iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Who knows, maybe he sought permission from the building owners and they all agreed because it made their establishments look badass.

I'd let DJ Bobo graffiti my nightclub or something.

(I do not own a nightclub.)

(Too bad, it'd have the best music ever.)

2. Ddd, yes he got an official graffiti permit or something and would never do anything illegal.

The 'us starting a pop music label where we wouldn't let our artists ever become boring' teas.

soratami and iheartpoptarts like this.
  3. It got a special, virtually minus BoBo @WowWowWowWow (i.e. all of the 'rap' parts removed and the chorus repeated umpteen times in their place), mix for its UK release, and a new video with BoBo virtually removed from it too. It was on one of my YouTube channels briefly in late 2015/early 2016, but was soon blocked by the record company. I need to re-upload it to Vimeo some day.

4. Let's have our label start a nightclub and play all our own artists.

ohnoitisnathan and DJHazey like this.
  5. The first nightclub would be inside the main offices.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  6. We're so not going to get any work done. We can hire people to do it for us.

Can we have a video game room too? And maybe a rooftop pool?

DJHazey likes this.
  7. Video game room, karaoke room, ice cream sundae bar with any topping you want, candy room, movie theater, etc.

8. We're practically a cruise ship at this point. Amazing.

DJHazey likes this.
  9. That Alane reference in the commentary really takes me back. I was really into Wes back in the day, I remember I was so excited when I managed to find his album. It was one of the first albums I ever got, along with the likes of the Spice Girls and Alexia... and, appropriately, Aqua and Corona.

Bop!

10. I'll tell you what won't be playing at the iHeartHazey HQ rooftop pool...​

Unless @DJHazey is out of the office, that is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #56. T-Spoon - Sex on the Beach - 6.461

After 5: #66
    After 10: #67
    After 15: #50
    After 20: #51
    After 25: #62
    After 30: #63
    Final: #56

Highest: 10 x 4 (@iheartpoptarts, @2014, @phily693, @Remorque) 9.8 x 1 (@berserkboi) 9.5 x 1 (@OspreyQueen)

Lowest: 0 x 2 (@Ray, @Untouchable Ace) 1 x 1 (@ohnoitisnathan) 2 x 1 (@soratami)

Album: The Hit Collection (1997)

Best Charts: #2 (UK), #4 (Belgium), #3 (Ireland), #5 (Netherlands), #6 (New Zealand), #3 (Scotland)

Producers: Serge Ramaekers and Dominic Sas (Cartouche)

@DJHazey pretty much had T-Spoon covered, so let's talk about sex. On the beach. It's their signature hit. It's also a cocktail, and unlike Joe Jonas and friends, these people know what it's called.

It was also released as 'Fun on the Beach', presumably because some listeners weren't supposed to know what it's called.

[​IMG]

Still a better idea than DNCE's.

T-Spoon seemed to get that this was their song. In 2004, they put out 'Sex on the Beach 2004'. It's got vaguely Sean Paul-inspired instrumentation because 2004.

As of the last few years, they're still doing what they do best. Their 2016 comeback release, a clear nod to 90s nostalgia, is full of knockoffs of stuff in this rate and it's amazing.

'Summertime' is the usual T-Spoon beach anthem. 'Shanghai' is Smile.dk except China. 'One Night' is an 'Another Night' wannabe. 'The Cowboy Song' is 'Cotton Eye Joe'. You should turn it off after that.

(No, seriously, you don't need to hear whatever 'Pussycat Lollidoll' is.)

In 2017, T-Spoon came up with a winter version entitled 'Sex in the Snow'. Quick poll - which would you rather have?

It contains yodelling and for some reason cows.

On the Beach:

@phily693 (10) - Coming from a very Irish Catholic family, we weren’t allowed to swear or sing anything about sex or anything like that. So my sister (who was 6/7) and I (I would’ve been 3/4) would instead sing “I wanna have ice cream on the beach” so as to not get into trouble with our mum. I get that she didn’t want us to sing “sex” but by censoring us when we didn’t even have a clue what sex was just made us more suspicious and drew attention to this “bad” thing. It didn’t help matters when our older sister would always say “sure Sex On The Beach is a drink mum” which just made her angrier. Because of this, it often got skipped in the car while listening to our 90s hits cassette.

I guess 'Fun on the Beach' never made it to Ireland!

@A$AP Robbie (9) - This came out when I was 11, and to my ears it sounded preposterously filthy, and when a girl bought in the CD single to school, we thought it was incredible that she was able to get it, which seems cutely ridiculous now.

@Remorque (10) - God, the Ace Of Base-ness of it all... I still remember seeing whole bunches of people doing the dance to this one. We were all doing it and shouting along, having had none of the sex they were singing about at 15... Oh, the days.

@WowWowWowWow (8) - Summery and fun, although 20 years on, the idea of someone saying in a song "I gave her Cuba Libre, now she does everything I say" is a liiiiiiiiittle too "Baby It's Cold Outside" for my liking. One of the many songs that I discovered and fell in love with after I saved up my paltry CVS afterschool job paychecks and bought a 2 CD import set called "The Best Dance Album In The World... Ever!! (Part 9)" (https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Best-Dance-Album-In-The-World-Ever-Part-9/release/1638513) -- you would have thought the fact that there were already 9 parts might have made me question how "best ever" this really would be, but in the pre-Spotify, pre-Napster, pre-cable modem days, that album was like a lifeline to the music world in the places that I wasn't fortunate enough to be born in.

Maybe not the best dance album in the world, but it's up there. It's got three of our songs and B*Witched on it.

@GhettoPrincess (7) - This is so cringe but a classic at the same time. I can’t believe they used to play this for children, what an upbringing.

@sfmartin (9) - I remember being a school kid and this literally being pure scandal. Infectious is the word. I'm sure we're not long off this being sampled in the present. "Oh aye oh aye oh" chant is impossible not to enjoy.

The tropical house wave could've been so much better if only it had brought back 90s Euro summer bops.

@Empty Shoebox (7) - This one makes me laugh, so I increased its score. I know, I normally have a sense of humour failure with novelty records, especially those as in-your-face as this one, but I'll let this one pass.

@berserkboi (9.8) - Love this.

@rav4boy (8) - I genuinely like this song. Everything just seems to fit so well

@One Stop Candy Shop (8) - “I met a girl named Eden, she came straight from Sweden.”

I couldn't find one. I searched Scandipop and everything.

@Sprockrooster (9) - There is so much nostalgia encapsuled in this little song. A bit of a dirty song to sing along as a child, but I thought it was about the cocktail ddd. I was so damn innocent. I do like that cocktail by the way.

On the Fence:

@CasuallyCrazed (4.25) - The poppers-o-clock tempo makes me feel woozy but there's a strong melody there.

@Cutlery (7) - The reggae influences are definitely… interesting

On the Way Out:

@Ray (0) - 1. Take ‘All That She Wants’. 2. Remove everything that was ever good about it. 3. $UCCE$$!!!

You didn't even go with the best Ace of Base song!

@Seventeen Days (3.25) - It has that tropical faux-reggae sound that a lot of tracks seemed to have in the late 90s. Not feeling it, teebs.

@ohnoitisnathan (1) - A weird combination of 'Coco Jamboo', morning TV programming aimed at children female chorus vocals, bad male rap, and risque lyrics (given the otherwise aimed-at-young-children sound). Not for me.

@Hudweiser (2.5) - My favorite cocktail, no contest. But I hate this song, good as that melody is.

Oh, and for what it's worth? I'm sure @DJHazey will wanna head out with y'all!

---

Here's 'Sex on the Beach' and one more for the summer!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  11. Seriously, HOW is this classic out already???

12. And here's the bonus 1999 Max Martin soundalike I was going to post before I realized I was out of embeds.

13. I know a boy named Edin that came straight from Sweden, but this isn’t a Melodifestivalen thread.

14. I'd go to the beach with him to be honest.

15. As the 33rd voter, how did my 0 push this up to #56.

I'd also like it noted that I gave Get-A-Way a 9.9, I am a high scorer.
    It was too new to me to give it a 10.

16. 2014

2014 Staff Member

NOOOOOOOO you prudes Sex On The Beach is incredible!!

17. I agree with @Ray, but I definitely would've chosen a better Ace of Base as song to make my argument like @iheartpoptarts pointed out, instead of the one that I can never get past sounding like she's literally talking about giving birth.

Bless @Sprockrooster for assuming it was about the cocktail, ddd.

@WowWowWowWow - that CD is all kinds of amazing simply because it has "9PM (Till I Come)" which was one of the first dance songs I ever threw on a mixed CD. I still remember my commutes to college with it playing.

Also "Eden from Sweden" no no no, it's Inga From Sweden!

(seriously everyone click play, you'll be laughing your asses off, I promise and yes I listen to this unironically too)

18. This song's sister, Coco Jamboo is still in, right?

19. Absolutely.

Just so everyone knows the songs eliminated and still in are both on the first page at all times.

20. T-Spoon Recap

65. A Part of My Life - 6.231
    56. Sex on the beach - 6.461

Highest: @berserkboi (9.25) - @OspreyQueen (8.75) - @phily693 (8.75)

Lowest: @Ray (1.25) - @ohnoitisnathan (4) - @Seventeen Days (4.13)

Artist Ranking

DJ Bobo - 6.458
    T-Spoon - 6.346
    Bambee - 6.303
    Twenty 4 Seven - 6.292
    Maxx - 6.236
    Technotronic - 6.228
    Smile.dk - 6.139
    Crispy - 6.108
    Capital Sound - 5.889
    Miss Papaya - 5.478
    Tiggy - 5.289​

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.