☁️ Imagine a Rate Like That ☁️ The Ariana Grande Rate (#59) | Page 72 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️ Imagine a Rate Like That ☁️ The Ariana Grande Rate (#59)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

4.1%
  2. My Everything

4.1%
  3. Dangerous Woman

51.6%
  4. Sweetener

11.5%
  5. thank u, next

28.7%
  1. Successful, was one of the most instant moments from the album for me.

2. Successful sounds like a Meghan Trainor song and is easily the worst song in Ariana‘s discography.

savilizabeths likes this.
  3. We've gone off the rails in a hurry. *shakes head*

4. Really? Meghan Trainor makes bops like this? Link pls.

It sounds like a Pharrell song to me.

5. We went from a 9.5 to a 2 for me, my head is spinning!

savilizabeths and pop3blow2 like this.
  6. 200w-2.gif

This rate is some whiplash! Oh, Ariana.

7. I was mainly referring to the mind-numbing lyrics to be honest.

savilizabeths likes this.
  8. Hi! Sorry for vanishing! Some emotional things came up over the last couple of days.

It's late but a big one is coming!

9. you:

10. It finally falls.

[​IMG]
    ☁️ BANG BANG ☁️
    (WITH JESSIE J & NICKI MINAJ)

Average: 6.804

It's me, Jessie, and Ari
    If they test me, they sorry
    Ride his uh like a Harley
    Then pull off in his Ferrari
    If he hanging we banging
    Phone ringing, he slanging
    It ain't karaoke night but get the mic 'cause I'm singing

High: 10x8 (@Sprockrooster @GimmeWork @WhatKindOfKylie? @pop3blow2 @Robsolete @RUNAWAY @Slice of Life @Music Is Life) 9x4 (@Dijah. @Dangerous Maknae @ufint @livefrommelbs) 8.75x1 (@VitaminBee) 8.5x2 (@boombazookajoe @myblood) 8x13 (@citoig @Butterfly @blaze_dave @Laurence @Vixen @Ana Raquel @elektroxx @Laura Vanderbooben @daninternational @maikos87 @stoicist @junkos @soratami)
    Low: 0x1 (@SophiaSophia) 1x1 (@Ugly Beauty) 2x1 (@Mirwais Ahmadzaï) 4x4 (@Aester @slaybellz @138Prince @japanbonustrack) 4.25x1 (@AllGagaLike) 4.5x1 (@Cutlery) 5x9 (@OspreyQueen @sapnu puas @superultra @Crisp X @Espeon @happiestgirl @fatyoshi @DJHazey @chrismoyer)
    Total Points: 496.75
    My Score: 6/10

It's time. So many of you have waited for it. It is finally the day to eliminate 'Bang Bang', the iconic(?) collaboration between Ariana Grande, Jessie J and Nicki Minaj. Three pop superstars(?), one big moment. This was inescapable in 2014, like almost every Ariana track released that year. Since then it has also been featured on far too many of her tour setlists, so much so that even she is done with it at this point. Allegedly Ariana originally passed on the song and it was given to Jessie J. Jessie recorded it, Nicki was added and then it was shown to Ariana again, who then decided to remain on the track. Though Jessie has said that she recorded the song first and then asked Ari and Nicki to feature. So honestly, who knows? And at this point, who cares? The point is, they're all on the song.

And let's be real...we'd all prefer it if a certain someone wasn't. Jessie J. Why is she here? It just makes no sense. Sure, I know this was on her album but this is not her song. She is out-sung, out-classed and unpleasant. Ariana and Nicki run away with this. Ari brings the vocals, Nicki spits fire and Jessie is just sort of there to shriek a bit and do the big...climatic note...I think...that's what it's meant to be, right? The only acceptable version of this song is Ariana's solo live versions because she slays that climax and that's just facts. It sounds like it's a strain for Jessie to belt through the song while it sounds effortless for Ariana. It's all just messy.

Positives. Let's be honest, nostalgia is a huge part of the appeal of this. I know it is for me. 2014 was the year I started going to gay bars and we played this to death! Plus, I was in my aggressive Ariana stan phase where I would play the living fuck out of everything she released no matter the quality. I would sing this at the club, I would sing this at karaoke, I would sing this in the car. I think I could belt this song in my sleep. It's so burned into my brain and my heart so I can't help but love it a little. Personally I think Nicki runs away with this. Her verse goes off, even all these years later. Iconic line after iconic line. Honestly, Nicki's collaborations with Ari are almost always excellent. Seriously, why wasn't this just the two of them?!?!?!

Negatives. This. Is. Loud. From beginning to end this is a giant wall of noise. Every aspect of both the vocals and production sounds like it's turned up to a hundred. It's all horns and handclaps and Jessie J's belting and these days it just gives me a headache. Everyone involved is just doing too much. It's a noisy attack to the senses. I just never bother to seek this one out. It's not a song you listen to, it's a song you scream at the top of your lungs while you're drunk at a club or a karaoke bar. It's also something I've heard one too many times. Usually I try not to let a song being overplayed contribute to my dislike for it but not only was this played absolutely everywhere, but Ariana has literally performed it to death. We're all sick of it.

Look, I feel like this post is coming across really negative. I don't hate this song. I have a lot of love for it. Is it good? No, not really but that doesn't mean it won't always have a piece of my heart. It's fun. It takes us all back to a simpler time. It's an absolutely bombastic moment that goes for it with everything it has. I can respect that. So next time I'm at my favourite gay bar, I'll put this one on for old times sake.

I don't even know what I'm writing today but you all had plenty to say. Let's start with @blaze_dave (8) who says: "It goes off." I can't think of an argument to that. @superultra (5) shades Jessie J by...not mentioning her at all: "Nicki’s verse still slaps and Ariana has vocals for days, but—God—this song aged piss-poorly." When I read this to my sister she pointed out that a lot of 2014 music aged piss-poorly. And like...fair. @Holly Something (7.5) lost love for this: "Overplayed, I really went off it despite initially enjoying it." Me. Literally me. @maikos87 (8) sums up my feelings: "Only for those 2014 gay club memories." Shit, I'm feeling nostalgic again! @Milotic (7) also mentions the club: "Again, this is escalated because of how I act when it comes on in the club. Nicki makes this song, though." That first sentence made me think about how I act when 'Shake it Off' comes on in the club despite talking shit about that song usually [email protected] (6) has an important question: "A bop, but it aged so badly for me. Jessie J was so not needed, what is she doing here?" Trying? Maybe? @138Prince (4) only stans for Ari: "I only like the Ari ad libs and live performances where she out sings Jessica." Fun fact. My given name is Jessica so reading that gave me shivers because I felt like I was in trouble or some shit.

@TwistedInnocence (7) doesn't think this meets a certain standard: "It's a basic bop but probably best off her setlist now as it doesn't live up her to other past bops." Besides, she has better hits now. @daninternational (8) makes me want to go to karaoke: "It's never hit the heights for me until a recent karaoke performance. Ariana is just so much better than a Jessie J collab." Were you the one doing the performance? It sounds iconic! @chrismoyer (5) is correct as always: "Even though it’s still kind of a bop, and was great back in 2014, this song is loud and honestly kind of harshly in your face. It’s a good song for a throwback and to hype people up at concerts i guess, Even if it is an attack on your senses. Also, I don’t know care AT ALL for Jessie J lmao, her voice is annoying and she’s so forgotten. Ari and Nicki carried this song." What else is there to say? These are facts. @DJHazey (5) is done making excuses: "I used to say things like "a bop without Jessie J" or "Ariana and Nicki elevate it enough to keep me listening" but honestly I was lying to myself because I realize it's not really worth the trouble anyway. Too loud and noisy for the lack of better description so I can do without it at all." This is...a mood. I feel like I still say this sometimes.

@OspreyQueen (5) makes me laugh by just saying: "No." This should have just been my entire post. @Crisp X (5) also makes me laugh by just saying: "Demi Lovato." Why does this commentary just make perfect sense? @Butterfly (8) is very connected to this: "The song itself hasn't aged the best, but it has such great associations for me as a big part of both the My Everything & The Pinkprint eras that I can't help but still love it. It's my most played Ariana song." Live your truth! I'm happy this makes you happy!! @Dijah. (9) loves fun: "Even with Jessie J’s shrill-ass vocals, this is so much fun." Shrill is a good word. I'm tired so @Laurence (8) is confusing me with this commentary: "Points deducted for the horrific features... The song is all right, nice leftover from the bin but Yikes and formerly bisexual singer Jessie J do not do it any good actually. Still a scream how this charted and contributed to Ariana's album TEA thing. Find the article quick for a kii." What does any of this mean? I bet I'll read this tomorrow and it'll make sense but I'm so exhausted. Why am I writing this while half asleep? @fatyoshi (5) makes some points: "All I can think about with this song is the meme that compared it to how you act when your group project has an individual part to the grade. The accuracy…" That really is a perfect comparison.

Let's hear from our 0 giver before we get to the real stans. @SophiaSophia (0) says: "I really can’t stand this so I deleted it and pretend it doesn’t exist. I’ll elaborate further during the rate." I love pretending things don't exist, and I'm definitely looking forward to hearing this elaboration. @Sprockrooster (10) references the iconic live performances: "All those award show performances being a total mess from this song still gives me life. A ripped dress from Minaj that feels like intentional and Jessie J trying to outsing Ariana every damn time. GIRL, why are you even trying. WHY TRY! This threesome inventing that a messy, but iconic performance can be consistent too. I stan." You know what, you're right. Those performances were great! I miss them! @RUNAWAY (10) shares a vine:

Then says: "If honestly just for this iconic vine or whatever giving me LIFE every time. Honestly the song was a moment and Ari retroactively erasing Jessie’s existence is ICONIC. The good sis Ari DID THAT. Also I LIVE for the performances where she does Nicki’s rap and SLAYS IT, especially at Capital’s Summertime Ball. She really can do everything huh?" I love the enthusiasm in these capitals! And finally, @Slice of Life (10) is expecting to be roasted: "I'm gonna be dragged for this score, aren't i? kii." We've all got to stand up in support of our faves!

I'm so sorry for this messy ass post, but hey...it fits the messy ass song, right? I'm exhausted but I had to get this up so I could get back on track. I love you all and thank you for always being supportive and patient. Next we lose another single...as a part of our first tie of the rate! Guess away and stay safe!

11. [​IMG]

Bye Bye to Bang Bang! I don't know how or why it outlasted so many good songs but I'm glad it's gone now.

12. Now I’m all for a female collaborations especially in the vain of Ari and Gaga where their admiration for each other is adorable. But Bang Bang doesn’t give me that impression due to the phoned in nature of the how collab came to be. Also I’ve never been a fan of Jessie J’s overly stylistic vocal choices.

13. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Ffffffff I forgot I gave this a 10
    [​IMG]

I really do love it though kii

Serg., Lila, Dijah. and 19 others like this.
  14. Not me just now realising that this was a lyric in Bang Bang and that Nicki was worldbuilding with the dick bicycle line in Side to Side.

tenor (74).gif

15. It means that the song was played more from Ariana's album than from Jessie J's, meaning the sales were contributing towards Ariana's My Everything and taken away from Jessie J's album.
    Also...

Wikipedia dragging Jessie makes me holler every time.

Lila, Music Is Life, junkos and 4 others like this.
  16. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

This solo performance of Ari's where she does ALL the parts is still a moment though.

17. Sorry but it's an absolute banger (pun intended) and if it wasn't for Jessica's presence most of y'all would be stanning.

18. Not you using the cover art with the unflattering screenshot from "Pills N Potions" that Nicki forced them to switch out for a different photo.

19. I'd completely forgotten that I gave "Bang Bang" an 8.0. It's a mess, but it does low-key slap.

I do love that despite the track featuring two competent vocalists (although I'm sure that some of y'all will argue that Jessie J isn't one), the chorus seems to be sung by an uncredited background vocalist.

Aester and savilizabeths like this.
  20. Bang Bang is an unlistenable mess. What a horrible chorus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.