A lot of people seem to think their 11 is safe. I think they might be a bit too comfortable with that..
No one should feel 100% safe if this song can leave this early..
Live footage of me about be launched from this rate..
That's right, the very first 11 is mine.
#48. Toy-Box - The Sailor Song - 6.817
#39 (So not only is my 11 gone, as you can it was usually ranked MUCH higher but some heathens came in decided to tank it. As it is, I can say this was clearly under-ranked.)
Highest: 11 (DJHazey)
10 x 6 (@iheartpoptarts
, @Ana Raquel
) 9.5 (@One Stop Candy Shop
Easily the most perfect scores we've had yet, so the haters need to know how well loved this song is!
) 1 x 2 (@ThisIsRogue
If we take these horrendous opinions out of the equation then The Sailor Song skyrockets into the Top 30. That's how close the leaderboard is folks!
Golden Child aka Per Holm (Cut 'n' Move, Me & My)
We covered who Toy-Box is the last time around and I've already told you about Aneela's solo work (seriously check out the album) now let's just get into why I gave this song my 11.
Well it was really down to two songs in the end. One song is sonically a favorite but doesn't necessarily means as much to me as this one, so the decision became clear. That other song is going to do much better anyway (spoiler) so I figured this might need my help. I knew the bubblegum dance section would be polarizing, maybe not this bad, but I know it's not for everyone especially if you're hearing it for the first time now instead back in the 90s.
Back in around 2008, I joined bubblegumdancer.com when I started re-visiting old Eurodance like "Barbie Girl" and started getting comfortable with the idea that this 'crazy' style of dance music was speaking to me and I needed more of it fast. Little did I know that there are literally thousand of acts that were inspired by the success of Aqua and starting popping up all over Europe. In the same way that Christina is often discussed in the same breathe as Britney, or Tiffany with Debbie Gibson, or The Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Well in bubblegum dance land it's Aqua and Toy-Box. If you wanted to join Popjustice years ago, you needed to be fans of Girls Aloud and Sugababes, well these were the two bands you needed to love to be taken seriously on bubblegumdancer, well they're all nice and welcome everyone, but yeah these are 'royalty acts' and everyone's gateway into the music.
It didn't take long for me to blind-sided by "The Sailor Song" and it's cousin song in their discography "Russian Lullaby". Something about the dramatic-sounding vocals from Amir and their contrast to Aneela's became such a whirlwind and it's something that is often present in a lot of bubblegum dance. Not only is "The Sailor Song" probably my #1 most played song in the genre, but it's one of my most played pop songs of any kind. I type this and have no idea why I didn't put it into my Ultimate Top 20 (it's hard to narrow your favorite songs to 20!).
I'm a family oriented guy and so I often spend a lot of time with my parents to this day and we take many car rides 'upta camp' in the summer (we own a log cabin on a lake) and various other travels around the area. I'm the music guy for these trips, they love upbeat pop music and I've always provided it of course. Though they might not remember who many of the songs are by or anything like that, they do remember their favorites. So my Dad, he loves electronic dance music if the beats and synths are hard and go for it and also if it's just ultra catchy. His 11 in this rate would be "We Like to Party" but it only narrowly beats this. In fact, I'm surprised he said that. Every single car ride we go on there are two songs that MUST be played from the time we leave to the time we arrive at our destination. 1) "Gimme Gimme Gimme" by the A*Teens for my Mom (that's right she loves ABBA but the teen version is her favorite) 2) This song for my Dad. It's become a ritual and we all know every word and all sing it loudly. For that reason alone the 11 could go nowhere else and I'm sure you understand it. It's sad that I have to be the first to lose my 11, but as you know I have several other favorites to root for along the way.
Gambling, Stealing, Lots of Sex-Appealing:
(8) - See I know people always rag on music like this, but I feel like this song is not-so-secretly brilliant. Like, it has the lyrics "We all come together just for you" and it is supposedly being sung by a chorus of seamen. If U Seek Amy found rotting!!!
Yes, it's funny when I have to explain that to someone. It's another example of how dirty-minded the subgenre is and not really aimed at children like people often think.
(8.7) - Fun!
(5) - This is super camp and earns extra points for that.
(10) - The sailor song is kinda special to me because it was the song which made me listen to eurodance nowadays, thanks to a AMV.
So glad I discovered you're "new member" page and invited you. *hugs*
(8) - I feel like I should hate this but it actually bops pretty hard. Help.
(10) - Breasts, Boobs, Sailors, Muppets, Titanic, an unexpected rave treat!
Your other low scores so far are forgiven! Yas, the seagull/pelican thing is the star of the video.
(8) - It sounds like a Aqua rip off but I still bop. That video, James Cameron hew?
One of my favorite videos ever.
(6) - I went to school with someone who worked on a ship, and I can tell you that jumping on the railings is not usually tolerated, despite sailing being really boring. The instrumentation on this is a bit better than their other efforts I think.
(5) - Pretty much the same as “Best Friend”, but they got an extra 1.25 points for homoerotic undertones.
(7) - A bit sad this was chosen over Tarzan and Jane, cause that would have been an 11-contender. This is reminding me of Captain Jack though and I am getting life therefore because of it.
Love that too, but not nearly on the same level as this. We'd have to change you back to Denmark too. Heck, you're still Danish in spirit.
@One Stop Candy Shop
(9.5) - It's one of my least favourite songs off Fantastic but still a high score because it's Toy-Box. I guess my main gripe with it is that Anila isn't featured enough in the chorus. Tarzan & Jane, Best Friend, Super-Duper-Man, What About, Earth Wind Water & Fire, Eenie Meenie Miney Mo are all 10s!
Yes, support bubblegum a bit! Out of those I choose Eenie Meenie Miney Mo for sure.
(9) - finally the sea shanty gangbang eurobanger I never knew i wanted.
(7) - Kind of like the Village People meet Eurodance, lead by a helium-voiced robot and a clone of the guy from Aqua.
Doesn't sound like a bad thing, so I'll take as a compliment.
(10) - Another guilty pleasure. Sailor Man you really turn me on as well.
I'm betting you'd really like the "Tarzan and Jane" video then.
That's Not a Knife! This Is A Knife:
(4) - Very Pet Shop Boys “New York City Boy” - endearingly camp but fails to come together so to speak.
I see what you did there, points for the pun shade.
(1) - I can’t at this. Village People found still having their wigs.
But wait but-but-but someone just said it's like pet Shop Boys, that should be your thing, come on now!
(4) - Is this a parody or something?
Welcome to bubblegum dance which is always a parody, an amazing parody.
(1) - Of course they're from Denmark as well. Obviously trying to ape some of Aqua's success, but failing miserably because they lack the charisma, fun and production/writing talent of Aqua. Terrible.
Yeah, they had enough success to say that didn't fail epically. They had their own style and they knew it but yes they tried to do what was popular at the time.
My other major Toy-Box favorite, "Russian Lullaby".
Best Friend- 6.118
The Sailor Song - 6.817
(10) - DJHazey
(10) - @31entrance
(0) - @Ray
(0.5) - @CasuallyCrazed
Koko - 6.808
Le Click - 6.617
Hit 'n' Hide - 6.497
Toy-Box - 6.467
DJ Bobo - 6.458
Emjay - 6.442
T-Spoon - 6.346
Bambee - 6.303
Twenty 4 Seven - 6.292
Maxx - 6.236
Technotronic - 6.228
Smile.dk - 6.139
Crispy - 6.108
Solid Base - 6.010
Capital Sound - 5.889
Miss Papaya - 5.478
Tiggy - 5.289