: 10 (@iheartpoptarts, @DJHazey) (This is why we're friends)

Lowest: 0 (@geomixes) 3 x 5 (@Hudweiser, @GhettoPrincess, @dancingwithmyself, @LPMA, @ThisIsRogue)

Album: Pink (1998) (A+ album title, Poptartjustice approved)

Producers: Honeycutt (Bambee and Toy-Box)

I love that cover. It makes me wanna go back to the 90s and raid my childhood dress-up box. Like ballerina Barbie meets Baby Spice, only with hair mascara. Remember hair mascara? That was fun. I'm going to be super 90s in this rate because I can.

Miss Papaya a.k.a. Papaya a.k.a. Linnea Handberg is our latest bubblegum dance legend to leave us. We knew these ones would be polarizing, but I don't think we quite realized the extent of it! Life is hard, etc.

Apparently Madonna's daughter was a stan back in the day. I don't know how this happened, but I guess when your Mom is Madonna you get to travel the world and pick up random CDs along the way, and of course you'd want the pink one, am I right?

Here is Papaya's very pink album called Pink. Note the iconic chair—it looks like it's bubblegum but it's actually, well, a chair.

[​IMG]

So Papaya met Madonna and got signed to Madonna's label "and suddenly all the fun was taken out of the project instantly". No, really, like, word for word. Thank you @WowWowWowWow for making me Google that.

But they did take her on a shopping spree for the purpose of the US 'Hero' video, which is totally different from the one we linked to.

It features a cute fluffy little baby dog and a bunch of Village People lookalikes. Good times.

In other amazingness, you can DDR to this song on a cake. The dance steps aren't even that hard!

We'll get back to DDR, by the way. I need to catch up with Ultimate Gamejustice but you may or may not know I stan it by now.

So anyway. Eventually Papaya got bored of bubblegum dance and moved on to the next best thing (or perhaps better, I heart both, it's a tough call), which is obvs turn-of-the-century Britney soundalikes. Here's one courtesy of @tylerc904 in the PJ00s, and we're very grateful because it appears nobody else has put them on the internet.

She says she'd be open to writing more bubblegum dance in the future—albeit for other acts. Do it do it do it do it do it. Please?

Low Scorers:

@rav4boy (4.5) - What fresh Hell is this?

@GhettoPrincess (3) - That voice is awful, the production saves it somewhat.

@Empty Shoebox (4) - If it wasn't for the repetition, this would be really forgettable.

@CasuallyCrazed (3.5) - The worst kind of Aqua rewrite. This woman’s nasal vocal isn’t a patch on Lene.

@phily693 (4) - Budget Barbie Girl?

In the Middle:

@ohnoitisnathan (5.5) - More Aqua-inspired fluff.

@Ray (5) - *in weak voice* This is… a bit like Aqua. A very tiny bit. Like 99% tiny bit.

Okay, all of y'all, we're going to have to explain this sooner or later. There is literally an entire GENRE out there that sounds like Aqua. It's called bubblegum dance and the day I discovered this was one of the best days of my pop life. Embrace it!

@Eric (5.5) - There's a fine line between cheesy genius and awful, and sadly this one falls on the wrong side.

@Seventeen Days (5) - This one isn’t doing much for me. Good and poppy, but just kind of “there”.

High Scorers:

@WowWowWowWow (8) - Oh, Miss Papaya. I only just learned from your bubblegumdancer.com interview that Maverick Records ruined everything for you in the USA. I'm sorry! Madonna should have been known how LUCKY she was to have you on her label! I bought your single anyway. As for "Hero," it's great for what it is, but I can't say it reaches the pinnacles.

I now have a newfound appreciation for Lourdes, though.

@berserkboi (7.3) - Like a prototype Aqua but not quite there…

@Sprockrooster (7) - A new track for me, but not exactly a big discovery.

@One Stop Candy Shop (7.5) - This has a slight melancholic touch which lifts it from 7 to 7.5.

@A$AP Robbie (7) - the video is incredible.

Both of them, am I right?

--

And now for more sugar! Like, a lot of sugar.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  6. Educate them!

Get your 90s life while you're at it!

Miss Papaya is an artist that is ranked as a legend in the bubblegum Eurodance circles, not far below the likes of Aqua and Toy-Box. When I first started getting into the genre I heard her voice and went "okay, maybe this a bit too much" but eventually I gave in. I can see why she'd be very polarizing for many because of this, especially hearing her for the first time. Miss Papaya, Crispy, and Tiggy were late additions to the song list by yours truly and were the ones I was most afraid of, so anybody who made even the littlest discovery here is amazing.

I just knew @iheartpoptarts would Highlight "Teddy Bear" which isn't really a fav now but I used to listen to it a ton. My ultimate favorite other than "Hero" is definitely "Cinderella".

7. I don’t think I can jump straight to ThrowingTable.gif on the third elimination, but something tells me we’ll get there. In the meantime...

[​IMG]

8. Did you have different bubblegum taste way back when? I'd love to know!

('Cinderella' is amazing too of course!)

DJHazey likes this.
  9. I think it was more of having everything get thrown at me at once back when I posted at bubblegumdancer all the time when I first got into the genre and I refined exactly which songs/artists I loved more than others over time.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  10. What year(s) was this? Curious.

(I'm trying to work out where my bubblegum taste was at the time!)

DJHazey likes this.
  11. I first joined that forum in I'd say....2009.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  12. I think I pretty much discovered bubblegum dance (aside from the few songs that made it in Canada) circa early 2008-ish! And so university me went on a downloading spree and had lots of super happy running music but totally didn't cross paths with you on the internet.

WowWowWowWow, berserkboi and DJHazey like this.
  13. It was amazing back then, every few months or so we'd have a big skype party and play games like 'name that tune' and stuff. When bubblegum stopped being released over time, people stopped posting more and more s sadly the community went on to do other things.

14. I think the world is due for a bubblegum comeback. It's that time again!

WowWowWowWow, DJHazey and berserkboi like this.
  15. From my rate home country to my real-life one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #72. Capital Sound - Higher Love - 5.658

After 5: #73
    After 10: #73
    After 15: #72
    After 20: #72
    After 25: #72
    After 30: #72
    After 36: #72

Highest: 10 (@DJHazey) (We heart you Hazey!)

Lowest: 1 (@CasuallyCrazed) 2 x 2 (@One Stop Candy Shop, @Aester)

Album: Sussex Drive (1994) (They're so Canada, am I right?)

Producers: Michel Picard (of Capital Sound)

Capital Sound hail from Ottawa, and I literally just realized why they go by Capital Sound. Ottawa is the capital of Canada. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.

They were obviously working the Ottawa angle hard, because the album's called Sussex Drive, which is the street in Ottawa where the Prime Minister of Canada lives. Or at least is supposed to. I don't think Trudeau does because the house is old and why bother. Anyway.

This is where I fail at Canada a little bit. I thought I'd first heard of them when @DJHazey played them for me on plug.dj like "They're from Ontario!" and I said I had no idea who they were. But I'm wrong—they actually made an appearance on my childhood dance compilation Dance Mix 96!

Which is totally not as good as Dance Mix 95, which I'll be name-checking in this rate till the very end, but still. It features Fun Factory, Emjay, and for some reason Coolio.

Capital Sound put out two albums of Eurodance, in between which one of the lead singers went solo and made more Eurodance. Here she is performing on Electric Circus, which is the most I-grew-up-in-the-90s-in-Canada TV show ever. The dance tunes are cranking...

(Somebody will get the reference. I hope. Is anybody else from Canada? @LPMA save me.)

They also once won a Juno Award, which I assume non-Canadians have possibly maybe heard of these days because Carly Rae Jepsen.

In other randomness, that single cover looks super 80s, and it reminds me of that one joke in How I Met Your Mother about the 80s not making it to Canada until 1993. Let's go to the mall!

—Love, the Official Robin Sparkles of Popjustice

(No, really, we did this in PJ00s one time. It was a thing.)

Low Scorers:

@One Stop Candy Shop (2) - Okay it's getting obvious that the UK/Canada part is the rate's nadir. Not good.

*cries in igloo*

@Cutlery (3.6) - The rapping is absolute garbage and brings this down A LOT

Like an alien visit from outer space!

@Seventeen Days (4) - This just sounds like a Real McCoy ripoff, which I suppose a lot of Eurodance bands did back in the day. But they aren’t even doing it that well. .

In the Middle:

Well, a lot of people heard ripoffs of one thing or other...

@Hudweiser (5) - Not very interesting, does anyone else hear a little of Maxx's Get-a-Way in there though?

@ohnoitisnathan (6.5) - Better musically than vocally. A Maxx knock-off, obviously.

@Ray (5.5) - IS THIS A WHITE RAPPER?! Don’t they UNDERSTAND how this genre works? (Quite solid song, still.)

They learned it from Maxx, obviously!

@WowWowWowWow (5) - Sorry @iheartpoptarts but the Canada section had the most artists and songs I had never heard before the rate! Bad southernly neighbor that I am. This one......... feels like what an In Living Color parody of a Eurodance song would look and sound like? If they increased the BPM a bit, I might be here for it a little more.

I really can't complain—@DJHazey knows the Canada stuff better than I do!

@Sprockrooster (6) - A bit out there.

High Scorers:

Well, high-ish...

@berserkboi (7.3) - A little by the numbers by EuroDance standards!

@Empty Shoebox (7) - Don't remember / didn't know this act at all. This seems okay, but not particularly exciting to me.

@phily693 (7.5) - I just wished it popped off in the chorus and it’d have been an easy 10.

---
    Here's the one we just kicked out, in case you forgot...

And more bops! I'll save 'Sussex Drive' the song for when @DJHazey (hopefully) gets the next Capital Sound elimination—it's his PJOPS legacy, not mine!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  16. There are some genuinely terrible songs in this rate and yet most eliminations so far have been average/decent ones... I find it a bit perplexing. Maybe I just have a different view since I'm not really into the genre, I guess.

17. The thing is, I'm not sure you guys managed to reach a consensus on what the terrible songs are...

*wink*

DJHazey likes this.
  18. So far, I have struggled to remember any of the songs eliminated beyond the one with Ding Dong! Hopefully no favourites go early!!

19. Priorities.

DJHazey and berserkboi like this.
  20. Awful start to be honest.

DJHazey likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.