iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END | Page 41 | The Popjustice Forum

iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Jun 9, 2018.

1. That Vengaboys song was definitely the weakest of the 3 included in the rate, leave the other two well alone for a while please.

2. Oh Cappella... such great memories.

Tell Me the Way, Move It Up, U & Me were all great singles. They seemed all over the place though - U Got 2 Know is in an entirely different league.

3. Move It Up, Move On Baby and Tell Me The Way are my favourite Cappella songs.

I always preferred the Move singles to the U Got 2 singles!

iheartpoptarts, DJHazey and Hudweiser like this.
  4. I wonder how many eurodance titles you could make by combining or repeating the following words?
    Everybody get ready to move it on up to the music baby

5. Somehow I ended up with this next song despite the fact that I gave it a 6 and my lovely co-host gave it a 10. In fact, it's a song that anybody would think I'd love instantly but it's never been the case..

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #42. Me & My - Dub-I-Dub - 7.053
    After 5: #48
    After 10: #42
    After 15: #58
    After 20: #57
    After 25: #53
    After 30: #48
    Final: #42

Voting Average: #51 (Definitely ends being overrated in my opinion and this reflects it)

Highest: 10 x 3 (@iheartpoptarts, @WowWowWowWow, @Remorque) 9.5 (@31entrance)

Lowest: 3 x 2 (@geomixes, @Empty Shoebox) 5 x 3 (@sfmartin, @idratherjack, @LPMA)

This is the first time in a long time or maybe ever that @Empty Shoebox has been low scorer, maybe we've finally found a rate that de-frosted her icy heart. x

Album: Me & My (1995)

Top Charts: #1 (Denmark) #2 (Sweden) #5 (Belgium) #11 (Austria) #12 (Norway) #14 (Switzerland) #16 (Finland)

Producers: Johnny Jam (Aqua, Daze, Hit 'n' Hide) Dean 'N (Dr. Bombay, Tiggy, Smile.dk, Toy-Box, Daze)

Me & My were originally known as the SuPer Sisters and even released two albums in 1989/1990 under that name before becoming the bubblegum dance act Me & My. This was in fact because Susanne and Pernille Georgi are sisters (SuPer combining their names). They tried to enter the Eurovision Song Contest in 1991, but Susanne was only 15 at the time and ineligible. The song they were going to sing finished second in the Danish final.

Despite the fact that most bubblegum dance fans tout Aqua as being the pioneers for bubblegum dance, it was actually Me & My that were one of the first recognized acts of the subgenre and one of the longest running too. Me & My broke through with the success of "Dub-I-Dub" which has become one of the more inescapable songs of the 90s. They received Gold certifications both at home and in Japan where they were wildly popular. Me & My wrote most of their own material and recognized the kind of pop revolution they were starting in Denmark with acts like Aqua on the horizon: "Our number "Dub I Dub" opened doors, not only for us but also for a lot of other Danish bands" said Pernille.

They would go on to have some success with each of their subsequent albums Let the Love Go On (1999) and Fly High (2001 but nothing came close to what they did with their debut. In 2007 Me & My finally had a chance to enter the Danski Melodi Grand Prix with "two Are Stronger Than One" and despite being bookmaker's favorites they only finished 6th in the semifinal.

I've always found "Dub-I-Dub" to be the wrong kind of repetitive to my ears and it's probably why they are one of the few big names in bubblegum dance that I've yet to hear the discography for. I respect them for the wave of amazing music they helped bring forth but the song they're most famous for has always be low-key grating to me, but at the same time more in line with the kind of pop I enjoy which is why I wasn't as harsh as I could've been.

Dub-I-Dub-I-Dub-I-Yeah-Yeah:

@WowWowWowWow (10) - OK, were they trying to boost the Danish dairy industry or something? The video concerns me. I also love the song that they had in 2007 DMGP "Two Are Stronger Than One." Very earwormtastic.

Of course you'd already know about their song contest adventures.

@CasuallyCrazed (8.5) - The 2nd best dup-dup-dup lyrics of the rate. Utterly infectious.

@Seventeen Days (7) - I don’t know why, but these “random syllables” hooks are really doing it for me.

Welcome to the Basic Bops Alliance.

@Ray (9) - Gods, it only took me two decades to get rid of this chorus, and now it’s back in my head. I HATE YOU.

Oops!

@One Stop Candy Shop (7.5) - So this is quite well known isn't it? Good song, but no top favourite.

@ohnoitisnathan (9) - Catchy, and best used of a cow in a music video since Eurythmics' 'Sweet Dreams'.

And "the patron cow" is the best use of it as a lyric in a song. (Scooter)

@Cutlery (9) - [​IMG]

Dub-I-Dub-I-Dub-No-No:

@phily693 (6) - Catchy chorus but it gets annoying fast.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

@Sprockrooster (6) - Scatman worked the magic better.

@Empty Shoebox (3) - Thoroughly unimpressed with this one. There's nothing here that I like at all.

@sfmartin (5) - Average. Doesn't got anywhere.

@berserkboi (6.9) - Gets a bit annoying after a while.

This was the only other solid hit as far as charting outside of Denmark.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  6. Hazeyyyyyyyyyyyy. You know you could've just given it to me and taken the day off, hehe. I can't wait to drag one of your faves!

I had no idea about this by the way. I'm gonna hunt them down!

berserkboi, WowWowWowWow and DJHazey like this.
  7. That's Thursday!

Maybe I strategically scheduled so you couldn't. *wink*

WowWowWowWow and iheartpoptarts like this.
  8. Remind me to keep a closer eye on the schedule. *wink*

berserkboi, WowWowWowWow and DJHazey like this.
  9. Ahw. Sad about Capella...

DJHazey and iheartpoptarts like this.
  10. I have three words for you HEARTLESS HEATHENS

[​IMG]

11. Was "bubblegum" a term for the genre at the time or has that label been applied to the music retrospectively? A bit like "sophistipop" is now used to describe late 80s jazzy wine bar type acts but no one would have known what you were talking about at the time.

I only ask as Aqua aside it really wasn't a thing in the UK!

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  12. If anyone knows the history of the term "bubblegum dance", @DJHazey will!

(And if he doesn't, he'll know exactly who to ask, I'm sure!)

DJHazey and idratherjack like this.
  13. I believe it was a known thing at the time, but I'm not 100% sure if everyone called it that because I wasn't in Europe during the time and discovered the music myself after its popularity ended for the most part. It's based off 'bubblegum pop' of the 1950s so I'm sure the connection led to the naming of it. Many acts, when changing their sound to more of a trance style would often say "they wanted to leave the bubblegum sound" behind so I think it was in the musical language of the time to at least some extent.

14. Interesting, I had certainly never heard of it at the time! I think the reason the bubblegum dance acts did so badly here was that it was never popular in the UK, apart from Aqua, and is an acquired taste. I bought the Toy-Box Best Friend CD single at the time but other than that I don't remember ever hearing about it or seeing the acts on TV, in magazines etc.

DJHazey and iheartpoptarts like this.
  15. The worst thing anyone does ever!

Here in Canada, Aqua were massive and Daze and Hit 'n' Hide had one song on the radio each and that was about it! It was such a moment for me to randomly uncover the whole genre on the internet.

16. Oh I bought Daze and Together Forever on CD single too which I loved! What's not to like about an ode to your Tamagotchi?!

17. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I can't at We're Going To Ibop-za being out already! Also that video is iconic!

berserkboi, Ezz, DJHazey and 3 others like this.
  18. I remember seeing Toybox on "The Box" video channel in the UK, in fact quite a few cartoony/bubblegum acts were all over UK music TV.

I believe I first learned of the term "Bubblegum dance" was when I joined this forum in the dim and distant past and people kept referring to tracks they found through bubblegumdancer.com

19. How likely do you think that is?

20. Nothing to see here...

DJHazey, berserkboi and WowWowWowWow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.