☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 106 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. Ariana has the best everytime I think.

londonrain likes this.
  2. The other girls can only wish!

The synths coming in at 0:55... I don't know a better woman

londonrain and berserkboi like this.
  3. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Time to eliminate my favourite Ariana Grande song.

A song that sums up what I actually enjoy most about her music.

[​IMG]

☁️ SIDE TO SIDE☁️
    (FT. NICKI MINAJ)

Average: 8.911

Kissing me, copped the blue box that say Tiffany
    Curry with the shot, just tell 'em to call me Stephanie
    Gun pop and I make my gum pop
    I'm the queen of rap, young Ariana run pop

High: 10x26 (@Sprockrooster, @soratami, @Dijah., @GimmeWork, @DJHazey, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @RMK, @Dangerous Maknae, @junkos, @Holly Something, @ufint, @daninternational, @elektroxx, @TwistedInnocence, @VitaminBee, @RUNAWAY, @Ana Raquel, @Wired Life, @Vixen, @SlowGinFizzzz, @Remorque, @Laurence, @Music Is Death, @citoig, @Sail On, @Blond)
    Low: 5x1 (@fatyoshi)
    Total Points: 650.5

So... the thing that I most enjoy about Ariana is her ability to take lyrics about sex and make them somehow simultaneously explicit and playful, both lascivious and euphoric. Don't get me wrong: I happily bopped to the likes of Problem and Bang Bang back in the day and I can't deny the lyricism of songs like Ghostin, but what makes Ariana distinctively Ariana for me (apart from her difficulty enunciating her consonants) is how expert she is at articulating desire in a pop song without having to dress it up with euphemisms. The pairing of Ariana and Nicki doesn't feel like a case of a rapper being brought in to say what Ariana can't: it feels like a natural and well-matched duo vocalising their respective experiences of being railed, and I love it. (Ugh, remember when Nicki was actually fun to stan and wasn't openly enabling sex offenders?)

When the last Ariana discography rate happened, Side to Side wasn't yet a single (although a video had been shot) and it placed at #19 with an average of 8.24. I can't tell if the improvement in performance here is because of the single effect or because more of you appreciated the sheer energy of the song, but I'm glad it happened. (That rate elimination also educated me on what a 'wrist icicle' was. And here I thought it was a diamond bracelet or something.)

Before we move on to the commentary, I have to include this iconic commentary from @RJF in the last rate:

@Dijah. (10) - What can I say? Young Ariana run pop.

@Laurence (10) - A clear 10, what a bop. Even though Nicki is there, we gotta stan.

@blaze_dave (8) - when I found out what this song was about...

@daninternational (10) - What a run of songs. Theme, lyrics, music, 10s across the board. #dickbicycle

@DJHazey (10) - The swaying aesthetics of the production, the dirty synths as the song progresses towards the chorus, and the actual explosion of said chorus. Genius video to go along with it as well. The anthem about getting the D that's really awe-inspiring considering there really isn't another one in recent pop memory that has less-chill in the lyrics than we have here (I mean come on, "dick bicycle" for God's sake ddd), leaving nothing to the imagination yet it still grabbed the general public's attention and became a pretty decent sized hit. There's a few metaphors in there, I'm sure you all can pick them out *wink*

@Milotic (9) - Insanely catchy, and the bottom anthem to end all bottom anthems. I stan.

@Cutlery (8) - I think this would be a stone cold classic for me if a) Nicki's contribution didn't feel so undercooked and underused b) The sound was even more reggae, and less a chill version of it, if that makes sense?

@superultra (7.5) - This might be my least favorite single from this album (besides “Everyday”). On*ka bodied her verse, though. She didn’t lie when she said, “Young Ariana run pop.”

@Crisp X (8.5) - Give me that reggae pop summer bop I crave.

@RUNAWAY (10) - honestly, this song is everything. I feel like this song will still sound good 20 years from now. It feels very of it’s time, but also like it’ll become a classic if that makes sense. Also, her performance of it on the Tonight Show with Kim Possible’s pants was incredible. She killed it doing Nicki’s rap. I already loved the song, but that performance took it to a whole other level for me.

@pop3blow2 (8.5) - I like her vocal a lot here. Song has a pretty good vibe.

@BreatheBox (9.25) - We stan a top 5 hit!

@chrismoyer (7.5) - It’s an iconic song and is very solid overall, I’ve just heard it so much so i’m kind of sick of it lol!

4. Yeah there is no way Side to Side ever ages.

I understand Break Free did that for a lot of you but let me have this.

Dijah., Ugly Beauty and londonrain like this.
  5. Side To Side, is just great. The biggest hit from Dangerous Woman too.

londonrain likes this.
  6. the way i keep forgetting this rate is still going on nn

londonrain likes this.
  7. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Well, you’d better remember now, because this rate is going to be done by mid-January and you’ll just end up falling behind.

(And to anyone being sceptical: this is FAR from my first time taking over for the home stretch of a rate, and people who’ve seen me do this before know I tend to pick up the pace!)

Laurence, ohnostalgia, Blond and 4 others like this.
  8. What is a @londonrain? Well he is a

Of course!

Can I be your Dale/Tac?

djmakemewet, Aester, Milotic and 4 others like this.
  9. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I used to stan them so much when I was in kindergarten!

And yes, obviously.

10. Werq! Let me keep a tab open!

11. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Oh, you all wanted to keep quiet after Side to Side got eliminated?

Well, enjoy the peace while it lasts. After this elimination, there's only one song left in the running that hasn't received at least one 11 (and, interestingly, it's outlasted a song with four 11s and a song with five 11s).

But in the meanwhile, it's goodbye and goodnight to...

[​IMG]

☁️ THANK U, NEXT☁️

Average: 8.976

I know they say I move on too fast
    But this one gon' last
    'Cause her name is Ari
    And I'm so good with that

High: 10x35 (@dylanaber, @Sprockrooster, @2014, @soratami, @savilizabeths, @Dijah., @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Dangerous Maknae, @junkos, @Espeon, @Ugly Beauty, @ufint, @daninternational, @aux, @Laura Vanderbooben, @TwistedInnocence, @RUNAWAY, @Sanctuary, @Ana Raquel, @slaybellz, @Slice of Life, @138Prince, @Vixen, @SlowGinFizzzz, @reputation., @Remorque, @ysev, @Laurence, @superultra, @japanbonustrack, @sapnu puas, @Music Is Death, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @citoig, @pop3blow2)
    Low: 6x3 (@Milotic, @DJHazey, @Hurricane Drunk)
    Total Points: 655.25

Our final song to fall short of a 9+ average is the lead single from Ariana's fifth album, and let's just say the top 12 ended up comfortably ahead of the competition. To me, Thank U, Next is more of a moment than a song, with the smashed YouTube, Spotify and Vevo records, the #1 debut in the US (marking Ari's long-awaited first Hot 100 #1), the self-referential single cover (including a screenshot of one of Ari's own tweets) and that video, featuring an appearance from Kris Jenner playing Ariana's mother in an homage to Mariah Carey's favourite film, Mean Girls.

[​IMG]

Much as I enjoy her effectively sticking two fingers up at the people who enjoy trying to figure out who a female popstar's lyrics are about by doing Da Vinci Code-style interpretations on every word, the actual tune is... a cute little frippery. It's nice but nowhere near the first song I'd think of when asked to name an Ariana Grande song, and the lack of 11s for such a ubiquitous smash probably indicates that it hasn't quite achieved that preeminence in the voters' minds either.

@Sprockrooster (10) - Iconic video.

@superultra (10) - This song literally impacted the zeitgeist. Like, people would not stop saying “thank u, next” on social media and everything. More importantly, though, this song showed that she possessed grace in a time where she could have been petty and vindictive. Instead of trashing former flames, she thanked them for the love they gave her at a time where she needed it. She kept it classy and ended up with a #1 smash because of it. Love that for her.

@reputation. (10) - Loved this one so much since day one. <3

@Dijah. (10) - I’ll never get sick of this little bop with its cute-ass production and uplifting lyrics.

@Cutlery (9) - I'd like to say this has become less of a great song for me after the heavy rotation over a year and a half, but I still think it's a fine moment for her. A cultural reset, if you will.

@RUNAWAY (10) - and this song is a smash. I still love this song. The verses are some of her best of all time, and that video was a true cultural moment.

@DJHazey (6) - Eh, for the most part it's alot more enjoyable when compared to hearing it on release and repeating the "thank u, next" statement, and moving on to the next song on the Release Radar that day. The chorus still isn't up to much though.

@Crisp X (8.5) - I appreciate that it has quickly become a significant song culturally, but it has been a bit overplayed and I'd rather listen to almost anything else from that album.

@Milotic (6) - I like the overall message of the song, but something about it has kept me from really liking it ever since it first came out. I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason, but this just isn't that good to me. Not bad either, but just... meh.

@daninternational (10) - A moment, every time

@Holly Something (8) - The video is cute but not a massive fan of this one.

@pop3blow2 (10) - Pretty classic. The song is great & the video iconic. I think what makes it all so special and takes from a 9 -10 for me is something completely arbitrary: How unexpected it was. I fully thought she'd take a break after the run she had had. But no, girl just dropped another album in everyone's laps while she was still promoting a damn classic released only months earlier. Turn the industry on its head, queen! She is so chaotic! .... (chaotic good, I think/hope.)

@chrismoyer (7) - Her signature song now. I enjoy it, but it’s just so overplayed. I do still love it though. The video is iconic and seeing it on tour was iconic. I love that she says her ex's names and I can tell it’s an emotional song for her. I still bop to it, not gonna lie. It’s a great song.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  12. Should've been gone ages ago. A crime that it has the honor of being her first #1.

13. I hate it here...

14. Thank U Next is better than Break Free though.... make it make sense.

soratami, elektroxx, Dijah. and 8 others like this.
  15. The way I'm losing 10s one after another and I still have a lot of 10s left. Feeling like @Maknae Is Death right now.

16. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Oh, and the two songs remaining that will miss the top ten have a total of seven 11s between them.

Feel free to guess what they are... if you dare.

[​IMG]

17. Finally.

DJHazey, Milotic and londonrain like this.
  18. Are we sure that Break Free wasn't eliminated around 30 placements ago it certainly should've and we all just missed it somehow?

elektroxx, Dijah., Ashling92 and 2 others like this.
  19. If Break Free doesn't leave before the top 10 this whole thing is rigged.

20. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Ddddd it's not even your lowest score remaining, sis.

elektroxx, SlowGinFizzzz and Espeon like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.