#9. Aqua - Doctor Jones - 8.682
10 x 11 (@iheartpoptarts
, @Empty Shoebox
, @One Stop Candy Shop
) 9.5 x 4 (@DJHazey
5 x 1 (@A$AP Robbie
) 5.5 x 2 (@Hudweiser
#1 (UK), #1 (Australia), #8 (Austria), #3 (Belgium), #1 (Denmark), #6 (Finland), #7 (Germany), #1 (Ireland), #1 (Italy), #3 (Netherlands), #2 (New Zealand), #1 (Scotland), #6 (Spain), #2 (Sweden)
Claus Norreen and Søren Rasted (of Aqua), Jam & Delgado (Daze, Ace of Base, Hit 'n' Hide)
Check me out in the jungle! A volcano's erupting in the background but nobody seems to mind much and I've got this lovely flower garland. Oh heyyyyyyy Doctor Jones, want one?
Sure! Okay, bye!
I've never felt more alone! Let me call you on my telegraph. At least I think that's what that is.
Baby I am missing you etc. etc.
Hang on a sec and I'll put on my safari outfit and go find you! Soren and Claus can drive my canoe.
I can't believe our voters just kicked out Aqua and
Denmark! I'm going to bed.
Heeeeeeelp! We've been captured by guys with pointy sticks and it looks like they're about to eat us 'Bon Appetit' style!
Doctor Jones! Jones!
*wakes up now*
And then you save us and we all live happily ever after.
Woohoo! Dance party in the jungle!
All right, enough Aqua roleplay for the time being. So there we have 'Doctor Jones'. It's very obviously based off Indiana Jones, but my 90s kid self failed to catch on because, hey, that was an 80s thing, and it didn't click with me till a good ten years later. Like, oh.
It's Aqua's biggest non-'Barbie Girl' hit in a lot of places. Only in the US it's 'Lollipop'. So at the end of the day, we put in both, because it makes sense and we love them.
In other randomness, it's definitely the easiest Aqua song to do at karaoke. Just take my word for it. 'Cartoon Heroes' is the hardest because who can even sing that high. @DJHazey
, I hope you're paying attention because one day when they invent plug.karaoke this is happening.
Oh, and some karaoke places like to mistranscribe the "ah yippee yi ooh" bits as "I piyaiiiiiiiioooooo" and I don't even know how.
The Metro Remix is also all kinds of euphoric and amazing and it will make your life better once you've already played the original 8745683475 times and you need something new to bop to. Trust me.
The Feeling Is Right:
Belgian TV had the right idea...
@One Stop Candy Shop
(10) - Timeless. When this was a hit here in Belgium, a tv station had a fuck-up and played the video 6 times in a row. Now that was a good half hour of television!
As did generic American Christmas movies...
(8) - Feel like Doctor Jones didn't really get an official push in the USA? (Although Wikipedia tells me that Jessica Biel sings it in I'll Be Home For Christmas?!?) My point being that this is fine enough, but it never cemented a place in my heart like the other songs did......
And @Sprockrooster's elementary school...
(10) - At elementary school we made a complete routine on this song for the farewell of one of our teachers. I absolutely adored that and instantly think of that listening to that.
And you guys, of course...
(10) - I adore how bubbly and cheerful the instrumental is
(10) - Awesome!
The verses may be the strong point here...
(8) - One of their catchiest songs ever, although there’s almost something too easy about that chorus.
(9) - The verses are perfect, as is apey aye ooh, the chorus isn't as good.
It's an Aqua fave for a lot of us...
(10) - Now this was by far their best song. So catchy, and deserving of its 7 week stint at the top in Oz. Any Australians reading this who don't want the song ruined, scroll past this: I can't un-hear "APIA" ooh ooh ah, though. APIA = the acronym of Australian Pensioner's Insurance Agency, who run annoying TV ads. It really sounds like Lene is singing that to me now.
(9.5) - Definitely Aqua’s best song and it’s very much underappreciated/forgotten about it. It’s camp madness at its best.
(8.75) - This has always been my favorite Aqua track. Everything about it clicks for me - the cricket and synth intro, the pre-chorus call and response vocals between René and Lene, and that catchy-as-HELL chorus.
And so I take it there won't be too many complaints about the order of today's eliminations...
(10) - Non Aqua fans will disagree here, but this is far superior to Barbie Girl. It comes with a melody that will rattle round your head for some time.
(8.5) - Superior to Barbie Girl
(7) - I prefer this to ‘Barbie Girl’, but if ‘Turn Back Time’ was in the rate it would have been my 11.
You're not alone there!
The Summer Is Gone:
(5) - Its probably ridiculous to make this point in a Euro Bangers Rate, but man, Aqua's best song was Turn Back Time. Pretty unusual for me to favour a ballad over a banger, but here were are.
Hehe, one of these days we'll have an Aqua rate and I will fight you.
More because more: