☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 108 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. Finally some of my low scores are starting to leave. itsbeen84years.gif

I love the original song and this version doesn't really do anything for me.

londonrain likes this.
  2. Goodnight n Go is easily her most relatable song for me. The way it captures the feelings of being a hopeless romantic and being in unrequited love is just... amazing. It should've been top 10 easily, but the number of 11s it received warms my heart.

3. HOW are there still My Everything songs other than Love Me Harder still in?

4. I knew it was my 11 going. Absolutely brutal. This is such a great track/cover/whatever you want to call it. While it does use the original Imogen Heap track at the beginning, it takes off and goes into some truly special places.
    I’m genuinely shocked she hasn’t done the Taylor route and asked for Imogen to produce a song for her. I understand it’s sort of out of her sound right now but I could see them creating something truly special together.

Music Is Death and londonrain like this.
  5. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

One Last Time and Break Free are pop bops. You’re surprised because...?

Also, if you thought One Last Time was due for an early exit even after the whole Manchester Arena thing, I don’t know what to say to you.

6. What a song this truly is.

Ashling92 and londonrain like this.
  7. Can we please get rid of "Break Free" next?

8. 'goodnight n go' was one of the most unexpected moments of music magic I experienced in the 2010s. As sort of a cover junkie, her take on Imogen was a mind-bogglingly brilliant moment, on an album that is filled with many of those, for me.

It's not my favorite song on the album, but it really is the one that distills everything I love about it into one song. I really wish it had made the top 10. *so close*

9. This like re-living your #antiNatalia&Nicola agenda in the Quirky Pop rate. Make the nightmare stop!

londonrain and soratami like this.
  10. I wouldn't say that I was anti-Natalia. I just hated "Kill My Boyfriend."

londonrain, DJHazey and soratami like this.
  11. Fair, I just remember you hating all my favs!

londonrain, elektroxx and soratami like this.
  12. To be fair, you hated my faves as well.

londonrain and soratami like this.
  13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

@DJHazey and @elektroxx fighting over whether Break Free should leave next:

[​IMG]

@DJHazey after this elimination:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ☁️ BREAK FREE☁️
    (FT. ZEDD)

Average: 9.140

Thought of your body, I came alive
    It was lethal, it was fatal
    In my dreams it felt so right
    But I woke up every time

High: 11x3 (@2014, @DJHazey, @TwistedInnocence), 10x35 (@Sprockrooster, @GimmeWork, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @RMK, @Dangerous Maknae, @lemonsqueezyy, @junkos, @myblood, @BreatheBox, @Espeon, @Holly Something, @Ugly Beauty, @maikos87, @ufint, @daninternational, @aux, @Milotic, @Hurricane Drunk, @Laura Vanderbooben, @livefrommelbs, @VitaminBee, @Robsolete, @RUNAWAY, @Ana Raquel, @SophiaSophia, @reputation., @Remorque, @Laurence, @Endothelium, @japanbonustrack, @sapnu puas, @Music Is Death, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @citoig, @Blond)
    Low: 5.5x1(@Wired Life)
    Total Points: 667.25

Missing the top ten by the tiniest of margins is Break Free. If even one voter had raised their score by a quarter of a point then Break Free would be in the top ten of this rate.

Break Free contains the first ever "featuring" credit for Russian producer ZaddZedd. Remember when Zedd used to be able to score top 10 hits in the UK and US? Interestingly, the only other single on which Zedd accepted a "featuring" credit was 2016's Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey.

Written by Zedd, Savan Kotecha and Max Martin, Break Free became Ariana's second-highest chart position in both the UK and US at the time, behind previous single Problem, and also became iconic in certain corners of the Internet for the complete nonsense that is the lyrics to its pre-chorus:

I only want to die alive
    Never by the hands of a broken heart
    I don't wanna hear you lie tonight
    Now that I've become who I really are

Rhyming "heart" with "are"? The convoluted metaphor of dying by the hands of a broken heart? The redundancy of "I only want to die alive"? The sheer grammatical incorrectness of "Now that I've become who I really are"? Even now I can't bop to it without having a kii every time those lyrics come on. Imagine poor Ariana having to actually sing them.

@Cutlery (6.5) - There's some nice bits of a great song here and there. It's not fully there though, and it undoubtedly suffers from being too easy to pinpoint to the mid 2010's. Above all, my biggest Problem.mp3 is that the chorus does not explode into the grand thing that it could've been.

@Dijah. (7.5) - I love the unadulterated joy in this song and what it means to Ari’s LGBTQ fans but Zedd’s production has aged like room temperature milk.

@Crisp X (7) - Mild bop but not something I return to, or want to hear from Ariana ever again.

@pop3blow2 (8.5) - I always liked the chorus here, but the verses were always kinda ‘whatever’. It’s pretty good, but I did get tired of it pretty fast when it was popular.

@fatyoshi (6) - Vocals are great. Keep the rest.

@Butterfly (7.5) - Another one which has dated but still goes off.

@GimmeWork (10) - I mean this felt like gay rights when it was released. Such a BPG moment!

@BreatheBox (10) - So many great memories attached to this song….The 10 is for the memories….

@Holly Something (10) - Such a fucking tune!

@chrismoyer (8) - A little dated with the crazy Zedd production, but I know y'all will still rate this high which is fine cause it’s still an anthem, and I still jump and listen to this when I break free from school!!! LMAO!

@superultra (9) - Okay, I hated this song for a minute in high school because I didn’t want Ariana to do EDM and I didn’t think it would suit her, but this song has proven itself to be undeniable—horrendous grammar and all. (Thanks, M*x M*rt*n.)

@Sprockrooster (10) - Antwerp: still ICONIC - that is all.

@Blond (10) - The unabashedly pandering anthem that the gays deserved.

@Laurence (10) - This is a classic, as this came out somewhere where I met my gay besties and we went OFF to this song, and still do for nostalgia reasons. It's cute with the message and LGBTIQA anthem it has now become. So enjoy.

@Music Is Death (10) - This is still such an epic bop after all these years. The production goes awf, and you can always catch me dancing like crazy to it when it comes on. I never really check for Zedd outside of his collabs, but he’s always on point when he works with my faves.

@daninternational (10) - Don't get out of the car Ariana' A karaoke staple and pure perfection from the nonsensical lyrics to the camp video and the EDM trash bits

@TwistedInnocence (11) - This is it. This is my 11!! It's the song I always go to, it's one of my favourite songs of the decade. Its the ultimate BOP. It's the ultimate anthem. The empowering lyrics a cherry on top of the incredible production. A SONG!

@Milotic (10) - One of my best friends and I have such wonderful memories with this song, so it can't get less than a 10 from me. We've seen it performed live 3 times together, and once by Zedd! It probably hasn't aged well, but my rose tinted glasses and I don't care.

@RUNAWAY (10) - I’ve only got three words to say about this song. ARI. AT. ANTWERP. I knew she could sing, OBVIOUSLY, but that was where EVERYTHING changed. In my eyes, she truly became a powerhouse vocalist when she started singing the second verse of this song differently, and that was never evidenced better than in this LIFE CHANGING performance, and that ICONIC thumbnail that I can still see in my head every time I think of this song. So amazing. So incredible. SO LEGENDARY.

@DJHazey (11) - Hmm, I'm switching my 11 up this time. I think back to when this album had just come out and how I literally had this song on everyday, at least a few times a day and know that it's the Ariana song I've probably been the most obsessed with at one point, more than any other. I remember playing it on a loop driving to the next state over to see her live and having my life affirmed by her performance. She did a version of the famous 'Antwerp verse' at my concert too. "This is...the part when, I say I dontwantya, I'm stronger than I been befoooa" = <3 <3 <3 forever.

14. I will always love the anecdote about Max Martin telling Ariana to sing "now that I've become who I really are" because the grammatical error would "be funny."

15. RIGHT BEFORE THE TOP 10??!? I knew this would happen too and all you no fun hacks wouldn't let us that love our basic bops have anything. It gets tiring.

Her enunciations throughout cured my allergies, relieved my headaches, and replenished my electrolytes since 2014. Antwerp Ari is a mantra that will live on forever no matter how many times people want to pull out the "sounds like mid 10s" card, like obviously any song that comes out during anytime that ever existed is going to sound like that time, get over yourselves!

Peace.

londonrain likes this.
  16. Also @2014 and I having the same 11 for anything is like a miracle. Let's celebrate that.

17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

YOUR TOP TEN ARIANA GRANDE SONGS

[​IMG]
    One Last Time
    Love Me Harder (with The Weeknd)

[​IMG]
    Into You
    Touch It
    Thinking Bout You

[​IMG]
    God is a Woman
    Breathin’
    No Tears Left to Cry

[​IMG]
    Bad Idea
    Ghostin’

The four remaining albums have a more or less even split of songs in the top ten, with a few album tracks still sticking around at the expense of some of Ari's most successful singles. Every one of these songs has at least 35 scores of 10 or 11, but one of them has zero 11s and one has a solitary 11. Both of these will be gone by the top five...

...but which ones are they?

18. Look at all these bulletproof pop songs, some not even making the top ten because everything is so good

[​IMG]

19. Also let's celebrate how I have two 9's and eight 10's in the Top 10, not every [email protected] Is Death voter has that.

20. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I......did not realise I gave this my 11, but I'll take it fff. I think my thinking was my actual top 2 (Into You and No Tears Left To Cry fyi) would be safe without my 11, and it is one of my most played Ariana songs so #11 isn't too bad! It's just.......too undeniable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.