iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END | Page 69 | The Popjustice Forum

iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Glad I'm not the only one who thought this when they saw that cover.

DJHazey, iheartpoptarts and Amnesia like this.
  2. [​IMG]

Oh my love, I know you are my Candyman...

[​IMG]

Let's fight for love again!

[​IMG]

Sometimes the feeling is right, when you fall in love...

[​IMG]

Love generation! Love generation!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #6. Haddaway - What Is Love - 8.989

After 5: #2
    After 10: #1
    After 15: #1
    After 20: #2
    After 25: #3
    After 30: #2
    Final: #6

Highest: 11 x 2 (@Hudweiser, @P Grandson) 10 x 18 (@iheartpoptarts, @DJHazey, @WowWowWowWow, @berserkboi, @roborovsky, @CasuallyCrazed, @Ana Raquel, @sfmartin, @31entrance, @Eric, @LPMA, @Sprockrooster, @ohnoitisnathan, @phily693, @Remorque, @Conan, @Cutlery, @ThisIsRogue)

Lowest: 1.1 x 1 (@Untouchable Ace), 5.5 x 1 (@Seventeen Days), 7 x 2 (@idratherjack, @Aester)

Album: The Album (1993)

Best Charts: #2 (UK), #11 (US), #12 (Australia), #1 (Austria), #1 (Belgium), #17 (Canada), #1 (Denmark), #1 (Finland), #1 (France), #2 (Germany), #3 (Iceland) #1 (Ireland), #1 (Italy), #1 (Netherlands), #1 (Norway), #1 (Portugal), #1 (Spain), #2 (Sweden), #1 (Switzerland), #1 (Zimbabwe)

Producers: Dee Dee Halligan and Junior Torello (The Weather Girls, Soultans)

@DJHazey's given you the history of Haddaway already, so let's get right to the million dollar question—what is love, anyway?

Well, says Haddaway, we all need to come up with our own definitions. "It's unique and individual. For me, it has to do with trust, honesty, and dedication."

And there we have it.

In addition to being a huge Eurodance smash in its own right, 'What Is Love' took on a second life after it pretty much made the 90s clubbing saga A Night at the Roxbury.

This might be one of the most Eurodance soundtracks ever, also featuring rate faves La Bouche, Snap!, and Amber, as well as N-Trance, No Mercy, Jocelyn Enriquez, and Ace of Base. Have fun, guys!

In fact, 'What Is Love' is on it not once but twice. Here's the other version for you to bop to:

Apparently Haddaway's later albums were more soulful and less dancey, and he's struggled to repeat the mainstream commercial success of his earlier stuff. Hmmmm, I wonder why.

He hit the 00s reality TV circuit without much luck. In 2004, he competed on the German show Comeback – Die große Chance against Benjamin Boyce (from the very Eurodancey boyband Caught in the Act), C.C. Catch (on my PJOPS potentials list somewhere), Coolio (the kinda G the little homies wanna be like), Emilia (a big big girl in a big big world), Limahl (of the NeverEnding Story song), some other only-in-Germany celebs, and a guy named Chris Norman (I have no idea, looks very Dad rock) who took the title.

He then tried the same thing a year later on the UK show Hit Me Baby One More Time (do Max Martin and friends get paid for this?), where he lost in his heat to eventual winner Shakin' Stevens. People are bad at voting in these things.

Dr. Alban went full 90s nostalgia with him on 'I Love the 90s'—we won't post that again. But in a happy ending of sorts, Haddaway finally made his return with a minor US dance hit in 2012.

Good times.

What Is Right:

The 10s came easily...

@CasuallyCrazed (10) - Has to be one of the best crafted dance songs of all time. Vocal, melody, production — 10s 10s 10s across the board.

@Sprockrooster (10) - Well fuck. A solid 10 if there ever was one. Definitely a song I would be rooting hard for to win it, but in this rate not even a real 11-contender. That post-chorus is an absolute joyride.

But for others, an 11 was a possibility...

@Cutlery (10) - A stone cold CLASSIC and one of the candidates for my 11! It’s all about the mix of male and female vocals, and that fantastically catchy hook

@sfmartin (10) - Absolute classic, clearly in contention for my 11. All the parts are just excellent. The lyrics and melody are inspired and then the inspired "woah a woahs" and then the breakdown. A pioneering example of eurodance that should be right at the top of this rate.

Well, so much for that. But some of you got what you wished for...

@berserkboi (10) - HAS TO FINISH IN THE TOP 10!!!

I'll be posting these in a bit (video limit, life is hard)...

@rav4boy (8) - So much better when mixed with Madonna’s Living For Love.

@WowWowWowWow (10) - Obviously the Roxbury connection is hard to ignore. But if you're able to separate out the mental image of Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan when this song comes on, I've found more recently that it's actually a really good song, independent of any associations. Or maybe I just like the Kiesza version too much.

'What Is Love' doesn't get old...

@roborovsky (10) - An absolute monster of a song and it hasn’t aged.

@31entrance (10) - pretty sure I will never get tired of this, in many ways the ultimate eurodance song.

@One Stop Candy Shop (8) - Still massive after all these years.

Or maybe it does, but it didn't matter much...

@Empty Shoebox (9) - I may have heard this far too many times that It gets on my nerves and I won't give it a ten. or it could be that terrible advert from a Well Known German Car Manufacturer. Still, this song is brilliantly infectious.

The memories are, well, varied...

@Eric (10) - Transports me back to school discos in the early 1990s and a brilliant drunken singalong song!

@Ray (8) - I remembered this as not being very good. I was wrong.

And its legacy remains intact!

@phily693 (10) - Simply iconic!

@ohnoitisnathan (10) - A classic, though 'Rock My Heart' (not in this rate) was actually my fave of his.

@A$AP Robbie (9) - The definitive pop music question.

It is indeed.

What Is Wrong:

@Seventeen Days (5.5) - (Insert reference to Night at the Roxbury here) I do have a soft spot for this song, but I feel like people often overlook the fact that it’s just an average track. Call it nostalgia, I guess.

Baby, don't hurt me.

What Is Love:

@Hudweiser (11) - I'd say without hesitation that this was the best dance record of the 1990s. Everything works, from his perfect voice, the female ad-libs, the entire structure of the song. I NEVER miss dancing to this if it comes on.

---

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  3. Some more minor Haddaway hits we haven't posted yet (they work, though the YouTube channel is flopping in the thumbnail department):

Kiesza:

VS Madonna:

And a boyband. You didn't think I'd do this without a boyband, did you?

soratami, DJHazey, Ezz and 7 others like this.

4. Oh X Factor USA. You tried it.

5. Ana Raquel, DJHazey, sfmartin and 6 others like this.
  6. P.S. In case anyone was curious...

7. Even in 2016... Haddaway still had(daway) it!

The young lady on the other hand... I don’t know, why she is there, her voice is not great, but she don’t care...

8. WHAT A TOP FIVE

phily693, DJHazey, Ezz and 4 others like this.
  9. Let's just say that 'What Is Love' was 1.1 reason I almost didn't do this rate.

That's it my short lived rate villainy is over, I think?

10. Both Rhythm of the Night and Boom Boom Boom are out of their depth. Let's lose them before top 3.

Gina G at #3 and then we have an icon8c winner either way.

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  11. What Is Love out of the top 5? Below Boom Boom Boom?

[​IMG]

12. Oh no no no.

[​IMG]

13. Haddaway Recap

18. Life - 7.800
    6. What Is Love - 8.989

Highest: @31entrance (10.5) - @sfmartin (10) - @ohnoitisnathan (10) - @phily693 (10) - @Remorque (10) - @Conan (10) - @CasuallyCrazed (9.75) - @P Grandson (9.7)

Lowest: @Untouchable Ace (5.1) - @Aester (5.5) - @Ray (5.5)

Artist Ranking

Haddaway - 8.394
    Livin' Joy - 8.231
    Aqua - 8.230
    Alice Deejay - 8.178
    La Bouche - 8.146
    Amber 7.921
    2 Unlimited - 7.763
    Gala - 7.597
    Berri - 7.500
    Dr. Alban - 7.479
    Black Box - 7.447
    Daze - 7.428
    Whigfield - 7.420
    Mr. President - 7.272
    Cappella - 7.180
    Alex Party - 7.161
    Ann Lee - 7.121
    Paradisio - 7.108
    Me & My - 7.053
    Eiffel 65 - 6.983
    Captain Hollywood Project - 6.929
    Reset - 6.854
    Koko - 6.808
    E-Type - 6.774
    Fun Factory - 6.628
    Le Click - 6.617
    Hit 'n' Hide - 6.497
    Toy-Box - 6.467
    DJ Bobo - 6.458
    Emjay - 6.442
    T-Spoon - 6.346
    Bambee - 6.303
    Twenty 4 Seven - 6.292
    Maxx - 6.236
    Technotronic - 6.228
    Smile.dk - 6.139
    Crispy - 6.108
    Solid Base - 6.010
    Capital Sound - 5.889
    Miss Papaya - 5.478
    Tiggy - 5.289

-------------------------

"What is Love" was actually the song @iheartpoptarts and I were kind of rooting for just because we thought it would've been iconic for a male-led act to win this rate. Almost happened until that 1.1 came in!

This is again how close things were...if we take @Untouchable Ace's score out then "What is Love" wins the rate.​

14. So we've reached the Top 5 and also the first song to go above a 9 average.

This one was outside of the Top 5 but benefited from the last minute dismantling of "What Is Love" to sneak in there.

There's actually another song that I had a stronger "please don't win" feeling towards, but this wasn't far behind. Out of the Top 5 songs I'd rank this at #4.

And so Culture Beat wins Germany aka the unofficial home of 90s Eurodance, but will they win the whole rate? Stay tuned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #5. Snap! - Rhythm Is A Dancer - 9.036

After 5: #7
    After 10: #7
    After 15: #5
    After 20: #5
    After 25: #4
    After 30: #5
    Final: #5

Leaderboard Average: #6

So basically what happened was Snap! was leading our eventual #4 song near the end, but both songs ended up passing Haddaway so Snap! stayed in the Top 5. At one point, Snap! was ahead of our eventual winner.

Highest: 11 (@2014) 10 x 15 (@WowWowWowWow, @Hudweiser, @CasuallyCrazed. @P Grandson, @geomixes, @sfmartin, @idratherjack, @soratami, @Empty Shoebox, @Eric, @LPMA, @Sprockrooster, @Ray, @ohnoitisnathan, @phily693, @Conan, @ThisIsRogue) 9.7 (@berserkboi)

Lowest: 5 (@31entrance) 7 x 3 (@Daniel_O, @Seventeen Days, @One Stop Candy Shop) 7.5 (@Cutlery)

My Score: 8

iheartpoptarts: 9

I probably overscored this just a tad in retrospect. It's a good song for sure, but I don't know I just find this and another song in our Top 5 a little bland/vanilla in comparison to other Eurodance anthems. Nothing stands out too much for me like other songs do.

Album: The Madman's Return (1992)

Charts: #1 (Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, UK, Zimbabwe) #2 (Sweden) #3 (Australia, Greece) #5 (U.S.) #7 (Finland) #10 (Portugal) #11 (Denmark, New Zealand) #19 (Canada) #2 (UK Year-End) #25 (Billboard Year-End) Platinum (Germany) Gold (Australia, Austria, France, Sweden, UK, U.S.)

Producers: Benito Benites and John "Virgo" Garrett III

-"Rhythm Is a Dancer" won the 1992 Echo Award for Best Selling Single of the Year (not just in the dance category)

-In the UK it was second best selling single of the year, only surpassed by Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You"

-The rap lyrics are a modified version of the following essay John Perry Barlow called "Being in Nothingness Virtual Reality and the Pioneers of Cyberspace"

How very like the future this place might be: a tiny world just big enough to support the cubicle of one Knowledge Worker. I feel a wave of loneliness and head back down. But I'm going too fast. I plunge right on through the office floor and into the bottomless indigo below. Suddenly I can't remember how to stop and turn around. Do I point behind myself? Do I have to turn around before I can point? I flip into brain fugue.

-The song contains what one critic called the worst lyric of all-time. One that they would never be able to get away with today: "I'm as serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer". Though this kind of lyric had been used in hip hop songs since the late 80s. It's on the single version of the song but not on the original album version. In fact, "Rhythm Is a Dancer" was originally a bonus track on Madman's Return and not even on the initial vinyl release.

-It was the first single with new vocalist Thea Austin because after laying down vocals for the track original vocalist Penny Ford left the band due to tensions with rapper Turbo B. However she as tasked with finding a new singer and said this about it in an interview: "They paid me a whole lot of money to pick somebody and bring 'em back over here (Germany). Because by that time I had signed with Sony, which meant contractually I could no longer sing for them, because they were BMG. But I was not signed to Sony as a writer. So I could still write for them. So I'm not sure how it sorted out, but the girl that came after me, she was interviewing me in the same way that you are right now for a magazine, and she said she was also a songwriter. Her name is Thea Austin, and she asked me if I would listen to her song. And I don't make a point of listening to everybody's songs, I just can't listen to them all. But I listened to this song and I liked it and I wanted it for my album. So I needed to get rid of her so she didn't need that song anymore. So I asked her if she had a passport. She did, and she happens to come from the same small little ghetto outside of Pittsburgh that Turbo did. And three days later she was on a plane coming over here making another massive hit for Snap!, 'Rhythm is a Dancer.'

-The song contains a riff from the 1984 song "Auto Man" by Newcleus

-In a 2017 book 'Stars of 90s Dance Pop: 29 Hitmakers Discuss Their Careers, Thea Austin has this to say:

"I believe "Rhythm Is a Dancer" resonates so powerfully because it is spiritually and creatively blessed. The producers and I had amazing energy and great intent in our creative process. The melodies are hypnotic and make people feel good, like a nursery rhyme that people gravitate towards. The music is so unique in that there was and is no other song that sounds like "Rhythm Is a Dancer". To me, it was a perfect marriage of music and voice. People wanted a song like that back then—something to kickstart their day, free them up. It was a time in life that people were being liberated, like in South Africa or for the LGBT community in the States, and the song represents that liberation for many people."

-VH1 placed "Rhythm Is a Dancer" at #36 on their 100 Greatest Dance Songs list.

-MTV Dance placed it at #4 on their 100 Biggest 90s Dance Anthems list.

-In 2012, "Rhythm Is a Dancer" was chosen "Best Song of the Nineties" by Belgian Radio MNM for the 4th year in a row in their Nineties Top 99 countdown.

-It was covered many times, including by the popular TV show Kids Incorporated in 1993:

-Bastille's 2013 single "Of the Night" was a mashup of this and Corona's "Rhythm of the Night".

Free your mind and join us:

@WowWowWowWow (10) - This song brings so much atmosphere! From the opening notes, I can feel myself inside one of those abandoned warehouses where they filmed Eurodance videos, preferably with some kind of fan spinning in shadow behind me. Impossible to not tap your toes, that backbeat is everything. I'm glad this was in the rate and not "The Power," because I much prefer this one. Although whoever did the survey of the worst song lyrics of all time where (if I remember correctly) "I'm serious as cancer, when I say rhythm is a dancer" came in the top 3, was right on the money.

@A$AP Robbie (9) - I probably prefer The Power, but this is iconic.

@berserkboi (9.7) - Classic.

@CasuallyCrazed (10) - Essential 90s staple. This is flawless.

@geomixes (10) - Whew, the definitive 90s dance song?, also, its easy to forget how huge Snap! were in the UK and all over Europe, I adored them

@sfmartin (10) - Another iconic track. This was among my first experiences of proper dance music at about 7 years old, my uncle playing it. I had never heard anything like it and asked for the CD. My first ever compilation, it had many of the tracks in this rate (most of the 10's) That bassline is something else. I love the way it takes different directions throughout the song. "I'm serious as cancer" though??

Yes, I guess the bassline would be the standout for me as well as I listen to it typing this.

@Empty Shoebox (10) - Even the rap section can't stop this from getting a ten. Or maybe you just needed to be there at the time. I don't know.

It is one of the weakest raps in the rate though.

@Eric (10) - The way this song builds up is amazing. It's so melodic and almost melancholic at times, contrasting with the rap and beat. I think this multi-layered nature of the song is why it has a place in my heart.

The atmospheric intro is nice indeed.

@Seventeen Days (7) - Speaking of cringeworthy, who was drunk when they come up with the lyric “I’m as serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer”? Leaving that mess aside, this is a Eurodance classic.

@One Stop Candy Shop (7) - I too am often serious as cancer.

Real McCoy hater next smh...

@Sprockrooster (10) - Well fuck. After a traptynch of three undanceable tracks this POPS THE FUCK OFF. As it always does. Iconic video. Iconic song. Iconic winner. I mean this has to win right?!

@Ray (10) - Like this song deserves a score lower than 10!

Like all those 0s you gave deserved it!

@ohnoitisnathan (10) - What started the whole Eurodance thing, really. A classic, and a contender for my 11. I first heard/saw this on a music video program in Australia called rage, at about 5:30 on a Saturday morning (yes, I used to watch it in real time) as a new release, before the top 60 chart commenced. I remember thinking it was a great song, but I'd probably never hear it again, because their previous single, 'Colour of Love', had flopped, and there didn't seem to be any buzz around their second album. I was pleasantly surprised when 'Rhythm...' crashed into the charts about 6 weeks later (I assumed its chance had already passed by that point).

Yes, we owe a lot to Snap! and their success.

@phily693 (10) - I think if you were to ask anyone to name a 90s Eurodance classic, this would be what they’d say. And rightly so. It pops off even today. It might not be as brash as other hits in the same vein but those beats and synths are just iconic.

Honestly I'd name "What Is Love" or "Be My Lover" first.

Serious as something less serious than cancer:

@rav4boy (8) - I love the beginning. The rest of the song doesn’t hold up.

@31entrance (5) - pretty average.

Our 11:

We know what he'll be rooting for in the coming days..

@2014 (11) - number 1 when I was born so it had to get it, an all-time classic bop, just punching out Better Off Alone, Rhythm Of The Night, Another Night and Dreamer for me (my top 5 in this rate right there) xx

15. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Nooooo top 5 is great though! Rhythm Of The Night for the win now please!

Ezz, iheartpoptarts, sfmartin and 3 others like this.
  16. I'll probably be the lowest score in both Mr. Vain and Just a Little Bit

17. Once again, Boom Boom over this?

soratami, Ezz, iheartpoptarts and 3 others like this.
  18. Iconic! Better than T'Pau China In Your Hand...

But a tragic loss. Hoped for a surprise victory there!

19. Boom Boom is such trash, how did it sneak into the top 4? That particular Vengabus should have parked at #35.
    [​IMG]

soratami, Ezz, iheartpoptarts and 6 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.