iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END | Page 54 | The Popjustice Forum

iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Jun 9, 2018.

1. upload_2018-8-17_8-1-15.png

Pause in the action because we believe we might have entered one of @LPMA's scores wrong, so we need to figure out if that's the case and adjust the leaderboard accordingly. It doesn't effect past eliminations, as the current #23 song may go up.

2. I think Haddaway's 'What Is Love' also has a chance of being within the top 5.

iheartpoptarts, sfmartin and DJHazey like this.
  3. Okay it turns out we had the score correct all along, elimination incoming #soon.

4. So like I said we had entered the wrong score for someone, but it turns out they gave a low score because they don't like the version on the song list. Fair enough, so here we go!

Oh and this song also includes another 11, this time from someone who has been a bit of a rate villain..

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #23. Real McCoy - Run Away - 7.524

After 5: #13
    After 10: #9
    After 15: #12
    After 20: #17
    After 25: #26
    After 30: #23
    Final: #23

Leaderboard Average: #17

So this is the first song we've had that had a consistent run inside the Top 20 and this even scraped the Top 10 at one point!

Highest: 11 x 1 (@CasuallyCrazed) 10 x 6 (@DJHazey, @WowWowWowWow, @roborovsky, @geomixes, @idratherjack, @ohnoitisnathan)

Lowest: 3 x 1 (@soratami) 4 x 3 (@LPMA, @Sprockrooster, @Ray)

iheartpoptarts: 8.5

Album: Space Invaders (1994) / Another Night (1995)

Best Charts: #6 (UK), #3 (US), #4 (Australia), #11 (Belgium), #4 (Finland), #5 (Ireland), #6 (New Zealand), #5 (Scotland), #11 (Sweden)

Producers: Juergen Wind and Frank Hassas (Maxx)

Last time in Real McCoy land, we skipped over their most successful era because it was still in the rate. Now we're right in it.

'Run Away' originates from the album Space Invaders (sing that like Hit 'n' Hide in your head), which got reworked under the name Another Night after the yet-to-be-eliminated song. Clive Davis had decided he wanted to bring Real McCoy to America. It apparently worked.

(I did sing it like Hit 'n' Hide in fact)

There's another version of the 'Run Away' video that never saw the light of day. The second, made specifically for the US release, was scrapped, even though they got Nigel Dick for it and everything. Way to put your resources to good use, etc.

US Version

Real McCoy explains on YouTube that the label thought it was too dark and negative. Yeah, the futuristic sweatshop theme could maybe do that. At least they got out of there. Obviously. I mean, it's called 'Run Away'. You might've seen that coming.

In the 345876456th instance of the-singer-is-not-the-real-singer, vocals are the work of studio singer Karin Kasar. She's now an official member of Real McCoy and she and frontman O-Jay do the 90s nostalgia festival circuit.

Let me throw in lesser known 'Another Night' follow-up 'Automatic Lover (Call For Love)' while we're here—I'm partial to that one, even though it didn't get as far.

(Love this song too and it's also one of my favs!)

Keep the Faith:

@CasuallyCrazed (11) - Karin Kasar is the unsung voice of a generation. The fact she never got any credit is a pop injustice of the highest order. This song is borderline euphoric and encapsulates everything magical about 90s europop.

It is pure magic. This is also another one of my first memories with the genre and it's special for that reason.

@WowWowWowWow (10) - The perfect soundtrack for a spies-chasing-each-other-down-the-Autobahn film scene! You're right, ladies. It IS time to break free!

It's the perfect driving soundtrack for sure!

@Hudweiser (9.5) - Both the radio mix and the video mix (with the sort of galloping beat) were amazing.

@geomixes (10) - My 2nd contender for a 11, this was so Euphoric to me, and the lyrics hit home quite a bit at the time, as a young homosexual with a shit home life, I literally wanted to Run Away, and I did! Also shout out to Automatic Lover which is also incredible

We had you covered on Automatic Lover!

@ohnoitisnathan (10) - Their finest moment, really.

@phily693 (8) - At first I didn’t think I knew it then I started singing “RUN AWAY RUN AWAAAAYYY” at the top of my voice.

The power nostalgia!

Run away and save your life:

@One Stop Candy Shop (6.5) - Good chorus, meh everything else.

@Ray (4) - This is…let’s be nice…predictable.

@Sprockrooster (4) - Boringly bland.

@Seventeen Days (4.75) - I actually never really knew this Real McCoy track until a few years ago. It’s a bit more average compared to the other big tracks, but it’s got a good sound going for it.

@Empty Shoebox (5) - Not too sure about the church bells, and I fell that this track has a relatively weak and forgettable melody.

@sfmartin (8) - Solid but not spectacular.

@berserkboi (8.4) - Not on par with their very best

Okay the last couple scores are spared, but the comments were too meh to go with the love fest!

P.S. Here are the summer bops. There are always summer bops.

This was a @iheartpoptarts® post that I just copied and pasted for the most part.​

5. Why did nobody tell me about this? Livid.

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  6. You were one of my first tags, but if I don't hear back from people one way or the other then I just assume they aren't interested.

I was surprised when you didn't like the post or post in the thread or anything.

Sorry!

7. Run Away is so much better than Another Night *unpopular opinion but one I stand by*

8. Seconded. I've never liked Another Night.

9. I thought that was just me! I don't know why but it's always left me cold compared to other Eurodance bangers like Be My Lover and Rhythm of the Night.

Amber's This Is Your Night does it better.

10. Must've missed it. My bad! Will still enjoy reading back through it and complaining about the outrageous results!

Did anyone give a mention to this? Would definitely feature in my top 10

11. Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Aester, iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  12. The synthy bit just doesn't work, it sounds really basic and under-produced. Run Away got it right - both mixes. Both tracks have that really deep bouncy beat though.

13. I just had a look at what’s left... I think we should form a prayer circle for what’s to come. We haven’t even hit the Top 20! Every single song that’s left is iconic and essential 90s Eurodance.

I underscored one song looking back because it has since grown on me.

14. The final 22 songs are iconic for sure, but what two do we think are missing the Top 20?

Which do you think will be the two?
    Which do you want to be the two?
    Which had better not be the two?

15. Life by Haddaway can sashay away.

16. I think Gala will fall pretty soon, maybe even Saturday Night.

17. I forgot Gala was still in this, she can go too!

18. Oh boy, this is sure to get some reactions..

Indeed one of these icons is about to be cut in half, but which one?

upload_2018-8-17_11-44-36.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #22. Amber - Sexual (Li Da Di) - 7.583

After 5: #27
    After 10: #23
    After 15: #21
    After 20: #19
    After 25: #18
    After 30: #19
    Final: #22

Leaderboard Average: #21

Very close to being a Top 20 song until the lowest score came it very late.

Highest: 10 x 5 (@WowWowWowWow, @berserkboi, @OspreyQueen, @idratherjack, @Ray)

Lowest: 4 (@Conan) 5 (@GhettoPrincess) 5.5 (@CasuallyCrazed)

My Score: 9

iheartpoptarts: 8

Album: Amber (1999)

Charts: #24 (New Zealand) #34 (UK) #40 (France) #42 (U.S.) #55 (Australia) #87 (Germany) #94 (Netherlands)

Producers: Christian and Frank Beermann (Real McCoy)

Marie-Claire "Amber" Cremers was born in the Netherlands before moving to Germany and becoming the 34th most successful Dance artist of all-time according to Billboard in 2016. That success was built by her debut album and single of the same name which we will undoubtedly focus on more when the time comes. Amber was her second album and "Sexual (Li Da Di)" was the really the only hit from it, as most critics found it was very light in the Eurodance department. In fact, she would go on to release two more albums, leaving Eurodance further and further behind with each release.

Notable facts about Amber is that she was the first Euro-NRG solo artists to be signed directly to a label (Tommy Boy Records).

The reason she chose Amber as a stage name was because her producers wanted her name to at the beginning of the alphabet in American music stores.

This is probably the lightest charting single left without looking the other 21 up to confirm it, but Amber is incredible and has many passionate fans, so I saw this ranking coming. I originally had it on the songlist and when we were trying to figure it out, but it left the list for a short while before realizing @WowWowWowWow deserved to have two songs from his fav here. I honestly thought I was going to toss this another 10, but it just felt like a notch below so I hope it's not considered too much of a betrayal that I only went with a 9. The chorus is pure ethereal magic a lot like "Run Away" which we just lost in fact. The Beermann Brothers worked with both Real McCoy and Amber so I'm surprised they aren't connected to both songs like they were with both "This Is the Night" and "Another Night". Also the way Amber sounds so seductive in the verses will always keep me coming back to this song as well.

You don't know what you do to this heart of mine:

@WowWowWowWow (10) - Thunderpuss forever!! I remember the feeling of waiting and anticipating, knowing that this song was coming out soon. There was a dance music radio show on the local college station, and I befriended the DJ's (despite the fact that they were in college and I was... not), and they told me when they would be premiering the song. I was reborn! Three additional thoughts. (1) One of the highlights of my junior year prom was convincing the DJ to play this song (at the prom of my Catholic high school, yes) -- and for some reason the DJ only had the extended mix, not the radio edit, so I had 8 minutes of pure joy on the dancefloor. (2) There was a period of time where Amber would do "Sexual" in her show and it would start out as the Chillout mix, and no one knew what was happening.......and then they started to figure it out.... and then they would blast in the remix and it would go OFF. (go AWF? go AUFFFFF?) I miss the days of slow-to-fast versions. (3) I can't tell if the people in the comments section on this YouTube video are joking or not when they say "What is that thing she's holding with the cord?" "That's a weird looking phone charger..." Youths! (3A) I love Amber to the end of time but turning the Li Da Di's into the voice of the Yo Quiero Taco Bell chihuahua may be the worst thing I've ever seen on screen in my life (and I watched Gigli all the way through).

Yes, but the dog was iconicn and still is and I love the jab at the young crowd not knowing what an old school phone was like. Wow!

@berserkboi (10) - Great!

@geomixes (8) - The Plasma Remix of this song is incredible.

@Seventeen Days (8) - Most of the people I know prefer the Thunderpuss remix of this, but I enjoy the album version the most. Very slinky, and Amber’s vocals are awesome on it. I especially love the video, where Amber’s chihuahua sings the “li da di” bit.

Haha, you bump heads with our resident stan one more than one topic here.

@Ray (10) - Confession: I own the album AND the CD single, and I never played either of them. But I know this, of course. Probably from the fact it was hammered in every radio station at the time.

@One Stop Candy Shop (8) - So much better than her other song in this rate.

Uh Oh.

@Cutlery (8.8) - The li da di’s are half a step away from being annoying but they don’t quite cross the line

Don't make this one dimensional:

@rav4boy (7.5) - Great video. The song is okay- a bit like Janet at a rave.

@ohnoitisnathan (6.5) - I hadn't heard this before.

@Sprockrooster (7) - A bit of a musical hybrid that isn't necessarily bad or anything, but feels weird.

It was a bit too soft for some...

@phily693 (6.5) - I was hoping this to be better than it actually was. The “Li Da Di” parts are the highlight, I wish the song had sounded a bit more like that.

@Empty Shoebox (7) - Not sure what it is about this, I think it veers too close to that whispering vocal sound that I don't like.

@sfmartin (7) - It starts off well and is let down by the whispery chorus.

@CasuallyCrazed (5.5) - Never understood the love for this song. The subdued vocal is a bit of a snooze and the lyrics are too precious.

Well at least you get a little revenge after losing your 11!

19. [​IMG]

Also like, I’m sad it’s gone and all, but it also doesn’t strike me as proper Eurodance in the same way that “This Is Your Night” does, if that makes any sense? Like “This Is Your Night” very much has that classic sound whereas “Sexual” is a bit more tribal/housey to me?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.