iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END | Page 71 | The Popjustice Forum

iheartHazey's 90s EURODANCE PARTY: Wanna go for a rate? - THE END

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Yikes, work has been absolutely hell today so let's make this short and sweet because it's going to hurt for a lot of people.

Corona vs. Culture Beat vs. Gina G

Well going into the rate I personally saw all three of these as winning contenders. @iheartpoptarts even thought Gina G would be "too obvious of a winner" but it seems most everyone here thinks she'd be a surprise winner.

I'm also surprised that Culture Beat seems to either have naysayers or it's crickets because nobody has said anything throughout the rate about "Mr. Vain". Maybe they just assumed it'd be here all along?

Then there's Corona, undoubtedly one of the first songs anyone names when asked to provide a 90s bop. It seems to be picking up a lot of steam as a favorite as we wind things down in our finale 3.

This rate has probably provided more twists and turns than anyone can remember..

So how about one more?

And how about your hosts get a tiny bit of revenge by losing their lowest scores remaining?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #3. Corona - The Rhythm Of The Night - 9.054

(only .004 above "Boom Boom Boom Boom" and this is only .003 below the song at #2!)

After 5: #1
    After 10: #2
    After 15: #2
    After 20: #1
    After 25: #1
    After 30: #4
    Final: #3

Leaderboard Average: #2

That's right folks, this song was your leader for the longest period of time. That's something your hosts were not exactly thrilled about, but we were thrilled whenever "What Is Love" was at #1. Then a string of mediocre scores ended up sending "Rhythm of the Night" almost out of the Top 5 before recovering for a #3 placement.

Highest: 11 x 4 (@roborovsky, @GhettoPrincess, @sfmartin, @Cutlery) 10 x 14 (@WowWowWowWow, @dancingwithmyself, @CasuallyCrazed, @Ana Raquel, @2014, @idratherjack, @soratami, @Empty Shoebox, @Eric, @Ray, @phily693, @Remorque, @Conan, @ThisIsRogue)

Lowest: 4 (@Aester) 5.1 (@Untouchable Ace) 7 x 3 (@DJHazey, @Sprockrooster, @rav4boy)

iheartpoptarts: 8

I have a 10 and an 8 left and she has two 9s left.

Album: The Rhythm Of The Night (1995)

Charts: #1 (Italy) #2 (Canada, Scotland, UK) #3 (France, Ireland, Spain) #4 (Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland) #5 (Netherlands) #6 (Austria) #7 (New Zealand) #8 (Australia, Germany) #11 (U.S.) #13 (Belgium) #28 (Sweden) #1 (Italy Year-End) #54 (Billboard Year-End) Gold (Australia, France, Germany, UK)

Producers: Lee Marrow (Cappella)

Let's look at some reviews for "Rhythm of the Night"

Billboard - "Recent No. 1 U.K./European hit is finally issued domestically, and it already appears to be on the road to meeting with similar success here. Thumping Italo disco beats support glossy faux-rave synths and a diva vocal that is forceful without being overly aggressive. A wildly catchy and repetitive chorus already has begun to woo radio programmers in several major markets on import."

Gavin Report - "Key programmers are catching on to this one and fast-for one very good reason: It's hot! Coming off a number one run in the U.K., Corona is set up to blowout Stateside."

Music & Media - "Nocturnal dance party animals and daytime radio programmers sweat to the pulsating Euro beat. When the mistress of seduction hits the mike, only a glass of Corona can cool you down."

As we all know, the face of Corona was Brazilian model/singer Olga Maria de Souza but the theory was that she just did lip syncing so the voice you hear on "Rhythm of the Night" is of Jenny Bersola.

Apparently the song is inspired by the song "Save Me" by the group Say When!

There was also a version done by Cascada in 2012.

UK X-Factor finalists sang the song in 2010.

And of course I actually discovered/re-discovered the song during GTA V like I did with many songs from that outstanding soundtrack.

Oh, I can ease you of your pain:

@WowWowWowWow (10) - When I was a teenage European wannabe in training, there was a radio show called Open House Party that aired every Saturday night. In addition to playing all the big hits of the day, they always had a 3-song dance mix later on in the evening, allegedly from some international nightclub (I'm sure it was just somebody's basement). All this to say that I was exposed to so many of these songs from that show, and I'm grateful for that! What I am NOT grateful for is the disgusting Hermes House Band cover version that was later performed on the X Factor... and as much as I love Alphabeat, we did not need an Alphabeat knockoff version of Rhythm of the Night!!!

Oops, I hope that's not the version I posted above.

@berserkboi (9.6) - Corona, saving the Italy list!

@CasuallyCrazed (10) - I could listen to this song 100x a day for the rest of my life. Infinitely replayable.

@31entrance (9) - so this is where' Cascada's "Rhythm of the Night" comes from…

Me with many of their early songs, teebs.

@Empty Shoebox (10) - I believe that this is the kind of record that people describe as 'iconic'. It's one of the ones in this rate that I've always liked, so I was never going to give it any other score, was I?

Yas, get that Popjustice lingo down.

@Eric (10) - For me, this is the sound and song I instantly associate with Eurodance - happiness, summer, optimism, cheesy nightclubs.

@Seventeen Days (10) - A club classic. I swear every time this comes on, I have to hit repeat and hear it again.

@Ray (10) - WHAT A MONSTER SONG. I can’t imagine myself not dancing to this if I heard it anywhere, including a supermarket. Everything about this is great in exactly the way everything about Alice Deejay ‘songs’ is wrong. Can I please ask for the Pet Shop Boys Discovery tour medley with ‘Left To My Own Devices’?

Just had to get an Alice Deejay shot in there, didn't you?

@One Stop Candy Shop (8.5) - Classic. That's all.

@A$AP Robbie (9) - As iconic as openings go really.

@phily693 (10) - Sadly Bastille’s version tends to creep into my brain when I think of this. Thankfully this version is better. The production is classic Eurodance.

Already posted that in the "Rhythm Is A Dancer" reveal or I would now (I'm out of video embeds).

Our 11s:

@Cutlery (11) - So damn ICONIC. Gotta love how acts like Corona and Black Box pioneered the uncredited-vocals-woman-in-video-isn’t-lead-singer movement

@sfmartin (11) - Undeniable melody. This song is the crowning jewel of 90s dance. This song has it all. Uplifting, vocals. I love the original for having more parts but the radio edit which is the one i know and love is the one for me. Synthesising the best parts and then just amping it all up.

@GhettoPrincess (11) - Just brilliant. It just makes me happy listening to it and that’s when you know you’ve created a damn good song….. Now let me bop.

@roborovsky (11) - This isn’t just one of the best Eurodance songs of all time; it’s one of the best songs of all time, period. Anthemic. Euphoric. But it’s got to be the Rapino Brothers Remix - which I think was the UK radio edit - which elevates it to another level.

Please think again I'm on my knees:

@ohnoitisnathan (8.5) - Good, but a little over-rated, I think. It could be better.

@rav4boy (7) - I used to really like it but it chronically overplayed on the radio, which ruined my enjoyment of the song.

@Sprockrooster (7) - This actually makes me want to play Rhythm Is A Dancer instead.

Corona Recap

13. Baby Baby - 8.349
    3. Rhythm Of The Night - 9.054

Highest: @roborovsky (10.5) - @GhettoPrincess (10.5) - @sfmartin (10.5) - @idratherjack (10) - @ThisIsRogue (10)

Lowest: @Aester (5.25) - @Daniel_O (6.5) - @Untouchable Ace (6.7)

Artist Ranking

Snap! - 9.036
    Corona - 8.701
    Haddaway - 8.394
    Livin' Joy - 8.231
    Aqua - 8.230
    Alice Deejay - 8.178
    Vengaboys - 8.156
    La Bouche - 8.146
    Amber 7.921
    2 Unlimited - 7.763
    Gala - 7.597
    Berri - 7.500
    Dr. Alban - 7.479
    Black Box - 7.447
    Daze - 7.428
    Whigfield - 7.420
    Mr. President - 7.272
    Cappella - 7.180
    Alex Party - 7.161
    Ann Lee - 7.121
    Paradisio - 7.108
    Me & My - 7.053
    Eiffel 65 - 6.983
    Captain Hollywood Project - 6.929
    Reset - 6.854
    Koko - 6.808
    E-Type - 6.774
    Fun Factory - 6.628
    Le Click - 6.617
    Hit 'n' Hide - 6.497
    Toy-Box - 6.467
    DJ Bobo - 6.458
    Emjay - 6.442
    T-Spoon - 6.346
    Bambee - 6.303
    Twenty 4 Seven - 6.292
    Maxx - 6.236
    Technotronic - 6.228
    Smile.dk - 6.139
    Crispy - 6.108
    Solid Base - 6.010
    Capital Sound - 5.889
    Miss Papaya - 5.478
    Tiggy - 5.289

[​IMG]
    ITALY RECAP

Average: 7.491

#3. Corona - Rhythm Of The Night - 9.054
    #13. Corona - Baby Baby - 8.349
    #19. Whigfield - Saturday Night - 7.740
    #20. Gala - Freed From Desire - 7.597
    #25. Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee) - 7.517
    #28. Black Box - Strike It Up - 7.447
    #32. Cappella - U Got 2 Let The Music - 7.318
    #35. Alex Party - Don't Give Me Your Life - 7.161
    #37. Ann Lee - 2 Times - 7.121
    #39. Whigfield - Think Of You - 7.100
    #43. Cappella - Move On Baby - 7.042
    #58. Eiffel 65 - Move Your Body - 6.450

1. @sfmartin - 9.333
    2. @iheartpoptarts - 8.833
    3. @phily693 - 8.708
    4. @roborovsky - 8.583
    5. @berserkboi - 8.458
    5. @ohnoitisnathan - 8.458
    7. @Ana Raquel - 8.417
    8. @ThisIsRogue - 8.333
    9. @P Grandson - 8.300
    10. @WowWowWowWow - 8.250
    10. @idratherjack - 8.250
    10. @Sprockrooster - 8.250
    10. @Eric - 8.250
    14. @31entrance - 8.167
    15. @A$AP Robbie - 8.083
    16. @Conan - 8.000
    17. @Remorque - 7.917
    18. @soratami - 7.750
    19. @dancingwithmyself - 7.583

20. @One Stop Candy Shop - 7.292
    21. @Ray - 7.250
    22. @Empty Shoebox - 7.167
    23. @Cutlery - 7.158
    24. @rav4boy - 7.083
    25. @DJHazey - 6.958
    26. @geomixes - 6.917
    27. @GhettoPrincess - 6.833
    28. @Untouchable Ace - 6.792
    29. @CasuallyCrazed - 6.500
    30. @2014 - 6.417
    31. @LPMA - 6.250
    32. @Hudweiser - 6.208
    33. @OspreyQueen - 5.833
    34. @Aester - 5.792
    35. @Daniel_O - 5.500
    36. @Seventeen Days - 5.313

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  2. I HOPE GINA G GETS THE FIRST PLACE SHE DESERVED IN 1996

Alenko, phily693, berserkboi and 10 others like this.
  3. Oh, you guys. I so wanted 'Baby Baby' to beat 'Rhythm of the Night'. And I so wanted Whigfield to beat Corona. This has been a little hard to watch at times!

Does anyone really drink Corona from a glass? Maybe in Europe.

@DJHazey, you're an inspiration to us all and I hope you get through hell soon enough!

berserkboi, WowWowWowWow and DJHazey like this.
  4. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

5. I can't thank you enough for your score! Of all the songs in the Top 10 I'd have hated to see Haddaway win, just never liked it.

A bit gutted about Rhythm of the Night going but you can't complain about Top 3!

6. Okay @WowWowWowWow first you're an Amber stan, then you reference Open House Party? You're my new best friend.

I used to listen to Open House Party religiously! Most of my Eurodance knowledge is a direct result of that show (and it's also why I love This Is Your Night so much).

7. ’Twas, my Hazey. ’Twas. I mean most of the X Factor group songs are egregious but when the song they’re covering is a version that is a mess of hot proportions...

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  8. Yesssssss! OHP played “Coco Jamboo” quite a lot and at first I thought it was Robin S. Silly boy.

9. Oh no, Gina G is gonna win this and I like it but noooooo.

10. I can’t believe this rate is almost over!!! So legendary. I love both the remaining songs but call me Mr. Raider, call me Mr. Wrong, call me Mr. Mr. Vain for the Win!!!

11. I am now backing Culture Beat!

I think the reason no-one has mentioned it too much is that it is such a classic of the Eurodance genre we just all assumed it would do well.

Gina G would certainly be a shock winner!

12. Haddaway out at 6?

A Mr Vain and Ooh Aah final?

[​IMG]

13. What is Love and now Rhythm of the Night plumetting at the end indicates to me this rate should have ended after 25 voters. Mess.

14. I'd like to see Mr Vain win, purely because I don't think it's won a rate before.

15. This is 100% the worst I've ever done in a rate
    A 6.7 and a 5.3 left
    My 11 perched at the bronze spot
    [​IMG]

16. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Hmm I may not be ecstatic at either winner (I'd prefer Gina) but Snap getting an above 9 average? Talent!

17. I don't want this to end!

18. Part 2! 2000's!! Part 2!!!!!!

Ezz, soratami, Ana Raquel and 6 others like this.
  19. CMOOOOON GINA G!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.