iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END | Page 56 | The Popjustice Forum

iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Jun 9, 2018.

1. 'Wonderful Dream' is such a cute song. Sadface.

Conan, WowWowWowWow and DJHazey like this.
  2. [​IMG]
    Second 11 in UK #2’s Rate OFFICIALLY REVOKED

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  4. Oh my God, I remember this being on the radio!

iheartpoptarts and WowWowWowWow like this.
  5. Oh I see now, both Electric Boogie and the Kid ‘n’ Play song are said to sample

EDUCATION!!

DJHazey and iheartpoptarts like this.
  6. As for the top 20, the only one I can’t abide still being here is “Life” by Haddaway. But in fairness, it didn’t crack the top 40 here in the US of A, nor was it used by chuckleworthy TV characters, so I just wasn’t as into it as others of you maybe are.

DJHazey and iheartpoptarts like this.
  7. What a painful duo of eliminations for poor @berserkboi! Two tracks I'd firmly put in my top 10!!

8. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BUT NOT FOR LONG!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #20. Gala - Freed From Desire - 7.597

After 5: #15
    After 10: #21
    After 15: #27
    After 20: #21
    After 25: #20
    After 30: #18
    Final: #20

Highest: 10 x 8 (@Empty Shoebox, @Eric, @Sprockrooster, @Ray, @One Stop Candy Shop, @A$AP Robbie, @phily693, @Remorque) 9.2 x 1 (@berserkboi)

Lowest: 0 x 1 (@Untouchable Ace) 4 x 1 (@LPMA) 4.5 x 2 (@OspreyQueen, @Seventeen Days)

iheartpoptarts: 8
    DJHazey: 5

Album: Come Into My Life (1997)

Best Charts: #2 (UK), #1 (Belgium), #1 (Denmark), #1 (France), #9 (Iceland), #2 (Ireland), #1 (Italy), #5 (Netherlands), #3 (Scotland)

Producers: Maurizio Molella and Phil Jay
    (hey, one time they remixed 'Doctor Jones')

Before Gala was a popstar, she went to art school in the US and became a photographer. Her subjects were people on the New York club scene, and she broke into the music industry by doing a deal with European DJ.

The DJ got a photo done by Gala. Gala got her first demo.

Now let's talk 'Freed From Desire' because that's why we're all here.

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Famously, nobody knows what the words are. Or if you do, don't spoil them. I collected these from around the internet. My lover's got no money...

(a) He's got his trombolese
    (b) He's got his trumpet leased
    (c) He's got his trampolines
    (d) He's got his strombolis
    (e) He's got a stronger leash
    (f) His god is from Belize
    (g) None of the above

And it's so catchy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There have been a lot of versions over the years. Here's acoustic!

(I don't like this one. The words are too easy to understand.)

Eurodance rate flops Solid Base!

Football!

And what does Gala think?

“I don’t follow football so much but I said, ‘If you tell me it’s good, I trust that it’s good’.”

---

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA:

@Empty Shoebox (10) - Ah, the song with the second most misheard lyrics ever (after 'Labour of Love' by Hue and Cry) Maybe it's because of that that it's stuck in my head all these years.

And of course the lyrics came up quite a bit...

@Hudweiser (8.5) - "My lover's got no money, he's got his trampolines."

@WowWowWowWow (8) - I had no idea that Gala was from Brooklyn! I should take the bus down and find her and ask her what the hell she was thinking when she wrote these lyrics. Freed From Desire isn't all that bad, but Let A Boy Cry is astonishingly absurd. "They say sil... I choose gold..." and how does that relate to a boy crying exactly? Ugh I'm done.

@sfmartin (9) - For the longest time I had no idea what she was singing about and I was just babbling trumbelise and mineinscensespurify incoherently. At least you can't get "na na na na" wrong.

@GhettoPrincess (8) - Nanananananana.

As did the vocals...

@CasuallyCrazed (7.5) - Obsessed with the weird, disaffected vocal.

@Ray (10) - This is SO perfect. It’s a classic of the ‘You Got The Love’ calibre. But I bought her album. To put it mildly, this song must have been the one time her voice accidentally sounded good, and there just so happened to be a microphone and tape recorder around. That album is…interesting. And special. In the ‘what the hell were they thinking’ way.

And, perhaps surprisingly on Popjustice, the football...

@Ana Raquel (9) - bless @ world cup to play this song sometimes. My favorite Gala song if you don't count the remixes.

@phily693 (10) - This used to be one of my favourite 90s Eurodance songs, it just goes off! It also sounds cool even today. Although that has somewhat changed thanks to this chant [See football chant above, thanks for the link! xx] - I just can’t unhear it now. The chorus is undeniable as are those fabulous synths.

@A$AP Robbie (10) - Has been reinvented as a football chant, because the melody is just that great. One of the best songs of its era.

Gala's got some other music we should check out...

@One Stop Candy Shop (10) - Anthem against capitalism. I really liked her follow up singles as well.

@berserkboi (9.2) - Her other song would get full marks.

Lastly, we almost had an 11 here...

@Sprockrooster (10) - Fuck, I am going to regret not giving this my 11, aren't I? This is a transcending bop that really can gets me emotional with the cracks in her voice. But having that uplifting chorus and I am literally living again. Also this is probably one of the best vocally performed songs in the entire rate. Also the nanana is not even close to being songfiller, but actually adds to the song so much. Making it very recognizable and easy to get stuck. I am playing this in repeat now. And the volume goes to the max. I want the whole fucking street to hear this banger. FREED FROM DESIRE. MIND AND SENSES PURIFIED.

Nah:

@rav4boy (5) - One of those songs that everyone seemed to love, bar me!

@ohnoitisnathan (6) - OK.

@geomixes (7) - Let a Boy Cry was much much better

@Seventeen Days (4.5) - I can see why this was a big track, as it is admittedly catchy. But there’s just something about her voice that just… doesn’t sit with me.

@Cutlery (5) - She sounds BORED

---

So I hear this one is better. Or possibly more absurd. You decide, guys!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  9. It’s actually “his strong beliefs” but I lowkey much prefer his trombolese

Ray, phily693, iheartpoptarts and 4 others like this.
  10. 2014

2014 Staff Member

This top 20 has sooooo many classics. Freed From Desire is good but a bit... laddy

11. Well that turned out to be rhetorical.

Some people in this rate need their mind and senses purified.

12. I have grown quite partial to this version of Let A Boy Cry over the years. Much fuller and hypnotic! A 10!

13. “Wonderful Dream (Holidays Are Coming)” always makes me cry, for multiple reasons:
    (1) of course because Melanie and her Passion Fruit sisters passed away in that plane crash around the time of its release
    (2) the song is not on Spotify USA, rendering my festive playlists tragically incomplete
    (3) but the Joe McElderry version is

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  14. Let’s also give another shoutout to “In Your Life,” the song that they ended up releasing with Melanie’s unfinished vocals:

I know I could be in your life
    Forever in your life
    I know I should be by your side
    Forever in your life
    Cause this is what it all comes down to
    This is what it all comes down to...

[​IMG]
    Let a boy cry, for reals.

15. OK I must admit, the percussion on this one is lit tho

16. For me, Sweet Dreams > Be My Lover, and Run Away > Another Night.

17. [​IMG]

Like my towel? Look familiar?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #19. Whigfield - Saturday Night - 7.740

After 5: #41
    After 10: #27
    After 15: #31
    After 20: #31
    After 25: #25
    After 30: #21
    Final: #19

Highest: 11 x 1 (@LPMA) 10 x 9 (@iheartpoptarts, @roborovsky, @2014, @idratherjack, @soratami, @Ray, @phily693, @Remorque, @Cutlery)

Lowest: 1 x 1 (@Hudweiser) 2 x 2 (@geomixes, @Eric) 3 x 1 (@31entrance)

DJHazey: 6.5

Album: Whigfield (1995)

Best Charts: #1 (UK), #4 (Austria), #2 (Denmark), #2 (France), #1 (Germany), #2 (Iceland), #1 (Ireland), #1 (Italy), #7 (Netherlands), #2 (Norway), #1 (Scotland), #1 (Spain), #9 (Sweden), #1 (Switzerland), #3 (Zimbabwe)

Producers: Larry Pignagnoli (J.K., Ann Lee)

Oh my god you guys life is hard etc.

I was gonna rush through this one tonight before I went out. And I thought, good. That's so perfectly 'Saturday Night' appropriate. It's the ultimate getting-ready-for-a-night-on-the-town song. It's what Whigfield would want me to do.

But so much for that. I'm forever slow at this and the whole trombolese thing took up a lot of time. (What even is that anyway? I've decided it's the musical language spoken by trombones, because I still haven't quite got over the alien story and you know Eiffel 65 would prob make that up.)

So I had my night out and now I'm dashing off a very messy elimination off the top of my head while literally in bed because it's also what Whigfield would want me to do. In fact I think Whigfield would be proud.

'Saturday Night', guys. It's iconic.

Because it's 2 AM, I'm recycling my old Ultimate PJ writeup. I think I did that one at 4 or 5 AM, so I'm improving. Look at me! *collapses*

iheartpoptarts:
    "Please tell me somebody else remembers Dance Mix 95. It’s definitely a Canada thing, it’s probably a you-had-to-grow-up-in-the-90s thing, and it might even be a you-had-to-go-to-my-school thing, but at one point in time, it was the CD you had to have. Everyone knew it and most everyone owned it. (Oddly enough, nobody ever cared as much about Dance Mix 94 or Dance Mix 96. Don’t ask me why.)

So here we have the soundtrack to my elementary school life—at least, for a year or two. ([Link I can't embed due to the 5 video per post limit] if you’re interested, and it helps if you’re a Eurodance fan.) ‘Saturday Night’ was the first track on it. And it was my jam.

To this day, it remains my jam forever. I’ll play it while I’m getting ready to go out. I’ll play it while I’m running. I’ll play it on a Tuesday morning on the way to the office and still love the hell out of life.

And let’s end this on an extremely unrealistic note: I want to go back in time and go clubbing in Denmark in the 90s, because I’m pretty sure it must have been the happiest place in the world."

Okay, so that wasn't super helpful because I mostly wrote about a dance compilation.

But you see? It is a Canada thing. @LPMA gets it. Dance Mix 95 is legitimately in the Museum of I Have No Idea What That Place Is Called But Something Media Related Anyway in Toronto. I'll show you guys sometime. And no, I didn't put it there.

And it seems I've wanted to go on some Eurodance retro trip for so long that I think @DJHazey and I are gonna build a time machine.

Oh, and confession time? I don't know this 'Saturday Night' dance routine whatever it is. That must be a UK thing. Whigfield has no idea where it comes from either. According to Wiki people think an aerobics instructor at a resort made it up. How 90s.

Here's more 'Saturday Night' over the years.

Late 90s:

2000s:

2000s again, because this one is my fave remix and it's all glittery and insane:

2010s:

Saturday:

@GhettoPrincess (7) - If you didn’t know the dance to this and you grew up in the 90’s you should be ashamed.

*cries in igloo*

@phily693 (10) - Still a bop! I’m sad that I was too young to be part of the age group that knew the dance routine. So iconic!​

@A$AP Robbie (9) - In terms of school disco dance moves, this destroys the Macarena.

Asksdfhskdjfkdjshfkd what even is it.

@WowWowWowWow (9) - I don't think this song ever charted in the USA? Or at least not at the same levels that some of the others did. So I don't have the visceral reaction to it that I imagine some of the other voters might have. I don't even know when I actually heard it for the first time. I also vaguely recall watching clips of some British show where the audience was doing all the dance moves to famous songs, such as Tragedy by Steps, and I think there was one for Saturday Night? Well I hope Sannie invested her royalties wisely (if she even got royalties). The Whigfield EP called W from 2012 is pretty decent too.

Americans know it too?!

@Cutlery (10) - A dancefloor, megamix, party afterhours staple

@Seventeen Days (6.25) - That weird little “ba ba ba” melody behind it seriously sounds like an autotuned sheep. It’s kind of distracting. Otherwise, this is a decent bop.

@sfmartin (9) - Iconic but this is a case when the ubiquity of the track detracts from the enjoyment. Ive heard it so many times i've reached saturation point.

Not me. It'll make me happy forever.

@One Stop Candy Shop (7.5) - It's basic in a way and she sings it in a very understated way. Lovely song though.

@CasuallyCrazed (7) - Such a cute song. Missing any real oomph, but still makes me feel warm & fuzzy.

@Ray (10) - 10+ is the only non-troll score for this song I am willing to accept.

You. I like you.

@ohnoitisnathan (9.5) - Simple but catchy.

@rav4boy (7) - I actually preferred the next single, Another Day With You.

@berserkboi (9.1) - Classic.

@Sprockrooster (9) - Very calm and lush without being middle of the road. Put me on a beach on a Saturday Night with a campfire, some marshmellows a vanilla cigar, cocktails and this song will have me chilling so damn good.

...So can we hang out?

Monday:

@Hudweiser (1) - I hated this in 1994 and the situation has never changed. Another Day was just as terrible, but she did improve a lot thereafter.

@geomixes (1) - I absolutely hated this song, its was cheap, nasty and annoying, sorry

@Empty Shoebox (4) - The quacking noise. End it.

@Eric (2) - I should love this song but have always had a pathological and irrational hate of it (maybe traumatised by being unable to do the dance routine!)

*sigh* Poor my life.

---

I'm going to bed.

Happy Saturday to you! xx

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    LPMA, ThisIsRogue, Cutlery and 12 others like this.
  18. Americans who wish they weren’t Americans have heard of it, yes!

I found the clip I was referencing:

19. Now I can't even blame it on not being from the UK!

20. Bop central!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.