iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END | Page 32 | The Popjustice Forum

iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Here's an act we haven't seen before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #59. Fun Factory - I Wanna B With U - 6.432

After 5: #34
    After 10: #30
    After 15: #51
    After 20: #61
    After 25: #69
    After 30: #68
    Final: #59

Highest: 10 x 2 (@iheartpoptarts, @Conan) 9.6 x 1 (@berserkboi) 9 x 2 (@WowWowWowWow, @rav4boy)

Lowest: 0 x 1 (@geomixes) 2 x 2 (@Empty Shoebox, @Ray)

Album: Fun-Tastic (1995)

Best Charts: #45 (US), #18 (Austria), #12 (Finland), #11 (Germany), #25 (Iceland)

Producers: Team 33 (Darkness, 2 Eivissa)

Y'all know Fun Factory. "Bang bang bang, here we come, here we slam! It's the Fun Factory with the BSB!"

...At least, that's one of the first things I associate them with in my head. See, @DJHazey? I can fit boybands in everywhere.

Fun Factory got their start in the early 90s. They released a single or two before lead singer Balca Tozun "left" the group and was replaced with French model Marie-Anett Mey. It was later confirmed that Balca had provided Marie-Anett's vocals the whole time.

See the blonde? She doesn't sing on any of this. Oh, Eurodance.

Meanwhile, member Smooth T a.k.a. Toni Cottura produced not only the Backstreet Boys masterpiece above, but also the *NSYNC singles 'Here We Go' and 'U Drive Me Crazy'. In other words, he's boyband royalty without actually being in a boyband.

When @DJHazey wakes up to this post he's gonna fire me. Just kidding. Hehe.

At one point Smooth T was married to 90s dance artist Daisy Dee. (Thanks @ohnoitisnathan and your many YouTube channels!) It's a small world, after all.

'I Wanna B With U' was the soundtrack to every 90s kid's summer waterpark adventures (or mine, anyway) and you guys better stan. But did you?

What's Up?:

@ohnoitisnathan (7) - Obviously from the era where everyone wanted to sound like Ace of Base, with the reggae elements.

My fave genre is Ace of Base. No, really, I mean it!

@Sprockrooster (8) - Juvenile in a good way.

@phily693 (7) - I was NOT expecting this! A lovely change of pace, it’s surprisingly low-key and groovy.

@WowWowWowWow (9) - Demonstrating that versatility of our Eurodance acts! Who knew you could do midtempo etc. etc.

@berserkboi (9.6) - great discovery

And because all our Euro summer bops sound a bit alike, and I'm not complaining...

@Cutlery (8.4) - Sex on the Beach whomst?? This is where it’s at

@sfmartin (7) - A cute Vengaboys lite song.​

What's Wrong?:

@CasuallyCrazed (6.5) - Couldn’t escape this on the radio in the 90s, but its aged poorly.

@Empty Shoebox (2) - The male vocals here are horrible, and the way that the female vocals are mixed is completely putting me off this song.

@Seventeen Days (5.25) - *sigh* another song with that mid-tempo reggae-tinged beat that I just can’t get into. I gave a bonus point for the little chime intro, because that was my favorite part.

I love them, so you can blame me!

@One Stop Candy Shop (4) - Still not a fan.

@Ray (2) - Poor Ace of Base.

---

I present you with the other Fun Factory summer jam singles. The first one is so totally Ace of Base.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. What is wrong with ya’ll?

Also fun fact about me: I used to be obsessed with Smile.dk and I used to have all of their discography on my old laptop so there’s that

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  3. I have their discography in CD form, some of them were expensive as I had to buy the imports off Amazon.

@iheartpoptarts -- You're not fired, you're doing flawless! I'm guessing the "this one is for Hazey" is "Kissy Kissy" which is indeed my all-time favorite Smiel.dk song, just ahead of "Dragonfly" and "Koko Soko".

We're going slow down a little today and there will be just one reveal tonight from @iheartpoptarts and then it'll be just one dayside and one nightside reveal for most days this week.

4. I didn't vote but this needs a Better Off Alone, Dreamer and No Limit top 3 please and thank you.

soratami, 2014, sfmartin and 5 others like this.
  5. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

Butterfly deserved a bit better than that. Even my gamer-y friends who are usually clueless about pop music remember it and love it.

6. Smile.dk's best song is this amazing schlager-disco stomper. The lyrics make no sense, but it's Smile.dk so why care.

7. It's because you're at work and you can't see the boyband videos. *wink*

Well then we'd better post those too!

---

Smile.dk Party - @DJHazey Edition

8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Yasss at me not having any major losses so far!

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  9. Besides Capital Sound and Emjay, the other Canadian eurodance act that I came across at the time was DFS

10. Oh there will be another Canadian eurodance act in the 09s rendition for sure.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  11. One of our regions is safe no longer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #58. Eiffel 65 - Move Your Body - 6.450

After 5: #47
    After 10: #31
    After 15: #57
    After 20: #49
    After 25: #64
    After 30: #61
    Final: #58

Highest: 10 x 5 (@iheartpoptarts, @DJHazey, @CasuallyCrazed, @31entrance, @Untouchable Ace)

Lowest: 0 x 2 (@geomixes, @Ray) 1 x 1 (@LPMA)

Album: Europop (1999)

Best Charts: #3 (UK), #1 (Italy), #4 (Australia), #1 (Austria), #1 (France), #4 (Germany), #6 (New Zealand), #8 (Sweden), #2 (Switzerland)

Producers: Luciano Zucchet and Massimo Gabutti (J.K.)

Oh heyyyyy, it's that Eiffel 65 song that isn't 'Blue'! With 'Move Your Body', they became a one-hit wonder no more—unless you're American, that is.

In their native Italy, before Eiffel 65 was Eiffel 65, they met at the Bliss Corporation. It's a hit music factory, "Stargate for Italian future bass". I got that bit off the BlissCo YouTube channel so we'll just have to take their word for it.

Lead singer Jeffrey Jey got his start with the BlissCo group Bliss Team. I could post their Eurodance 'Livin' on a Prayer' cover, but I'm nice.

In 1997, Bliss Team went their separate ways, and Eiffel was born. Then they accidentally picked up a 65 when a producer wrote down part of a phone number on something they sent to be graphic designed.

We all know what happened next. Eiffel 65 'Blue' up. (I'm sorry, that was horrible. It's 2 a.m., okay?)

Follow-up 'Move Your Body' features a concert on an alien planet because what else would we expect?

The main alien, by the way, is named Zorotl. He has quite the complicated backstory, but it's probably best saved for the 'Blue' writeup!

Moving:

@CasuallyCrazed (10) - I might even prefer this to Blue. Infectious earworm.

@WowWowWowWow (9) - As my scores demonstrate, I thought that this was a much better song for the Eiffels than Blue. I know Blue had the whole "going viral before going viral was a thing" thing going for it, but I wonder if maybe they would have been taken more seriously if they premiered with this song? Oh well. I asked for Europop for Christmas one year and I know one of my friends had to hold her nose to buy it for me. Whatever, lady! Go listen to your mopey guitar stuff while I bop.

I'll bop with you!

@31entrance (10) - not me forgetting the mere existence of this song when I used to get my life to it now excuse me while I re-download it.

@phily693 (6.5) - This isn’t as awful as I was expecting it to be!

@berserkboi (8.3) - Very good too

@Sprockrooster (7) - This should be much more exhausting cause it is so repetitive, but it works for some reason.

And did we mention it sounds like 'Blue'...?

@One Stop Candy Shop (7) - A very blatant rehash of Blue Da Ba Dee but it bops a bit nonetheless.

@ohnoitisnathan (8.5) - Pretty much an inferior re-hash of 'Blue', but still pretty good.

@sfmartin (9) - Another cracker. A retread of the formula but im not complaining, the breakdown is great.

@Empty Shoebox (9) - This is a great example of following up a hit with something very similar. I'm very forgiving with that sort of thing though, hence the high score. The CGI in the video is still terrifying though. I prefer some of the remixes.

Like this one:

Moving Away:

@rav4boy (5) - Quick! Let’s cash in on the success of our previous song with this rushed, basic shit!

@Seventeen Days (3) - I really don’t want to judge this band based on one bad song, but this does absolutely nothing for me either. I usually love vocoders, but on this song that effect is just… grating.

@Cutlery (3.9) - This doesn’t have an instrumental nearly as engaging as its predecessor, and the unbearability of the vocal performance is upped to the max. In three words: boring and weird

@Ray (0) - Gosh, the Eiffel 65 scores are ruining my average for this section!

---

Other notable non-'Blue' songs (but not 'Too Much of Heaven' because I don't like it, hehe):

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  12. The best non-'Blue' Eiffel 65 track I've heard, and a PJ00s discovery for me (the only round I've participated in to date):

13. That's from my PJOPS, yessssssss. (Courtesy of @Empty Shoebox, not me!)

14. Oops, PJOPS then.

I thought it might have been too good to be PJ00s

soratami, iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  15. Of course, we can't forget Eiffel 65's ridiculous PlayStation song

At this point of course I am contractually bound to remind you that Other Video Game Hardware is available, but Eiffel 65 did not release any songs about them.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  16. As if this is the 1st Italian out!

I MUST check them out.

17. Aww I like that Fun Factory one.

I think.

Shocked at Maxx's exit, but that rap is 'divisive' to say the least.

18. The best non-Blue Eiffel 65 is and always will be this sad face on the disco moody electro banger

19. I don’t care if they sound the same but Move Your Body >>> Blue

I can’t believe it was my 11 for a while until I changed it later, good call huh?

20. My little brother was obsessed with Blue (Da Ba Dee) when he was little so I can't hear the song (or even read the name) without thinking of him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.