Ouch. I could've 11'd this, guys!
#30. Aqua - Lollipop (Candyman) - 7.342
10 x 7 (@iheartpoptarts
, @One Stop Candy Shop
) 9.4 x 1 (@Untouchable Ace
) 9.2 x 1 (@berserkboi
3 x 2 (@Ray
, @A$AP Robbie
) 4 x 1 (@Hudweiser
#23 (US), #3 (Australia), #38 (Canada), #29 (France), #24 (Italy), #22 (New Zealand), #10 (Sweden)
Søren Rasted and Claus Norreen (of Aqua), Jam & Delgado (Daze, Ace of Base, Hit 'n' Hide)
What the hell happened here?
Well, these people kicked 'Lollipop (Candyman)' out of the Eurodance rate. *pouts* Wanna show them what they're missing?
I am the Candyman. Coming from Bountyland. Which is a green planet in space.
I'm an astronaut with five or six different wigs. The light purple one is my fave. Soren and Claus drive my spaceship, and I'm not entirely sure they know what the heck they're doing.
(Also, Claus makes the "live long and prosper" sign, except with one finger missing, probably so we don't get sued. Again. Remember Mattel?)
And then I beam myself onto your ship and we eat lollipops together and travel to Bountyland and live happily ever after!
Oh Candyman, I'm having so much fun—but wait! A giant lizard! Aqua has been abducted by aliens!
Not to worry, C.A.N.D.Y. the robot will come to our rescue by transforming their alien weapons into oversized lollipops!
Yay! We're saved! Dance party in space!
didn't write any of this. I just made it up on the spot.)
Getting out of character now, here are some random Aqua facts for y'all...
• Aqua was originally called Joyspeed. They flopped under this name with an 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' cover.
• They all got matching tattoos of the eye from the Aqua logo.
• Lene and Soren have two kids, who stay with their grandparents when the group is on tour.
• They're the most successful Danish band of all time!
Oh My Love:
(10) - The crowning achievement of Aqua’s career and of Denmark eurodance in general. This still goes OFF. Should have been a much bigger hit in the states.
I like you if you like sugar...
(10) - I feel like I'm supposed to hate this but it fills me with joy with its sugary and sweet beats, just like a lollipop actually.
(7) - I remember hearing this super late one night on MTV when I was a teen. It was the song that finally made me pay attention to Aqua, and led to me getting their CD. Definitely a fun sugary bop.
(9) - I'm not sure I have yet wrapped my brain around the fact that Aqua would go from a pair of bubblegumrific songs to "Turn Back Time" -- one of the best midtempo ballads that I've ever heard, from any type of artist. Talent! Anyway, Lollipop was around for a hot minute in the USA, but no patch on Barbie.
Just throwing this out there—if 'Turn Back Time' wins the eventual Aqua rate I think I'm going to die.
(9.2) - Awesome too!
(7) - A bit of a mess if i'm honest.
(6) - A bit subpar to the other efforts but definitely still allright. Mostly because of that brilliant beat.
There are too many amazing Aqua singles. We had a hard time cutting it down to three...
@One Stop Candy Shop
(10) - This goes hard. It's probably my favourite Aquarium song after Roses Are Red.
(8) - 'I wish that I were a bubblegum' What is that supposed to mean? Someone tell me please. I had to subtract a point for that.
(8.5) - More of the same as their previous two (at least, going by the release chronology in Australia; I don't think this one got a UK single release), but somehow sillier. "I wish that I were a bubblegum". A bubblegum what?
Bubblegum everything! Oh, you guys.
(3) - Whyyyyy isn’t Pet Shop Boys’ ‘Heart’… I mean ‘Turn Back Time’ in this?
(5) - Maybe it’s because I don’t know it unlike their other songs but it’s annoying.
(4) - Was this a single? Eww. Roses Are Red was the awesome.
You're all forgiven because at least you like other Aqua songs.
The next time Aqua went into space:
bops we didn't rate:
And that one Japanese bonus track you might not know about...