☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 107 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. I sent that ballot like a year ago, I'm not the same faguette anymore. #growth

Edit: But the one with the lower score should've left quite a while ago too.

2. Very surprising, thought it would be at least top 10.

slaybellz likes this.
  3. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I don't get how Thank U Next attracts hate? It's amazing.

4. The release day of thank u, next was a MOMENT for me, a real game changer.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  5. I was going to say... I'm surprised my 11 is still in. I think it'll go before the top 10. I also think I gave Break Free too high of a score.

londonrain likes this.
  6. The way I cry at least a little every time I listen to thank u, next. A moment.

soratami, Dijah. and londonrain like this.
  7. Oh you're allergic too?

8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Nobody gave it less than a 6. Hate is a strong word. There's still a 3 floating around in the rate...

elektroxx likes this.
  9. Sometimes I just can't with you

soratami, londonrain and Verandi like this.
  10. Thank U, Next is undeniably a very cute song. But it's also extremely slight for such a huge, defining hit.

GimmeWork, elektroxx and londonrain like this.
  11. Yeah and it was absolutely useless and clearly held no weight. Should have zeroed!

londonrain likes this.
  12. I remember hating "thank u, next" when it was first released because it meant that the sweetener campaign had come to an early end before my favorite song on the album—"everytime"—could be released as a single, although that was never going to happen. I do like it now, but I do think that the video has a lot to do with that.

londonrain likes this.
  13. "thank u, next" is surely Thee iconic, lightning in a bottle pop moment of the last few years. It's still hard to believe that whole two-year period of this woman's life (or maybe we're still in it?) is real. I believe it's absolutely fine not to divorce a song like this from the circumstances it arose from, which is why I find it a little bizarre to call it "slight" considering how loaded with grief and trauma every bit of it is just beneath the shimmering surface. What makes it a 10, and inevitably her signature single for the foreseeable future, is that although it totally pulls off "airy fun bop that soundtracked every autumn 2018 memory" it's also an incredibly complicated and weird thing to exist in the first place.

14. Watch the sermon y'all and find God. Leave my baby alone!

15. If you cry every time you hear Thank U, Next, do you go to the emergency room every time you hear ghostin?

Mushroom, Aester, Dijah. and 3 others like this.
  16. I rarely listen to ghostin' for exactly this reason.

Aester, londonrain and GimmeWork like this.
  17. As if your soul is still entrapped inside your body after listening to it, hence your body has been ghosted by your soul.

londonrain and MilesAngel like this.
  18. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

You know how I said the two remaining songs to miss the top 10 had seven 11s between them?

Let's take out four of them at once now.

On the plus side... um, we're past the 9.00 mark, so there's that, I guess.

[​IMG]

☁️ GOODNIGHT N GO☁️

Average: 9.106

Oh, why'd you have to be so cute?
    It's impossible to ignore you, ah
    Why must you make me laugh so much?
    It's bad enough we get along so well
    Just say goodnight and go

Let me start off by saying this: I adore the original version of Goodnight and Go. It's the highlight of Imogen Heap's Speak for Yourself, one of my favourite albums of 2006, and the lyricism and production perfectly capture the playfulness and frustration of being intensely attracted to someone but not yet being able to act on it. Ariana put a clip of the song on her Instagram story ahead of the release of Sweetener, and I honestly did not realise she was such an Imogen Heap stan.

Ariana was one of the first people to use Imogen Heap's mi.mu gloves, which enable you to use your arms and hands as musical instruments. Ari used them for performances of Why Try on the Honeymoon Tour as well as on her covers of Imogen's song Hide and Seek (which was the single that preceded Goodnight and Go).

When asked about the cover, Imogen said:

"Well, she tweeted a little thing -- this melody that comes in at the end -- it was really beautiful. I was like that’s so nice -- sounds better than I did. Then she kept tweeting about it and people were like, “Are you going to do a cover of 'Goodnight and Go' on Twitter?” Her brother Frankie Grande sent me a text with the song, and I heard it and thought it was really great. I loved it. I’m so happy -- I’m smiling now. It feels like a gift: when somebody that famous picks up on a song that has had its day and gives it a second life, it’s a real gift. I think she’s done a lovely version of it. I love that saucy verse she’s put in there and twisted it up at the end. What’s not to like? Not to get too gross about money, but it’s huge for me to have one track on a big album. One song on her album is like ten of my albums, so it’s pretty cool. It’s like a gift."

If you're upset about this elimination, spare a thought for poor @happiestgirl, who has a single 10 left in the rate. That's right... only one of the remaining eleven songs got a 10 from her, and you eliminated her 11 at #12.

@aux (6) - Sorry y'all, had this been a straight up cover, it would have been a ten. The changes don't work when the original is an 11.

@Dijah. (10) - She snapped. Nobody can do a dreamy aesthetic like her.

@Milotic (9) - This would've been a 10 for me when I first heard it, but It's fallen off a bit for me since then. However, still a great song, and a great reimagining of an Imogen classic

@daninternational (8) - cute

@Cutlery (9.5) - Anything Imogen Heap, I gladly eat up. Ariana's rendition is so good, taking it easy for most of the song until unleashing the second verse/outro combo. And of course updating it to a more accessible sound flawlessly. Thinking all the COIN Ms. Heap made from the royalties, ugh!

@superultra (10) - Immaculate.

@Crisp X (9) - I wish this had a slightly less thin production, because otherwise this comes close to Imogen's classic.

@RUNAWAY (10) - this iconic cover/remix does everything I needed from Ari. I love her love for Imogen. I need an Imogen produced album, because that would literally kill me.

@chrismoyer (10) - Like everytime, this was a major highlight when someone is listening to the album. It is a MAGICAL song. So pretty and makes me emotional and the fact that she always got emotional while performing it omg. I was lucky to HEAR IT LIVE. What a magical cover of the Imogen Heap song.

@Laura Vanderbooben (11) - I could give Ariana about twenty 11s, but this is the one that jumps out to where I'm currently at. Between Imogen being my first ever concert and Ariana being the only girl I really Doberman stan, it's the perfect marriage, and she knocked it out of the park. I adore this track.

@VitaminBee (11) - As an Imogen Heap fan, I was more than happy to see Ariana finally show some of her own love for the artist on one of her albums. I appreciate that Ariana did her own thing while also respectfully covering the song. It’s such a beautiful track and is definitely one of the highlights from Sweetener.

@pop3blow2 (10) - Just special. I love that as someone who thinks they know a lot about music, I don’t even know what to call this. It’s not really a cover nor is technically an interpolation. She doesn’t technically sample the original, either. It’s like some entirely new creation & fascinating meta-take on ‘cut & paste’ culture in it’s own way. It’s the complete reinvention on certain musical concepts. In some ways, it’s my favorite thing Ariana has ever done. It really breaks the mould.

I love Imogen’s original, but if you’re being honest… her version is a bit sad, stalkery & creepy. It’s from the point of view of someone with extreme social anxiety following someone around & imaging this great romance with them. It’s obsessive & unhealthy.

Ariana mixes it all up into something a lot more euphoric, upbeat, & positive. I find this whole concept pretty amazing & quite possibly the mission statement & meta-meaning of the whole Sweetener project. Ariana was taxed with trying to find positivity in a pretty bleak place in her life. She turned to one of her musical heroes, Imogen Heap. In doing so, she very methodically chose one of her songs that is pretty anxiety riddled in its original form. Rather than just cover it, she decided to completely dismantle it & rebuild it in a new & more positive way. It’s very much a metaphor for where she was at in so any ways while making Sweetener. It’s simply amazing & absolute achievement. It was the moment on the album where I just finally got Ariana Grande as an artist & was completely enthralled with her creativity.

19. Ari and Immi full collab album WHEN

20. oh good job me for 11-ing this, you tasteless whores. Not top 10? hateful notorious queers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.