iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END | Page 55 | The Popjustice Forum

iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Also somehow this was allowed to happen and apparently nobody got sued?

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  2. Yeah that's partly why I took it off the list for a bit, because the sound doesn't quite match up to the rest of the list in sound, but enough for it to get by.

iheartpoptarts and WowWowWowWow like this.
  3. At least you left off her least favorite single of hers:

We’re talking full hatred. It didn’t even make it into the Amber Discography In Review!

DJHazey and iheartpoptarts like this.
  4. I can't believe Amber's name isn't actually Amber!

Awwwwwwww the dog. This is the best screencap. *dies*

Everyone hug Hazey, he's an iconic co-host who helps me post my posts when I fail to do so on account of "errors" that aren't actually errors.

5. Shocked but unsurprised.

6. [​IMG]

At least this song charted higher than Cotton Eye Joe or both of the dumpster fires that were Eiffel 65.

7. [​IMG]

(No.)

8. two new alerts

none from this rate

[​IMG]

as long as la bouche and no limit are safe

9. You had me worried there - I like Sexual but moreso the Plasma remix and at least it wasn't This Is Your Night! That needs to be Top 5.

10. upload_2018-8-17_14-36-33.jpeg

11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Hmm I wouldn't be mad at This Is Your Night going soon...

12. Reported.

13. [​IMG]

Like I said very interesting...

...interesting how both Amber and La Bouche lose a song right before the Top 20 that is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #21. La Bouche - Sweet Dreams - 7.592

After 5: #22
    After 10: #20
    After 15: #24
    After 20: #30
    After 25: #27
    After 30: #27
    Final: #21

Leaderboard Average: #25

As you can see it was never really a Top 20 song here, in fact many of the recent eliminations were often ahead of it.

Highest: 10 x 8 (@WowWowWowWow, @berserkboi, @idratherjack, @Seventeen Days, @ohnoitisnathan, @Remorque, @Conan, @ThisIsRogue)

Lowest: 3 (@Empty Shoebox) 4 (@Sprockrooster) 5 (@A$AP Robbie)

My Score: 7.5 ("Be My Lover" is much better)

iheartpoptarts: 7

Album: Sweet Dreams (1995)

Charts: #1 (Italy) #3 (Austria) #5 (Switzerland, Japan) #6 (Spain) #8 (Australia, Germany) #13 (Sweden, U.S.) #15 (Finland, Iceland) #16 (Ireland) #28 (Canada) #31 (Netherlands) #32 (France) #63 (UK) Gold (Australia, Germany) #37 (Billboard Year-End)

Producers: Frank Farian, Uli Brenner, Gerd Amir Saraf (Le Click)

La Bouche was the creation of German record producer Frank Fabian who had recruited DJs Uli Brenner and Amir Saraf to work with vocalist Melanie Thornton and rapper/singer Lane McCray. Lane and Melanie were discovered as lead vocalists for German cover band Groovin' Affairs. Melanie recalls: "although we just began working together, the chemistry was perfect!"

Frank secured rights to the song "Sweet Dreams" at the same time he got "Tonight is the Night" and gave that to another band name Le Click (which had Melanie's vocals as well, which we already know). At this time Melanie was bouncing back and forth between both La Bouche and Le Click actually. "Sweet Dreams" exploded and later "Be My Lover" took it even further, which would become the peak of La Bouche's success.

After the mainstream success of the album Sweet Dreams, there was a long pause which was explained by Melanie: "Frank Farian held pretty much total control of the project and he had, since the beginning of La Bouche, picked up a whole lot of other projects. We'd been put on the backburner until he'd finished producing No Mercy (and others). He did record a single called Bolingo that was supposed to be the introduction of our second album, but it didn't work that way. It was like six months after the end of our first album and like a year before the actual release of the second album. It wasn't supposed to be that way, but it's just the way it happened. Basically it was just waiting on Frank Farian. First to be ready to start producing and then, second, to be satisfied with the work. There were also power struggles going on there. I would have to say a lot of it was disagreements between Frank and the labels".

So eventually Melanie eventually started doing guest vocals on other projects and after the second album S.O.S. flopped, she decided to go solo. Tragically while promoting one of solo singles "Wonderful Dream (Holidays are Coming)" for a Coca Cola commercial, Melanie died in a plane crash near Zurich, Switzerland on November 24, 2001. After her death, the single went on to become her biggest hit.

Sometimes the song is referred to as "Sweet Dreams (Ola Ola E)" and actually the "ola ola" part is from a 1989 hit song by Kid n' Play called "Rollin' with Kid n' Play".

Sweet dreams of rhythm and dancing:

@WowWowWowWow (10) - I don't even care that it kinda samples Electric Boogie. La Bouche now and forever. There was another version of this song that had a little guitar interlude at different parts? Heaven! I always still chuckle to myself when I enjoy a La Bouche song how maybe there wouldn't be a La Bouche if Milli Vanilli hadn't been a total disaster and Frank Farian needed something else to do with his time.

Interesting backstory on Frank. Will look for your video posted of this Electric Boogie.

@berserkboi (10) - Absolute greatness!

@CasuallyCrazed (8) - Stone cold classic, although it’s a one-dimensional in retrospect.

@Seventeen Days (10) - BOP AND A HALF. Melanie’s vocals have never sounded better than on this track. I also love that little flamenco guitar chord that kind of runs underneath the track at some points; it’s more prominent in the extended mix.

@Ray (7.5) - This keeps on being better than I expect it to be.

@ohnoitisnathan (10) - Probably tied with 'I Love To Love' as my favourite single of theirs. Who did the 'ola-ola-ey''s first though? La Bouche or Real McCoy (Love & Devotion)? I do find it slightly annoyin' though that every word endin' in -ing is sung by Melanie as though it's endin' in the letter N instead.

Not a huge La Bouche stan, but "I Love to Love" is that bop for sure.

@phily693 (9) - I just realised this isn’t in my 90s playlist. Shame on me!

Nightmares:

@One Stop Candy Shop (6) - Just a more boring version of Be My Lover.

The tea, honestly.

[​IMG]

@Sprockrooster (4) - *Sings Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This instead.

@Empty Shoebox (3) - I think it's the 'Ola Ola Ayy' that's putting me off this one. There's so much better than this song here.

14. ///Top 20\\\

NETHERLANDS AND BELGIUM (4/12)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

#??. 2 Unlimited - No Limit
    #??. Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
    #??. Vengaboys - We Like To Party
    #??. Vengaboys - Boom Boom Boom Boom

ITALY (4/12)
    [​IMG]

#??. Corona - Rhythm Of The Night
    #??. Corona - Baby Baby
    #??. Gala - Freed From Desire
    #??. Whigfield - Saturday Night

GERMANY AND SWITZERLAND (7/20)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

#??. Amber - This Is Your Night
    #??. Culture Beat - Mr. Vain
    #??. Haddaway - What Is Love
    #??. Haddaway - Life
    #??. La Bouche - Be My Lover
    #??. Real McCoy - Another Night
    #??. Snap! - Rhythm Is A Dancer

UNITED KINGDOM AND CANADA (3/9)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

#??. Gina G - Ooh Aah… Just a Little Bit
    #??. Livin' Joy - Dreamer
    #??. Livin’ Joy - Don't Stop Movin'

DENMARK (2/11)
    [​IMG]

#??. Aqua - Barbie Girl
    #??. Aqua - Doctor Jones

----------------------------------

That means the only untouched acts going into the Top 20 are:

Corona
    Gala
    Haddaway
    Snap!
    Gina G
    Livin' Joy

Oh and we are not done, far from. This is our big elimination day to make sure we stay on track for when we want to reach the Top 10. So there are two more songs coming from @iheartpoptarts in a bit.

Then two songs from me tomorrow and one each on Sunday.​

15. Stop giving me a heart attack with every elimination you fiend!

Sweet Dreams is great but it's no Be My Lover which again has to be Top 5.

16. Even though the last two eliminations were evil and unnecessary, I am quite satisfied with what's going into the top 20.

17. Been giving people heart attacks with my trademark rate reveal lead-ins since 2014 and it'll never stop!

(Always mix in some reveals that aren't mis-leading too so people don't expect it.)

18. Never change!

Just wanted to take this opportunity to say how great this rate has been - the writeups, videos and pacing have been perfect. Kudos to you and @iheartpoptarts on a brilliant job.

19. on the other side, thankfully i prefer be my lover

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.