iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END | Page 50 | The Popjustice Forum

iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Jun 9, 2018.

1. I was away for the weekend so missed the elimination but I have to say that I am OUTRAGED that Paradisio's Bailando is out already! It was my best discovery of the whole rate (having never been a hit in the UK) and I downloaded it immediately on my first listen through of the songs. It deserved better.

I've had "si senooorrr" stuck in my head for weeks!

2. By the way, our plan is to arrive at the Top 10 early next week and then we'll only do one song a day until the finale.

soratami, phily693, Ezz and 5 others like this.
  3. I looooooooove that song.

4. PEOPLE. HOW IS BERRI STILL IN THIS.

5. Cause it's a bop?

6. Any conversation of later Aqua material without mention of How R U Doin' is officially invalid.

Also a shout out to when Daze (you'll never guess what I am about to type........) competed in Dansk Melodi Grand Prix in 2013! The song was written by Peter "Bassflow" Boström and Thomas "Bridge Troll" G:son.

Some of my preferred tracks from the Daze days (that were not already highlighted):

(their "Turn Back Time" moment)

7. [​IMG]

8. One of these days we'll need to decide which bridge G:Son came from.

9. Let me put it another way. Why is that song with the dog still here?

10. Me reading this post:

[​IMG]

See also:

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

You already called for the song that I considered elevening to go.

12. Outraged about Lollipop being eliminated already! By the way, My Mama Said is such a great song, I wish Aqua would do more stuff like that one.

13. [​IMG]

*sings* And we go back to the 80s...

[​IMG]

Um, Poptarts? We're in a 90s rate.

[​IMG]

Right! But this particular act got going a little early...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #28. Black Box - Strike It Up - 7.447

After 5: #44
    After 10: #47
    After 15: #33
    After 20: #25
    After 25: #24
    After 30: #26
    Final: #28

Highest: 10 x 5 (@iheartpoptarts, @geomixes, @idratherjack, @LPMA, @ohnoitisnathan) 9.5 x 1 (@31entrance) 9 x 2 (@WowWowWowWow, @Ana Raquel)

Lowest: 4 x 1 (@One Stop Candy Shop) 5 x 2 (@Daniel_O, @Eric)

DJHazey: 7

(Not a very polarizing song, this one, with a lot of scores in the mid-to-high range!)

Album: Dreamland (1990)

Best Charts: #8 (US), #16 (UK), #10 (Denmark), #9 (Greece), #8 (Ireland), #4 (Netherlands)

Producers: Groove Groove Melody (i.e. the guys in Black Box)

On July 19, 1989, Black Box released 'Ride On Time' and invented Eurodance. Maybe. I can't say for sure. What I do know is that it's the earliest song listed in the History section of Wikipedia's Eurodance article. Works for me!

But whether they invented it or not, they certainly helped popularize it—'Ride on Time' spent six weeks at #1 in the UK and was the best-selling UK single of the year.

In retrospect, we probably should've done a 1989-1999 Eurodance rate. Oh well.

They got themselves sued. A lot. They didn't give credit to singer Loleatta Holloway or writer Dan Hartman for the 'Love Sensation' sample (though they did clear it with the label, to be fair), and long story short, they rightfully handed over a ton of royalties.

Most of their hits feature vocals from Weather Girl Martha Wash, and it gets worse.

They told Martha she was doing demos of songs that would later be re-recorded, and paid her as a session singer accordingly. Then they went and put them on the album. Nooooooooo. Bad. What were you thinking?

Obviously she called in the lawyers. Record label RCA claimed not to know about it. But in the end, Martha got her well-deserved $$$, came to be regarded as an industry pioneer once proper vocal credits were a thing, and put out a 1993 dance album of her own. Happily ever after.

I saw her do 'Strike It Up' live once. It was awesome.

P.S. @ohnoitisnathan you're famous. Rolling Stone wrote an article about all this and they've totally gone and embedded your video.

Team Martha Wash:

@WowWowWowWow (9) - First of all, TEAM MARTHA WASH ALWAYS AND FOREVER. Second of all, Dreamland is a fantastic album, and I will never not listen to this song when it comes on, but I can't in good faith give it a 10 when "Everybody Everybody" also exists.

@Seventeen Days (6) - The weakest of the Black Box singles. That being said, I still enjoy it - Martha Wash serves some killer vocals, and I am sucker for songs with gratuitous orchestral hits.

@Remorque (7) - Dreamland is an iconique album, because it features fantastic early house tracks and the voice of the amazing Martha Wash. Really, put it on when you're getting ready and you'll immediately be in the mood to go clubbing with some hunties. Having said that, there are infinitely better tracks than this on that album, but hey ho…

@geomixes (10) - One of 3 contenders for my 11, Its so subtle but its incredible, it lulls you into a false sense of security, then BAM! Martha Wash squawking, the italo beat and the sudden rave clanks! Sorry Ride On Time, but this is thee Black Box song

@CasuallyCrazed (7) - That vocal is orgasmic but I’ve always felt there’s something missing that keeps this from being a true classic.

@Empty Shoebox (6) - As you'd expect, nowhere near as strong as 'Ride on Time'. I also checked, and it seems that the lady in the video doesn't sing this one either. It was one of The Weather Girls.

Other Comments, Mostly Quite Good:

@Ray (6) - I ALWAYS expect this to be 1.5x faster than it actually is. It sounds like a medley, the rapper’s voice is unpleasant, but if a song has the words ‘house music’ in the lyrics, I must add a point to the score. (Eddie Amador’s ‘House Music’ says hello.)

@sfmartin (8) - I mean its no Ride on Time, but its still a good bop. The video is great.

@ohnoitisnathan (10) - Album version (as appears on Spotify) is a 10. The version used in the video is not as good.

@Sprockrooster (7.5) - I kind of forgot about this one. I do like it a lot, but not a big rediscovery that has me shook.

@Cutlery (8.7) - A sample-heavy straightforward bop!

@phily693 (6.5) - I’m guessing this was very early 90s just from how it sounds. It’s less fresh sounding… I can still bop though.

@berserkboi (6.8) - Not a huge fan of this one

@rav4boy (8) - Slightly camp- and I love it for that!

@31entrance (9.5) - this is what I imagine if the pop divas of the 90s released a eurodance song.

Not Team Martha Wash:

@One Stop Candy Shop (4) - I like the music but the vocals (both male and female) are not pleasant to listen to.

Come to think of it, I wonder if they credited the rapper...

---

Megamix anyone?

(P.S. @ohnoitisnathan you're famous here too.)​

14. Wow, I'm surprised that's out already! But I actually don't mind all that much. "Everybody Everybody" is the one for me.

15. HOW THE FUCK IS THIS ALREADY OUT

SERIOUSLY; and on top of that, not one score of 11?

BOB-The-Drag-Queen.jpg

16. [​IMG]

Baby, I am missing you...

[​IMG]

I want you by my side!

[​IMG]

And I hope you miss me too...

[​IMG]

Come back and stay!

[​IMG]

Gotcha! Wrong doctor!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #27. Dr. Alban - It's My Life - 7.479

After 5: #19
    After 10: #35
    After 15: #19
    After 20: #27
    After 25: #19
    After 30: #22
    Final: #27

Highest: 11 x 1 (@ohnoitisnathan) 10 x 7 (@P Grandson, @geomixes, @sfmartin, @idratherjack, @Sprockrooster, @Remorque, @Conan)

Lowest: 0 x 2 (@CasuallyCrazed, @Aester) 1 x 1 (@ThisIsRogue) 3 x 1 (@31entrance)

iheartpoptarts: 7
    DJHazey: 5.5

Album: One Love (1992)

Best Charts: #2 (UK), #88 (US), #1 (Austria), #1 (Belgium), #3 (Denmark), #5 (Finland), #1 (Germany), #2 (Greece), #2 (Ireland), #1 (Italy), #1 (Netherlands), #6 (Norway), #9 (Portugal), #1 (Sweden), #2 (Switzerland), #10 (Zimbabwe)

Producers: Denniz PoP (Ace of Base, E-Type, Rednex, Backstreet Boys, Robyn, 5ive, *NSYNC, Britney Spears)

And with that, we've just kicked Sweden (and Norway) out of a Popjustice rate. What is the world coming to? Can Aqua save Scandinavia?

Perhaps surprisingly, Dr. Alban's name is actually Alban and he is an actual doctor.

He grew up in Nigeria. He went to Sweden for dental school. To pay for his studies, he started moonlighting as a DJ. Pretty soon he'd made a name for himself. And he did become a dentist, but the DJ gig was so lucrative that he kept at it on the side.

Then he met Denniz PoP.

You guys know Denniz PoP. He co-founded Cheiron. He discovered Max Martin. He worked with all those names up there. That means big things.

In his new career as a popstar, Dr. Alban debuted in 1990 with 'Hello Afrika', a collaboration with Moroccan-Swedish singer/rapper Leila K.

But on to the Eurobops! On his second album One Love, he moved from dancehall to, well, dance. It paid off. 'It's My Life' was a UK #2 smash, held off the top of the charts only by The Shamen's 'Ebeneezer Goode'. What a dancey time for music.

In fact, it kinda smashed everywhere, from Austria to Zimbabwe. Or mostly everywhere. Meanwhile down under, 'Sing Hallelujah' was his breakthrough. 'It's My Life' was re-released thereafter to capitalize on its popularity.

Dr. Alban has yet to replicate the success of his peak Eurodance era, but the 90s nostalgia is real. In 2008, this was a thing that happened.

(Bonus: The female vocals on that one are by Malin from Caramell, a.k.a. Dinah Nah. It's a small world after all!)

Take It:

@Ray (9) - OK, it would have been 8 if Dr Alban wasn’t HOT AS FUCK, but still. *rewatching the video for scientific reasons*

We got some interesting comparisons re: the video and otherwise...

@Cutlery (6.5) - What is this 2003 Flash computer game realness?

@One Stop Candy Shop (8) - It's the best song by a dentist since 'Chimacum Rain' (a 1970 song by American psychedelic folk singer Linda Perhacs who became a dentist after releasing her debut album).

Some of you were more nostalgic than others...

@rav4boy (8) - Listening to this was like reconnecting with an old friend.

@WowWowWowWow (9) - Wikipedia says that this song charted in the USA, although at #88. I don't remember hearing it until much more recently. The It's My Life parts I like well enough, the "rap" parts less exciting for me. "Sing Hallelujah" might have been a con10der.

@phily693 (7) - I could have it on in the background and it wouldn’t bother me but to actively go and listen to it… Maybe not.

@Empty Shoebox (8) - This occasionally still gets played on Europe's Most Popular Radio Station to this day. That's some achievement. This all seems to go together quite well, and is a rather polished package, but it lacks that something special to give me any emotional attachment to it.

@berserkboi (8.3) - Used to love this growing up! Now realise it’s just for that chorus!

But it wasn't just the chorus for everyone...

@sfmartin (10) - I love the thundering bass. The instrumental mixed with quite a sombre soft rap section is such a cool juxtaposition to the uplifting chorus. The ending where it all comes together is superb.

@Seventeen Days (7.25) - This one is… a little weird, but good? The rapping over the acid bass is kind of an odd pairing, but it works really well in this case.

@Sprockrooster (10) - WHEW. This rate, y'all. One classic after the other. How am I supposed to cope. The female voice going absolutely berserk in the middle-8 is my fave part and probably the best middle-8 in the entire rate.

Leave It:

@ThisIsRogue (1) - I'm so confused by this. It sounds dire but is it supposed to be celebratory?

@CasuallyCrazed (0) - The cheapest vocal and production of the whole rate.

We still love you Denniz!

11 It:

@ohnoitisnathan (11) - Choosing an 11 in this rate was difficult... but it has to be this one for me. Although vocally-challenged, Dr, Alban had some excellent singles - this being one.

---

And a remix!

(Since I know we've got some Sash! fans up in here. *waves*)​

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  17. Considering Sweden/Norway had REDNEX in the lineup, kicking that region out isn't as horrendous as you think.

18. Gotta say- I'm a little surprised (but massively relieved) that Gina G is still in. I thought it was just me who still loved her!

19. Black Box and Dr Alban?!

Cancel the rate, we need to start again.

Strike It Up is one of my favourite records of all time and Dame Katrin Quinol one of my favourite popstars, even though she never sang a note.

[​IMG]

Only an icon.

20. I'd never heard Strike It Up before this, which is weird given my 'advanced years'.

Dr Alban was the ultimate teen-tantrum record of 1993. Stomp upstairs, slam the door, crank that to the max.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.