☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 100 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. "MY HEART IS STUCK IN BUMPER TO BUMPER TRAFFIC. I'M UNDER PRESSURE CAUSE I CAN'T HAVE YOU THE WAY THAT I WANT. LET'S JUST GO BACK TO THE WAY THAT IT WAS WHEN WE WERE ON HONEYMOON AVENUE."

DESERVED TOP 10 YOU TASTELESS HEATHENS. Can't believe I called it.

So happy to see a write-up from you @savilizabeths! And very happy about your life update! Good luck on the moving, and if you ever need to talk, you know that I'm here and you can always message me.

soratami, Aester, BeingNormal and 7 others like this.
  2. Seriously the lack of taste shown here, that song is top 5 material right.

3. "Honeymoon Avenue" really used to be my favorite Ariana song until "in my head" and [redacted song that I will give an 11 in a future rate] came along, like...

soratami, Dijah., BeingNormal and 7 others like this.
  4. Lovely to see your write-ups again @savilizabeths! beautiful write up for a beautiful song. Honeymoon Avenue is a career highlight and the fact it was one of her first songs...sorry but when will your faves with many years in the business?

5. Yeah I get that i's a 'pretty song' but "better than every song on My Everything" it is not. Nonsense. Should've been a double elimination with My Way.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    savilizabeths likes this.
  6. Honeymoon Avenue is just beautiful. Should have been at least top 20.

savilizabeths and Music Is Death like this.
  7. I feel like I'm not surprised this is leaving before the top 20.

[​IMG]

☁️ DANGEROUS WOMAN ☁️

Average: 8.68

All girls wanna be like that
    Bad girls underneath like that
    You know how I'm feeling inside

High: 27x10s (@savilizabeths @Dijah. @GimmeWork @WhatKindOfKylie? @Dangerous Maknae @fatyoshi @junkos @Espeon @Ugly Beauty @ufint @elektroxx @Sanctuary @slaybellz @Crisp X @Slice of Life @Wired Life @138Prince @Vixen @SlowGinFizzzz @reputation. @Remorque @Laurence @superultra @Music Is Death @citoig @Sail On @Blond) 5x9.5s (@Sprockrooster @RMK @BreatheBox @Holly Something @Laura Vanderbooben) 10x9s (@soratami @DJHazey @boombazookajoe @CorgiCorgiCorgi @maikos87 @daninternational @Serg. @livefrommelbs @TwistedInnocence @Ana Raquel)
    Low: 1x4 (@happiestgirl) 1x5 (@Robsolete) 4x6s (@2014 @Milotic @Petty Mayonnaise @blaze_dave)
    Total Points: 633.5
    @Host's Score: 10
    My Score: 10

An iconic lead single falls just before we get to the top 20. And I have to say, I've always felt like the forum reception to this song was a bit mixed, so I'm glad this didn't fall sooner, and made the top 25. Also, I'm going to warn y'all now this might be a tad shorter then my usual write-ups, cause I don't really have a lot to say about this song.

That said, this is just such a sexy song, isn't it? If your temperature doesn't rise at least a little bit the second that guitar starts playing, then you might need to test your libido. It's slow, sensual and passionate, with Ari's vocal delivery perfectly balancing a sort of coy sweetness in the verses, before amping uip the heat for the pre-chorus into the chorus. It's a pretty simple song musically, keeping the focus on the guitars, with a wonderful bass and steady beats throughout, as well as some synths, turning the song into a strange mix of pop, R&B and rock, helped by that guitar solo, which continues to give me life to this day. For me personally, everything comes to a head when we hit the bridge. It feels like a call to arms, tellimg all women to come together and unleash their bad ass selves. With the explosive production, the shouted "Hey"s from the men, and Ari's immacualte voice, it just elevates the song to a 10 for me. Also, fun fact: for a while, I used to think the lyric was "You know how I'm feeling inside and out" and was very confused when I realized I was wrong. Anwyays, once that part finsihes and we get into the guitar solo, I'm always hooked, line and sinker, and when Ari goes off vocally for the final chorus adlibs - whew, my wig is always snatched! And the outro with the vocodered "Yeah, there's somethin' 'bout you boy" with Ari's vocals on top of it - mmmm perfection, and what a moment on album full of them. And I suppose I should mention that the song has been compared to Arethra Franklin's (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman, mainly because of the main lyric hooks in both songs, and the R&B vibe of the production in Dangerous Woman. There really isn't anything else that's similar between the two, and even that's a bit of a stretch. But I figured I should mention it since pretty much none of you did.

Speaking of which, guess it's time to give y'all the floor, huh? Let's start with lowest scorer @Milotic (6), who isn't even all that negative: Don't come for meeee; this has never been one of my favorites! I enjoy the chorus, but the rest of the song isn't my taste, per se. That's totally understandable. Now, on to the highish scores! @RUNAWAY (8) actually comes off more negative then his score would imply ddd: kind of growing tired of this song honestly. It was liek...a moment upon release, but I'm okay with it not going very far in this rate. She's done so much better than this song. That's fair I guess, but I think it continues to be a moment. Well-known wordsmith @pop3blow2 (8.25) didn't have much to say about this one: This is fine, but just never clicked with with me. Me, with most songs that I give 7s and 8s to in rates so, basically we're the same sometimes dddd. And Twitter icon @chrismoyer (8.5) keeps it short and sweet: A good song! It’s just a solid single. The song is iconic now. I see no lies. Maybe an understatement or two, but no lies.

Now, onto our highest scorers! @daninternational (9) praises Ari's album naming skills: As a title track it works, but this album had better uptempos The song is mid-tempo anyway dddd. @BreatheBox (9.5) is simply in awe: The atmostphere….. Perfection, isn't it? Eventually, @Sprockrooster (9) saw the light: This grew so much on me. Such a classic now. Glad you made it [email protected] (9) reminisces about the song's release: This was such moment of Ariana presenting a new woman, one who was ready to take even more control of her artistic expression. Call this the obvious presentation of that narrative, lyrically and delivery combined. Somethin' bout something bout the melody of the chorus had alot forum members up in a tizzy as it being too recognizable or something, I can't remember exactly. Anyhow, there was definitely a dividing line between those who hated this with a passion and those who stanned. Dddd it really was a moment in her artistic identity ddd. Hope you're glad it made it so far. @Holly Something (9.5) is here to speak facts: The vocal on this is insane. Yes. It is. @138Prince (10) reminds us that there's a genre Ari hasn't done enough of: Blues Woman… iconic. I honestly would love a full on blues album from her. @Crisp X (10) rightly stands the finale: An anthem. The way she ate that monstrous final chorus. A performance for the ages. She. Did. That. @reputation. (10) is confused: The hatred this one gets (I didn’t know it was hated until I joined this forum actually??) is so baffling to me. Fantastic song. Still one of my favorites from her and one of the best on the album. Yeah, I don't get it either. I'm glad we were able to get it so far though. @Blond (10) stans with the rest of us: A divisive single for sure but I fucking love this. And for me this contains her best vocals, especially when she performs it live. It really is one of her best. Queen. @Dijah. recognizes the impact: The power that this has. The influence that this has. The international implications that this has. The VOCALS that this has. NOT everyone has this. Exactly. @superultra (10) lists off reasons why this is perfection: I’m well aware of the divisive nature of this song, but I think this song is… kind of immaculate. Like, her vocals are undeniable, the lyrics are deliciously provocative, and she ate it up. Remember the acapella video of this? Periodt. Whew, that video. Amazing. And finally, @Laurence (10) takes us out with this: [​IMG] Perfect use of this gif.

8. I'm a little surprised that "Dangerous Woman" did receive a single 11.

I'm still waiting for Visual 2, tbh.

9. Dangerous Woman nearly nabbed my 11. Such a behemoth of a song and a great reset after Focus. Plus, the fact that she performed it with Xtina made my heart explode!

10. sumpthinboutsumpthiBOUH

11. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

YOUR TOP TWENTY ARIANA SONGS

[​IMG]
    The Way (featuring Mac Miller)

[​IMG]
    One Last Time
    Break Free (featuring Zedd)
    Love Me Harder (with The Weeknd)

[​IMG]
    Into You
    Side to Side (featuring Nicki Minaj)
    Greedy
    Touch It
    Knew Better / Forever Boy
    Thinking Bout You

[​IMG]
    God is a Woman
    Everytime
    Breathin’
    No Tears Left to Cry
    Goodnight n Go

[​IMG]
    NASA
    Bloodline
    Bad Idea
    Ghostin’
    Thank U, Next

Fifteen of these songs have received at least one 11, and all twenty songs have received at least twenty-three 10s apiece.

Which ten deserve to make it to the home stretch?

12. In no order:
    Into You
    Love Me Harder
    Knew Better / Forever Boy
    no tears left to cry
    One Last Time
    thank u, next
    Greedy
    Touch It
    everytime
    ghostin'

But a good portion of songs I did not mention could make it into the top 10 and I wouldn't be mad, a discography.

savilizabeths and Music Is Death like this.
  13. Except for Yours Truly, the top 20 is more balanced then I thought it would be. Here are the songs I'd be okay with making the top 10. So basically let this be the top 15/16. Yes I am hoping for a tie or two.
    YOUR TOP TEN ARIANA SONGS

[​IMG]
    The Way (featuring Mac Miller)

[​IMG]
    One Last Time
    Break Free (featuring Zedd)
    Love Me Harder (with The Weeknd)

[​IMG]
    Into You
    Greedy
    Touch It
    Thinking Bout You

[​IMG]
    God is a Woman
    Everytime
    Breathin’
    No Tears Left to Cry
    Goodnight n Go

[​IMG]
    Bloodline
    Bad Idea
    Ghostin’

14. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Fffff the way (feat. Mac Miller) it looks like this is the official recap of what's left.

@Music Is Death serving
    [​IMG]

15. Literally my forum brand at this point nn.

16. That is a very, very strong top 20.

17. I - what.

I actually don't even understand how Dangerous Woman is considered divisive and how it didn't even make top 20. It's fucking immaculate. It's serving amazing r&b with amazing vocals. Robbed. Shocked at some of those low scorers too.

18. Y'all are going to think that I'm basic, but here's my ideal Top 10 (in alphabetical order):

• "bad idea,"
    • "bloodline,"
    • "breathin',"
    • "everytime,"
    • "god is a woman,"
    • "into you,"
    • "love me harder (with The Weeknd),"
    • "no tears left to cry,"
    • "side to side (featuring Nicki Minaj),"
    • "thank u, next."

Insert cloud emoji here.

19. One Last Time
    Into You
    Side to Side (featuring Nicki Minaj)

God is a Woman
    No Tears Left to Cry
    Goodnight n Go

NASA
    Bad Idea
    Ghostin’
    Thank U, Next

A top 10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.